Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 01:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337995 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 295593 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2670 on: April 10, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

Weekly Shonen Jump impressions before the scanlators release next Monday's issue.

One Piece
Code:
God damn it, I really wish that I had people to discuss One Piece with because this chapter was amazing. Dressrosa is in chaos, Donflamingo's plans are up in smoke, and Sabo is making his move. Oh and Kyrios beheaded Donflamingo. I don't actually think he is dead (either the body that was just beheaded is actually a puppet or he can use his strong power to reconnect lost limbs), but it was a great follow up scene where basically the events exactly duplicated what happened ten years ago with the set up.

World Trigger
Great chapter, more world building and some entertaining fights.

Naruto
Goddamn this arc is boring, can we just finish this series up already?

All You Need is Kill
Great chapter very emotional chapter, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Dragonball One Shot
Really? This is something that needed to happen? *sigh* The TV special for Burdock was much more entertaining and this was way too Supermanny for my tastes.

Stealth Symphony
Most of the chapter was kind of meh, but I did greatly enjoy the exchange with Troma towards the end.

I just finished reading this week's Shonen Jump and I too was pretty pleased with One Piece.

Code:
I was really happy that it seemed like we're finally progressing the arc. So much of this arc has been the backstory of Dressrosa and its people, and while that hasn't been bad it has distracted from the main action pretty significantly. Though I'm sure that we're going to learn that Mingo has a Buggy-like ability and that he isn't dead, I'd be pretty pleased if he is dead just to have that out of the way.

Naruto and Bleach both need to wrap it up. These series have both gone on for far longer than they should have. We know that this is the last arc of Bleach, but I really, really wish Tite Kubo would just get on with it! Sure, I like seeing Kenpachi fight as much as anyone, but the series has been limping along for years. Let's just get it done. I've been liking this arc of Naruto. It maybe has a few too many twists and turns, but it has been good. I don't know if it was ever announced that this is the last arc, but it feels like it should be and hopefully we're nearing the end.

All You Need is Kill is becoming a new favorite. Takeshi Obata is such a fantastic artist, and the story is really cool. My only complaint so far is that the plot seems kind of choppy. I guess this is hard to avoid given what is happening, but it does distract me somewhat.

I agree completely with this new Dragon Ball one-shot. It seems like Toriyama felt like he needed to tie Jaco and Dragon Ball a little more closely together and it wasn't necessary. Plus, as you said, the Burdock TV special was way better.

So far I'm liking Stealth Symphony. I like the art, and the premise is interesting. I just don't really see where the story is headed. It has kind of seemed all over the place. I know it's just beginning, so I'm not going to discredit the series for that yet. Just some direction would be nice.

Still really liking One Punch Man. I missed the first few chapters of the series (I know I could find/buy them, but I'm too lazy/broke), so I'm a little confused by some of the plot points still, but I like the action and the jokes a lot.

I don't really like World Trigger, Seraph of the End, Nisekoi, Blue Exorcist, or Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal, so I don't read those.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2671 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »

Ah, you should give World Trigger another shot if you didn't like it in the beginning. It got better and it is imo the second best series in Jump. At the very least it is better than Naruto and Bleach. The others....yeah those aren't that good.

Summary of the first few chapters of One-Punch Man: Office Worker saves a kid from a monster and decides he will become a superhero and spends several years training his body (using conventional methods) so hard that his hair falls out, and by the time the series starts he has become so powerful that he can finish all fights with a single punch. Then he meets Genos who is in awe of his strength and becomes his "disciple", then they join the superhero association. And I think that is about it in terms of important plot.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2672 on: April 12, 2014, 03:02:50 AM »

Okay, I'll read it again for the next few weeks and if I like what I see I'll maybe go back to my old issues and read through to catch up on the story.

(Only took me eight years, but 1000 posts. Whoo!)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2673 on: April 12, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »

Well going to be interesting to see what you think as you are going to jumping in smack dab in the middle of an invasion arc. A quick summation to try and get you up to speed as to wtf is going on:

Code:
A giant invasion of neighbors began a few chapters ago, beginning with a massive number of trion soldiers (non-humanoid neighbors that are sort of the equivalent of robots). After several waves of trion soldiers, the humanoid neighbors in charge of the invasion managed to pinpoint their targets (C-ranked Border Agents) and they joined the battle to both ensure capture of their targets and to distract the most powerful members of Border. The last chapter ended with one of the humanoid neighbors with a black trigger (aka a completely broken weapon) engaging in combat against one of the top ranked Border teams with one member of the Border team seemingly able to predict his attacks due to that member's side effect (minor psychic power/enchanced sense that some people with high amounts of Trion have).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them here and I'll do my best to help.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2674 on: April 12, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »

I watched the first 20 eps of Bubblegum Crisis yesterday.

It starts off as a kind of cyberpunk series, then turns into a kind of Evangelion ripoff, then turns into a horror story. Now it seems to be turning into Akira.

It doesn't flow well but it's got some really interesting ideas.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2675 on: April 12, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »

I watched the first 20 eps of Bubblegum Crisis yesterday.

It starts off as a kind of cyberpunk series, then turns into a kind of Evangelion ripoff, then turns into a horror story. Now it seems to be turning into Akira.

It doesn't flow well but it's got some really interesting ideas.

Wait a sec. I'm pretty sure there's only the 8 episode OVA (or are you including AD Police?).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2676 on: April 12, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »

Pretty sure he's talking about the TV series remake, 2040.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2677 on: April 12, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »

I love the 8 episode OVA but the 2040 remake bores me to tears.  I stopped after 6 episodes
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2678 on: April 13, 2014, 12:57:49 AM »

Mekakucity Actors: I don't know what the heck is going on but at least it looks pretty cool.  The stylistic similarities to the Monogatari series are pretty obvious, but then it's being made by the same people.  It's looking like it might go in a different direction plotwise, though, which is good.

The Irregular at Magic High School ep. 2: Much like the first episode it continues to show but not explain anything.  It's really better when you actually know why all this crap works the way it does...while I do like seeing it animated I can't shake the feeling that you really do need to read the books for this one.  The fight at the end was fun, though ;)  Nice to have a show where this shit isn't dragged out.

The World is Still Beautiful ep. 2: Much like I feared the shoujoness increased dramatically compared to the first episode.  It practically feels like a different show now, which makes me wonder why they even bothered making so much original material for the first ep.  Also, I just have to rant about this: So our princess here comes from this isolated tribe of people who possess this secret ancient magic that can control the weather through song.  Nothing wrong with that, it's a fantasy story.  But why does it turn out that the magic song she uses to summon rain is a friggin pop song.  I'm sorry, but that right there completely ruined any suspension of disbelief I may have had left...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2679 on: April 13, 2014, 03:55:42 AM »

Yeah I'm talking 2040.

What's the difference between the two?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2680 on: April 13, 2014, 04:49:51 AM »

Yeah I'm talking 2040.

Everything.  The girls have the same names but they have different character designs, different personalities, and the story is different. 
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2681 on: April 13, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »

Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time is keeping me amused, Sword Art Online is keeping me on my toes, I keep waiting on the show to sink to badness, and Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo is VERY intriguing so far

Everything's Eventual
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2682 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:01 AM »

So reread through all of World Trigger last night. Really wish that they would release it in volume format so that I could read it through without having to constantly change digital issues of Shonen Jump. It was a fun read through, and I caught a couple of details that I had previously missed (primarily the number of black trigger users on the invader's side in the current arc).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2683 on: April 14, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »

Yeah I'm talking 2040.

One's good, the other isn't.

Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time is keeping me amused, Sword Art Online is keeping me on my toes, I keep waiting on the show to sink to badness, and Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo is VERY intriguing so far

You'll know when SAO hits garbage tier when fairies start popping up.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2684 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »

Visual representation of my thoughts on the first 2 episodes of Love Live season 2:

----------------------------- 2 meters -----------------------------

* <-- This is Love Live (season 1)

----------------------------- Ground -----------------------------

----------------------------- Sewers -----------------------------

----------------------------- Dinosaur fossils -----------------------------

----------------------------- 9th layer of Hell -----------------------------

* <-- This is Love live (season 2)

Usually, it's hard for me not to watch a sequel... but god damn did the show go full-on retard.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: