Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327550 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 264028 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:05 AM »

EDIT: The only real complaint I have with the series is that the second volume is filled with typos that could have been fixed with a simple proofreading. While it's easy to figure out what the characters should have said, it is still a blemish on an otherwise great series. I think I've found 4 or 5 so far and I'm only halfway through the volume.

I don''t remember the first volume having this problem.

It sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the mini impressions.

One pet peeve of mine is typos in finalized manga volumes. There's really no need for it. Isn't it the editors job to fix these things? I see such stupid mistakes sometimes. Spelling errors, missing words from sentences, etc. It really gets on my nerves. I'd make sure every word and sentence is perfect.

One would hope, but I'm pretty sure the editor didn't bother to read this volume. Maybe I have an older printing though, because all of the images I find online show a blue cover but mine is silver. Maybe the blue cover is the revised version.

Finished Volume 2 of the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. What a good story. At first, one of the big twists left me with mixed feelings, but after putting all of the pieces into place it made sense. Very curious to see what the next volume does.

Watched up to Episode 45 of Zeta Gundam. I'm curious to see how this series ends, as the latter half has been much more enjoyable the former.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: November 30, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »

Is V Gundam worth my time?  Did a little research; can't tell.  I know some people here love Gundam so I wouldn't mind a few opinions.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »

Finally got a round to reading the first volume of 20th Century Boys. Impressions:

I love the pacing of this story and how the narrative shifts. Uraswa is very adept at sequencing and this is probably my favorite aspect of the manga. He knows how to tell a story. It's really impressive how seamlessly he weaves together the micro and the macro details, whcih allows the reader to really develop a relationship with the characters while keeping the big picture in mind. I think I know I know where it's going, but I also have a few questions too.

The art has a nice touch and moves from being the perfect amount of detail to nice and light.

However, there were two cringe worthy moments in the manga, one fairly early and other towards the end. When Kenji is talking about his niece getting to "suck on a real tittie", it felt a bit flat, especially considering how smooth the rest of the dialogue is. This is minor, and didn't detract from the overall enjoyment of the story, but it certainly made that page/few panels suffer.

Definitely interested in continuing the series.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: December 03, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »

Is V Gundam worth my time?  Did a little research; can't tell.  I know some people here love Gundam so I wouldn't mind a few opinions.

I might as well toss in my opinion. I only watched 3 episodes, but that's as much as I could stand. I was marathoning the entire meta-series at the time, so that might explain it. It was only a few months ago, though. I'll watch some more tomorrow and see. I remember it being too overly dramatic, like there was bad stuff happening at every turn, and it was very heavyhanded with its themes, but we'll see. SRW got me somewhat interested, to say the least, so I have some motivation to watch it again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:27:28 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: December 04, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »

V Gundam as in Victory Gundam?

Loved it. Favorite Gundam series.

Victory and Zeta are usually touted as being the best two in the Gundam universe.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: December 04, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »

I haven't seen V Gundam, but if it's anything like Zeta Gundam then I can only give a mixed review. Sometimes the show is spot on, others it falls falt or is overly dramatic. Also, Zeta Gundam is fucking long. 50 episodes is a lot for a show that doesn't keep a consistent stride. I have five episodes to go before I'm done, but I can say the latter half was more enjoyable the former.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: December 04, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »

I haven't seen V Gundam, but if it's anything like Zeta Gundam then I can only give a mixed review. Sometimes the show is spot on, others it falls falt or is overly dramatic. Also, Zeta Gundam is fucking long. 50 episodes is a lot for a show that doesn't keep a consistent stride. I have five episodes to go before I'm done, but I can say the latter half was more enjoyable the former.

That sums up my opinion of Victory Gundam, but so far I think Zeta had a better overall excecution. It is getting better, though, and it hasn't plodded as much as Zeta tends to do. I think...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: December 06, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll give it a shot and see how the first dozen episodes go.  Only thing that I foresee really pissing me off is a 13 year old main character.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll give it a shot and see how the first dozen episodes go.  Only thing that I foresee really pissing me off is a 13 year old main character.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks.

The main character is disturbingly mature for his age, and a lot of what he's done so far either make sense, or would make sense if he was 30. And I think he even has a wife and kid, too, but I'll have to check up on that. "They're just friends", but that doesn't explain the kid...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:21:52 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

Finally got a round to reading the first volume of 20th Century Boys. Impressions:

I love the pacing of this story and how the narrative shifts. Uraswa is very adept at sequencing and this is probably my favorite aspect of the manga. He knows how to tell a story. It's really impressive how seamlessly he weaves together the micro and the macro details, whcih allows the reader to really develop a relationship with the characters while keeping the big picture in mind. I think I know I know where it's going, but I also have a few questions too.

I'm curious, where do you think it's going? I already know, but I just want to know what you think.

That is one thing I love about Urasawa is that he makes you care about the characters. Have you ever watched Yawara? It was one of Urasawa's early mangas that got turned into a successful anime in the 80's. It was about a female judokan.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: December 07, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »

I'm curious, where do you think it's going? I already know, but I just want to know what you think.

That is one thing I love about Urasawa is that he makes you care about the characters. Have you ever watched Yawara? It was one of Urasawa's early mangas that got turned into a successful anime in the 80's. It was about a female judokan.

These are just guesses about the characters mostly.

Well, I think that machine that the cult unveiled at the end is very much related to that brief scene where that girl wakes up to see some giant machine looming over the city. The character list in the front only lists her as "girl", otherwise I'd give a name. This scene is in the first chapter.

I'm pretty sure Spider-San, Kenji's college musician friend, is the one who says, "I think our friend is going to like this," in reference to that machine thing at the end.

The next volume is obviously going to introduce Yukiji. I wonder if her and Kenji will hook up. My guess is...maybe.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: December 13, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »

I'm 15 episodes into Victory Gundam, and this has to be the most depressing show I've ever watched. Character deaths happen so frequently that I'm no longer surprised by them anymore, in fact they don't have much effect on me at all anymore. I even had to stop watching the "On our next episode" stuff because they started giving away who dies. It's still Gundam, and it's still a compelling watch, but I probably won't watch it as fervently as I've watched nearly every other show in the series.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »

Zeta and Victory are notorious for killing off characters. I find it more realistic than shows like Gundam 00 or the SEED series, where only a few people died in the whole war (that weren't cannon fodder.)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »

Zeta and Victory are notorious for killing off characters. I find it more realistic than shows like Gundam 00 or the SEED series, where only a few people died in the whole war (that weren't cannon fodder.)

Yeah, I have no problem with it functionally, but I'd like it if they were developed more before they died off so why the viewers would have a reason to care when they do die. I recall Zeta Gundam always did that. In Victory Gundam it just seems like they're a step above cannon fodder.

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:05 AM »

Been watching Ouran High School Host Club, and yes it's goofy and over the top, but it's hilarious!  And it's got Vic Mignogna, Junpei from P3's VA, need I say more?

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: