Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:51:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334642 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 286605 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1395 on: April 06, 2012, 11:46:52 PM »

Just watched the first episode of the newest Lupin III series. Loved it.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1396 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:26 PM »

Finally got to New Generation in Robotech. My favourite.

I never thought I'd hear those words.

Anyways, I recently finished watching Gurren Lagann again, and it's still just as fun the second time around. This time I saw it with my brother, who loved it too.

Speaking of my bro, he just finished watching School Days with no prior knowledge of the ending. His reaction was absolutely priceless. XD

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1397 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »

Watched A Wind Named Amnesia last night and I know some love it...maybe I just didn't get it. I liked the first half a lot, then I was kinda bored to say the least. On the other hand Future Boy Conan is enthralling to say the least!

Everything's Eventual
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1398 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:06 AM »

Eh, I'd buy some people like that one best, it followed the MOSPEADA story pretty closely, and that was a pretty good show.

What would REALLY surprise me is if someone really liked The Masters.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1399 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »

I gave up on Moretsu Pirates pretty quickly.  The animation was pretty, but I was really bored for most of it.

Been flipping around between Natsume Yujin-cho Shi and Eureka Seven, but haven't watched very far in either.  I really hate starting new shows.  I just want to find something and enjoy it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »

Gundam AGE Episode 26.

Pretty much only watching because it has really pretty animation. Dat Gundam budget on display everywhere.

Code:
The handling of Woolf's death is pretty good, but the way he died was full retard:

1.blow up two grunts holding your guy
2.dive in to help him
3.allow back to face giant smoke cloud behind you with an known enemy inside
4.waste time talking to Asem instead of being alert for enemy that is now at large

At least it continues the theme of Asem being a completely irrational dumbass though

Also kinda disappointed there was only one really short duel between Flit and Desil 2 episodes back. This time he gets taken out because of main character anger powers. Bleh.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »

Really? Why not?

It's funny, it reminds me a lot of Deep Space Nine in some ways with the infighting and being kind of ignored in the overall saga of Robotech.

It's always been my favourite.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: April 14, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »

Just because it was ignored, I figured no one liked it (for the record, I figured no one liked Deep Space Nine, either, especially since the only time I did hear about it was when people made jokes about it). I personally hated it almost as much as the second Saga, but I can't remember why, haven't seen it since I was little. Robotech ended with the Macross Saga in my eyes. Speaking of which, I bought the complete Macross Saga in Wal-mart of all places for 10 bucks. It's still as good as I remember, which is saying a LOT. =)

Now I'm watching GaoGaiGar, with Gaiking on the side. GaoGaiGar continues to impress at every turn, and now they're in space, so it's bound to get even more epic. They just introduced a Space Battleship-class Transformer, for instance. I'm looking forward to watching more. The only downide of this show is that there's been so much to take in the past couple of episodes that I can only watch two episodes at a time.

Gaiking really impressed me when I first started watching it, but that was before I saw a lot of really good Super Robot shows. Now it's kinda boring in comparison, at least the action scenes have so far. It still does a lot of nice things, like having a more fleshed-out world and characters than you usually see in these kinds of shows. These last couple of episodes have put a lot of focus on the side characters, for instance, giving them a chance to shine. You don't see that too often. The badguys also seem generally respectable without being overly likable, such as the Knights who pilot the Giants. The fight scenes in these episodes have been really boring, though. I hope they get better soon. The ones in the first 6 eps I remember being pretty good, but then again, the main character has been established as being vulnerable, and still in a learning period, so that kinda takes away some of the impact. I accidently caught some of a later episode and saw that it gets better, so I guess I should press on.

EDIT: they just killed off the only bad guy in Gaiking that I didn't really like. There's hope for this show yet! Oh, and I finally got the card guessing game at the end of the show wrong, after an 8 episode winning streak.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »

AGE 27. T'was okay.

Also watching Turn A Gundam since I'm in need in something a bit more character-based.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »

I miss Turn A Gundam, but I kinda watched too recently to see it again, and those ugly Mecha designs prevent me from bothering to use them in Super Robot Wars.

Anyways, Gaiking is becoming quite interesting now. They dropped a few bombs in the last 3 episodes (I'm halfway through now). Meanwhile, GaoGaiGar is still incredible, but there have been so many 2-episode arcs that I'm worried they're gonna have to kill off half of the 31 Primevals in the second to last episode. I really hope they just increase the number of enemies they fight at once soon instead.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: April 18, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »

I'm a basketball fanatic, and Slam Dunk is my favorite manga of all time.  With that said, I'm diving into the anime adaptation of Kuroko's Basketball, and I'm finally catching up to the manga after not touching it for a month or two.  Adaption is... pretty faithful, but I wish that there were more production values / kinetics to the basketball scenes.  A little too static; that was my biggest issue with the Slam Dunk anime as well. 

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: April 19, 2012, 04:33:21 AM »

those ugly Mecha designs prevent me from bothering to use them in Super Robot Wars

I remember when I was a kid, my parents went out to a store and bought 3 models- 2 were Evas (Unit 1 and 5), and the last one was some odd-looking model which I though was ugly as hell. My 2 brothers and I each picked one, I ended up getting Unit 5. To this day though, only the last one, the 1/144 Turn A still stands on a shelf back home, mostly intact.

At first I really hated the designs in Turn A, but they make a lot more sense the more you watch it- always making mechs in the same bipedal humanoid shape in roughly the same size is actually the one's that a bit odd, heh. I grew to appreciate a lot of the designs a lot more from a designer's perspective, because it seems like they were willing to work outside the box a lot more...Though incidentally, the designer Syd Mead is American- he's designed things in little things like Blade Runner and Tron.

The more you know.

6 episodes into Turn A, and I feel like it's had way more intrigue and story than AGE has had in 27 episodes. You're handed a high-tension situation with the military of both sides wanting to kill each other with the leaders trying to work out a peace, even though they don't really have much liking for each other, with the whole mystery of the Black History as a backdrop...I really think Tomino's great at setting up a situation, it's just that he's terrible at writing dialogue- here's the Tomino style of stating-the-obvious combat dialogue:

*enemy punches hero*
Hero: "He has performed a 'punching' maneuver, very well then...!"
*counterattack*
Enemy: "Goddamn SHIROI-YATSU it's all because of your suit's superior abilities and not your abilities as a pilot!"

*guy gets hit*
Hero: "Oh no, -insert name here- was just hit! Who am I talking to oh god why am I so horribly written"

Would be nice if he let other people touch up his work once in a while. I swear Tomino's like a really passive-aggressive Asian Harlan Ellison or something.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: April 19, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »

Turn A is one of the few Gundam shows I've seen that I actually liked.  Note: I'm not exactly a Gundam fan.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

Even though I'd consider myself a pretty big Gundam fan (was big on the models ever since I was a kid), funny thing is that I have a real love-hate relationship with the actual shows of the franchise. I think there's only 3 shows I'd recommend to a non-fan (War in the Pocket, Turn A, Zeta, in that order). It's pretty much exactly what Trekkies are like towards Star Trek. =P

Of course, I'm a Trek fan too, so I are the nerdiest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: April 19, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »

I suppose I really should see War in the Pocket one of these days.  I've heard good things but somehow never got around to it...

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: