Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 02:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331876 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 278581 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2325 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

I still can't get over the fact that they're wearing school uniforms...

OK, they're genetically engineered to be resistant to the whatever (do they ever actually say it's radiation?) so they don't need hazmat suits.  I don't know how plausible that is, really, but I can suspend my disbelief there.

The tl;dr on radioactivity immunity is that its complete bullshit. Every living thing has background radiation impacting it at all times, you eat it, you drink it, you sleep in it, you piss it, you shit it, and so on. The tl;dr on radiation is that its a form of energy and the only things that really impact it are distance and density. And unless you're applying a gratuitous amount of videogame logic to whatever you're writing, chances are the phrase "Immune or resistant to radiation." is complete and total bullshit.

Actually, this sucker's reminding me of the Syfy original movie Atomic Twister in the "Didn't do the research." sort of way. I can't believe it took 3-4 years for Syfy to top that with Sharknado.

Syfy! If you are reading this. I am trademarking Dinocane and I demand $100 dollars for use of the license.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2326 on: October 15, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »

Dude, I'm a nuclear physicist.  I think I know what radiation is.

Also, "immunity" to radiation has little to do with actually stopping the radiation and is more about your cells ability to locate and repair damage to DNA strands, etc before they replicate.  Because that's where the problems start.  And there certainly are some forms of life more resistant to radiation than others, simply because they're better at repairing the damage.  Of course, there's always a limit.  Nothing is totally immune if you increase the dosage enough.  So the flippant disregard these girls seem to have doesn't make a ton of sense, but the idea of genetically engineering people to be more resistant to radiation doesn't seem totally crazy to me.  My doubts are more on the genetic engineering side of things...

(Also, the kind of suits the other people are wearing here wouldn't stop most types of radiation in the first place.  The only thing you can really do is limit exposure, i.e. don't spend too much time in high-radiation areas.  When you see people wear suits like that it's more about limiting contamination to other areas.  You don't want radioactive dust and stuff getting into your hair, clothes, whatever and following you around even after you left a contaminated area.  Nor do you want to breath it in.  But a suit like that isn't going to actually block most radiation or something...)

But then, like I said before they don't technically say that radiation is the problem in the first place.  It could be something else entirely...

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2327 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »

Dude, I'm a nuclear physicist.  I think I know what radiation is.

I did not foresee that....

Anyways, it doesn't matter because there is a difference between "We've made you resistant to radiation to perform rescue missions in contaminated areas." versus "We've made you resistant/immune to radiation so now go wallow in a radioactive zone in nothing but school girl uniforms.".

As for whether this sucker is nuclear or not, it might have been fixed up a bit in the anime but in the manga it's pretty clearly implied to be radiation as the world made Tokyo into a dumping ground for radioactive material for the sake of the world because they have no place to put it and Japan sold itself out for a quick buck plus some conspiracy BS that hasn't been revealed yet (but we all know is coming). It also specifically refers to it as radiation.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2328 on: October 16, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »

As for whether this sucker is nuclear or not, it might have been fixed up a bit in the anime but in the manga it's pretty clearly implied to be radiation as the world made Tokyo into a dumping ground for radioactive material for the sake of the world because they have no place to put it and Japan sold itself out for a quick buck plus some conspiracy BS that hasn't been revealed yet (but we all know is coming). It also specifically refers to it as radiation.

Because when you need a dumping ground for radioactive waste you pick one of the world's most populated cities.  That totally makes sense...

Christ, even if you were going to put it in Japan there are plenty of rural areas where hardly anyone lives...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2329 on: October 16, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »

Because when you need a dumping ground for radioactive waste you pick one of the world's most populated cities.

I don't really remember, but something happened to Tokyo like a reactor exploded or it got nuked.
It's more like "Well, Tokyo is already a nuclear hazard, may as well dump that shit there..."
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2330 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:58 AM »

Kill la Kill ep3: If this show wasn't already a sure bet for me, it sure as hell passed the 3 episode test, because this is what I'm talking about. Some technobabble explanations that could easily be found in a giant robot series, the teacher continuing to be hilariously creepy, and a half-an-episode long showdown between the two main characters set to some rockin' music and both of them netting an upgrade. And really, with all the allegories and references (don't think you've escaped my notice Ideon Gauge), this series could definitely fit into an SRW game.

Majestic Prince eps 3 & 4: It's amusing how this series is nowhere near as raunchy as KlaK yet is far more willing to go for crap like overly endowed females and T&A shots, also the sameface is really off-putting. Anyways, we've got our first idiot commander of the show, the first hints of 'this is obviously an emissary from the aliens character who's been sent to negotiate by lounging around by the Blitzball pool arena with her secret man service butlerguard', and the first set of world building flashbacks (usually the most disregardable due to the amount of useless fakeout information stuffed therein that'll get contradicted over the course of the show). Still, the need for a classic giant robot series is enough for me to stick with this one past the 3 episode test.

The Slayers Next: Yep, trying this again. I'm not going to episodically or bi-episodically post updates on my progress through the show since there's probably enough people who've seen this already, as well as people who mean to watch this and don't need me spoilering it for them.

Pacific Rim: Yeah, it could fit in the movie thread but it also can fit in here and I wound up watching KlaK and all the rest right afterwards. It's too bad the movie bombed at the box office since there's definitely room for a sequel. Also, I was practically counting the Super Robot tropes going on in the movie with everything from
Code:
the bright idea to building a giant wall, and the International House of Robots (kinda saddened at how badly the Chinese and the Russians got jobbed), to the commander dying and getting succeeded by the Aussie father. Ultimately though, I thought there was a little too much team building/drama and needed at least one scrub fight for at least the Chinese to do well against (hell, even Getter Robo's Texas Mac did better than that).

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2331 on: October 19, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »

I had that Pokemon: Kyurem vs The Sword of Justice movie on while I was doing chores around the house.  It was an empty-calorie snack, like cotton candy, and innocuous noise to have on while I was involved with other things, but definitely a blah Pokemon movie, overall.  There wasn't much exploration or a sense of "epic" scale.  Plus, Keldeo looked like a bad My Little Pony reject, which made me snicker. 

It got me to thinking, though.  Which of Ash's traveling companions do you like best? 

When it comes to the guys, Brock is vastly superior to Tracey (completely forgetatble) and Cilan (really lame). 

With the girls, Misty is typical high-strung tsundere, which was entertaining at first, but got old and annoying rather quickly.  May was too moe.  Dawn was better; less moe and, imo, the best looking of Ash's female companions.  Iris seems to have potential; she's like Misty but a lot less annoying, a lot better dressed (her outfit isn't hoochie like some of the other girls' attire) and her Axew is cooler than the other girls' main Pokemon companions.  For some reason, Dawn's probably still my favorite of those, though.     

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2332 on: October 19, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

I vote for Dawn, and Broc if I have to give a male one... but that's more of a win by default.
All the guys in pokemon and either jerks or dopes (or worst, kids) =/
I think the guy I find the most likeable in the whole serie would be Professor Oak.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2333 on: October 20, 2013, 12:10:31 AM »

Ah, another Dawn fan.  Insert Donphan pun here. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2334 on: October 20, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

Monogatari 2nd Season ep. 15: Wow, I did not expect that story arc to end like that.  That's kind of a drastic change in the established status quo...

2nd Season has had its ups and downs, but overall I'd say it's been pretty good.  Much better than Nisemonogatari, at least.  Less fanservice, more plot.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2335 on: October 21, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

Watched one episode of Balck Jack earlier...any thoughts? I'm kinda on the fence.

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2336 on: October 22, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

Watched one episode of Balck Jack earlier...any thoughts? I'm kinda on the fence.

Go for it. It's a classic series (unless you're talking about a different Black Jack; or are you referring to the series Balck Jack, in which case I'm not familiar with it).

Anyways, finally finished SciFi Harry and what an ending (as in a WTF ending). It's us! We're the Accusers!!! Also the main character (what's his name again, man if only they had mentioned it just a few dozen more times, maybe have a couple more scenes of people zoomed in on their faces to minimize the amount of animation needed standing around and saying his name and nothing else, or just have people drop his name in every goddamn sentence (the running gag, if you haven't gotten it yet, is that there is a lot of air time in the show that's eaten up by nothing more than talking heads spouting each other's names at each other, almost like Inuyasha, but without the budget)), and his apparent girlfriend (hey, it's not the first girl at least) apparently managed to perform a fusionha with each other to form some weird amalgamation chimera. Wow what a lot of words for an anime that makes several Hanna Barbera cartoons look decent by comparison.

At least its not as bad as the other series I recently finished, IGPX (yeah, I watched more of this than I should, what can I say, it was between SAO and Clone Wars). Holy shit, what an incredibly bland ending to an incredibly bland show. Pretty much every gimmick used by the final boss was either countered with almost no effort or just straight up got ditched before anything actually came of it (the final boss's final form was such a joke that it fell into the latter), and of course team :moreevil: turns out to be super huge fans all along despite the vast amounts of bullshit they pulled throughout the second half of the show. Looking at the credits, apparently there was quite a bit of talent put behind the series that ended up getting completely wasted on such an awfully bland show (which is goddamn tragic when you consider all the other original series made for Toonami that got canned for all the wrong reasons). It's like the Toki Towa of anime. I said it before and I'll say it again, Optimus Prime wasn't enough to salvage the show despite his best efforts (at least the two episodes where he got to drive in the race were the best episodes of the show I saw and I highly doubt there was anything in the episodes that I didn't that could even come close).

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2337 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Finally got my act in gear and watched Shiki over the past few days. Easily my newest favorite horror show. Very nice to see moments of genuine horror while actually making me respect vampires again. Shiki pretty much single handedly undid all damage caused by the post-Twilight era to those critters. Kind of a shame that the writing pretty much shoots itself in the foot though and invalidates it's grey-grey attempt at morality from square one. Ah well, for all the battles Shiki won a loss or two light that doesn't diminish the overall value.

Onto Another!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2338 on: October 25, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »

As someone who watched Senki Zesshou Symphogear season 1 and really liked it given that it was a completely new IP with a horrendously low budget... I have to say never EVER watch season 2.

I watched it because I suffer from 'well I watched season 1 so I might as well watch the sequel-ism' and there is 0 reason to watch season 2.

It is shit... wait no, that's an insult to shit.
It's like they forgot everything that made season 1 entertaining and just smeared a giant F-U to the audience.

The story goes full retard Gundam 00 season 1 style with even more cheese than a double double double cheese burger
In one episode something happens that could have been great and even push the limit of anime storytelling as we know it... but then they retcon the shit out of it not even 5 minute in the next episode.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear season 2 is bad bad bad bad.
Don't don't don't don't watch it
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2339 on: October 25, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »

As someone who watched Senki Zesshou Symphogear season 1 and really liked it given that it was a completely new IP with a horrendously low budget... I have to say never EVER watch season 2.

I watched it because I suffer from 'well I watched season 1 so I might as well watch the sequel-ism' and there is 0 reason to watch season 2.

It is shit... wait no, that's an insult to shit.
It's like they forgot everything that made season 1 entertaining and just smeared a giant F-U to the audience.

The story goes full retard Gundam 00 season 1 style with even more cheese than a double double double cheese burger
In one episode something happens that could have been great and even push the limit of anime storytelling as we know it... but then they retcon the shit out of it not even 5 minute in the next episode.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear season 2 is bad bad bad bad.
Don't don't don't don't watch it

Wait. I thought the first season was bad but salvageable due to not taking itself serious enough to go full on trainwreck, and the second season decided to take the tongue-in-cheek and run with it?

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: