Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332042 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 279190 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1185 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »

I've never seen an anime that made me cry before.

Ever watched Grave of the Fireflies? High odds of crying with that one.

I was about to suggest that.

Don't do what I did and watch it with your little sister, if you have one. Sooo not a good idea.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1186 on: October 09, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »

I just watched the first episode of Gundam Age... I'm still pretty speechless about it.
It's Digimon Xros Wars but with mobile suits.

Also, budget animation =/
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1187 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »

I've never seen an anime that made me cry before.

Ever watched Grave of the Fireflies? High odds of crying with that one.

Well, we'll just have to see about that.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1188 on: October 09, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »

I just watched the first episode of Gundam Age... I'm still pretty speechless about it.

Never watched Xros Wars so you're going to have to elaborate on that.

I just saw it as well, and I thought it was...well, it was derivative, but overall okay. I don't mind it being targeted at a younger audience- it can still be good. The series has potential IMO. Some general thoughts:

Code:
+The opening introduces us to the situation by showing, and not telling, which is a nice change since that's been a problem with some of the shows (Wing, SEED, ESPECIALLY ZZ which had a WHOLE EPISODE for that)
+Flit seems a lot more lifelike and likable as a person so he's more towards the Judau/Garrod end, which is a definate plus for me, at least
+Flit seems completely obsessed with his hatred of the UE. This is where I find the potential for a good story- if they do this right, this can become interesting

*The bad guys being mysterious creatures is not a bad change, people seem to have a problem with that, and I understand to a certain extent- depending on where they go with this it can still have the same general themes as previous Gundam shows, though.
*When Flit talks about how the Gundam being tested for walking is enough, I couldn't help but laugh. What, is he going to do a beam-faceplant attack into the UE suits? Jesus.

-While Flit and Emily are off to school, Flit mentions the Asunos have made Gundams for centuries...what, a piece of military equipment just totally vanished into the bowels of time? And he says he's going to make the Gundam because that's what his family has done for centuries...I...just...yeah.
-It seems Flit is well-known for talking crazily about how the UE will attack Nora and people don't believe him...I guess that's why they have such a extensive military presence there. I mean, if a really powerful force was attacking England, France, and the rest of Europe, I think I'd at least ENTERTAIN the thought of this force attacking the U.S. at some point- what's more, this kid is living in a fucking military base- why is he telling his teacher this instead of the commander he just met that morning?
-Professor says his determination is just as much as a soldier, which completely contradicts his previous line that he didn't want him to pilot it because, you know, he's a freaking kid with no piloting experience

I might write a longer review later, I've always been a big Gundam fan so I have a lot more to say about it beyond all this.

Oh yeah, the animation looks alright so far- although SEED really lowered my bar as far as that goes because of the irritating cel recycling. As long as they don't do that too often I won't mind.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:15:35 PM by Hathen » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1189 on: October 09, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

Grave of the Fireflies is soul crushing.
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1190 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »

Never watched Xros Wars so you're going to have to elaborate on that.

I just saw it as well, and I thought it was...well, it was derivative, but overall okay. I don't mind it being targeted at a younger audience- it can still be good. The series has potential IMO. Some general thoughts:

Oh yeah, the animation looks alright so far- although SEED really lowered my bar as far as that goes because of the irritating cel recycling. As long as they don't do that too often I won't mind.

Anime in general lowered the standard of animation a little over 10 years ago when it quit being cel animation.
And they started using Digital paint and computer CG more and more and more.

Watch a show like Turn A Gundam or Victory Gundam absolutely amazing animation especially for a TV series.
And there is a beauty to it in the color that you can only get from cel animation.
Even Z Gundam 26 years old now amazing animation smokes any TV series these days.
But this also thanks to the director and animation director Tomino he is really great with choreography of scenes and actually understands animation.

I can't believe people actually think today's shows are better animated they have a lot of flash but the animation is pretty meh.
And digital paint looks terrible a lot of the time.

As for Gundam Age I think a lot of people need to look at the credits.
It's a Level 5/Sunrise coop project. The character designs is Level 5.
The story is written by Akihiro Hino of Level 5.
They have the animation series and then there will be the Gundam Age videogames.

I like the idea that they don't even know who is attacking them.
They think they could be aliens but maybe there is other humans inside the machines that are attacking them.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:06:28 PM by nonoyes » Logged
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1191 on: October 11, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »

Re-watched Code Geass with a friend a few weeks back. Still love the show, and I probably enjoyed it even more the second time. It does leave you with some odd feelings though, so I decided to watch Usagi Drop when I ran into it on Crunchyroll.

All I have to say is: ohmigawd I could practically feel my heart melting as I watched it. Ended up watching all 11 episodes right in a row. Too cute. Love this series more than I can articulate, though I am glad it doesn't follow through the post-time-skip manga.

EDIT: 3 DAYS LATER: Watched My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Solid entertainment, though admittedly nothing groundbreaking. The animation was fluid and the characters interesting, though the somewhat ambiguous relationship between the leads can be off-putting. Pick one and commit, writers!

More positively, Wagnaria!! (or, Working!!) is something I stumbled upon. Plowed through the first season and what so-far-exists of the second, and I must say this show is incredibly charming! Definite follow!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:23:51 AM by Ragnarok-Sabin » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1192 on: October 16, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I'll just say that this show was amazing in every way possible (except for the comedy aspect which fell flat most of the time but did get better in the second half), because there are just too many good things about it to point out. Seriously, if you haven't watched it yet, do so right now. It's seriously some of the best stuff you'll ever see.

Getter Robo Armageddon - I loved it every bit as much as I expected to. On the one hand, the story was very confusing, yet still I actually enjoyed it the most. I don't know why, I just thought it was really really cool. I loved the characters: Ryoma's badassery, Hayato's cool demeaner, Benki's smarts, and all the rest of the characters for all their own reasons. Not one character failed to impress me on some level. I especially loved the character designs, nearly everyone looked unique. Same with the robots. The music and art in general was impressive, to be honest. And of course the action was fantastic, some of the best I'd seen since Gurren Lagann. This is definitely going on my favorites list.

I watched GaoGaiGar up to episode 26 but I had to stop because the rest wasn't dubbed and the english cast does a far better job than the Japanese cast. It's a shame because it was quickly becoming one of my favorite shows.:(

Now I gotta figure out what else to watch until November when I'll resume watching Victory Gundam.

In the meantime, I'm watching Hunter X Hunter every sunday, It's such a good show that it's difficult waiting every week for the next episode, but I have no choice than to wait and just try to keep up with it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1193 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »

Does anyone read Gamaran?  Sengoku Iori FTW!
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1194 on: October 17, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »

I just finished watching Hanasaku Iroha. I'm speechless right now; while certainly not without flaws, the entire work is just so charming, and the characters feel so real (because of those flaws), that I couldn't help but totally fall in love with it--and them. It's been a while since I've had such a hard time walking away from characters when there is some actual closure, and I can't wait for the "new visual work" next year.

Extremely impressed. If you like slice of life/coming of age stories at all, I highly suggest it. The animation is also very crisp and vibrant, and nearly the entire cast feels fully realized.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1195 on: October 17, 2011, 02:30:34 AM »

Finished watching Space Runaway Ideon, but of course I now need to watch Be Invoked because I can't just leave it at that. I need to watch all those characters die dammit.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1196 on: October 17, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »

I just finished watching Hanasaku Iroha. I'm speechless right now; while certainly not without flaws, the entire work is just so charming, and the characters feel so real (because of those flaws), that I couldn't help but totally fall in love with it--and them. It's been a while since I've had such a hard time walking away from characters when there is some actual closure, and I can't wait for the "new visual work" next year.

Extremely impressed. If you like slice of life/coming of age stories at all, I highly suggest it. The animation is also very crisp and vibrant, and nearly the entire cast feels fully realized.

I completely agree.  One of the best shows of the year.

Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1197 on: October 17, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »

I'm struggling to find something similar right now. Though I definitely don't expect the same animation quality from, well, anything, I'd really love something with the same "feel".
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1198 on: October 18, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »

I'm struggling to find something similar right now. Though I definitely don't expect the same animation quality from, well, anything, I'd really love something with the same "feel".

Slice of life animes are not uncommon, but ones of this quality are.  I wracked my brain trying to think of something similar and all I could come up with was Honey and Clover.  It's an older show, but if you haven't seen it then I would quite recommend it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1199 on: October 18, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »

Slice of life animes are not uncommon, but ones of this quality are.  I wracked my brain trying to think of something similar and all I could come up with was Honey and Clover.  It's an older show, but if you haven't seen it then I would quite recommend it.

I'm glad slice of life exists while a good portion of fandom is busy with what's "moe" right now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: