Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332837 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 280844 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2910 on: August 07, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »

I have mixed feelings about dubbing.

I remember watching anime as a child (did not know they were anime back then) and they were dubbed and I was fine with it.
In fact, the voices I recall in my head for the characters are those I saw on French TV.

Now, I have trouble tolerating dubs because they are usually worst than the original so I'd rather just have subs.
Not just for Japanese -> English, but even English -> French.
It's just really hard to be as good as the original no matter the language.

(American/English dub is getting better along the years... but Quebec French dubs are still god damn awful. It's even worst when we get the France dub because the accent is not local at all)
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2911 on: August 08, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »

Some good points you made there Kevadu on subs.

Like Annubis I grew up on dubs too. I still remember waking up early on the west coast to tape Record of Lodoss War, Appleseed (80's movie), Akira, Iria: Zeirum the Animation on Sci Fi (Syfy) Channel's Anime Saturdays on VHS. Probably seen a bootleg of Robotech on VHS countless times. I grew attached to some of the dub voices because to me at the time they really were genuine and cared about their roles, but I'm still open to giving subs a try when the anime is excellent.

I've had heard good things lately about Crunchyroll improving as well, so it's probably worth giving them another try if I want to check out more recent animes.

Does Crunchyroll have old school Gundam?

I've seen almost every single Gundam except Turn A Gundam and Victory Gundam and the most "recent" Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation (movies). I definitely want to check out Mobile Suit Gundam UC (OAV) because it's too expensive to buy in the states on Blu-Ray and was bummed when Bandai Ent. seized making dvds and blu-ray in 2012 and subsequently canceled Turn A.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2912 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »

They used to. They used to...

Gundam had great dubs, too. It's a shame we won't get Turn A gundam officially subbed any time soon. IIRC, the fansubs were decent, though, so it might be worth checking them out someday. IIRC, Turn A gundam was slow to get going, but was great once they were headed into space.

Also, I still like to watch Dubs when I can and Funimation does great dubs, usually.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2913 on: August 08, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »

Does Crunchyroll have old school Gundam?

I've seen almost every single Gundam except Turn A Gundam and Victory Gundam and the most "recent" Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation (movies). I definitely want to check out Mobile Suit Gundam UC (OAV) because it's too expensive to buy in the states on Blu-Ray and was bummed when Bandai Ent. seized making dvds and blu-ray in 2012 and subsequently canceled Turn A.

I don't think anybody has anything Gundam related unless Bandai says they do, and even then it's only for as long as they allow them to have it because Gundam is Bandai's predominant cash cow and they're gonna clench onto that shit with an iron fist until the next ice age.

It's why I made such an effort post on the previous page about CCA showing up on streams. Its the only way to legally get on that shit without having to part with good money.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2914 on: August 09, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »

Ok, at this point someone needs to call the main character of Aldnoah Zero "Orange-kun".
It's just asking for a Code Geass reference.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2915 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:44 PM »

I got around to watching Gundam Unicorn 7 (and rewatched the other 6 episodes since it's been a while). With all of it done, I honestly have somewhat mixed feelings about the show overall, but mostly positive.

My biggest issue with the series was the Riddhe character. He was actually my favorite character until episode 5 or so and from that point on I just didn't understand what they were doing with him. The McGuffin that is Laplace's Box was really unbelievable but I'm fine with accepting the premise, only problem is that the ending loses a lot of its meaning just from the very fact that F91 and Victory (and technically G Saviour I guess) exist. I also don't really like how Banana suddenly became some kind of weird ultimate NewType at the end since that was never really shown in the rest of the show, but that's a pretty minor thing considering the other UC shows.

That being said, I have to say for me this is probably the best thing the Gundam Franchise has made since Turn A.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2916 on: August 09, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »

I still like 08th MS Team more, but yeah, it's pretty great, IMO.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2917 on: August 10, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »

I actually think 08th MS came out before Turn A. As I recall the only other animated UC work after Turn A was MS Igloo. But I think I'd watch 08th MS over Unicorn too, yeah.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2918 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »

I'm at vol. 9 of Yowamushi Pedal on batoto.  Loving the series and badly want legit English releases of both the manga and anime.  Sports anime and manga are curious, aren't they?  Normally, I'm not into them at all, but I'm into this one because it's about a sport I enjoy and I relate to the main character big time.  
If you like bike sports anime, might want to give Overdrive a try. It is one of my favorite sports anime.

I gave Over Drive a shot during some downtime and while I see its appeal, it just didn't do it for me.  I vastly prefer YowaPeda, probably because I like the characters in that anime far more.  What I do like is that both offer different flavors of the same idea, given that no two athletes in the same sport have the same story.  

EDIT: I actually sense similarities between YowaPeda and Initial D in some ways.  I never thought I'd like Initial D, but I saw a few eps and ended up thinking it was cool.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:39:41 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2919 on: August 15, 2014, 06:20:28 PM »

For my Gundam hommies:

Gundam Reconguista in G's 3rd Promo Streamed
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23s2mq_g-reco-pv3_creation

More info here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-15/gundam-reconguista-in-g-3rd-promo-streamed/.77655

I like the new Gundam designs for "G-Serufu". Nice little break from the U.C. with the Regild Century.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2920 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »

Those mecha designs are really growing on me, I'll admit. I definitely like the building and character designs, too, really gives it a different feel. The promo looked pretty cool overall. I can hardly wait until October now (esp. since World Trigger is coming then, too).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:54:54 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2921 on: August 15, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »

I'm guessing it's G-Self.

Character designs are nice and the mecha designs are alright (I like the Grimoire the most probably, although its nice how different the G-Self looks), but man that preview looked awful. I don't know if it was just the streaming or what, but there are several points where the animation looks choppy for no reason. It's not even an action scene, it's stuff like panning shots of the city and whatnot, there's random very noticeable "jumps" in the frames. I hope it doesn't look like that in the broadcast because it will be very annoying.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2922 on: August 19, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »

Fuck yeah! New Precure movie got subbed =)

Seriously, the movies are pretty good.
The series are pretty shit though with 2 exceptions (Heartcatch and Yes! Pretty Cure 5 + GoGo!)
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2923 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »

10/10
Would bake again
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2924 on: August 21, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »

10/10
Would bake again

How many loaves of bread have you eaten?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: