Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318991 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 180 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 242288 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1785 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »

Didn't it have some crazy engrishy subtitle or nickname like the Deathly Cyclone or the Cyclone of Death (or Destruction)?

Also its based off of goddamn Shakespeare. Of course it was going to end up as a miserable little pile of secrets.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1786 on: January 04, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »

Also its based off of goddamn Shakespeare. Of course it was going to end up as a miserable little pile of secrets.

Based on? I know there's a play called "The Tempest," but I thought it was just paying homage rather than, you know, trying to be like a Shakespeare play. Just what I got from a quick look up, though. I could be wrong.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1787 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »

It's definitely more "inspired by" than based on, but there are a lot of Shakespeare references.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1788 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »

Goddamn Blast of Tempest is good.  I feel like an idiot for not starting it sooner.  Looked kind of generic so I skipped over it at first, but then there was a drought of titles at the end of the season and I decided to check it out.  Wow.  It is anything but generic.  Still in the middle of the first season but I have no idea how what is going to happen.  This show constantly keeps you on your toes.

This is probably the best show of last season.  I can't believe I almost missed it...

Edit: Aaaand, just finished watching the second half of the first season in one sitting.  I guess I'm sort of glad I waiting before starting this show, because though it takes a couple eps to get going, once you're into it every single episode ends on a friggin cliffhanger.  It's extremely addictive, the kind of show you really do want to watch all at once.

But holy crap, the cliffhanger at the end of season 1 means I can't wait for season 2...

But seriously, why is it that I haven't heard any buzz about this show?  Forget being my favorite show of the season, it might be my favorite show of the year.  And yet nobody is talking about it...

I should probably give it a try.  I read a few chapters of the manga years ago.  It's by the author who did "Spiral: the bonds of reasoning" and "record of fallen vampire" so I'm a bit wary of it.  Used to be a huge spiral fan but then it got crappy and had an absolutely horrible ending (I have never felt so betrayed).  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:06:35 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1789 on: January 05, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

It's definitely more "inspired by" than based on, but there are a lot of Shakespeare references.

You know what I meant. >:(

Honestly I'd be really surprised if there was a manga or anime adaptation made within the last 5 years that's more based upon rather than "inspired by" like how pretty much every instance of the story Romance of the Three Kingdoms is at best "inspired by" verses actually based upon.

I should probably give it a try.  I read a few chapters of the manga years ago.  It's by the author who did "Spiral: the bonds of reasoning" and "record of fallen vampire" so I'm a bit wary of it.  Used to be a huge spiral fan but then it got crappy and had an absolutely horrible ending (I have never felt so betrayed). 

It has been my experience that such is the case with the majority of manga and anime. I can't count the times when the power levels trailed off into infinity, or how a wizard or other miscellaneous villain suddenly appears having somehow 'did it', or it was all the work of those damn foreigners, or cases of "We decided not to do another season/volume so have a crappy ending where everything is solved forever.", or cases of 'we can't have the 'female' character actually fight the male big bad so instead we're going to take the most prominent male/pull a male hero out of thin air and have him save the day and rescue the female 'main character' as she falls head over heels in love with him.", or cases of "Suddenly! Over the skies of modern day Tokyo! The characters from the hit series/show/game appear to wage their final battle!", and so on....

And if anyone wondered why I don't actively watch anime or read manga, well there you go.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1790 on: January 05, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »

Eh, I've seen worse with most TV shows around here...just saying. :/ Personally, I rarely care how something ends, unless that ending was the entire driving force of the show, which I don't see that often. I care more about the journey than the destination, so to speak.

Anyways, Crunchyroll licensed the only two anime I cared to watch this season, and since next season looks too packed to really leave everything for the end, I think I might actually keep up with them for once. Of course, it'll be ten days before I can actually watch them, so...

Can anyone recommend me a show from last year to watch in the meantime? I'd prefer something a bit short so I can get through a few shows instead of one long one. I've already sampled a few but have yet to finish anything...Also, I'd prefer something that's already finished.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1791 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

You know what I meant. >:(

Honestly I'd be really surprised if there was a manga or anime adaptation made within the last 5 years that's more based upon rather than "inspired by" like how pretty much every instance of the story Romance of the Three Kingdoms is at best "inspired by" verses actually based upon.

OK, but it's not inspired by any particular work by Shakespeare.  There are some pretty obvious allusions to The Tempest but there are also references to Hamlet and other works.  It's not cribbing the plot from any one source is what I meant.  Saying "based on" would really be pushing it.

BTW, I tried reading the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms once (well, a translated version but a pretty literal one), and it is dry as heck.  I couldn't get through it.  Half the book is just like a list of battles and people who fought in them (person A defeated person B then person C defeated person D and on and on and on...).  Turns out literature actually has advanced since then...

Oh yeah, Mickeymac's question.  I don't actually know what you've seen already, but in terms of short-but-good series a couple that come to mind are Kokoro Connect and Another.  Kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum, though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:40:52 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1792 on: January 05, 2013, 11:21:31 PM »

Oh yeah, Mickeymac's question.  I don't actually know what you've seen already, but in terms of short-but-good series a couple that come to mind are Kokoro Connect and Another.  Kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum, though.

Oh, I haven't finished anything from last year, so it doesn't matter if I've seen any off it or not, I'd just use that as extra incentive to finish it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:25:48 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1793 on: January 06, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »

Retailers list Gurren Lagann BD Box with English Subs/Dub in Japan

SEVEN HUNDRED TWENTY ONE US DOLLARS! @A@
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1794 on: January 06, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »

At least it comes with a bunch of extras, like the Parallel Works stuff and the Movies, but still...wow...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1795 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

That might be a little on the high end, but not by much.  This shit is expensive in Japan.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1796 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »

There's a reason for the saying "It's cheaper to be addicted to crack than to anime.".

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1797 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »

There's a reason for the saying "It's cheaper to be addicted to crack than to anime.".
haven't heard that saying in years, lol
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1798 on: January 07, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »

While I'm still open to suggestions, I'll probably start Kokoro Connect soon. Another looks a little too gruesome for me.

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1799 on: January 08, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

While I'm still open to suggestions, I'll probably start Kokoro Connect soon. Another looks a little too gruesome for me.

"Another" did have some disturbing moments.... but damn was it good. I really enjoyed it right from the door. The only other thing that really translate that "mood" to me was playing corpse party on the PSP. Such a rare delicacy that particular flavor of horror is....

Finished the first 24 eps of "A Certain Magical Index".... i'm interested to see where they go with this based on where they have already went.... I hope stiyl gets some more screen time-lol

In the interest of catching up on some "must see" stuff I'm finally going to watch steins gate after being rather dissapointed in chaos: head.... I say "must see" because I "must see" how freakin' convoluted and non-sensical this ends up being.... but hey, who knows... maybe I'll be presently surprised....

On a completely different note... I realized I have never indulged any shonen titles.... I have always more or less just researched specific stuff that it seemed like I would like... never watched any anime on TV or anything since dragon ball z was on fox when I was like 8 years old or something... As such I'm wondering what I've been missing out on and thinking of checking out a couple episodes of bleach, mostly because I just want some background to give the dynasty warrior-like game a try..... this could prove a fools errand... time will tell I suppose 

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 180 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: