Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338513 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 297184 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: October 30, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »

Any recommendations of good anime that aired in 2008-2010? For the past year or so, I've been moving away from anime towards Japanese dramas, and I'm really behind in anime, and have no idea what is good or not.
the.impending.autumn
AMG A GIRL

.heroine.of.time.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:46 AM »

Anime (current) : Genesis Survivor Gaiarth, Welcome to the N.H.K., Genshiken 2, Wolf's Rain, Maison Ikkoku
Anime (just finished) : Genshiken, Haibane Renmei
Anime (watching wishlist) : Last Exile, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann

Manga : ON HOLD.  I have no time/money.  :'(
the.impending.autumn
AMG A GIRL

.heroine.of.time.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: November 07, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »

Any recommendations of good anime that aired in 2008-2010? For the past year or so, I've been moving away from anime towards Japanese dramas, and I'm really behind in anime, and have no idea what is good or not.

I second this.  I also fell away from anime and into doramas in recent years and I now want to come back to anime again.  Any anime suggestions would be great, but I'll also take any good dorama recommendations you have!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

I resumed Zeta Gundam. Just finished the 32nd episode. I like how much smaller this gundam feels in comparison to say Gundam Wing, where it seems like a single Gundam could just cut the world in half if they felt like it. However, some of the voice acting is awful. But I also like the old-school animation.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: November 13, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »

I've been feeling rather "meh" about anime lately, but out of curiosity I started watching Shiki on Hulu a couple weeks ago and I'm totally hooked. Really good creepy atmosphere despite some rather questionable character designs. I've only watched the first 9 episodes, but so far its one of the more successful horror anime I've watched. The 9th episode was rather chilling overall too. And sorta like Higurashi, I think the character designs throw you off, since they're so...colorful, which kinda contrasts with the tone.

One word of warning though, the plot moves slow. This is not a problem for me since I like the fact that they're taking their time to build the tension and develop the characters, but some may be turned off by this.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: November 13, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »

I'm currently 14 episodes in "Monster". So far i'm enjoying it.

I didn't get hooked instantly like I did with Higurashi but, about seven episodes in I started to see what it was doing and then I started to appreciate it more.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: November 15, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

Finished episode 38 of Zeta Gundam. This show picked up a lot in the last few episodes. Quattro is going as Char now, the whole exchange between Camille and Four was very good, and finally, the AEUG actually did something. The press conference episode is a high point of the series. I think my biggest complaint with this series is its pacing. So much of the early episodes meander as they try to establish the characters. I guess it was successful, because I did find myself empathizing with these characters a lot in the last few episodes, but couldn't they have made something like this happen, say 10 episodes earlier?

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: November 19, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »

This may be a little too late in response to those requests for good recent anime, but oh well
Bakemonogatari, Angel Beats, and something else i'm forgetting

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »

On a whim I went and bought a manga. That makes, I think, the second book I bought this year. So what did I come home with?

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service volume 1

I read a preview of this on Dark Horse's website and thought it looked interesting. Then I read some reviews and it seemed like it would deviate from the overflow of Shonen and other shit I'm not particularly interested in on the manga shelf. One reviewer described this as a mix between Scooby-Doo and Se7en.

After reading it over the past few days (each story was the perfect length, as I found I had just enough time to start and finish each chapter on the way to and from work), I'm impressed. Though none of the characters have really taken shape just yet, there is a pacing to the stories I really like. For a manga that has so much nudity (three of the four stories in the volume showcase some), I was pleased that it wasn't gratuitous or glorified. If the a character was naked, there was a reason for it, and usually a fucked up one.

Also, the presentation of the book is a breath of fresh air compared to the glossy, flamboyant covers that most manga sport.

If you can find the first volume (it took me a few days), I recommend you give it a shot.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: November 19, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »

Just started Mobile Suit Gundam and Star Driver. Star Driver is a Bones series, so I have high hopes for it.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: November 22, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »

Watched Spirited Away last night, hoping it would cure the cold I seem to have picked up over the weekend. It did not. Still, as always, a great anime.

Also, snagged the second volume of the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and 20th Century Boys Volume 1. Impressions forthcoming.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »

Watched Spirited Away last night, hoping it would cure the cold I seem to have picked up over the weekend. It did not. Still, as always, a great anime.

Also, snagged the second volume of the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and 20th Century Boys Volume 1. Impressions forthcoming.

How is Kurosagi? I saw it at the store once and couldn't decide if I wanted to read it or not. You're going to love 20th Century boys. I bought the first 8 volumes off ebay for a very good price, since then I've been going to Border's to read the rest of the volumes as they come out. Naoki Urasawa is a genius as usual.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »

How is Kurosagi? I saw it at the store once and couldn't decide if I wanted to read it or not. You're going to love 20th Century boys. I bought the first 8 volumes off ebay for a very good price, since then I've been going to Border's to read the rest of the volumes as they come out. Naoki Urasawa is a genius as usual.

From what I've read (all of volume 1 and half of volume 2), it's really good. The first volume is more episodic and doesn't really explore the characters' backgrounds very much, but the stories are enjoyable enough and mix humor and the darker side of things pretty well. Volume 2 kicks thing up a couple notches and becomes a lot more focused on the individual characters. Overall the pacing to these stories is a lot more even than I've found in other manga and this makes the plot twists more effective. And, from what I've read, Kurosagi only gets better as it goes along.

Also, as a warning, there are some pretty gruesome crimes they investigate. None of it's ever portrayed in a tasteless way, but that doesn't keep them from being pretty visceral on a graphic/psychological level.

EDIT: The only real complaint I have with the series is that the second volume is filled with typos that could have been fixed with a simple proofreading. While it's easy to figure out what the characters should have said, it is still a blemish on an otherwise great series. I think I've found 4 or 5 so far and I'm only halfway through the volume.

I don''t remember the first volume having this problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:19:29 AM by Vanguard » Logged

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »

EDIT: The only real complaint I have with the series is that the second volume is filled with typos that could have been fixed with a simple proofreading. While it's easy to figure out what the characters should have said, it is still a blemish on an otherwise great series. I think I've found 4 or 5 so far and I'm only halfway through the volume.

I don''t remember the first volume having this problem.

It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the mini impressions.

One pet peeve of mine is typos in finalized manga volumes. There's really no need for it. Isn't it the editors job to fix these things? I see such stupid mistakes sometimes. Spelling errors, missing words from sentences, etc. It really gets on my nerves. I'd make sure every word and sentence is perfect.

"Oh, a hunter..."
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: November 24, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »

This may be a little too late in response to those requests for good recent anime, but oh well
Bakemonogatari, Angel Beats, and something else i'm forgetting

Highschool of the Dead!
that was it
I probably forgot it because I generally dislike zombie-related stuff, but this show makes it all okay through character development
It also has some fanservice from time to time

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: