Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 12:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318967 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 180 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 242141 times)
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2565 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »

I've been slowly going through a trippy anime called Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko). It's really out there. Also watching Kill la Kill, Kanon (2006), Hidamari Sketchx365, Nisekoi, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kill la Kill is mindless fun (Trigger is not saving anime), but Nisekoi is freaking hilarious (Shaft always does great shows imo)

Kill la Kill, IMO, would be infinitely better if they actually toned it down a bit.  I think 'clever action' could score them way more points that over-the-top action.  But yeah, it's been fun.  The animation always gives you something to look at.

I liked Nisekoi (the manga) till it felt kinda repetitive. I'm gonna wait on it for a bit to get some more chapters.

I think Kill la Kill's issue is that it's tone is getting in its own way. Gurren Lagann pulled off over the top with a silly story and maintained a silly tone throughout while Kill la Kill carries a more serious tone with its insane story. Last show to do that I saw, I ended up nearly dropping (Shingeki no Kyojin).

As for Nisekoi, I've heard that complaint with the manga a lot. Honestly, if Shaft adapts it fully, filler and all, I'll be very very happy. Shaft animation is always fun to watch and Nisekoi is the perfect fit for a long running adaption for them.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2566 on: February 23, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »

I've been slowly going through a trippy anime called Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko). It's really out there. Also watching Kill la Kill, Kanon (2006), Hidamari Sketchx365, Nisekoi, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kill la Kill is mindless fun (Trigger is not saving anime), but Nisekoi is freaking hilarious (Shaft always does great shows imo)

Kill la Kill, IMO, would be infinitely better if they actually toned it down a bit.  I think 'clever action' could score them way more points that over-the-top action.  But yeah, it's been fun.  The animation always gives you something to look at.

I liked Nisekoi (the manga) till it felt kinda repetitive. I'm gonna wait on it for a bit to get some more chapters.

I think Kill la Kill's issue is that it's tone is getting in its own way. Gurren Lagann pulled off over the top with a silly story and maintained a silly tone throughout while Kill la Kill carries a more serious tone with its insane story. Last show to do that I saw, I ended up nearly dropping (Shingeki no Kyojin).

As for Nisekoi, I've heard that complaint with the manga a lot. Honestly, if Shaft adapts it fully, filler and all, I'll be very very happy. Shaft animation is always fun to watch and Nisekoi is the perfect fit for a long running adaption for them.

(won't lie, "batman" in your user name and an anime avatar are wonderful).

I actually really like that perspective on Kill la Kill and I think you may be right.  I will say I didn't like the Attack on Titan anime.  One part because I had already read the manga (which always seems to hamper how much you enjoy the anime); but also because I got too much of a high-action shounen anime vibe from the show (the opening themes feel like a parody on this idea as well)...  The manga makes much better use of gore and the concepts of fear in its characters than the anime does.  Granted, that "high action" and vibrant colouring works well during the action scenes, but I find Isayama's style isn't really trying to give it that same look or mood quite frankly (which is much more "unsettling" than "brilliant"...of course, I'm sure the show has to operate a bit within a sort-of "PG13" frame*).  Google image "Attack on Titan manga" and maybe you'll see what I mean.

And it looks like I'll have to check out the Nisekoi anime I think. :O

* On this note: I miss anime of the 90s for a stupid reason: The gore!!  Like, "holy shit" levels of it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2567 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:14 AM »

(won't lie, "batman" in your user name and an anime avatar are wonderful).

I actually really like that perspective on Kill la Kill and I think you may be right.  I will say I didn't like the Attack on Titan anime.  One part because I had already read the manga (which always seems to hamper how much you enjoy the anime); but also because I got too much of a high-action shounen anime vibe from the show (the opening themes feel like a parody on this idea as well)...  The manga makes much better use of gore and the concepts of fear in its characters than the anime does.  Granted, that "high action" and vibrant colouring works well during the action scenes, but I find Isayama's style isn't really trying to give it that same look or mood quite frankly (which is much more "unsettling" than "brilliant"...of course, I'm sure the show has to operate a bit within a sort-of "PG13" frame*).  Google image "Attack on Titan manga" and maybe you'll see what I mean.

And it looks like I'll have to check out the Nisekoi anime I think. :O

* On this note: I miss anime of the 90s for a stupid reason: The gore!!  Like, "holy shit" levels of it.

Batman is the best and so is Solid Snake.

I don't really read manga (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Evangelion being the only two I finished), and waiting a month for each issue of AoT isn't my cup of tea. As for the gore, its nearly always limited to OVAs thanks to censorship *looks sadly at Pupa*. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls comes to mind. More gore than Elfen Lied and 10x more messed up.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2568 on: February 23, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »

My opinion of the Nisekoi manga started roughly at "amusing distraction" and then degenerated into "worthless trash" as it dragged on and on and on with plot lines that ran in circles and zero character development.  It also suffers from "too many characters" syndrome.  Seriously, what purpose do Tsugumi and Tachibana even serve in this story?  It's like every time the author runs out of ideas he just tosses another character in the pot.

Needless to say I'm not a fan.  I've heard people saying good things about the anime but I am just way too biased against the manga at this point to give it a fair shot...

And if you cut the filler out of Nisekoi there wouldn't be anything left.  Other than the first few characters that set the scene it's 100% filler.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2569 on: February 23, 2014, 03:30:34 AM »

Kill la Kill, IMO, would be infinitely better if they actually toned it down a bit.  I think 'clever action' could score them way more points that over-the-top action.  But yeah, it's been fun.  The animation always gives you something to look at.

I figured the issue with Kill la Kill was that it really doesn't have the budget to pull off the level of action a show like it calls for, falling back on the tried and true ways of cutting corners and costs like reusing animation clips, recap episodes, talking heads, still shots of location exteriors, action that occurs just off screen, etc., but because there's so much going on that it can be hard to notice if you're not really looking for it (seriously, this show moves three times faster than a regular anime; and to the fifth power compared to a shonen). Of course its also a big ass love letter to anime and other pop culture references (hell the current ending is one to Urusei Yatsura, never mind all the sight gags).

As for Kyojin, the manga's janky artstyle really helped it out a lot.

And on that note: Kill la Kill episode 19: HULU!!!! "Hey guys, we've just developed this awesome new weapon that can defeat a cover and safely extract the human in one sho-oh wait, the main character is back. Nevermind."

Log Horizon episodes 13/14: Damn you Hulu!!!! Taking a break from the MMOEconomics to start giving out explanations (and a penalty to defeats outside of "Go back to Start").

Martian Successor Nadesico: What the hell is going on with you Hulu!? Two might as well be filler episodes. At least I got to the cyberspace one. After that though, I think only one more episode made it into SRWW.

Space Dandy: Lol, dat fridge. Also, dat doggie.

Blue Exorcist: Decided to give this the three episode test, just to make sure I'm not judging a book by its cover. So far this is all I have to write about because I can't seem to recall any of it other than a feeling of thorough mediocrity and boredom.

Edit: Hulu still works in Firefox, carry on. (Not-quite Double Edit: Kinda....)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:02:35 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2570 on: February 23, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »

My opinion of the Nisekoi manga started roughly at "amusing distraction" and then degenerated into "worthless trash" as it dragged on and on and on with plot lines that ran in circles and zero character development.  It also suffers from "too many characters" syndrome.  Seriously, what purpose do Tsugumi and Tachibana even serve in this story?  It's like every time the author runs out of ideas he just tosses another character in the pot.

Needless to say I'm not a fan.  I've heard people saying good things about the anime but I am just way too biased against the manga at this point to give it a fair shot...

And if you cut the filler out of Nisekoi there wouldn't be anything left.  Other than the first few characters that set the scene it's 100% filler.
Eh there actually are a few arcs in Nisekoi that are non-filler. Or at least they vaguely advance the locket plot line. I think you are right about the author just adding new characters whenever he runs out of ideas though. I've only been reading it since U.S. Shonen Jump started carrying it and there have been like 6-10 new characters in that time frame. However I would rather read Nisekoi than 90% of recent chapters of Naruto and Bleach.....which is more about the quality of Naruto and Bleach than the quality of Nisekoi.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2571 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

I love how Space Dandy is really stupid and then BAM! Out of nowhere, it hits you right in the feels.
That's twice now ;_;

EDIT: Wizard Barristers Benmashi Cecil = Canada represent
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:04:39 PM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2572 on: February 24, 2014, 01:53:04 AM »

I just saw The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's latest (and supposedly last) film.  In theaters, no less.  That's a change for me.

Let me just say: Wow.  What a film.  I should probably note that while visually it's still unmistakably a Miyazaki film, thematically it was a pretty big departure from his usual fare.  Instead of fantasy adventure in some far off land it's a work of historical fiction set in a very sensitive and controversial period of Japan's history, namely the build up to WW2.  Which is not to say that it's a war movie because it certainly isn't.  It's really about what Japan was like leading up to the war and how regular people felt about it.

Of course the main character isn't exactly your average Joe.  He's the designer of one of the most famous and successful warplanes in history: The Zero fighter.  Much of the film revolves around his passion for aviation.  He just wants to design the best planes he can, and what they're being used for isn't really his main concern.  You get the sense of inferiority the Japanese had, constantly comparing their designs to the Germans and other nations and talking about being 20 years behind but desperately trying to catch up.  Which is a pretty accurate portrayal, really...when Japan finally truly ended centuries of isolationism and opened their borders to western influences in the Meiji era (late 1800s through early 1900s) they found themselves playing catchup with regards to western technological advances for a long time.  Post WW1 Japanese aircraft really did still have serious problems.  Which makes the creation of the Zero fighter a fascinating story in its own right, considering that at the start of the war it was unquestionably the best carrier-based fighter fielded by any nation.  It made mincemeat out of American fighters in the early war (12 to 1 kill ratio, seriously) causing some frantic trips back to the drawing board for American fighter designers.

But I digress.  This isn't a film about engineering, it's a film about passion.  About working with limited technology and infrastructure yet establishing new frontiers in aviation.  Even knowing the historical context it's hard not to root for the hero.  He just wants to create.  Planes are his life, it's just that at that time there really weren't any jobs for aeronautical engineers in Japan except making warplanes.  It's also just a fascinating period of Japanese history that is not terribly well represented in fiction.

In short, you should see this movie.  Even if you don't like Miyazaki films you should see this movie, because it's unlike any other Miyazaki film I've ever seen.  I think it might also be my favorite Miyazaki film, though I'm not entirely sure that I don't just feel that way because it's so different and I was getting a little tired of the old formula.  But either way, if this is really going to be his last work then he certainly went out with a bang.

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2573 on: February 24, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »

I began White Album 2 last night. Enjoyed the first episode. My friend is telling me it gets really really good after 3 or 4 episodes, so my hopes are high for it.

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2574 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »

Watched the first two Madoka movies.
The first one was a superfluous recap. The second was a superlative recap.
Don't really see the point either way.
Was going to watch the third but all that's available is a half-screen cam-rip.
Yeah right.

Also watched Psycho Diver: Masei Rakuryu. Don't know how I missed this in my multiple 90s sprees over the past year, but it was a hell of a lot better than Genocyber. It managed to have the gritty action and fanservice that defined 90s anime without getting bogged down to the point of abandoning the story altogether. The film noir feel really worked for it, but like Twilight of the Dark Master, it felt rushed in such a short time frame.  It would have been better as a full length movie or multi-part OVA.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2575 on: February 25, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »

Watched the first two Madoka movies.
The first one was a superfluous recap. The second was a superlative recap.
Don't really see the point either way.
Was going to watch the third but all that's available is a half-screen cam-rip.
Yeah right.

Mind fucks and plot babbling aside I really liked the film (though I can imagine some will not).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2576 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »

Magical Warfare is all kinds of terrible.  It's seriously one of the worst animes I've seen in years.  Yet I'm sort of enjoying it...in a MST3K kinda way...

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2577 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »

I just saw The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's latest (and supposedly last) film.  In theaters, no less.  That's a change for me.

Heh.. it's hard for me to see him retiring since he plays such a pivotal role with Studio Ghibli. Perhaps he'll step down writing, directing, producing duties, but I expect to see him somehow stay involved (perhaps a mentor... or creative consultant) with the company he helped grow since it's inception. He's still not 100% confident in his son, Goro's responsibilities. I'm looking forward to this movie though. It'll be the first Miyazaki movie I'll have seen in the theaters since Howl's Moving Castle. Right now I could see "The Wind Rises" at an indie theater a hour drive from me, but I'll probably wait until my local theater 5 mins from me shows it on Friday.

Playing: FFXIII-2 (PS3) and Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS).
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2578 on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

Hasn't Miyazaki retired like 3 different times now? I don't know how accurate that is given the typical amount of rumors that revolve around the famous, though.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2579 on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

Hasn't Miyazaki retired like 3 different times now? I don't know how accurate that is given the typical amount of rumors that revolve around the famous, though.
Yes, apparently six times, so it's hard to take him seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 180 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: