Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #4830 on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Finally had an excuse to watch Akira, and it was pretty good. The story fell apart after a while, but I knew about the reasons why going in. At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

I'm always finding myself impressed with the fluidity of the animation, whenever I watch it. Disney's animated movies from around the same time were similarly impressive. Seems to be a near-lost art these days...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 06, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
Finally had an excuse to watch Akira, and it was pretty good. The story fell apart after a while, but I knew about the reasons why going in. At least it's still a technical marvel, very beautiful to look at. I can see why it's considered a classic, that's for sure.

I must have watched it 50+ times but not in the past decade. The 1st 20 minutes are just god-tier anime, then it meanders for the next 2.  The animation tho, still just looks fantastic.

Binged 10 episodes of Saga of Tanya the Evil. Was definitely not expecting to be that good and the animation is amazing.

I didn't think Gintama could pull off an excellent final arc w/ so many characters to shovel in. I should know by now to never underestimate the greatness of Gintama.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: August 12, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Re-watched another blast from the past that's completely forgotten by now.

Coyote Ragtime Show
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1194/Coyote_Ragtime_Show
It's way better than the 6.71 score on MAL would lead to believe.

It's a non-stop, action fueled, space pirate/heist anime with no punches pulled.
The animation is pretty good and the action sequences are well made.
The characters are super charismatic - heroes and foes alike.

It's funny because 12 episodes is not all that much for world building or character development, but they do a really good job at both without sacrificing the main story.

As for the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eilfm6TThI

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
I'm enjoying Planet With only I have no idea why I'm enjoying it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: August 27, 2018, 04:19:17 AM »
Grimoire of Zero - Finished it off last night, after...accidentally forgetting about it for a whole month. I enjoyed it a fair bit. Nothing groundbreaking, just a story about a country having a typical medival witch hunt involving actual witches, wherein a witch is trying to retrieve her stolen book of powerful spells that seems to have leaked to populous, alongside the mercenary she contracts as her bodyguard - who hates witches, since it was their magic during the witch wars of old that caused him, and many others, to be born with their souls fused with animal, giving them the appearance of beast-men. He's only joining the witch since she promised to undo the curse at the end of their contract.

The story mostly focused on world-building and setting up the plot, as well as delving into its characters. Really, it's been a while since my favorite part of an anime was just seeing a likeable cast of characters explore their world while playing off of eachother with witty banter. They really were a treat to watch, and the story did enough to get me to care about their plights and see how it would play out. Unfortunately the climax was a bit rushed - I mean, it was a 12-episode anime, what else could you expect? At least it felt like a complete story arc, the biggest problems were just in terms of logistics - suddenly they're able to cover vast distances that used to take them days in the span of hours, or even minutes. I don't think teleportation magic was used, either, since I'm pretty sure they established that it requires that both end points be set up in advance, are one-way, and are potentially dangerous to use....plus, then that would've meant they could've been teleporting everywhere this entire time, and this show would've been way shorter. :P Really, while I haven't read the source material, I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger issue was just...the author wasn't sure how to add dramatic tention to the climax of this arc, then came up with a large-scale plan that sounded pretty good at face-value, but realized too late that they had wrote themselves into a corner and said fuck it: Space is Warped and Time is Bendable!

Then again, this whole show didn't seem like the usual Light Novel story I'd expect to get adapted into an anime these days, with big action setpieces not really being at the forefront. Though, with J.C. Staff handling the animation, the action wouldn't have been impressive no matter what. That's not to say the animation was bad, but it wasn't exactly good, either, especially with most of the action scenes it did have. I mean, when they finally had the two most powerful witches we've seen clash, it was pretty much just a beam-struggle, and not even a DBZ-level one. Just...two people standing around, throwing the same spell at eachother until one spell overpowers the other. They clash multiple times, and outside of using different spells, it's pretty much the same scene. I don't even think it counts as a spoiler, though, since again...the fighting itself wasn't meant to be significant. If anything, it would've gone against the themes and goals of the entire second half of this series if it was just a huge spectacle that the audience couldn't wait to see.

Really, those were my biggest complaints, but I still enjoyed it overall, enough that I accidently wrote more than two sentences to describe my feelings on it for once. I better post it now before I change my mind and reduce it all to "I liked it."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:29:26 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »
Started watching a classic anime, Rurouni Kenshin. I really like the cast, setting and most of the battles are fun to watch.