Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #1290 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
My only gripe with Guilty Crown is that the show takes itself way too seriously when compared to how goofy the plot is.
Maybe I'm just supposed to not think too hard at how none of it makes sense =/

but... come on, a military/medical group in Japan to help quarantine a deadly genetical disease has a doomsday laser firing satellite.
errrr... yeah.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
Can somebody explain to me what is so great about Guilty Crown?  I'm not trolling or anything, but after reading so many positive comments about it I tried to give it a shot and watched a few eps...but I felt completely let down.  It's just another formulaic sci-fi mecha show with a main character who acquires deus ex machina power and otherwise suffers from generic shounen protagonist syndrome.  I tried to give the show a decent chance so I watched like four episodes but in the end I really couldn't care at all about any of the characters.  And the actual action was uninspired and predictable.  And the overarching storyline is just...stupid.

But I hear so many people going on about how great this show is...I don't get.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 27, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
Can somebody explain to me what is so great about Guilty Crown?  I'm not trolling or anything, but after reading so many positive comments about it I tried to give it a shot and watched a few eps...but I felt completely let down.  It's just another formulaic sci-fi mecha show with a main character who acquires deus ex machina power and otherwise suffers from generic shounen protagonist syndrome.  I tried to give the show a decent chance so I watched like four episodes but in the end I really couldn't care at all about any of the characters.  And the actual action was uninspired and predictable.  And the overarching storyline is just...stupid.

You are not alone.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 27, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »

You are not alone.

Oh oh oh, here's another one. The girl in a wheelchair has nice plump legs with a muscle mass equal to people who walk on them all day long.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1294 on: January 27, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
It's ok. 

I hate plots that involve Jap-anime-magic is (as you said) a Deus Ex Machina and to essentially make the character god-like and wield mass powers like it's nothing..  Robots, weird magic shit, wimpy tit of a hero who makes you love him for having a shining moment.... meh.

I kinda like the twist on it Puella Magi pulled.  Sure, the girl got their uber-magic powers that made them almost unstoppable, but half the series examines at the price you pay for it -- which is a great twist to the genre.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

I've heard similar descriptions from people who liked the show, albeit painted in a more positive light, so it's probably down to tastes. It'd be like me asking "what's so great about Sailor Moon", or, for something you could actually relate to, "what's so great about Final Fantasy 6" - no matter what way you describe it to me, it's probably not gonna appeal to me because we just have completely different tastes.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 27, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

I've heard similar descriptions from people who liked the show, albeit painted in a more positive light, so it's probably down to tastes. It'd be like me asking "what's so great about Sailor Moon", or, for something you could actually relate to, "what's so great about Final Fantasy 6" - no matter what way you describe it to me, it's probably not gonna appeal to me because we just have completely different tastes.

Another way to look at it--and this seems to be the way I've (unconsciously) approached the show--is that you don't always want something trying to revolutionize a genre. Tropes are tropes because they work, and sometimes you just want something that works. This is probably part of the reason why, say, the Tales games are so popular. They don't really do much in the way of "New Thing", but you still might get a good experience out of it.

I'm enjoying Guilty Crown. I may not try to argue that it's the best show of this or last season, but I'm still just enjoying it, tropes and cliches and all.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »

Another way to look at it--and this seems to be the way I've (unconsciously) approached the show--is that you don't always want something trying to revolutionize a genre. Tropes are tropes because they work, and sometimes you just want something that works. This is probably part of the reason why, say, the Tales games are so popular. They don't really do much in the way of "New Thing", but you still might get a good experience out of it.

I'm enjoying Guilty Crown. I may not try to argue that it's the best show of this or last season, but I'm still just enjoying it, tropes and cliches and all.

You bring up a good point. For instance, I really enjoy "generic" shounen protagonists, since they're usually pretty brave, and while they're usually not very smart, they make up for it by having a lot of heart. That's something I can highly respect.

EDIT:

I just heard from a friend that the second season (episode 13 on) is supposed to be better. You might want to keep at it, Kevadu, you might end up liking it later on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:55:13 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »
It should not take 13 episodes for a series to get to the point of being worth watching. I usually have a three episode rule.If a series does not do enough to grab my attention in that amount of time I usually drop it

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
It should not take 13 episodes for a series to get to the point of being worth watching. I usually have a three episode rule.If a series does not do enough to grab my attention in that amount of time I usually drop it

To be quite honest, if I went with a rule like that, I'd miss out on some of my favorite shows, like Gundam and One Piece. All those shows took time to build and got much better as they went along. I always try to finish every show I start, though I'll admit I do tend to be picky when it comes to starting shows. I like to judge the shows I watch thoroughly, and I just can't do that after only a few episodes.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #1300 on: January 29, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
The World only God Knows season 2 episode 1 and 2.  Watched on a whim after taking a break from Season 1 and I can't say I didn't enjoy it.  I can't believe that crazy woman almost chucked a cat off a building.  I guess that's her personal demon for ya.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 29, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
I judge a show like I would when I buy dvds. Back before fansubs became popular and all over the place you were limited to reviews and taking a gamble on a purchase.  25 to 30 bucks for 3 or 4 episodes. If the series didn't catch my interest I was not going to buy the next volume. Even slow building shows need something to grab your attention,  and warrant you spending money on them.  Bakemonogatari  and Spice and Wolf are both slow building  wordy series, but both caught my attention in the first episode.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
I judge a show like I would when I buy dvds. Back before fansubs became popular and all over the place you were limited to reviews and taking a gamble on a purchase.  25 to 30 bucks for 3 or 4 episodes. If the series didn't catch my interest I was not going to buy the next volume. Even slow building shows need something to grab your attention,  and warrant you spending money on them.  Bakemonogatari  and Spice and Wolf are both slow building  wordy series, but both caught my attention in the first episode.

I buy full series (since seriously, $25 for 3 or 4 episodes? I cannot afford that. Less than $50 for a full series is too good of a deal to even entertain the thought of buying individual discs), so I usually like to see things through to the end in order to get my money's worth, even if it doesn't grab me right away.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 29, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
That is how much anime used to cost before slim sets. Boxsets before slim sets became the norm were commonly 200 bucks, sometimes you got lucky, and some series were 100-150.  The VHS era was even worse. Anime is A much cheaper hobby now then it used to be.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #1304 on: January 29, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
That is how much anime used to cost before slim sets. Boxsets before slim sets became the norm were commonly 200 bucks, sometimes you got lucky, and some series were 100-150.  The VHS era was even worse. Anime is A much cheaper hobby now then it used to be.

I distinctly remember riding my bike to the post office so I could send a money order for 2 episodes on VHS for $30+shipping.  What a rip.  Glad it's much cheaper these days.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9