Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331556 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 277398 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »

Yup, I can remember paying $30 for a DVD with three episodes on it...seems crazy now but that's what anime used to cost.  If you shopped online on sketchy discount DVD sites you could maybe get that down to $20.  It was friggin expensive.

And box sets were hardly a deal.  Heck, I remember when the first Cowboy Bebop box set came out it cost more than buying the DVDs individually.  Guess they thought the box was worth something...

The thing is, that sort of pricing still exists in Japan.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: January 29, 2012, 02:16:05 PM »

That is how much anime used to cost before slim sets. Boxsets before slim sets became the norm were commonly 200 bucks, sometimes you got lucky, and some series were 100-150.  The VHS era was even worse. Anime is A much cheaper hobby now then it used to be.

I distinctly remember riding my bike to the post office so I could send a money order for 2 episodes on VHS for $30+shipping.  What a rip.  Glad it's much cheaper these days.
collecting Ranma 1/2 on VHS was a nightmare *shudders*
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »

Just started watching Guilty Crown and I must say..... seems impressive to me.... I need to give it more time/episodes to really make a call but it starts off swell enough :) Totally hopeful for this and "Another" right now..... I hope they don't end up sucking to me like Chaos:Head did..... That is I loved Chaos: Head at the start and then something grotesque happened to the integrity of that plot somewhere along the line for me....

I enjoy Guilty Crown,its cliched but its fun to watch if you don't take it too seriously.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »

After watching the first 2 or 3 episodes of Gundam AGE, I had shelved it for multiple reasons (Nothing to do with the show itself), but I got caught up all the way to episode 16 which just came out.

So far, the show is...okay. I think I see where the show is going, but so far the show's been pretty bland and shallow. Also disappointed with the episode-15 reveal, though it's probably because I've seen it before in

Code:
Nadesico

and I think that show did it a lot better.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

Also disappointed with the episode-15 reveal

I dropped Gundam AGE so I haven't seen episode 15... yet I know exactly what you mean by reveal. I mean, it's been obvious since episode 1 =/
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: January 30, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »

There's very few plot twists that ever surprise me these days anymore, assuming they're plot twist the viewer has a fair shake at figuring out (Too many stories have their "plot twists" actually be ass-pulls that were never mentioned before or were introduced ahead of time specifically to deus ex machina a character out of a situation).

Thing is, the show does have a certain charm because of Level-5's involvement. There's a real light-hearted feel to the show without getting to the point of being obnoxious, which is something new to a main-series Gundam. With the whole multi-generational thing I do see some potential, though personally I can think of a more effective way of presenting it (Having parallel events in each generation happening on-screen at the same time). I think they decided against doing that because it not only requires far more planning, but would be confusing to the show's target audience.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

There's very few plot twists that ever surprise me these days anymore, assuming they're plot twist the viewer has a fair shake at figuring out (Too many stories have their "plot twists" actually be ass-pulls that were never mentioned before or were introduced ahead of time specifically to deus ex machina a character out of a situation).

Thing is, the show does have a certain charm because of Level-5's involvement. There's a real light-hearted feel to the show without getting to the point of being obnoxious, which is something new to a main-series Gundam. With the whole multi-generational thing I do see some potential, though personally I can think of a more effective way of presenting it (Having parallel events in each generation happening on-screen at the same time). I think they decided against doing that because it not only requires far more planning, but would be confusing to the show's target audience.

O_O That's a fantastic idea Hathen.That would have worked better in my opinion.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: February 04, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

So I mentioned I started really enjoying Guilty Crown about a week or so ago..... I'm gonna set that statement in stone and say "I am without a doubt a fan".... Its not so much that anything about it is particularly original.... but more so that everything about it IS particularly well done.... and I'm sucker for cool characters and "Gai" is about as cool as they come :)

Additionally (I can't just watch one series at a time...) I watched the first 25 episodes of "The Twelve Kingdoms" and hesitate when I say its the best thing in anime that passed me by in a long time... I abso-freakin'-lutely love it..... I can definately see where it isn't for everone but man... if you like the 90's esque fantasy-fair type stuff this is a must see.

Far less rewarding a watch this week has been "Wild Arms Twilight Venom".... I'm sticking with it in hopes that it improves but the lack of continuity episode to episode coupled with the terribly bland humor and forgettable characters equals.... well..... nothing to really care about.... what is with these "anime based on games" that so often makes em suck?.....  Next on the list to check out is the "Trails in the Sky" inspired series after I muddle through this one......

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: February 04, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »

Additionally (I can't just watch one series at a time...) I watched the first 25 episodes of "The Twelve Kingdoms" and hesitate when I say its the best thing in anime that passed me by in a long time... I abso-freakin'-lutely love it..... I can definately see where it isn't for everone but man... if you like the 90's esque fantasy-fair type stuff this is a must see.

Oh man, The Twelve Kingdoms.  I love that show.  Definitely stick with it.  It's divided into four main story arcs (though the fourth is so short it hardly counts) and they are not all equal...for me it kind of went like this:

Arc 1:  Meh, OK at best.  Seems like generic fantasy stuff.  Some irritating characters.
Arc 2:  Tons of background material for the universe, etc.  Lot's of talking.  I happen to like that sort of stuff, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Arc 3:  HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING

Needless to say, Arc 3 is why I love this show.  It's so good I can forgive pretty much anything up to that point...the finale might be my favorite moment in any anime ever.  Unfortunately because of the slow beginning I think a lot of people give up on the show before they get there.

At 25 eps in I believe you're just starting to get to the good stuff.  Have fun.  This is one of those shows where I wish I could wipe my memory or something so I could experience it fresh a second time...

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Arc 2:  Tons of background material for the universe, etc.  Lot's of talking.  I happen to like that sort of stuff, but it's definitely not for everyone.

With all the crazy verb-age in this series I actually really enjoyed the condensed summary and recap of everything with all the world history thrown in the mix.... real interesting how they did it while depicting the history of another nations ruler to set up the plot for more too.... actually I found it super-clever and really essential to grasping the well thought out world.

Western Fantasy would do well to follow suit instead of always dropping you in the middle of a world with a history as vast and expansive as the freakin' pacific without ever really explaining a damn thing.... This was why I loved the Lord of the Rings so much more as books and not so much as movies... detailed histories need... well.... things to be detailed for them to be believable.... otherwise its just elf-jargin to me-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1315 on: February 17, 2012, 03:34:35 AM »

Guilty Crown continues to do nothing particularly new, but still be enjoyable as all hell. Funny how that works.

This latest episode seems like it was setting the stage for the end game, but I honestly have no idea where the fuck they're going to go from there!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: February 17, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »

Still watching The World Only God Knows season 2.  I rarely laugh at anime jokes, but some of the gags with the PSP in the 3rd episode of s2 were actually kind of funny (despite similar ones in season 1). 

Totally been meaning to catch up on Guilty Crown and some other shows, but I always end up too tired and just watch WOGKs2 instead.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:10:13 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »

The last episode of TWGOKs2 seriously rocks.
One of the best done cameo I've seen.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »

Got a ton on my plate right now.

Soul Eater

Dragon ball z kai on blu-ray

D.Gray Man

Still following ongoing Persona 4 and Guilty Crown

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: February 18, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

The earlier discussion about anime prices reminds me...the good old days are back!

$75 for 4 episodes!  And that's Rightstuf's price...MSRP is $95.

OK, so there is a lot of extra crap in there.  But most it it really is crap.  The soundtrack is cool and the 'short manga' might be interesting (though how short is it...) but that still doesn't justify the price.

Ah well, I'll wait and get the box set.

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: