Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:19:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329787 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 196 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 271987 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 03:02:50 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Y'know what they say about great disturbances in the force, Dizzy?

Yeah. One's happening. Right Now.

Hey, the fact that it didn't turn into a stupid ass H-Anime made it that much more enjoyable. :P

I really did like the story, the characters, the music, and the struggle that the characters had to go through. I'm serious. I'm a sucker for sappy drama in general. :P

EDIT: I just thought that I'd add that I watched it through another FOUR TIMES.

...Yup. <3

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »

Just finished reading RuroKen Vol. 24. I was impressed Watsuki was bold enough to show such a gruesome scene involving what appeared to be a main character. But as much as I enjoy happy endings, I do find myself thinking that Watsuki perhaps should have continued with what he started, making Kenshin a true genre bender. I'm not saying he absolutely should have, but perhaps.

Now onward to Naruto Vol. 9.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 09:11:26 PM »

Started re-watching the Sailor Stars arc of Sailor Moon. I swear to God... I just want to shoot Seiya. The whole Star Gentle Uterus attack mad me rolling on the floor. Pure. Dripping. Cheese.

Of course, all this has served is to remind me that I wanted Sailor Moon to end with R.

Ail and Ann for the win.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 10:40:26 AM »

Finished with Midori no Hibi yesterday. The ending made me cry like a little girl. Yes, I'm a wuss.

Think I'll watch Now and Then, Here and There next. Need something (purportedly) depressing to counterbalance all the sugary sweetness of Midori.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 05:10:25 PM »

I got Uzumaki 1, and I just started, it's nice.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »

Took another trip to the store. I'm faithful to Kino.

Fruits Basket Vol.3 & Vol.4
I'm really enjoying this series. Sometimes it feels like the events are going by so quickly but drawing towards the end, you just want to read more. Hidoshi, I've never watched the anime, so I'm not sure if my opinion is that valuable. :P
Tohru finally meets with Akito. Hints of the Sohma Family's darker side are begining to grow more frequent. Yuki's fear and dislike for Akito is more evident than ever. Most of the Sohma family members (Akito is an exception) show affection for Tohru...and I'm begining to like her naive and humble disposition. No longer sickeningly sweet, just a little funny. I want to read more. Oh, that German-Japanese kid is adorable.

The Wallflower Vol.1 --- Vol.3
I'm too lazy to write about this. Basically, a group of four gorgeous guys are given the opportunity to board at a nice house for free if they can turn the almost always absent land lady's daughter into a true, pretty lady. The daughter is a creepy, horror-flick lover, self-pitying girl who denies all sense of her natural beauty, thinking that her to be beautiful would be going against nature or something like that. A funny series, pretty nice to read if you ask me. The characters are sometimes difficult to tell apart because two of them resemble one another. Sort of thing that's delightfully surprising and occasionally predictable.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »

Recently purchased the first volume of Hare + Guu from Amazon and am waiting for it to arrive. Will give my impressions as soon as I watch it.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »

Just finished watching Genshiken. Damn, I love this series and hope that the rumor of a second season is true.

For those who aren't familiar with Genshiken, it follows the every-day life of a group of self-proclaimed otaku. We see them buying doujin, assembling plastic models and discussing the finer details of anime production. What's so great about it is that the subject is handled with love and care - instead of the usual "creepy and socially inept" stereotypes the characters all feel like real, complex humans with an unusually deep special interest. I guess one of the reasons I like it so is that I in some way can relate to the characters, even if I'm (thankfully) not quite as much of a geek.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 08:09:58 PM »

I bought the Kino's Journey thinpak because I've heard that it's really good and I'll probably watch the whole series tomorrow.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 12:32:31 AM »

I've started watching Paradise Kiss. Before I get into this: I have not read the manga. I am not going to read the manga just yet, so if you're going to go and recommend that I do for whatever reason, save it until I'm more enthused.

That notwithstanding, let me begin. Paradise Kiss is very artsy. I'ts got elements of art nouveau and the fashion of turn-of-the-century Paris, circa 1900. However, it is in fact set in 21st century Japan, dealing largely with a group of fashion students. One of them, Arashi, finds the 'perfect model', a girl named Yukari. She is at first completely uninterested, but eventually comes to understand how important she could be to Arashi and his group. As fashion designers, they're hoping to break into the big time, and for them the designs are a labour of love. Yukari, whom them call "Caroline" as she initially refuses to give them her name, has all the right features they want in a model.

Boring right? It would be, but it's largely a character-driven story (at least so far). All the characters are likeable. I personally love Miwako (the sugar-lolita), and Arashi (the wannabe punk). The show oozes artsiness, and it's well employed for the most part. It is utterly pretentious, but finds a balance with how amusing and diverse some of the characters are. There's a lot of archetyping, but the modifications upon them are interesting.

All in all, a fine find. I love the comedy bits too. While this is largely a drama, the comedic elements fit in just at the right moments, and transitions from serious to lighthearted kept a smile on my face. Recommended.
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 01:15:22 AM »

I was going to post my thoughts on Paradise Kiss as well, but you know what? Fuck it.

Insert everything Hidoshi said here. (Though if someone recommends the manga, I'll probably look it up.)

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 06:45:02 AM »

Since I have insomnia...

Watched more of REC (episodes 4 and 5 tonight).

REC's quickly turning me into a fan. I'm still having a little trouble establishing a true link to the characters, but I think that's only due to two factors. One is the length of the episodes: At approximately 12 minutes, they're a bit on the short side. Two, I haven't spent that much time with the characters (5 episodes isn't a lot), so I think they need a little more room to grow on me.

I am however, impressed at how much Aka and Matsumaru feel like real people, and not just idealised rom/com characters. Love Hina this aint. Matsumaru is... Well, not the ideal guy. He's not a wimp like a Keitaro or a Tenchi when it comes to women (as various activities with Aka have so far proven), but he's also a bit of a creep. Not in the bad way mind you. But he's got a very flawed personality, with features outside the regular formula. He works thanklessly (it's a salaryman's life, what do you expect?), he dislikes his boss a great deal for various reason (one of which is how often said boss hits on Aka after meeting her), and he's lonely. Very, very lonely. When Aka comes into his life, it's like he doesn't quite know what to do. She's the first accessible female, the first girl who hasn't stood him up on a date or treated him like crap, and really the only company he's had in a long time.

So he's a wee bit lecherous. And he's an idiot. And a creep. But he's not a bad person. Matsumaru is in fact closer to a 'real' person than 99% of other anime characters. It's sort of scary when you realise it too. He's that guy that we men often feel like: Kicked around, under-appreciated, overworked, and damn we'd really just like some female company now and again. Not that we'd know how to behave if they were around.

I obviously relate to Matsumaru on a few levels. Aka, not so much, but she's still a very endearing character. I'd actually like to hear a young woman's take on Aka, to see if there's anything 'real' going on there like with Matsumaru.

REC comes highly recommended. In fact, it gets the Gold Star of Win.

Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »

Viewed the 2nd and 3rd episodes of Paradise Kiss. Not much to say that can't already be said about the first episode. The main thing that stands out is that the "girliness" of the show increases. Thankfully, the drama is still somewhat interesting concerning the character interactions. The artsiness is still there as well. Mostly good, but it's not quite as engaging as the first episode.

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 05:07:07 PM »

Paradise Kiss episode 2

It's a bit less hectic than the first episode, and I'm glad. I'm getting a better feel for the characters, especially Yukari/Caroline (I haven't quite decided which name I prefer). Miwako stands as my favourite character, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the cast overall before this is finished. George is still fairly distant, but he's supposed to be. I like him, he's more subtle in his development.

This episode cuts down on a few of the comedy transitions, which I think makes for a smoother product overall. If anything, what'll keep me here are the characters and the gorgeous designs.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »

I've been watching Earth Girl Arjuna lately.  I've only watched the first 4 episodes, but so far it's pretty good.  

Ceres is coming out with a 2 separate set boxset that i very well might pick up too.  I'm looking forward to that.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 196 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: