Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:38:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 287809 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2175 on: July 22, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

Klyde- Glad you're enjoying Sorcerer Hunters, buddy.  Tira Misu is one of my favorite character designs. 

I recently finished reading all 13 volumes of the Sorcerer Hunters manga.  Very enjoyable series.

Not sure what's next on my anime watching list. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2176 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »

Got around to finally watching Awakening of the Trailblazer a bit ago. It was pretty terrible. Basically nothing happened. Lots of pretty imagery and the last scene would've been pretty touching if I actually gave a shit about what was going on the rest of the movie.

I didn't hear about Gundam Build Fighters until a few days ago, and I'm kinda shocked they're going for another kiddy show when AGE bombed so terribly. Only good thing about the announcement was the HG 1/144 GDX kit coming out. Someday when I'm 45 maybe they'll release an HG Virsago. Oh well, at least I have Unicorn 7 to look forward to, whenever they get around to releasing that...
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2177 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »

Got around to finally watching Awakening of the Trailblazer a bit ago. It was pretty terrible. Basically nothing happened. Lots of pretty imagery and the last scene would've been pretty touching if I actually gave a shit about what was going on the rest of the movie.

I didn't hear about Gundam Build Fighters until a few days ago, and I'm kinda shocked they're going for another kiddy show when AGE bombed so terribly. Only good thing about the announcement was the HG 1/144 GDX kit coming out. Someday when I'm 45 maybe they'll release an HG Virsago. Oh well, at least I have Unicorn 7 to look forward to, whenever they get around to releasing that...

They already did a Gunpla Builders prior to AGE so its not surprising they're doing a second one.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2178 on: July 23, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

Wait, what??? When did this happen!?

...well, at least Gundam X is getting a little bit of attention now. :P I could live without it being in a kiddie show, though...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2179 on: July 23, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »

They already did a Gunpla Builders prior to AGE so its not surprising they're doing a second one.

Yeah but that was like, a 3-episode OVA. This is supposedly a full series.

If they go full "Beyblade Tournament Fighter" on the show I at least could appreciate it for what it is, I suppose. One of the big problems with AGE was that it tried to please everyone and just ended up being horrible at both.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2180 on: July 23, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »

Klyde- Glad you're enjoying Sorcerer Hunters, buddy.  Tira Misu is one of my favorite character designs. 

Wow we really do have similar tastes! I was just coming here to rant for a moment about how much I love Tira and Dotta.

But I am jumping the gun. My Sorcerer Hunters DVD collection arrived and first impressions are very positive.

I am 10 eps in and LOVE this series. It is so thick with classic 90's fantasy anime tone it prompted me to put my mother 3 play-through on hold for an immediate Secret of Mana romp!-LoL

This is like the first three seasons of Slayers to me if Slayers had better humor, a better cast and a better dub. And I really appreciated Slayers.

Its super-rare for something I don't have memories of from childhood to incite such nostalgic pleasure for me. But this does the trick boy!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2181 on: July 23, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »

My favorite ep of Sorcerer Hunters is definitely episode 5 "A Dreamy Girl at Lakeside."  That adventure was not in the manga, but it's easily my favorite Sorcerer Hunters adventure.  Probably because it sweetly highlighted the trait I find most admirable in Carrot.  (And, no, it's not his impeccable taste in women or his fearless perseverance.)     

Kinda interesting how in some movies and TV shows, some of the cooler moments are the ones not in the books.  Like in Godfather, the "leave the gun, don't forget the cannolis" scene is iconic and awesome, but was never in the book.  My favorite scene in the Game of Thrones show was when Jon Snow and Sam Tarly were talking about girls and how Jon didn't want to get a girl pregnant and make another bastard and Sam says, "So... you didn't know where to put it!"  Not in the book, but a great scene. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2182 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »

If they go full "Beyblade Tournament Fighter" on the show I at least could appreciate it for what it is, I suppose. One of the big problems with AGE was that it tried to please everyone and just ended up being horrible at both.

Actually, AGE's biggest problem was that Level 5 has this tendency to make badly written JRPGs aimed almost exclusively at young Japanese boys just like all the other stuff they make.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2183 on: July 24, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »

My favorite ep of Sorcerer Hunters is definitely episode 5 "A Dreamy Girl at Lakeside."  That adventure was not in the manga, but it's easily my favorite Sorcerer Hunters adventure.  Probably because it sweetly highlighted the trait I find most admirable in Carrot.  (And, no, it's not his impeccable taste in women or his fearless perseverance.)     

Kinda interesting how in some movies and TV shows, some of the cooler moments are the ones not in the books.  Like in Godfather, the "leave the gun, don't forget the cannolis" scene is iconic and awesome, but was never in the book.  My favorite scene in the Game of Thrones show was when Jon Snow and Sam Tarly were talking about girls and how Jon didn't want to get a girl pregnant and make another bastard and Sam says, "So... you didn't know where to put it!"  Not in the book, but a great scene. 

Episode 5 totally reveals another side to Carrot, serving well to frame him off with more redeeming and traditional hero/MC qualities early on in the series. I appreciate this in that it makes me see him as more than simply comic relief and helps break his character from a somewhat cliche mold in which he is initially cast. In fact I give credit to the series thus far for not allowing any of the main heroes to fall prey to being neatly categorized or cliche. Initially the cast appeared weak but entertaining to me but now, by episode 11, they are becoming more "themselves" in my eyes and proving very original and "strong" for lack of a better way to put it.

I'll report back with my favorite eps/scenes when I dig a wee bit deeper :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2184 on: July 26, 2013, 04:13:49 AM »

Right now I feel so conflicted about myself. At once I feel incredibly classy as well as trashy and it is all because of what I am watching/reading.

Classy: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know the show is pretty old and a lot of people know about it, but I've run into very few people who have seen it. It is basically SPACE POLITICS the show where Tyrannical Space Nazi's in tight pants fight against a Corrupt & ineffectual Space Democracy. The art and storytelling are incredibly elegant and I couldn't say enough good things about the characters. Because it ran 110 episodes plus OVAs they went cheap and used public domain classical music, but implemented so well that it elevates the action on screen. It does really classy things like introduce the characters with their name as a subtitle, just to remind you of who they are. With a cast this big it really comes in handy early on. It is an adaptation and watching the series mostly makes me want to read the books. If you like Game of Thrones(I know over used, but I feel it works) and you like Anime, you will probably like this.

Trashy: AKB49. I really cannot get enough of this manga. My favourite thing about AKB49 is that is a boys manga about having dreams and being a man, centered around stereotypically feminine things. I have been told that this isn't the first anime/manga to do this and while not surprised I can't think of any examples. I am also a big fan of the cross-dressing element being downplayed and not always being the go to source for laughs or tension. This is nice because it doesn't turn cross-dressing into something to be ridiculed and it isn't a repetitive storytelling device. I don't think I've heard an AKB48 song in my life and while I have no problem with jpop it isn't music I actively seek out, but this story makes me really want to.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2185 on: July 26, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »

I've definitely seen LoGH, Jotacon.  I frequently cite it as one of my favorite animes of all time.  In fact I think I have way back in this very thread somewhere...

Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2186 on: July 26, 2013, 04:43:55 AM »

A quick search shows there was a pretty cool conversation about it around this time last year. Maybe it's something about the summer. I still have 50 something episodes to go, but I don't think I've experienced a bad one. Either way LoGH is awesome and so are you.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2187 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

Best part of the show though is once you realize that (spoilered for the sake of those who haven't watched it yet; go on, watch it; shoo, shoo)
Code:
Vegeeta('s voice actor's character) just took over the universe.

Also there are fewer outright bastards in LoGH than in GoT.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2188 on: July 26, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »

Actually, AGE's biggest problem was that Level 5 has this tendency to make badly written JRPGs aimed almost exclusively at young Japanese boys just like all the other stuff they make.

I'm sure if they only did just that they would get the level 5 fans all over the show. They instead decided to mix horrible level 5 storytelling, typical kiddie tournament fighting anime and awful Gundam tropes all at the same time.

Also, I should really get around to watching LoGH. Guess I need to actually find it first, though.

I am watching the Layzners. I have more hate than love for it so far.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2189 on: July 26, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »

Random suggestion of the day: Brassreiter
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: