Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 12:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327303 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 191 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 262693 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Anime films? Well, some that spring to mind are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Memories and Wings of Honneamise. That's just the tip of the ice berg though.

And if you're asking for both films and TV/OAV series then the list could go on and on and on.

I've only heard of let's see... 4 of those... Clearly I haven't been alive. And no, it's just films. I can think of loads of TV series I should see: Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis, the rest of FF Unlimited, Naruto, etc. Please tell me if those ones suck.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:51 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

I've only heard of let's see... 4 of those... Clearly I haven't been alive. And no, it's just films. I can think of loads of TV series I should see: Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis, the rest of FF Unlimited, Naruto, etc. Please tell me if those ones suck.

Hey, the fact that you haven't heard about all of them might be proof that you actually have a life.

Anywho, Neon Genesis Evangelion is pretty good. FF Unlimited is crap (at least that's what I and many other think. But I only watched the first two episodes). Naruto is immensely popular, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I guess it's pretty good for it's genre (which is cashcow/merchendise/fight of the week show), though.

Gudam Wing I haven't seen, yet, but I'm told it's pretty great.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »

FF Unlimited sucks. At least I thought so. I won't bother going into Gundam because the only Gundam Series I've seen and liked was SEED. NGE is good minus the stupid ending. Naruto is okay as long as it is the direct story from the manga and not the atrocious filler episodes. Though I will suggest watching Naruto for no other reason than episode 133. I stopped watching anime for the most part after seeing that episode because it was so good.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2006, 04:50:07 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Though I will suggest watching Naruto for no other reason than episode 133. I stopped watching anime for the most part after seeing that episode because it was so good.

Let me guess... Naruto is beaten and looks to be dead/unconcious when he miraculously recovers thanks to that Nine-Tails thing, and goes on to beat his opponent into a pulp?

So.. How does that differ from the other 132 episodes? :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Quote from: "Jimmy"
Though I will suggest watching Naruto for no other reason than episode 133. I stopped watching anime for the most part after seeing that episode because it was so good.

Let me guess... Naruto is beaten and looks to be dead/unconcious when he miraculously recovers thanks to that Nine-Tails thing, and goes on to beat his opponent into a pulp?

So.. How does that differ from the other 132 episodes? :P

1. The animation was fantastic.
2. The tension. Where before Naruto is fighting "bad guys," in this episode he's fighting
Code:
a friend, Sasuke.

It's the most emotionally charged episode of any anime I've ever seen and is really the only episode of Naruto that I would say is excellent. The rest are just mediocre.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »

w00t! for double posting!

Chrono Crusade Vol. 8:

Wow, what else can be said? I think this is probably the best manga series I've ever read. I could stand reading through the entire series again though because the months between each volume made me forget a lot of what happened. That and it was just a lot to take in. Still a great series, and a nice, bittersweet ending. I loved it.

Rurouni Kenshin Vol. 28:

Another w00t! for Kenshin, which is still my favorite. The ending was great and resolved everything pretty well. I don't know how well known Kenshin is, so I'll use a spoiler tag just in case:

Code:
It was kind of sad to see Kenshin would no longer be able to fight with a sword. I didn't quite understand what exactly was wrong with him, but I'm assuming he just tore his muscles and tendons too much and never allowed himself to recover properly. I know the Reflection OVA makes it out to be leprosy, but I kind of have my doubts about that. I suppose that is still possible though.

Now I don't really no what to do with myself. Now all I have left is Naruto. Maybe Death Note, but the series is getting old and is failing to develop the main characters anymore in my opinion. Started off fantastically, but my interest in the series is gradually declining.

I'm going to check out Buso Renkin Vol. 1 next month, but I'm a tad skeptical on it. Especially since the main character looks too much like Yahiko. I'm hoping this doesn't mean Watsuki has a limitation to character designs like Toriyama does. He admits to hardly ever being entirely original with his characters, and I give him credit for admitting that, and maybe it's just me, but I don't think you should create a new character for a new series that looks so much like a character from the previous series.

And that's it.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm typically drawn to the shounen action genre but I'm willing to give others a shot.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2006, 01:30:13 AM »

It's been a while since I read the Kenshin manga, but from what I understand:
Code:
After all years of fighting, Kenshin's body were so worn out that he just couldn't perform all those crazy hiten mitsurugi ryu techniques anymore. Anyway, it's a fitting end to the series, in the way. After the battle with Enishi, Kenshin finally feels that he's come to terms with his past, and redeemed himself for all the lives he took during the revolution (Tomoe's specifically). He really doesn't have any reason to fight anymore.

Also, I'd not take anything that's presented in Reflections as cannon. That OAV was made without the input of the author, and is pretty damn horrible if you ask me.

As for other manga.. How about Bleach? It's another one of them never ending shounen type of mangas. Or maybe Samurai Deeper Kyo? I think it'll be hard to find something comparable to Kenshin, though, as the RK manga actually has some depth to it, unlike the majority of the shounen fare.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2006, 01:53:04 AM »

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm typically drawn to the shounen action genre but I'm willing to give others a shot.

Currently, I'm reading Flame of Recca, Great Teacher Onizuka, and Berserk. Samurai Deeper Kyo manga sounds intriguing. I've seen the anime series already, and while it was enjoyable, if not rather confusing at times, the action scenes weren't that exciting. I did like the large cast of characters.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2006, 03:00:55 AM »

I just started watching Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Now, Iím not a big anime fan.  In fact, I donít like a lot of it.  In my opinion, itís the characters that make any story great and so much anime seems to feature the old character archetypes.  This series caught me completely by surprise, itís was just a breath of fresh air.  The first Episode was a bit misleading, I thought the series would be parody.  Episode two really made me fall in love with the show.  The main character for one isnít your typical indecisive spineless fool or ďbadassĒ I know everything character.  He isnít exactly in the middle either.  He is cynical, he ask questions and despite what other (and probably himself) think, he is quiet intelligent too.  His role as a medium between the story and the audience is amazing, itís something Iíve never seen before.  The rest of the cast,  They are introduced as your typical cliche characters...  Itís such a joy to watch their real personalities unravel.

A beautiful anime, so far itís the best Iíve ever seen.
Lt. Fukai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2006, 07:03:58 AM »

I recently finish Trinity Blood, and Iím in eleven episode of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruni. Trinity Blood was great, but apparently it left so many things unclear respect the novels and another adaptations of them, in the opening appears a scene that is never explain in the entire series, is definitive that I need read the novels. About The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruni, this series itís a lot fun, especially the first episode, the rest have so many allusions to Japanese culture, however itís fun no matter if you canít understand such things.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »

Saw Howl's Moving Castle today. Is very good (well it is a studio ghibli film) but doesnt seem to make a lot of sense. Well it does, it's just very odd. Like Princess Mononoke was. Christian Bale sounds almost exactly like he did in Equilibrium, except with a bit more emotion in his voice - especially when
Code:
Sophie accidentally messes up Howl's magic potion so his hair goes red then dark brown, and he says "How am I supposed to live if I'm not beautiful?!", in the funniest moment of the film.
But yeah, you really should see this film. Now all I have to do is see Spirited Away and I'll have seen 3 of the more recent Miyazaki films. Hmmm... I may be getting Ghost in the Shell for my birthday at the end of the month. Is the second one worth seeing too? And what about Stand Alone Complex?
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »

Ghost in the Shell (2): Innocence is by some considered to be masterpeice of animation.

Me? I think it's utter crap. Yes, it's beatifully produced, with amazing visuals and audio. But, it tries WAY too hard to be deep and philosophical, and the constant quoting of poets/philoshopers is increadibly pretentious.

Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, on the other hand, is awesome. It's some of the best TV anime ever produced.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »

OK, i'll keep that in mind. I know Akira is very good, but is Steamboy? Ive seen it in a video rental shop, and it says its from the makers of Akira. Has anyone seen it and if they have, can they tell me if its any good?
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »

Steamboy was good but it wasn't anything special.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2006, 04:54:44 AM »

Y'know what?

Kamichu > You.

That is all I have to say about this week's rentals. LOVE.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 191 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: