Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331350 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 276809 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: January 21, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »

I just noticed I never mentioned that I finished Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal. It was pretty great, actually. I was expecting it to be more Rurouni Kenshin, but it turned out to be quite different, but in a good way - The pacing was slower and the story was more personal. There was less action, but what action was there was awesome, albeit bloody. The characters were all very interesting, though voice-acting, bith English and Japanese could've been better. The art and music really sold it, though. I had the limited Edition Blu-Ray, so the art was all crisp and colorful, though I'll bet even without the HD it still would've looked great, since the art styles and character designs were wonderful on their own. The music was mostly traditional Japanese music, but they really set the tone just right, and made the setting feel alive.

I really should say more about the story, since it was very well-done, but I doubt I could say much without spoiling anything. It's not exactly the best story I've seen in an anime, but it's still pretty damn good. This is definitely one of the best OVA's I've watched, and that's saying something since I'm more or less a fan of OVAs, and part of what makes it so great is that you don't need to have seen the original show to understand what's going on - I hadn't seen the original in years, and I can't say I remember much of it, but I still managed to keep up. Yeah, this is one I definitely recommend to others.

Anyways, I recently finished watching .hack//SIGN and two of the OVAs.  .hack//SIGN was pretty good. The story was amazing, filled with mystery and symbolism that actually make sense (looking at you NGE), filled with interesting and deep characters. The only problem is the pacing - this is easily one of the slowest shows I've ever seen. It even makes Eureka Seven look fast. Still, unlike ES, it was never billed as an action anime, so taking it for what it is, a character-driven drama/mystery, it's a problem that's easier to forgive. Also, Tsukasa can be annoying at first, but thankfully the show focuses as much on everyone else as it does on him, so he doesn't get enough screne-time to get on your nerves until later on when he starts to get better.

As for the art and the music, they're incredible. The World is beautiful, as are the character designs. I love how past events are always shown with as staticky videos, and specifically the real world is always given a gray tone on top of that, to contrast with the beauty of the game. The music is some of the best I've heard in an anime - every track is memorable and set the tone perfectly. It's easily the best aspect of the entire show, and I'd even go as far as to suggest watching it just for the music, if nothing else.

Really, though, as much as I loved .hack//SIGN, right down to a very personal level since I can greatly relate to Tsukasa and his situation, I'd honestly have trouble recommending it to others. The show is super slow, there's hardly any action, the ending is a total cop-out, and much of the show consists of characters just talking to eachother, often going over what they already know. This obviously won't appeal to a lot of people. Still, I do suggest people at least give it a try if they haven't already, if just for the music and to see if they'll get hooked on the brilliant story.

The OVAs were just plain filler, though, and not really worth watching.

Now I just need to figure out what to watch next...do I finish Angel Beat or The Third? Or do I start up Baccano! or Trigun?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:30:23 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »

Now I just need to figure out what to watch next...do I finish Angel Beat or The Third? Or do I start up Baccano! or Trigun?

Baccano!. Definitely Baccano!.

Also, yes. .//Hack Sign is basically talking heads the anime. Granted there's a bit of action here and there but you can tell that it basically exists solely as a tie in for the first series of games. They weren't even on the mystery when they made that series leading to a largely (but not completely) irrelevant resolution.

I also want to believe that both Tsukasa and Subaru ended up as more than just friends at the end no matter how much awkwardness that might entail.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »

Finish Angel Beats if you at all enjoyed what you've seen. Very good pay off, emotionally speaking.

Between Trigun and Baccano!... Tough call. Both are amazing, but Trigun is much more traditional from a storytelling standpoint. Baccano! on the otherhand can be difficult to follow if you don't adapt well to the... uniqueness.

Speaking personally, I would likely suggest Trigun just a little bit more highly, but it's very close. Vash's attitude can also grate on you early on.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

So I'm hearing this season's Mouretsu Pirates isn't half bad.  Anyone watch it yet?  I may watch it tonight because I've heard really good things.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »

I checked it out. It's pretty good. My only worry is how long it'll take before they do any pirating. At episode 3 they seem still very far from it.

Rinne no Lagrange
My personal pick for the show with the most potential this season (then again, I like mech shows).

Nisemonogatari
Awesome... but that's kinda normal. If you liked Bakemonogatari, be sure to watch it. This is one of the few show with intelligent dialogues.

Ano Natsu de Matteru
According to the synopsis, this is a show about students who want to film a movie... BUT THEN there's a giant 'WTF that wasn't in the synopsis at all and it kind of changes the story by a whole damn lot' moment right in episode one. Needless to say, that got me interested.

Amagami SS Plus
Amagami stuff, watch if you like Amagami.

Zero no Tsukaima Final
Pretty so-so up to now. Hoping for more kickass in the future.

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai
Supposedly, this is based on a very good light novel. The problem is, the anime version seems to suffer from "I am twelve and these are my panties! KYAAA" syndrome. Story is pretty good from what's been shown... but I am so afraid that this show might fall into loli fanservice.

High School DxD
Supposedly also from a light novel. This show is about demon high school students. Tits were shown in episode one and I'm sure plenty more will be seen in the future. Watch it if you like harem, tits and lolis

Inu X Boku Secret Service
I kinda liked this one. It's a light comedy. Not the funniest thing ever, but it's a relaxing show.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:33:13 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:38 AM »

I watched Shinkai's latest, the fancifully titled: "Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below". x_X
I'm sure there was a better title somewhere, but that's certainly not the Japanese style.

Anyways.  To easily sum it up, I like Shinkai, he's an extreme visionary and one of few to look forward to since Satoshi Kon's early demise.  This is his first full-length feature film, and it kinda shows, some parts move quick, some drag on too much.  The major theme is of life and death and does so in a meaningful way.  For Miyazaki fans, this film is a love-letter to him, many elements feel like they came from Ghibli themselves.  A great departure for the director, and an interesting shot at something different.

Didn't care much for the ending, but everything else was quite nice. :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »

can you all recommend and anime for a newbie? I grew up w/ shit like robotech, fist of the northstar, records of the lodoss war (some of it)....
I don't like the "dragonball" type shit. Persona-style has always intrigued the fuck out of me but I don't want to watch an anime of that until I actually finish one of them.

It'd help if you recommend one available on hulu or netflix
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:05 AM »

This is his first full-length feature film

Er, then what does that make The Place Promised in Our Early Days?

I would 5 Centimeters Per Second as 'full-length' too, though that's more debatable.  It's on the short side, yeah, but it's not like that term has a clear definition..

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »

This is his first full-length feature film

Er, then what does that make The Place Promised in Our Early Days?

I would 5 Centimeters Per Second as 'full-length' too, though that's more debatable.  It's on the short side, yeah, but it's not like that term has a clear definition..

I was more on the fact it's the full two-hours, not the 1.5 hours.  I did forgot TPPiOED was that long though *shrug*.  Time musta "flown" by. :D  (ba dum tss).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

can you all recommend and anime for a newbie? I grew up w/ shit like robotech, fist of the northstar, records of the lodoss war (some of it)....
I don't like the "dragonball" type shit. Persona-style has always intrigued the fuck out of me but I don't want to watch an anime of that until I actually finish one of them.

try Darker than Black.  it's got a decent amount of action but it's more mature, not just a bunch of spikey haired people doing powerups and ninja jutsus.  it feels very "not anime" as far as anime go.  I think sci fi fans could enjoy it even if they don't normally watch anime
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:36:22 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

try Darker than Black.  it's got a decent amount of action but it's more mature, not just a bunch of spikey haired people doing powerups and ninja jutsus.  it feels very "not anime" as far as anime go.  I think sci fi fans could enjoy it even if they don't normally watch anime

Also fairly confusing, just in case that's not your thing. Part of what some people consider confusing is that it doesn't hold your hand and makes you think about things for yourself (good!), but some things are just... confusing.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

Samurai X Trust and Betrayal (aka Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen) is my go to show for an instance like this.  Probably slightly less interesting to a newcomer to the series because you don't know who Kenshin is, but it's not really vital information because Trust and Betrayal is a prequel. Knowing the information beforehand just enhances it.

I'm close to shelling out $65 bucks for the blu-ray version because I like it that much, but your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:41:57 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »

I recommend "Berserk!" (Fantasy, mature), "Outlaw Star"(sci fi, not so mature, great soundtrack, entertaining), "El Hazard" (sci-fantasy, not so mature, very entertaining),"Serial Experiment Lain" (sci-fii, no real action, psychological, mature in a non-blood-and guts way, highly recommended), "Escaflowne" (fantasy with some sci elements, great action and story, nothing too mind boggling or hard to follow) "Baccano!" (for something newer and very unique, lets just call this one a mix action and good story telling set in the early 1900's) "3x3 Eyes"(fantasy supernatural, mature) "Death Note" (sort of psychological, sort of supernatural, decent production value, well regarded... personally I loved it) "Mushishi" (great episodic supernatural and slightly psychological, no action)

I think if you look into the aforementioned you'll find something to tickle your fancy and shoot you off in some direction...

NOTE: None of those suggestion include ANY Dragon Ball type stuff.... Most of it is of the 90's era, close to, or remniscent of (except for Baccano and Death Note).... Oh, and none of those suggestion include any of your Samurai, Martial Arts type stuff (I usually don't dig those too much myself), but if you do I totally second the Samurai X suggestion given by Akanbe (just make sure you go for Trust and Betrayal as alot of the Sam X stuff is very different...)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: January 24, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »

I second all of Klyde's recommendations, and most of them should be on Hulu and Netflix, though I'm not sure how much is Streamed on Netflix.

Finish Angel Beats if you at all enjoyed what you've seen. Very good pay off, emotionally speaking.

Between Trigun and Baccano!... Tough call. Both are amazing, but Trigun is much more traditional from a storytelling standpoint. Baccano! on the otherhand can be difficult to follow if you don't adapt well to the... uniqueness.

Speaking personally, I would likely suggest Trigun just a little bit more highly, but it's very close. Vash's attitude can also grate on you early on.

Thanks. I'll probably go for Angel Beats as my 99th Complete, then I'll watch Victory Gundam. As for Baccano, I'll try it once I've finished those other two, but I have a strong feeling it may not be my cup of tea. I'll go for Trigun after that. I already have Trigun coming in the mail.

Until then, I just got 3 more episodes of Hunter X Hunter until I'm caught up, and then I gotta get caught up in Gundam AGE.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: January 26, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »

Just started watching Guilty Crown and I must say..... seems impressive to me.... I need to give it more time/episodes to really make a call but it starts off swell enough :) Totally hopeful for this and "Another" right now..... I hope they don't end up sucking to me like Chaos:Head did..... That is I loved Chaos: Head at the start and then something grotesque happened to the integrity of that plot somewhere along the line for me....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: