Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337939 Posts in 13835 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 295308 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2865 on: July 26, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »

I guess in retrospect I didn't explain myself well enough. I kinda meant believability on the whole - setting, events, fights, characters, and story. Not sure why I said "Hard science fiction" though...Aura Battler Dunbine was fantasy and still managed to be believable for the most part. I just mean that I'm not ised to having to stretch my "suspension of disbelief" so far with mecha. I'm used to having characters who actions and growth make sense within the context of the setting and story. I'm used to battles having realistic tactics and limitations that stay consistant unless there's a really good explaination that effects all sides. And I'm used to the stories making at least some sense and don't spiral hopelessly out of control.

I know some older ones had some of these problems, too, but it just feels like there's been practically nothing in the last decade to off-set them outside of a few OVAs and Euraka Seven...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2866 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »

Ok, thanks for explaining. I disagree with you, but I realize that this really isn't something that I'll be able to convince you of. Side note, for realistic tactics and limitations that stay consistent totally check out World Trigger. It isn't a mech series, but it is great for tactical battles where every character on the battlefield are trying to think several moves ahead (and there is an upcoming anime!).

So spent yesterday rewatching Gundam Seed. Just a little past the halfway point. Woohoo!

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2867 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »

My whole body literally trembled with glee when they finally announced the World Trigger anime. Easily my most anicipated anime since Hunter X Hunter 2011. Fall can't come soon enough!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2868 on: July 28, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »

So been rereading Death Note recently. I have to say that on a second time through, the series feels a lot less impressive because for most of his plans, Light is constantly either f'ing up and getting extremely lucky that he isn't caught or pulling stuff out of his butt (the watch with the secret component being one of the worst examples).
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2869 on: July 28, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »

To put it plain and simple: They lack any sense of believeability. I know most mecha aren't exactly hard science fiction, but fuck at least they used to try, and some of them got damn close. Now it's like I'm watching super robot shows, where everything's just about how rediculous the escalation can get. One of the things I liked with Argevollen at least is that it feels like it's going back to basics, and I can't help but feel like that's the best way to go.

There's a lot more I could bang on about, but honestly I've banged on about this on every other site I go to pretty hard...I'm kinda tired of doing it. :/

EDIT: I should mention I feel like this is a problem with Sci-Fi anime as a whole, but it goes double for Mecha.

I've never watched Argevollen (actually I haven't watched any mecha series for a long while now, I should really get around to watching that last episode of Unicorn), but I do get what you're saying (I don't talk about anime anywhere but here so I have plenty to say!). My favorite mecha shows are probably still the early years of Gundam and Macross (One reason I'm looking forward to that new Tomino series).

The thing about the term "super robot" though, is that there's actually no such thing. Actually one my problems with what "super robot" shows have become is that they're so self-aware that it's annoying (it usually doesn't ruin shows or anything, it's just really irritating seeing it so much). When people made Mazinger Z or Daimos they weren't saying "let's make this a ridiculous and stupid show", they were saying "let's make a show about some teen with a robot".

On the subject of more realistic mecha though, one thing that bothers me is stuff like the Trans-Am in 00. I don't think it's actually a "believably" problem, it's a storytelling one. They're actually using it "believably" because they're abusing it every chance they get, which is the common sense thing to do if you have an overwhelming weapon like that, but from an out-of-the-universe perspective you shouldn't give the main characters "I win" buttons like that anyway. I've seen a lot of people complain about Kamille's use of the Biosensor in Zeta in retrospect, but that happened in like 2 episodes and the entire show was building up to those moments so it actually felt like a dramatic climax. Character-wise I actually liked a lot of 00 and I wouldn't mind if they made more characters like Setsuna who say a lot without saying much at all.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2870 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »

Episode 4 of SOA:GGO feels like it should have been episode 2.
Space Dandy 4 was a high school musical

The writers of Space Dandy have got to have a lot of 'creative agility' given how wild and diverse each episode is.
That or they are doing drugs non-stop.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2871 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »

Read every Yowamushi Pedal on Batoto and I'm totally left hanging.  Hime! Hime! Hime!

And I just got my copy of Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus vol. 4 and am reading that.  Alita is still my favorite manga.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2872 on: July 30, 2014, 06:44:03 AM »

So I am watching Gundam Seed Destiny for like the third time, and I have three thoughts at the moment.

1. Early Destiny Cagali is almost as insufferable as Shinn at any point in Destiny. Thankfully she will get better.

2. Everyone is incredibly impressed by Shinn's performance when he first goes into Seed mode, but it really was not that impressive. He just used an anti-ship sword on a bunch of ships that lacked proper anti-mobile suit weapons while the enemy's mobile suit squadrons either didn't exist or completely ignored the attack on their base of operations. I mean yes he did take out a mobile armor, but that was just a single stab with a beam saber and all anyone was praising him for was taking out 8 (or w/e) enemy ships.

3. As of this watch through, I feel like I am leaning more towards the idea that the way the series turned out is how the writers always intended it to turn out and not a rewrite due to fan reaction. At the very least Durandel was always supposed to turn out as a villain with Kira opposing him, only thing that could have really changed is what side Shinn decided to take, but if he swapped sides then things in the final battle would be far too lopsided.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2873 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »

My Wife Is Wagatsuma-san chapter 91

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIIIIIII !!!

That is all.

It's a surprisingly good manga; not superb, but it does manage to keep itself interesting with its occasional plot twists.
Chapter 91 takes the cake... like... damn...
(That and you can read the latest chapter every week for free on Crunchyroll)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2874 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »

I watched some G-Force/Battle of the Planets today for the first time since I was a kid.

Holy christ, it is *terrible*.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2875 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:55 AM »

The best part of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman was the fact that the team's official name was Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. That and the stylish Sentai uniforms and those bladed bird boomerangs.

So I am watching Gundam Seed Destiny for like the third time, and I have three thoughts at the moment.

1. Early Destiny Cagali is almost as insufferable as Shinn at any point in Destiny. Thankfully she will get better.

2. Everyone is incredibly impressed by Shinn's performance when he first goes into Seed mode, but it really was not that impressive. He just used an anti-ship sword on a bunch of ships that lacked proper anti-mobile suit weapons while the enemy's mobile suit squadrons either didn't exist or completely ignored the attack on their base of operations. I mean yes he did take out a mobile armor, but that was just a single stab with a beam saber and all anyone was praising him for was taking out 8 (or w/e) enemy ships.

3. As of this watch through, I feel like I am leaning more towards the idea that the way the series turned out is how the writers always intended it to turn out and not a rewrite due to fan reaction. At the very least Durandel was always supposed to turn out as a villain with Kira opposing him, only thing that could have really changed is what side Shinn decided to take, but if he swapped sides then things in the final battle would be far too lopsided.

Except that it was a fan rewrite of the series as the series writer herself was a huge fan of Jesus Yamato. Basically the SEED series is a lot like the FFXIII trilogy in that the first part was poorly written to begin with, but instead of using the second part to help try to fix the overall series, it instead just makes everything much much worse.

Also Cagali doesn't get better, she gets dis-existence. At some point Cagali disappears from the show altogether due to her voice actress getting into a dispute with the show writer over the treatment of her character.

Space Dandy 4 was a high school musical

The writers of Space Dandy have got to have a lot of 'creative agility' given how wild and diverse each episode is.
That or they are doing drugs non-stop.

The amount of western pop culture references in that episode was about on par with the number of anime/manga references in SDS2Epi1. From the Sentinel Campus Security Guard detaining the Jock Hulk to the completely random Slimer rush. That said, it was the dance choreography and motion animation that was the star of that episode.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2876 on: July 31, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »

Except that it was a fan rewrite of the series as the series writer herself was a huge fan of Jesus Yamato. Basically the SEED series is a lot like the FFXIII trilogy in that the first part was poorly written to begin with, but instead of using the second part to help try to fix the overall series, it instead just makes everything much much worse.

Also Cagali doesn't get better, she gets dis-existence. At some point Cagali disappears from the show altogether due to her voice actress getting into a dispute with the show writer over the treatment of her character.

My comment was directed towards the common fan belief that the storyline was rewritten based on fan backlash regarding Shinn. If the series writer is a believer of Jesus Yamato, that would seem to point towards my current belief that the end direction was always intended. Disagree with you that Seed was poorly written (actually disagree that FFXIII was poorly written, though it was alright) No comments on FFXIII-2 as I have not played it.

And Cagali does get better. Hell she gets better the moment they get her away from Yuna, although she does eventually end up vanishing unfortunately.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2877 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:19 PM »

A new Sunrise Mecha Anime was announced and I don't even care anymore

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:21:10 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2878 on: August 03, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »

Looking at the pilots' suit... yeah...
That's a fanservice anime with a side of mech.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2879 on: August 03, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »

Looking at the pilots' suit... yeah...
That's a fanservice anime with a side of mech.

A Sunrise Mecha anime with a female protagonist!?!?! UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!

Of course it will indeed be fanservicey and sexist as all hell, but still, I never thought it even possible.

Edit: What am I saying? This is Sunrise we're talking about. They'd never make an anime without the good olde' committee at the helm. Watch it turn out that the person in the image is either just the girlfriend to the real protagonist or an incredibly girly looking guy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:26:20 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: