Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334809 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 288503 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:36:53 PM »

Okay, just like the game journal, post what you've been watching, any key thoughts on series'/movies/etc, and so on. Cool junk you've acquired can be popped up too. Screencaps and photos welcome, but for ones over 400px wide please just link, don't embed.

To date, I've started watching the new Ah! My Godess TV series on DVD, and I'm a big fan so far. It's obviously not as OMG PRETTY (pardon the pun) as the OVAs or movie, but it's definitely doing a good job at balancing fluid animation and not skimping on the elaborate costumes and hairstyles.

And just to plug, there'll be a review of mine on it coming up on Anime Dream, so check the site after this weekend.

I've also been watching Salaryman Kintaro, an oldie but goodie about a former roughneck gang leader who's trying to change his life and enter the business world. It's fairly campy at points because of the gang leader past and whatnot, but it's also quite endearing.

REC - Aka in Episode 2

Finally, I've been watching REC and reading Shion no Ou. REC is about a run of the mill salaryman down on his luck with women who runs into a girl aspiring to be a voice actress. It's very much a romantic drama with some comedy thrown in. It sounds very generic, but the details make it fairly unique. Recommended, just don't be surprised at the short (10 minute!) episodes.

Shion no Ou is a manga about a girl who plays Shogi (can anyone say the next thing the fans will be clamouring for once Go dies down?) and has a very traumatic past. Her parents were murdered when she was very young and she's been unable to speak as a result of the shock. She writes a lot of what she wants to say on a notepad to compensate and isn't a total introvert. Playing shogi brought her out of her shell and she's quite competitive, though still hampered by elements of her past (who wouldn't be with that sort of thing?). It's well drawn (though some of the hairstyles make the heads look a bit longer than they should in the back), and flows quite well. Very recommended.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 05:35:38 AM »

Manga!

Took a trip to Kinokuniya today and ended up buying...

Host Club Vol.5-- Light-hearted and delightfully random. I love this series because it isn't as heavy (or fan-serviced) as others. Just a group of school students at Ouran High School who keep getting into funny situations. Kind of messy, in a way suitable to the storyline.

Fruits Basket Vol.1 & Vol.2
My friend recommended the Fruits Basket series. I don't like the art that much but it's nothing I can't adapt to. The characters can be categorized by stereotype and some (Kyo in particular) are a bit tiresome. That aside, I really like it. May pick up another two or three volumes next time. It's a little addictive. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:36:45 PM »

Fruits Basket I found cute as an anime, but I didn't like the ending. Too rushed, and done while the manga was still developing. Let me know how it progresses Nuri, I've been searching for a sensible opinion on it (which is rare supply these days thanks to all the Furuba fangirls).
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »

I got Beck Vol 3 at Waldenbooks yesterday and it's great. I just wish Tokyopop sped it's release up. I watched War In The Pocket with my friend at his house early this morning because I felt it was okay for him to watch it without seeing the original MSG and I'll probably let him see Stardust Memories as well.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 01:15:28 PM »

Just recently read DeathNote Vol. 4. The series is really enjoyable but I found this volume to be the best so far in the plot twists and funnier scenes. It was hilarious how Light was just annoyed by Misa chasing him around. I was also impressed by L's trick at figuring out who the second Kira was. Great fun.

As for anime, I've only been watching Full Metal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. on Adult Swim recently. I'm really looking forward to seeing how FMA ends since, if I heard correctly, there are only 50 something episodes and next week is episode 50.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 01:18:12 PM »

Just started watching Ichigo Mashimaro.

Nobue throwing the kids off her bed.

This is a 'day in the life of' series about a gaggle of little girls, their 'older sister' (really just a friend who keeps an eye on them), and their antics. It's really odd because there's no major story to speak of. It's just them having fun, going about their business, and doing silly kiddy things. Very much a feel-good series. Some of the episodes like "A hot summer's day" are just hilarious. Nothing like having a sixth grading prank your cell phone ringer.

Good stuff.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 01:30:05 PM »

Your description of Ichigo Mashimaro makes it sound a bit like Azumanga Daioh - feel-good, slice-of-life series without any real storyline to speak of. If you've seen it, would you say that they're similar? Been looking for something in that same vein, and Ichigo Mashimaro might just fit the bill.

As for me, I recently finished Monster and am now watching Midori no Hibi. It's a cute little romantic comedy about a delinquent who wakes up to find a print-sized girl named Midori attached to his right arm. Yeah. It's a weird premise, but it works pretty well within its own boundries. It's not earth-shatteringly good by any means, but it's enjoyable enough.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »

It's hard to say it's similar because of the differences in humour. It has the same minimalist approach to animation, a similar pacing, but it's less random and disconnected than AzuDai. Where AzuDai is frenetic and slapsticky, IchiMashi is more constrained. It's not always laugh out loud funny, but always brings a smile to your face.

I'd say it's closer to shows like Kodomo no Omocha, or even Hale & Guu in some ways (though not nearly as weird...).
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 02:13:14 PM »

Watching Mazinkaizer. Most people find shows like these pretty lame and Power-Rangery, but sometimes you need to watch something that DOESN'T require hours of hard thought afterwards.

It's nice to see that Mazinkaizer, while made in 2002, doesn't try to buy into current anime, but rather knows exactly what the hell it is and gives you as much action as you want.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
It's nice to see that Mazinkaizer, while made in 2002, doesn't try to buy into current anime, but rather knows exactly what the hell it is and gives you as much action as you want.

I'm in the 'it's lame' crowd, but I also as a result fall into the 'this is so horrible, it's awesome' group. The first 5 minutes of that, litterally, were so awesomely cliched, I loved it. However, I only saw the first episode. :P

Just watching the anime on Adult Swim as usual, or to be exact FMA and GitS2. Just reached THE plot twist in FMA, so there's only a couple of episodes left.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 01:26:17 AM »

I saw the 'Boku Wa Imouto Ni Koi Wo Suru' OVA. It's now one of my favourite anime movies, ever. Yes, I'm a weirdo. Shut up. :P

Anyway, I found it very cute, and romantic. Some parts even started tugging on my heart. Really well done. I liked every second of it, and hope some sort of sequel/follow-up is being made.

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 07:27:20 AM »

Y'know what they say about great disturbances in the force, Dizzy?

Yeah. One's happening. Right Now.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Fruits Basket I found cute as an anime, but I didn't like the ending. Too rushed, and done while the manga was still developing. Let me know how it progresses Nuri, I've been searching for a sensible opinion on it (which is rare supply these days thanks to all the Furuba fangirls).

I've been keeping up with the Fruits Basket manga here so I can give  you my opinion if you want it.  I am a fan of the series/manga but my love the series isn't anywhere near the obession displayed by people like the infamous Sepiroth fangirl.  

Anyways, the first few volumes of the manga are very much like the series.  There are a few scenes/side stories like Tohru thinking back to when she was a child and was lost.  Apparently she met one of the Sohmas as a child.  Now after the first few volumes of the manga, the sequence of events in the series is different.  For instance the dramatic events with Kyo occurred before some of the lighter everyday stuff in the series.  I'll have to look at the books later (I'm a at work) to give you specifics if you want.  Also Shigure is portrayed as a carefree hentai in the series, but the manga hints at a darker side to him.  You can tell he's plotting something.  What remains to be seen though.  Also you are introduced to the remaining cursed members of the family.

Oh also the romantic pairing is becoming clearer.  It's leaning the way I want it to thankfully.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

Hopefully Dizzy doesn't have a sister. :P

Took a break from Mazinkaiser real quick to watch MS Igloo. Personally, I think they should stop making the 1 year war side stories and make a real UC series.
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 02:03:22 AM »

Unfortuantly I have not seen much anime lately.  The last one I saw was R.O.D the movie, and I must say, I truly disliked it.  I know most do like it, but I don't.  And I will not go into why I didn't :P

The last series I watched was Arc The Lad II, IMO the best anime based on a game ever.  I have episodes 1-122 of Inuyasha to watch, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  Which is unfortunant, since I spent quite a bit on it...

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: