Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327875 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 265274 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2355 on: November 01, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »

Just finished Another this week. Really,...really odd. So many mixed reactions to this based on execution and perception going into this. Just from reading the back of the box I was expecting some sort of high-supernatural trapped-in-another-school-like dimension ala Corpse Party style. What I got was Final Destination meets Sixth Sense. It's not bad but really I was expecting something...better, for lack of different word. Felt too much like they had to play slight of hand to hide the end twists; although it still hit a high note with the final reveal. Could've benefited from better music too. Or at least music that wasn't too busy screaming "OKAY FEEL NERVOUS NOW WHY AREN'T YOU NERVOUS DOIHAVETOGETMOREOBVIOUSTOMAKEYOUNERVOUS!?!". Subtle isn't in this composer's dictionary; that's for sure.

Need to find time to watch The Future Diary now.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2356 on: November 02, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

I finished watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199.
Great stuff with tons of action, great characters and even some feels.

I'd almost recommend watching it by marathoning all 26 episodes since the story is just one long non-stop segment.

I really liked that the crew is always stuck in a do-or-die and just keep pushing through. Usually that would destroy the pacing, but not in this case.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2357 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »

I almost forgot about Yamato 2199. I got 6 episodes in and then stopped so I could marathon the rest once it finished. Guess I know what I'm watching next.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2358 on: November 02, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »

Golden Time has to be the most obvious show ever.

Predictions:
(Lynda knows Banri, but that was before last week's ep.)
Lynda is the one who hit Banri and caused the amnesia
Banri will fall for Koko and then recover his memory and also fall for Lynda
Big thing about old Banri VS new Banri
Ultimately it will be Koko who wins cuz main heroine
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2359 on: November 03, 2013, 02:52:33 AM »

Golden Time has to be the most obvious show ever.

Predictions:
(Lynda knows Banri, but that was before last week's ep.)
Lynda is the one who hit Banri and caused the amnesia
Banri will fall for Koko and then recover his memory and also fall for Lynda
Big thing about old Banri VS new Banri
Ultimately it will be Koko who wins cuz main heroine

If you don't mind some spoilers (from reading the books, I haven't even been watching the anime):

Code:
Lynda didn't directly cause Banri's amnesia, but it happened when he was waiting to meet her and she was really late so she feels kind responsible.
Banri hooks up with Koko at the end of second volume (and there are like ten volumes and counting).  That's one thing I actually found pretty refreshing, that they didn't drag it out forever.  Still I don't know if they stay together, I've only read like the first three volumes...
Banri hasn't recovered from his amnesia at this point, but it does find some photographs and stuff that clearly show him with Lynda in the past so he kind of knows they had a thing.  Or maybe that's the part you saw already.
Old vs. new Banri is kind of the theme of the whole story so I'm not sure that's even a prediction...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2360 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:33 AM »

I've been reading Madan no Ou to Vanadis like crazy lately.  I think I might have a new favorite light novel series.  Seriously, I didn't expect to like these books as much as I do.  They really surprised me.  It's a very political war story in a light fantasy setting.  There are some legendary magic weapons and a few demons manipulating things from behind the scenes but don't expect wizards or elves or dwarves here.  The core of the story is very down-to-earth (reminds me a bit of the classic Conan novels in that sense...).  There is lots of politics, many battles, and a whole lot of talk about strategy.  Romance of the Three Kingdoms in light novel form, almost.  Here's a light spoiler description of the first few novels (keeping things pretty broad here, no specifics, but some people might not want to see it regardless):
Code:
The main character Tigre is a noble in charge of a minor, poor, but mostly peaceful territory near the border with another kingdom.  He participates in a battle over a minor border dispute with the neighboring country and since their side has far more troops it's expected to be an easy win.  In fact, the king sends the crown prince to lead the troops.  It's his first time doing so and the king wants him to gain some experience.  But the battle turns out to be  anything but easy when their opponent launches a surprise pincer attack.  The prince is killed and the troops rout.

Tigre stumbles on the opportunity to attack the enemy commander with his bow and does so.  Yet it turns out that she's a "Vanadis" (hence the name of the series) who wields a magic sword that can control wind and avoids Tigre's attack.  Even so she's impressed with Tigre's archery skills and decides to take him captive rather than kill him.

During Tigre's captivity civil war breaks out in his home country since the crown prince (who was the king's only child) was killed.  The king is distraught over the death of his son and secludes himself and there are two major noble families with loose ties to the royal family fighting over the successorship.  One of them, realizes that Tigre's territory is largely undefended in his absence but thinks it would be too much trouble to capture and hold.  But he doesn't want anyone else to use it (armies always need food and water) so he sends his son to burn the place to the ground.

Word of this pending attack reaches Tigre while he's still a captive and he ends up pleading with the Vanadis for assistance.  In exchange for his territory and service she agrees to lend him troops to defend his territory.  In the process he kills the noble's son who was leading the attack.

Even though Tigre did all of this just to to defend his territory the fact remains that he lead a foreign army into the country and he's branded a traitor.  And the noble who's son was killed obviously wants revenge.  So all of that is really just the setup for Tigre and the Vanadis reluctantly entering the fray as a third force in this civil war.

I love all of that, but on the other hand it's still a light novel series and as a result the author (or maybe his editor/publisher...) apparently felt the need to shoehorn some fanservice in.  Not that I'm not used to that sort of thing, but it's typically in a more light-hearted or comedic-driven context.  Here it feels forced and unnecessary.  Completely out of place.  For what it's worth the main character is a very serious and diligent person, not the perverted type at all.  Yet for some reason he keeps accidentally walking in on woman bathing and stuff.  Seriously, it's happened at least three times now.  At least don't be so goddamn cliche about it.  I don't even necessarily hate ecchi stuff but I hate this lazy, tacked-on ecchi stuff for sure.

So, to connect this topic to anime (since this is the anime thread...)...apparently there is going to be an anime adaption of this series sometime next year.  And I'm really, really worried about it.  It could be very good.  Some of my favorite animes of all time are politics and strategy heavy (like LoGH).  But then there's that...other aspect of the series I just mentioned.  Even though in the novels it's really a minor part, I could easily see an anime adaption emphasizing it much more heavily if they think that will sell better.  It all depends on who's doing it, I suppose.  I believe it's Media Factory but they haven't really announced specifics as far as I know.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2361 on: November 06, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »

So anyone else get the English Shonen Jump? One Piece has been awesome as always. World Trigger has also been really great recently and is in fact my second favorite in the magazine at the moment.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2362 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »

@Kevuda

I wonder if there's an english translation of any of those books. Reason being that I know someone on another forum who loves Light Novels. I figure it'd be something he'd like, too, fanservice and all. In the meantime, I'm gonna wait for the anime version and hope for the best. It sounds really interesting. I've been waiting a serious show with some light fantasy elements for a long time, but those seem to be hard to come by.

And speaking of Anime versions, I'm still waiting for a World Trigger anime. :(

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2363 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »

Watched the first five episodes of Vision of Escalflowne because I never got into the hype train when it was actually airing.

So far it can be summarized with Hitomi going:

"Oh no... VAAAAAN LOOK BEHIND YOU... WAAUUUGH"

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2364 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

I watched the first 10 episodes of Brave of Gold Goldran, and now I'm out of episodes to watch on Youtube, and I don't feel like looking for the rest. Not because it wasn't enjoyable or anything like that (I loved it), but because the series isn't fully translated, so it'd be difficult to find. Anyways, I was going to watch Yamato 2199, but Goldran put me in the mood for a comedy adventure, where they frequently change locations and whatnot to keep things fresh while still being lighthearted. Anybody know an Anime like that?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2365 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:18 PM »

I watched the first 10 episodes of Brave of Gold Goldran, and now I'm out of episodes to watch on Youtube, and I don't feel like looking for the rest. Not because it wasn't enjoyable or anything like that (I loved it), but because the series isn't fully translated, so it'd be difficult to find. Anyways, I was going to watch Yamato 2199, but Goldran put me in the mood for a comedy adventure, where they frequently change locations and whatnot to keep things fresh while still being lighthearted. Anybody know an Anime like that?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2366 on: November 06, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »

There's a fan translation of Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Mickeymac.  Probably not supposed to link to that sort of thing here but if you just google the title I'm sure you can find it.  In fact I think it's the first hit...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2367 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »

There's a fan translation of Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Mickeymac.  Probably not supposed to link to that sort of thing here but if you just google the title I'm sure you can find it.  In fact I think it's the first hit...

Hah, it's even the site that guy uses all the time. Maybe he's already heard of it? Anyways, thanks. And thanks for giving us the heads up on the anime version, I don't recall hearing about it from my usual sources.

EDIT: Wow, he apparently posted about it just yesterday. XD He loves it, even the fanservice scenes. In fact, he said they're some of his favorite fanservice scenes, referencing the bath scenes specifically. :P Just thought I'd mention that. Guess its got two solid recommendations now, so now I'm really looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:44:23 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2368 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »

Hah, it's even the site that guy uses all the time. Maybe he's already heard of it? Anyways, thanks. And thanks for giving us the heads up on the anime version, I don't recall hearing about it from my usual sources.

EDIT: Wow, he apparently posted about it just yesterday. XD He loves it, even the fanservice scenes. In fact, he said they're some of his favorite fanservice scenes, referencing the bath scenes specifically. :P Just thought I'd mention that. Guess its got two solid recommendations now, so now I'm really looking forward to it.

Wait. This is worth something? WTF!?!

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2369 on: November 07, 2013, 06:57:20 AM »

And speaking of Anime versions, I'm still waiting for a World Trigger anime. :(
Give it time, the manga series is just now entering the end of the establishing of the status quo. It has a good stable of characters established. The full set of main characters have finally gotten together as a squad. They really haven't gotten to the point yet where it would be possible for an anime to insert filler and they would need to use filler fairly quickly because the series hasn't been running long enough to have a lot of material to use. The series is doing well in the middle of the Jump rankings, so I'm sure it will eventually get an anime.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: