Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:44:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 286808 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1410 on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

Do it. It's only 6 episodes (but doesn't feel rushed), and has a story that's different from what you usually see in Gundam.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1411 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20:41 AM »

Watched Cowboy Bebop "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" again, this time Sunday night on the Sci Fi Channel. Pleasant surprise to come home to after a weekend away. Seems fresh after not seeing it for a while
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »

Watched Cowboy Bebop "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" again, this time Sunday night on the Sci Fi Channel. Pleasant surprise to come home to after a weekend away. Seems fresh after not seeing it for a while

Wait. Syfy's doing the whole anime thing again? WTF!?!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1413 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:41 PM »

Wait. Syfy's doing the whole anime thing again? WTF!?!

I think I'm the only person in this world who shrugs the series off with an "it's ok".  I'm supposed to like it though... but for some reason, it didn't click.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: April 21, 2012, 03:03:45 AM »

I think Cowboy Bebop's really one of those shows that's been hyped up so much that when you finally decide to watch it, it'll be impossible to live up to those expectations.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »

I think Cowboy Bebop's really one of those shows that's been hyped up so much that when you finally decide to watch it, it'll be impossible to live up to those expectations.

I guess so. Luckily I saw it before the hype. Still not one of my top 10, but a really great show nonetheless.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »

I have always watched anime via a "research and then purchase" order of operation... thus I was not exposed to alot of stuff that made it to cable television.... cowboy bebop was one series I actually never saw believe it or not.... I know nothing about it... and while its on my "to get to" list, there are a number of titles before that one....

As for the time being I'm now watching Utawarerumono (I wonder if I spelled that right......) and though I almost gave up after a few episodes and wrote it off, I'm glad I didn't. I'm about 11 eps in and really digging this at the moment. Great one as far the fantasy stuff is concerned.

I'm also rewatching Sailor Moon-LoL! I'm also 11 eps in on that as of today and not really digging it.... the appeal of this one is purely nostalgic to me as it was the first anime I was ever exposed to.... Never did watch past season 2 though, so I guess I've got something to look forward to... then again maybe I don't.....

On deck I have Saiyuki, High School of the Dead, Clannad, Murder Princess, Gai Rei Zero, Eureka 7, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Magical Girl Lyrica......something or other.... full title escapes me at the moment..... anyhow, any suggestions as to what to dig into next out of that bunch?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: April 23, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »

I have always watched anime via a "research and then purchase" order of operation... thus I was not exposed to alot of stuff that made it to cable television.... cowboy bebop was one series I actually never saw believe it or not.... I know nothing about it... and while its on my "to get to" list, there are a number of titles before that one....

As for the time being I'm now watching Utawarerumono (I wonder if I spelled that right......) and though I almost gave up after a few episodes and wrote it off, I'm glad I didn't. I'm about 11 eps in and really digging this at the moment. Great one as far the fantasy stuff is concerned.

I'm also rewatching Sailor Moon-LoL! I'm also 11 eps in on that as of today and not really digging it.... the appeal of this one is purely nostalgic to me as it was the first anime I was ever exposed to.... Never did watch past season 2 though, so I guess I've got something to look forward to... then again maybe I don't.....

On deck I have Saiyuki, High School of the Dead, Clannad, Murder Princess, Gai Rei Zero, Eureka 7, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Magical Girl Lyrica......something or other.... full title escapes me at the moment..... anyhow, any suggestions as to what to dig into next out of that bunch?

I'm a big supporter of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. (I've recommended the show to some girls and guys and up to now everyone loved it)
The biggest problem with starting to watch it used to be the terrible and lolitastic season 1... but not anymore!

For maximum enjoyment I'd say watch "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - The Movie 1st" which is the improved movie version of the first season.
After that "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's".
If you liked it and want to see more of the characters then check out "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha  - Strikers", but be warned that season 3 is pretty average.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:07:53 PM by Annubis » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »

Watched Thermae Romae a few days ago, short but man it cracked me up! Currently watching Desert Punk and I love it, just the right amount of humor and dark humor for my tastes.

Everything's Eventual
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:31 PM »

I'm a big supporter of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. (I've recommended the show to some girls and guys and up to now everyone loved it)
The biggest problem with starting to watch it used to be the terrible and lolitastic season 1... but not anymore!

For maximum enjoyment I'd say watch "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - The Movie 1st" which is the improved movie version of the first season.
If you liked it and want to see more of the characters then check out "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha  - Strikers", but be warned that season 3 is pretty average.

Thanks for the advice my friend! Figuring out where to start with some of these series is the hardest part :) I'm going heed your words and start my magical girl adventure tonite! hahaha... that sounded dirty

Watched Thermae Romae a few days ago, short but man it cracked me up! Currently watching Desert Punk and I love it, just the right amount of humor and dark humor for my tastes.

Though I'm not one for humor much, desert punk was one I wanted to check out too and I like your tastes Bytor.... think that one is going on the list now too...

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

If everyone's in a helpful mood, I could use some help choosing between these 5 shows to watch:

Fang of the Sun Dougram
Berserk
Slayers
Super Beast Machine God Dancougar
Magic Knight Rayearth

I should note that I have seen some of all these before, I just can't really choose which one to go with right now.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: April 24, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »

If you liked it and want to see more of the characters then check out "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha  - Strikers", but be warned that season 3 is pretty average.

StrikerS also suffered from cast bloat by that point as the number of principal characters tripled the size of A's entire cast (and that's only on the protagonist's side). That said, Banpresto really needs to get the call to make an SRW-like game for the series. The series was basically made for it, and besides, they've already done the honors for Queen's Blade.

Anyways to make your future decision making endeavors harder K. Chroma, I'd also recommend Highschool of the Dead (unedited), Gai Rei Zero, and Eureka 7:

HSotD: It's a zombie show except that it kind of explores what happens when all hell breaks loose in Japan instead of rural America. The core cast is mostly solid (if ridiculously proportioned when it comes to the females), there's fun to be had at seeing typical anime cliches turned on their head (as zombies feast on the brains), and despite the title very little happens within a Highschool instead hitting other typical zombie locals like the shopping mall. Unfortunately, the manga seems to be in hiatus and doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon, so you've basically got a series with no resolution. Additionally due to the levels of gore typically seen within the zombie genre, the broadcast version of the show got edited to hell and back; you'll want to find a version that doesn't look like the negative sat in the sun for too long. If you can get past that and the ridiculous fanservice (look up bullet-time breasts, and I'll guarantee you that this show's going to come up).

GR0: It's a prequel series. It's about demon hunting in the modern day setting (and none of that ancient secret that only a select few know about nonsense; they've got special sections for this shit). And I can't really describe it any more than that due to spoilers. Just know that the three episode test was basically designed for shows like this.

E7: The definition of the slow burn. This show's about the characters and the relationships they build. Everything else is basically complementary, even the giant airboarding robot battles. And it takes a while for things to move, but it's worth it in the end. I don't want to describe this anymore than that because I can't do the character building justice, but I can tell you that it's going to take a while and for the love of god, don't try to marathon this. Watch an episode or two a day, and remember that even slow episodes have something that'll come up later.

If everyone's in a helpful mood, I could use some help choosing between these 5 shows to watch:

Fang of the Sun Dougram
Berserk
Slayers
Super Beast Machine God Dancougar
Magic Knight Rayearth

I should note that I have seen some of all these before, I just can't really choose which one to go with right now.

Depends on whether it's Dancougar or Dancougar Nova and whether it's one of the first three Slayers series, one of the movies, or anything else. If it's Dancougar, then it's a serviceable giant robot show. If not then it depends on how much you like shows such as Graviton since it's much closer to that style than a real giant robot show.

As for Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try, all three are good but Next is the best followed by Slayers, followed by Try. Slayers in a movie or OVA format is also typically a safe bet. The rest all tend to vary between mediocre and terrible (though mostly to mediocre). Anyway you slice it you're in for JRPG based shenanigans.

I've only read the MKR series and I recall the anime taking things in a different direction. Either way I'm kinda ehh on the series. Good concept but a little too touchy feely for my tastes.

I don't know what to say about Berserk right now as there's movies coming out in Japan right now that are covering the same part of the manga that the series did and probably more. In fact the series is really only good to serve as a jumping off point for the manga which has long since moved on from the point that the series left off (also the problem with getting into the manga is that it takes about three months for a chapter to come out so cliffhangers last just as long assuming the plot doesn't just hang out on a boat while things happen out on the side for years at a whack).

TL;DR: Chroma, HSotD and Nanoha seem right up your alley and GR0 would be a good follow up to both. Mickeymac92, wait on Berserk, Slayers is on Hulu so go with that, and assuming that Dougram is a giant robot show (and how could it not with a name like that) it and Dancougar are also acceptable but not my first picks.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »

Mondo thanks for the advice Aeolus!! You actually made things easier because HSotD is one of the shorter series on my list and what I was initially inclined to check out first anyhow, so I will actually do that one first before moving on the magical girl stuff...

Berserk vs. Slayers vs. Magic Knight Rayearth eh..... that is a tough one.....  I would say Magic Knight Rayearth is definately the weakest of the three but if you dig nineties fantasy anime as much as I do you'll love it all the same :)..... Berserk is one of my favorite series of all time, though as Aeolus said, waiting for another installment of the manga is rough.... luckily playing catch up takes a little bit if you pace yourself seeing as how there are like 20 volumes of manga beyond the covered story arc of the series.... Berserk also sports some of the most shocking twists and turns in a fantasy anime plot I've ever witnessed, as well some of my all-time favorite characters and battles, so I suppose I'm highly partial to berserk.... Slayers is great, don't get me wrong, I've watched all but the very last season and have enjoyed all of it, but its just no Berserk to me... no sir...

My final word on the matter is this... if you want something more lighthearted and traditionally "anime", go Slayers.... if you want something that is gonna really grab you, take you for a more serious  adventure and are in the mood for something darker and deeper go Berserk. Either way watch both Berserk and at least the first 3 Seasons of slayers and then at the end of it, don't forget MKR

As for dougram and dancouger..... I got nothing.... not familiar I'm afraid

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »

Second half of Desert Punk sucks ass. Just giving you guys a warning.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1424 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »

I actually didn't think it was that bad, thus admitted first half was much better but i still enjoyed second half. Anyhow, just started Usagi Drop....

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: