Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4830 on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Finally had an excuse to watch Akira, and it was pretty good. The story fell apart after a while, but I knew about the reasons why going in. At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

I'm always finding myself impressed with the fluidity of the animation, whenever I watch it. Disney's animated movies from around the same time were similarly impressive. Seems to be a near-lost art these days...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 06, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
Finally had an excuse to watch Akira, and it was pretty good. The story fell apart after a while, but I knew about the reasons why going in. At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

I must have watched it 50+ times but not in the past decade. The 1st 20 minutes are just god-tier anime, then it meanders for the next 2.  The animation tho, still just looks fantastic.

Binged 10 episodes of Saga of Tanya the Evil. Was definitely not expecting to be that good and the animation is amazing.

I didn't think Gintama could pull off an excellent final arc w/ so many characters to shovel in. I should know by now to never underestimate the greatness of Gintama.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: August 12, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Re-watched another blast from the past that's completely forgotten by now.

Coyote Ragtime Show
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1194/Coyote_Ragtime_Show
It's way better than the 6.71 score on MAL would lead to believe.

It's a non-stop, action fueled, space pirate/heist anime with no punches pulled.
The animation is pretty good and the action sequences are well made.
The characters are super charismatic - heroes and foes alike.

It's funny because 12 episodes is not all that much for world building or character development, but they do a really good job at both without sacrificing the main story.

As for the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eilfm6TThI

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
I'm enjoying Planet With only I have no idea why I'm enjoying it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 27, 2018, 04:19:17 AM »
Grimoire of Zero - Finished it off last night, after...accidentally forgetting about it for a whole month. I enjoyed it a fair bit. Nothing groundbreaking, just a story about a country having a typical medival witch hunt involving actual witches, wherein a witch is trying to retrieve her stolen book of powerful spells that seems to have leaked to populous, alongside the mercenary she contracts as her bodyguard - who hates witches, since it was their magic during the witch wars of old that caused him, and many others, to be born with their souls fused with animal, giving them the appearance of beast-men. He's only joining the witch since she promised to undo the curse at the end of their contract.

The story mostly focused on world-building and setting up the plot, as well as delving into its characters. Really, it's been a while since my favorite part of an anime was just seeing a likeable cast of characters explore their world while playing off of eachother with witty banter. They really were a treat to watch, and the story did enough to get me to care about their plights and see how it would play out. Unfortunately the climax was a bit rushed - I mean, it was a 12-episode anime, what else could you expect? At least it felt like a complete story arc, the biggest problems were just in terms of logistics - suddenly they're able to cover vast distances that used to take them days in the span of hours, or even minutes. I don't think teleportation magic was used, either, since I'm pretty sure they established that it requires that both end points be set up in advance, are one-way, and are potentially dangerous to use....plus, then that would've meant they could've been teleporting everywhere this entire time, and this show would've been way shorter. :P Really, while I haven't read the source material, I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger issue was just...the author wasn't sure how to add dramatic tention to the climax of this arc, then came up with a large-scale plan that sounded pretty good at face-value, but realized too late that they had wrote themselves into a corner and said fuck it: Space is Warped and Time is Bendable!

Then again, this whole show didn't seem like the usual Light Novel story I'd expect to get adapted into an anime these days, with big action setpieces not really being at the forefront. Though, with J.C. Staff handling the animation, the action wouldn't have been impressive no matter what. That's not to say the animation was bad, but it wasn't exactly good, either, especially with most of the action scenes it did have. I mean, when they finally had the two most powerful witches we've seen clash, it was pretty much just a beam-struggle, and not even a DBZ-level one. Just...two people standing around, throwing the same spell at eachother until one spell overpowers the other. They clash multiple times, and outside of using different spells, it's pretty much the same scene. I don't even think it counts as a spoiler, though, since again...the fighting itself wasn't meant to be significant. If anything, it would've gone against the themes and goals of the entire second half of this series if it was just a huge spectacle that the audience couldn't wait to see.

Really, those were my biggest complaints, but I still enjoyed it overall, enough that I accidently wrote more than two sentences to describe my feelings on it for once. I better post it now before I change my mind and reduce it all to "I liked it."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:29:26 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »
Started watching a classic anime, Rurouni Kenshin. I really like the cast, setting and most of the battles are fun to watch.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: September 23, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
Time for this.

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2018/tv
http://anichart.net/fall-2018

There's a ton of school life stuff and I can't be bothered to write about all the 'meh' ones.

Anime:

Sword Art Online: Alicization
SAO with Kirito... so bad. That Kirito-less season is still the best and they don't want to admit it.

Goblin Slayer
A hardcore gritty and rapey serie about goblins and a guy whose life goal is to kill as many of them as possible for revenge.
Actually pretty good, but not lighthearted in any way.
Think of it as a really dark Grimgar.

Fairy Tail (2018)
For anyone that hasn't actually dropped Fairy Tail yet.

Toaru Majutsu no Index III
Now this is a pleasant surprise. Not much information yet as to what it will cover, but it's 26 episodes so it should be a good amount.
Based on where the last anime ended, there's a lot of juicy possible plot that could be covered.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
ISEKAI ISEKAI ISEKAI
This one ranks pretty high on the isekai chart so it's among the best you'll find.
It gets pretty stupid around volume 7-8 in the novel, but the beginning, which this will cover, is golden so I'm fully recommending it.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai
A girl with the weird ability to not be noticed wears a bunny uniform (the sexy kind) because why not.
The main character sees through it and they start analyzing the "teenage syndrome" which she suffers from to try and cure her.
Eventually gets more girls with different "syndromes".
It's pretty cheesy for a supernatural/love/school life. if you're looking for that go ahead.

Conception
Based on the RPG of the same name.
Ugh...

RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida
Technically partly already out so you can try it now if you want.

Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san
A modern human girl befriends a vampire girl.
Cute girls doing cute things.

Gakuen Basara
Yes, the BASARA means BASARA.
As in Sengoku BASARA. This is all these characters in high school.
I'll probably watch if only to see Yukimura scream.

Gyakuten Saiban: something
Remember how big of a disaster it was the last time they tried to animate Gyakuten Saiban?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo!
Based on a Chinese cartoon that feels like it's based on the dreams that guy has in Horimiya where he lives with cat boys.

Movies:

DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY
Awwwww yeah.
I'm not even a Broly fan, but I do want more DBS.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Detonation
Nanoha hasn't had a good name for many long years now.
I can't really get my hopes up... but hey... maybe this will be the one?
You know, like every Star Ocean since 3.

OVA

An extra episode of Stein's Gate 0 and a Re:Zero OVA.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: September 23, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
Time for this.

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2018/tv
http://anichart.net/fall-2018

This time I came prepared! I watched all of the trailers that were available last week, so now instead of basing my enthusiasm on a rough guess by skimming descriptions, pictures, and a couple trailers, I'm basing it on a rough recollection on whatever I meant to post last week, but was afraid I was jumping the gun...

Anywho:

MHA S3 has ended, so I don't even have to worry about continuing series except for OP and DBS.

The return of Fairy Tail and Jojo's Bizzare Adventures are obviously the biggest draws this season that should fill MHA's gap quite nicely, but I'm still multiple arcs behind on both of these series, and I'm kind of shounen'd out this year.

A Certain Magical Index III - Wait, they're brining this back? Why? I mean, I enjoyed it when I first watched S1 and 2, but...it helped that I hadn't burnt out on LN-based series yet. I remember fuck-all about its plot and any character that wasn't in A Certain Scientific Railgun. I suppose if this eventually leads to more of that one, then I guess I can't complain, but I'm still gonna sit this one out.

SSSS.GRIDMAN - Oh hey! I actually remember seeing an episode or two of Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad back in the day! I remember really enjoying it, and I wished I could've seen more. This looks like an intentional blast to the past, and it's got Studio Trigger at the helm! Should be a fun time!

RErideD - Derrida, who leaps through time - This could go either way, but the trailers caught my interest, at least. It looks and sounds very Terminator-ish, except going forward in time instead of back. Hopefully it'll be a fun romp, but I'm really not expecting anything more out of it than that.

DOUBLE DECKER! Doug & Kirill - Oh my God! I love the sense of style this one has had in the trailers! The CGI was pretty heavy and did not mix well with the 2D, especially for a Sunrise series, but this whole set up feels like something Chunsoft would make, anyways, yet it's an original series. I like this Steampunk 1930-ish Magic noir high-octane action....niche? I guess? It wants to be a slightly more serious Blood Blockade Battlefront, and I am okay with that. =P

Radiant - Another stylish action series that has my attention, this time an adaptation of a french comic. Hopefully it'll be enjoyable, but the premise does sound incredibly cliche - the sort of pitch you'd expect your anime-loving friend back in high school to pull out when he wants to tell you about this amazing TV show he's cooking up that they're totally gonna make someday.

...except here it is, on Japanese television, and I totally want to watch it. Gotta give props to the French manga creator that did what plenty before him had tried and failed in the West, and many more gave up on way before they even put a pencil to paper. It's got a distinct enough look, and cliche can be enjoyable if done right. I think this might be a worth a shot.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:37:18 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 27, 2018, 12:14:48 AM »
So I was bored and started watching My Hero Academia and watched about 18 episodes. Shonen isn't my thing but recently its been Grapest anime ever so I'd give it a try. Its fine I guess. However its so paint by numbers shonen that I fail to see what people see in it (dunno: maybe the reason its so popular is becuase its such a paint by numbers shonen). I mean jeez at least do 1 thing different like ship your MC w/ frog girl instead of boring moe girl or something.

Other than that Handebayo is good. I liked the twist in the middle where the MC
Spoiler: show
turned into a little shit, and I think would be a much more interesting anime if she stayed that way. unfortunately she's going to find redemption through the power of sprots and friendship by the end of the season. bummer. 

Oh and AoT its still really good! not sure why its not as popular as it once was. I enjoyed season 2 and Season 3 has been even better (arguably my fav anime of the year). Sure they are dragging out this "mystery" of the Titans but they are doing it well with little reveals with each episode instead of just saving it for say the final 2-3 episodes like some animes do.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 27, 2018, 02:31:04 AM »
@Rook My Hero Academia celebrates the tropes of shounen anime while refining the formula where it can. If you outright dislike those tropes, though, I could see it not really resonating with you. It's not like it's trying to reinvent the genre or anything. As a huge fan of shounen who also has been enjoying MHA, I'd argue it doesn't really need to. The passion it put into how its characters are written, how well-thought-out its setting is, and how there has been very little filler, leading to a much more consistantly-entertaining experience that I haven't seen since Hunter x Hunter finished airing...it's been easily the most fun out of any series this year that I've seen. Just my two cents.

Anywho: Started rewatching Mobile Suit Gundam UC, and I'm up to episode 6 already. I really should've rewatched this sooner, it's not as flawed as I thought it was when I was going months between episodes. Characterization was much more consistant, at any rate. Episode 4 was still very rushed, though, with entire subplots truncated to the bare minimum...I basically had to read quite a bit on the wiki just to figure out who Loni Garvey's parents were and why they were so important, when they died, what motivated Loni, why she seemed so crazy (I figured she was a cyber Newtype, but no, she was just a grief-stricken girl who was pushed towards piloting the behemoth her father designed). They kind of mentioned this in the show, but it was so slap-dashed that I couldn't really wrap my head around it...

I recall episode 6 was a little slow, so I'll save it and the final episode for tomorrow. Hopefully the finale is better than I remembered...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:20:59 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 27, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »
@Rook My Hero Academia celebrates the tropes of shounen anime while refining the formula where it can. If you outright dislike those tropes, though, I could see it not really resonating with you. It's not like it's trying to reinvent the genre or anything. As a huge fan of shounen who also has been enjoying MHA, I'd argue it doesn't really need to. The passion it put into how its characters are written, how well-thought-out its setting is, and how there has been very little filler, leading to a much more consistantly-entertaining experience that I haven't seen since Hunter x Hunter finished airing...it's been easily the most fun out of any series this year that I've seen. Just my two cents.

Funny MHA is in the middle of their tournament arc, I just kept thinking that that yea HxH did this and did it so much better. However, I ended up dropping HxH somewhere in the chimera ant arc b/c I thought the anime just died when Hisoka wasn't on the screen.

So yea, Shonen probably just isn't my thing. Its not that I hate the genre. Blue Seed is one of my all time favs.  FMA and FMAB are in my top 10 (I'm in the minority that I like FMA better though, probably b/c its less shonen-y).  Plus Gintama spoiled me because when they decide to do shonen arcs, they do it better than anyone else IMO.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: September 28, 2018, 05:39:51 AM »
....Started rewatching Mobile Suit Gundam UC....Hopefully the finale is better than I remembered...

Nope.

Spoiler: show
Still a very silly conclusion where Laplace's Box is horribly contrived and anti-climactic, and Newtype bullshit gets cranked up to 11. Seriously, I know UC Gundam has a history of adding more questionable abilities to Newtypes in the Final act/Finale, but we've officially reached the point where Gundams are turning Super Saiyan Blue to stop a giant, time-traveling Doumu that can take over other robots. And then they stop a WMD-class space laser using NT-fields amplified by the power of friendship. Seriously, how did we get here??? This is not sci-fi anymore.

Nevermind that the Unicorn can just repair itself now, Dark Gundam-style, or that no one brings up the fact that they're all gonna be considered traitors of the state for their actions. Nope, just pat yourselves on the back for opening Laplace's Box, and giving everyone the truth...that humanity obviously squanders, since Gundam F91, Crossbone Gundam, and Victory Gundam are all things. The cycle kept repeating, and nothing changed because of all of this. I dunno who they thought they could fool - this series was clearly made for hardcore fans, even when it was a light novel. I was fully prepared for this to be a tragedy when I first watched it, and I honestly feel like it would've been a better story if they didn't try to make it end happily ever after. I rarely say that, but in this case, it's a fantasy that's immediately shattered by the stories that take place after it, of which there are many.

TL;DR - This story wrote itself into a corner, so they pulled out an anime ending that would've been perfectly fine in Gundam Build Fighter, but feels completely out of place in here. It was great up until this point, and it still had a lot of pretty animation that felt climactic, it's just too bad the story fell so flat.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:20:30 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: October 05, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
Assuming they didn't blow their whole budget on ep. 1, Run with the Wind is going to be so good.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: October 07, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
Gakuen Basara was a lot worst than I thought.
It doesn't even look good which was a staple of BASARA up to now =/

I got my YUKIMURA OYAKATASAMA already in ep.1, I might just drop it now.