Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #1320 on: February 18, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Got a ton on my plate right now.

Soul Eater

Watched the whole thing in less than three days. It was for a review. I enjoyed it but I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I had watched it at my own pace. Ending was kind of disappointing.

Code: [Select]
One punch filled with friendship and courage? Seriously? What's this, a Carebears episode?
But some of the music is really addicting. Listening to Bakusō Yume Uta right now.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 18, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »

Watched the whole thing in less than three days. It was for a review. I enjoyed it but I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more if I had watched it at my own pace. Ending was kind of disappointing.

The ending isn't set in stone much like D.GrayMan or Claymore since the mangas continued the stories properly.The anime got chopped.

As for Soul Eater,I'm enjoying 5 episodes every week.I enjoy long anime a lot more when I give them room to breathe.Wish I had done the same for Dance in the Vampire bund.Loved the show but since it was only 12 episodes I finished it too quickly.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 18, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
The ending isn't set in stone much like D.GrayMan or Claymore since the mangas continued the stories properly.The anime got chopped.

Thanks for reminding me about Claymore's anime ending. That shit both sucks and was unnecessary considering how much further the manga was from that point when they excreted that out. Hell the manga was further along in the States then where they ended the show. All they needed to do was leave it at that last battle then let it either serve as motivation for a new series later or simply drive interest back into the manga. Now they're screwed either way since they either have to retcon those last three episodes or start again if they want to pick it back up.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 18, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
Soul Eater's great, especially the music, but it is a show that's better watched slowly. I've been watching it 3 episodes every other day, which is slow for me. Gives me more time to digest it, you know?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:40 AM »

It's not as if it was chopped off somewhere in the middle. There's actually a proper final enemy and all that. It's the way that fight ended that kinda ruined it for me. Up until then it seemed like the series was above using the
Code: [Select]
friendship is magic deus ex machina

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #1325 on: February 19, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

As for Soul Eater,I'm enjoying 5 episodes every week.I enjoy long anime a lot more when I give them room to breathe.Wish I had done the same for Dance in the Vampire bund.Loved the show but since it was only 12 episodes I finished it too quickly.

Yeah, I bought Soul Eater on DVD and enjoyed it.  It's a good show, but the ending is really weak. There were a lot of spots where the translations felt really off too, but whatev.  Nonetheless, the series was enjoyable.  I'm curious how the manga continues after the ending considering how the series was and how it ended, but I'm sure they wrote some weird way to do it.

The earlier discussion about anime prices reminds me...the good old days are back!

$75 for 4 episodes!  And that's Rightstuf's price...MSRP is $95.

OK, so there is a lot of extra crap in there.  But most it it really is crap.  The soundtrack is cool and the 'short manga' might be interesting (though how short is it...) but that still doesn't justify the price.

Ah well, I'll wait and get the box set.

No clue how they expect to make money off that. Even the regular edition is $30 for 4 episodes (DVD) or $40 for 4 episodes (blu-ray) which is expensive for what other series sell at.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:48:58 PM by Akanbe- »

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 19, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
The earlier discussion about anime prices reminds me...the good old days are back!

OK, so there is a lot of extra crap in there.  But most it it really is crap.  The soundtrack is cool and the 'short manga' might be interesting (though how short is it...) but that still doesn't justify the price.

No clue how they expect to make money off that. Even the regular edition is $30 for 4 episodes (DVD) or $40 for 4 episodes (blu-ray) which is expensive for what other series sell at.

I don't know, there are a lot of crazy Madoka fans...

I mean, it is a good show, but that's still a bit much.  Especially since it's available for free (legally) on Hulu and CR now.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
The problem with Souleater is the anime caught up with manga, and like Claymore it ended with a crappy gecko ending. The last full  arc is crap. If you haven't  read the manga I guess its fine, but its a huge disservice to the manga. There is no redeeming that last fight though.

Fate Zero is getting the same treatment.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
There's this thread in the Katawa Shoujo forums (you know, that VN with the disabled girls and what not) and one guy asked if people has started to watch anime more or less in the same style.

So, someone mentions Clannad and I start reading the entire story of it in Wikipedia and later saw two scenes of the series on YouTube, and... goddamn this is sad. I didn't thought that it was that kind of story.

Thought, I notice around the years that School Days was a big thing in the Internet that there started to appear a lot of series with some seriously sad or fucked up stories. Or maybe I had the epiphany that every anime ever made is like that (for the most part).

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
There's this thread in the Katawa Shoujo forums (you know, that VN with the disabled girls and what not) and one guy asked if people has started to watch anime more or less in the same style.

So, someone mentions Clannad and I start reading the entire story of it in Wikipedia and later saw two scenes of the series on YouTube, and... goddamn this is sad. I didn't thought that it was that kind of story.

Thought, I notice around the years that School Days was a big thing in the Internet that there started to appear a lot of series with some seriously sad or fucked up stories. Or maybe I had the epiphany that every anime ever made is like that (for the most part).

Clannad is heartwrenching. but good. School Days is just fucked.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
Finally got around to watching the live action Gantz flick... Talk about deviating from the manga a little bit.... enjoyable none-the-less though... I never really watch live action adaptations so I didnt know what to expect, but I really love the way this reminded me more a late 80's horror or sci-fi flick (in regard to special effects and visuals) than a modern-day cgi-fest. I enjoyed it enough to look forward to seeing the 2nd, I can say that much...

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1331 on: February 23, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »
I really love the way this reminded me more a late 80's horror or sci-fi flick (in regard to special effects and visuals) than a modern-day cgi-fest.

... unless you're into that, that could be a bad thing.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »
I really love the way this reminded me more a late 80's horror or sci-fi flick (in regard to special effects and visuals) than a modern-day cgi-fest.

... unless you're into that, that could be a bad thing.

Indeed it is a subjective matter..... I personally (as stated) enjoy pop culture from the 80's and 90's a great deal more then that which came before or after... Not that I don't enjoy ANYTHING outside that realm.... love british invasion music, I do-LoL... but generally speaking.....

In any event, today I started watching Spice and Wolf (to early to make a call) and Puella Magi Madoka Magica (also too early to make a call)... But both seemed promising.... I'm at the end of "The 12 Kingdoms" and feel like this has enterred the realm of "must see" on my personal list of fantasy anime... Made my way to episode 17 of Guilty Crown and while I know the general opinion expressed is that things went downhill post episode 12, which I agree they did, the momentum has picked back up and this series is still a total winner in my book! Really looking forward to the conclusion of this one..I also trudged through almost all of "Wild Arms: Twilight Venom" and man, total dud in my oppinion....

Lastly I marathoned "Air" this week.... holy hell was that a tear jerker.... I usually don't watch this genre/type of stuff but I really liked Kanon and thought I'd give it a shot.... take about emotional....
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
Started to see anime again recently and the first one I choose to begin this mess is "Un-Go", which some of the people behind of the original adaptation of FullMetal Alchemist worked on this new thing.

Interesting series so far even if it's not all that exciting.

Edit: Finished watching Un-Go last night. I didn't really understood was the series was about and they were around 2 or 3 episodes of 11 that were good, and by the time you think this series could not get weird because it hasn't show you too much weird stuff a Cyber Gothic Lolita that navigates the Internet from inside appears.

She also is the best character.

Dunno if Un-Go is bad or a good series. Is certainly entertaining and it has some nice moments but is nothing that I can't imagine someone going crazy over it.

Also I had a nightmare last night and some scenes from this series come out in my dream. That was fun. ;_;
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:49:29 PM by Yggdrasil »

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 03, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
Just started season two of Code Geass and so far the twists and turns have absolutely kept me riveted to say the least. The Little Lady and I watched Princess Mononoke night before last, I enjoyed it but thought it a tad drawn out, she loved it!
Everything's Eventual