Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327786 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 264926 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2006, 07:03:45 PM »

Episode 8 of Haruhi Suzumiya = Great stuff. I thought that Remote Island Syndrome (Part 1) was a pretty weak episode, but the payoff we get in this episode is great. The solution to the murder mystery in itself isn't anything special, but there were some good character moments throughout, and the Phoenix Wright reference at the end was awesome.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2006, 02:40:57 AM »

Hahaha..someone posted and now I can too! woo...>.>

Melancholy of Haruhi is awesome! Cauton already covered the latest news >.>

Finished Full Moon. Cried at the end, but I still don't like the story very much...I mainly watched it all because I wanted to see her die. :) The story doesn't make sense to me at all and the age differences are...disturbing.

Genshiken was an awesome watch! Everyone who watches anime or reads manga should check this show out! :P Character, story, watching someone who doesn't fit into the whole otaku scene try to fit in, everything rocked! :)

Mushishi is one of the greatest anime ever created. Just how the serie seems to flow over you like a gentle stream of wisdom and entertainment. It leaves you sitting there, soaking in the episode as you ponder its meanings. Beautifully drawn, beautifully scored, beautifully told.

Watched 5 episodes of Fate Stay Night. Wow, that main character guy pisses me off :) And Saber is cool and all. I wanna see it get exciting.

Nana is awesome! Punk Nana4life. Watched the Live Action as well, punk Nana not so hot in that and some pretty poor performances, but eh, it was a pretty good story. Maybe I shall read the manga now...>.>
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »

Speaking of Genshiken, turns out that the rumored second season in reality is a proper Kujibiki Unbalance anime. I honestly don't know how to react. While the Kujian episodes included on the Genshiken DVDs were fun send-ups of usual anime clichés, I doubt that Kujibiki can stand on it's own. I would have prefered a real second season of Genshiken, especially as the manga is going to end soon.

As ANN seems to be down at the moment, here's a quote:
While initial reports from Comiket were that there would be a second season of Genshiken, Moonphase now reports that the project is actually a new, independant Kujibiki Unbalance TV series and a serialised manga.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 09:48:13 AM »

I guess I might be a little late to the party here, but School Rumble is really good. I waded through all of season 1 in two days, and have watched most of the 2nd Term eps released so far. I think I actually like 2nd Term more than the first season - the more over-the-top humor really appeals to me. Episodes like the War Game ones rank up there with the best episodes of Azumanga Daioh when it comes to high school comedies. School Rumble's also got some of my fave seiyuu in it, like Yui Horie and Mamiko Noto (I love her voice, it's so sweet).

Also, 2nd Term seems to have recieved a bigger budget than the first season. Artwork and animation have improved a lot.

Ouran High School club is, too, is just getting better and better. I think I'm turning into something of a BONES fanboy - most things they're involved it turns out pretty damn great. Should come as no surpries, though, considering the people behind the studio.

Fate/Stay Night, on the other hand, is just getting worse and worse. Sure, you shouldn't expect much from a fight-of-the-week show with harem elements in it, but the latest episodes have been pretty bad. The producers also seem to take for granted that the viewers are familiar with the game, as some things are never properly explained (unless the last few episodes turn out to be huge exposition extravaganzas)
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 03:33:14 PM »

I watched the latest .hack//Roots episode and it was okay. Nothing important happened because what is speculated to be the place where they will go to get the Key of the Twilight.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:40 PM »

Just today I randomly caught an episode of Mirage of Blaze on TV (Encore WAM channel.)  I dug the music, the dark art style, and the character designs.  It was atmospheric and there were some cool moments (such as when Saori kicks major ass with a shovel when fighting zombies that Takaya's like "whoa, she's not useless deadweight after all") and everything... but I couldn't help but feel that this was a Neal-pleasing visual package over a very cliched premise, about spirits from the past possessing peoples' bodies to re-enact a war they thought ended poorly.  And the whole lengthy summoning sequence with loads of colors was lame, because what self-respecting baddie would sit through one of those lengthy things?  

I don't know what to make of Mirage of Blaze.  I love the visuals and it is atmospheric (I LOVE that dark vibe akin to Boogiepop Phantom) but the premise and the summong sequences are so silly that it totally ruins the dark atmosperics.  

It seems like it'd be a fun series to watch, but I doubt I'd waste money on a box set.  

Did I mention the dub was godawful?  It was like an old-school dub with bad actors who emphasized the incorrect words and put no emotion where there needed to be emotion.  I thought we were over this shit by now.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 05:53:07 AM »

Watch Mushishi, Neal!! Watch it!

In other news, Eureka Seven wasn't too bad. It got annoying at times, but the ending wasn't awful, which is to say better than most anime endings.

Yakitate Japan is starting to annoy me and I might just stop watching it all together soon.

Waiting for Major to be release is a painful struggle to keep myself sane since I love that series so much!

Watched the first episode of Planetes...not sure what to think of it yet.

Did I mention Mushishi rocks?

Will start Kino's Travel tomorrow.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2006, 06:55:26 PM »

I watched Blood+ 30 & 31 last night. Awesome episodes. This show just keeps on getting better and better. Episode 31 in particular pulled a 360, regarding a certain character.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2006, 09:00:43 PM »

Wow, I haven't posted here in a long time!

I just read Bleach Vol. 13 and found it enjoyable. Though, like most SJ manga, it has some plot pacing issues to say the least. I really like the twists and turns though when they happen as well as set up for future events.

Rurouni Kenshin Vol. 27 was also quite a bit of fun even if it was just setup for the climax. I really like how far the characters have come since the beginning of the series, especially Yahiko. I know how the Jinchu arc ends (kind of) because of the Reflection OVA, but from what I hear that OVA did it very poorly compared to the manga. Well, I guess I'll find out next month so please no one spoil it for me.

Now for a bit of a Naruto rant:

The manga has really come full circle, and I can't say it is a good thing. Again, the "first half" of the manga's plot was poorly paced, but enjoyable enough. Now the plot is moving incredibly fast for the most part and Kishimoto is introducing so many twists, turns, and WTFs that I have trouble seeing how he plans to resolve them well. Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased things are moving, but wow, he's going to have to take quite a bit of time to tie everything together. Maybe it's just me, but it also feels rushed, like Kishimoto is just trying to get finished now. I don't blame him really considering the demands a weekly chapter would place on a writer/artist. But I'd like him to explain some things more clearly and not be so ambiguous when he introduces something new.

As for where Naruto's story is headed:
Code:
I'm curious as to what is going to happen with Naruto himself. There has been plenty of foreshadowing that Naruto could die, and not just in the weekly battles, but nearing the conclusion of the manga itself. Although I find it highly unlikely considering this is a shonen manga, I find these hints hard to ignore.

Two end of series volumes out next month for my reading enjoyment: RuroKen Vol. 28 and Chrono Crusade Vol. 8! I'm excited.

As for watching anime, I really don't have the time or money to anymore. Considering DVDs generally cost at least $15.00+ (I've seen some up to almost $30.00 before) I find manga much more affordable if it is available. Though I've tried to catch Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig on CN. I managed to catch the finale and was pretty much wondering WTF is going on plot wise. Luckily I did catch the Origami (sp?) episode, so I understood that much. As for the war, destruction, and mayhem? I was lost. Guess I'll have to try and catch reruns.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »

I reread (skimmed) through Mars since I watched the live action Tawainese drama.  It was actually pretty good.  I didn't see it all since I could only find a few that were subbed.  I must say that the lead actors have gotten better since Meteor Garden which I am also watching at the moment.  I love Hana Yori Dango so I have to see the whole series.  I did end up watching the Japanese version of HYD and loved it.  The girl who plays Makino is so cute.  Unfortunately I didn't find any of the guys attractive except maybe Soujiro.  Anyways, MG is following very closely to the manga while HYD condenses events in the manga.  So far, I like the Japanese version better since it doesn't drag and is really funny and has better production values.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »

The 10th episode of .hack//Roots was decent but more questions need to be answered now.
Code:
Why did Ovan go in the first place if he knew it was a setup and how did Naobi do all of this? What is Naobi searching for in Ovan's data that probably has something to do with the giant thing on Ovan. I'm also waiting for Tri-Edge to do something since we saw a glimpse of him I think two episodes ago. It seems as if Tawaraya is being isolated from the two members of TaN that we know about
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2006, 03:30:21 AM »

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 12

Fuck damn, Kyoto Animation rocks, in every sense of the word. The animation during the concert segment was... awesome. Amazing. Outstanding. So fluid, so well choreographed, fantastic angles and closeups and incredible attention to detail. The show has showcased some hot animation before, but this was some of the best yet.

Oh, and the songs were pretty good too.

A good episode all in all, and I liked how we got to see other sides of Haruhi's personality.

I must say that I think MHS had a few weak episodes in the middle, but three most recent ones have been fantastic. I'm hoping that the last two episodes keep up the high quality, so the shows end on a good note.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »

The 12th episode of Roots was really boring. It was the same blah blah blah what will we do Ovan isn't coming back crap that was the entire 11th episode. It looks as if Naobi and Ender have new PCs now and I have a feeling Tri-Edge will make a move very soon.

I picked up Karas: The Prophecy and watched the very beginning. It is very cool from what I've seen but it is kind of confusing.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »

I can't really say I know much about anime/manga, seeing as the only "real" anime i've actually seen is one Studio Ghibli film, that being Princess Mononoke. Oh and the very first episode of FF Unlimited and the Animatrix (i know that doesn't really count, cuz that one ain't japanese). I suppose thats what comes from being a British Northerner, the sort of person who stereotypically thinks manga and anime are the same (i know mangas the comic  book type thing and anime is the animated one), that japanese animation is for kids (i know there are a lot of animations that are most definitely not) and thinks that crap American versions of anime (Pokemon and Digimon *cough*) count as having seen real japanese animation. Oh and can you recommend any anime films I should see before I die? Please? If you say  Ah, My Goddess i'll kill you.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »

Anime films? Well, some that spring to mind are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Memories and Wings of Honneamise. That's just the tip of the ice berg though.

And if you're asking for both films and TV/OAV series then the list could go on and on and on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: