Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 264061 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: June 22, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »

I finally sat down and watched Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc. Overall I was mostly pleased by it. I both liked and disliked the conflated story at various points, but for the most part it seemed to stay true to the story and spirit of the original with one major exception.

Code:
I guess it could be argued that Shishio was dying at the end of his fight with Kenshin, but it didn't really explain that if that was in fact the case. This made it seem like Kenshin actually killed him at the end of their duel.

I did really appreciate seeing RuroKen in contemporary animation. It looked fantastic. I hope they can find the time, the budget, and the story to do more. In the meantime, I'll look forward to the release of the new live-action movie.

IIRC, Shishio dies because his body's a fucked up piece of shit that's incapable of regulating his core body temperature without assistance or a significant amount of cool-down time, and he had the bright idea of trying to duke it out with one of the greatest swordsmen of his era in a protracted sword fight. All Kenshin had to do was keep the fight going until Shishio either keeled over or gave up, and then Shishio burst into flames because it's anime and it would've been too hard/boring/lame to depict the arc's main villain dying due to severe heat exhaustion/heat stroke.

Yes, I am aware of that, but that isn't how it shakes down in New Kyoto Arc. I know it isn't canonical, but Kenshin does appear to exploit Shishio's weakness in the retelling, and not by simply having the endurance to draw Shishio into a protracted fight.

Code:
In New Kyoto Arc, when Shishio gets close to his limit, blood explodes down the center of his skull. Not long afterward, when Kenshin delivers the decisive blow, he hits the metal plate on Shishio's head with the end of his sword hilt in a way reminiscent of the head attack in the Kuzuryuusen. Shishio's skull splits in half after the blow, though he is still alive enough at that point that he pushes his head back together. When you see him next he is lying on the floor and appears to be dead making it seem that he didn't die due to his body's inability to regulate its heat (as in the original story), but as a direct result of Kenshin's attack
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: June 23, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »

So, Layzner's finally fully subbed. Time for me to drop everything and watch that.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »

Think it is safe to say Kancolle anime been delayed. It is not even on the anime summer tv schedule.
http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/13221/summer-2014-anime-visual-guide/
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: June 25, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »

Think it is safe to say Kancolle anime been delayed. It is not even on the anime summer tv schedule.

Shyamalan twist: it's not an anime, it's live action.
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2794 on: June 25, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »

That would be so hilariously bad. it would my most an anticipated show of 2014, just to see that train wreck in action.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: June 25, 2014, 05:15:51 PM »

That would be so hilariously bad. it would my most an anticipated show of 2014, just to see that train wreck in action.

Dude, just go watch WWII's Pacific Theater reel footage. There you go, Kancolle IRL, its hilarious.

The History Channel was in to Kancolle long before Kancolle was a thing. They're currently trying to level up their Alien Ship Waifus.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: June 26, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »

Finished Mushi-shi Season 2, good but not quite as good as first season, Yowapeda is simply amazing! Unrealistic but amazing none the less. On a whim I started The iDOLM@STER and Bodacious Space Pirates, so far pirates are winning....

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2797 on: June 27, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »

So Blade and Soul's last episode was one of the worst fanservice episodes I've ever seen.
Talk about ending it on a bad note...

Anyone making a fanservice episode should look at Shukufuku no Campanella's OVA for inspiration.

UPDATE:

I was afraid that the end of Brynhild in the Darkness would be rushed and make no sense.
I was right.
I kind of want a season 2 simply because there's so much left to answer.

Love Live S2 actually ended pretty well.
The beginning was atrocious but it slowly got better along the episodes and ended up being ok.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:23:33 PM by Annubis » Logged
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:29 AM »

Just checked out the first 5 eps of The Future Diary this weekend.

Thought it was gonna suck at first when I saw the cliche tool of a main character... Boy was I wrong. It only took the first five episodes to safely say I'm hooked.

Finished Mushi-shi Season 2, good but not quite as good as first season, Yowapeda is simply amazing! Unrealistic but amazing none the less. On a whim I started The iDOLM@STER and Bodacious Space Pirates, so far pirates are winning....

Mushishi was funny for me. While my memories of the series specifics faded in the years after I saw it, the feeling and mood it conveyed remained fresh in my mind. I was really fond of how watching that made me feel. Intrigued with the supernatural and psychological nature of the series but completely hooked and drawn into the episodic mysteries by the tranquil nature it consistently  portrayed. It was like the perfect blend of what would happen if you mixed the twilight zone with some chinese folklore or something.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2799 on: June 30, 2014, 07:11:52 AM »

Rewatched all of Code Geass over the weekend except for the last few episodes of R2 (which I'll watch tonight). Still love the entire series. Really is great.

Just checked out the first 5 eps of The Future Diary this weekend.

Thought it was gonna suck at first when I saw the cliche tool of a main character... Boy was I wrong. It only took the first five episodes to safely say I'm hooked.

I've only read the manga of that. Let me just say that, assuming the anime follows the manga completely, that series is going to get messed up...well that implies it was at some point not messed up. It will get more messed up in the future.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »

I really enjoy watching Code Geass, but there are a tons of things it does that I usually give other shows a lot of flak for, and I don't think I could really describe why it works for me when shows with similar themes and excecution make me cringe.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »

I really enjoy watching Code Geass, but there are a tons of things it does that I usually give other shows a lot of flak for, and I don't think I could really describe why it works for me when shows with similar themes and excecution make me cringe.
Any particular examples?
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2802 on: July 05, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »

New Sailor Moon... you replace one the most iconic anime theme songs of all time with this generic new shit... god damn It!. Do not like the new soundtrack at all.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2803 on: July 05, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »

I actually never thought highly of the Japanese version of the original Japanese OP. Haven't heard the new one yet, though, so we'll see what the damage is.

I really, really liked Argevollen's first episode, though.

EDIT: Also saw the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero and liked that a lot, too. I'll be sure to say more about both once we're a few episodes in...

Any particular examples?

I wish, but every time I sit down to write my thoughts, my mind goes blank...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:39:36 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2804 on: July 06, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »

Rail Wars:
Reminds me of Working!!. Nothing great nor bad. An easy watch.
Anyone who's a train lover probably would have wet dreams about this anime.

Space Dandy S2:
Exactly like S1 (which is good). I like the song that plays whenever they are at BooBies.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: