Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340965 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 207 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 302081 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1485 on: June 18, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »

Er...you're going to watch the ending first?

No...I just meant that I'm gonna wait and hear what people say about the ending before I dive into it. Obviously I'm not gonna watch the ending first. That would just be silly.

Well, I don't get that.  Especially in this case.  It's a prequel so we already have a pretty good idea how it's going to end.

I thought it was an alternate universe type thing? And it's not like prequels can't have shitty endings. In fact, for some reason it's the only thing I think it can screw up at this point, which is why I'm waiting.
prequel  to fate stay night. the ending is pretty much known to anyone who follows the fate stay night series.

Argh, I guess I should be specific: I want to make sure the ending is conclusive enough so I don't feel like I have to watch Fate/Stay Night to get the whole story. Because I'm not watching that show. Ever. Not unless they can rewrite the entire thing without my two least favorite characters ever. Besides, a non-conclusive ending is always bad, IMO, regardless of whether or not there is a sequel.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1486 on: June 18, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »

Argh, I guess I should be specific: I want to make sure the ending is conclusive enough so I don't feel like I have to watch Fate/Stay Night to get the whole story. Because I'm not watching that show. Ever. Not unless they can rewrite the entire thing without my two least favorite characters ever. Besides, a non-conclusive ending is always bad, IMO, regardless of whether or not there is a sequel.

OK, we're getting off-topic here but how the heck can you know something has your "two least favorite characters ever" if you haven't even seen it...

In any event, Fate/Zero is a prequel about a mostly different cast describing the lead up to a certain event that's kind of the basis for Fate/Stay Night.  They're largely independent and there's just isn't enough wiggle room in terms of what has to happen to think that Fate/Zero's ending is going to be inconclusive.  While it's true that a lot of anime has inconclusive endings there's a reason for that, namely that they're based on manga or light novels that are still ongoing so the ending isn't actually the end.  That just doesn't apply here.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1487 on: June 18, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

OK, we're getting off-topic here but how the heck can you know something has your "two least favorite characters ever" if you haven't even seen it...

I read the Visual Novel enough to know I hate the main characters, but not enough to get the main plot outside of the whole tournament thing.

And I think either you misunderstood what I mean by inclonclusive (I don't want something that ends like it's setting up a sequel. I know that's asking for too much here, but if it can at least find some middle ground, I think I'd be fine. I'm really anal about finishing anime stories and if I can feel at all satisfied when it ends, I'd probably call it a victory for Fate/Zero), or more likely, I'm not understanding how it's supposed to end, in which case, enlighten me, I'm the only one here who doesn't know it anyways.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1488 on: June 18, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »

Sure, massive spoilers for those unfamiliar with Fate/Stay Night:

Code:
By the end of Fate/Zero pretty much everyone dies.  Emiya Kiritsugu and Saber win the holy grail war but somehow his wish doesn't work and it causes a huge tragedy that destroys much of the surrounding town (the only survivor being a young Shirou, F/SN's main character, who gets adopted by Kiritsugu).  Kiritsugu is also cursed after that and his body slowly weakens until he dies so he spends what time he has left raising Shirou.  Kotomine Kirei and Gilgamesh survive, the latter being somehow turned from a heroic spirit into flesh and blood by the grail.  They go on to be major antagonists in F/SN.  The daughter of Kiritsugu and Irisviel becomes the vessel for the next grail.  Though I'm not really sure why Kiritsugu decides to spend his remaining years raising Shirou but not with his own daughter...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1489 on: June 18, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Sure, massive spoilers for those unfamiliar with Fate/Stay Night:

Code:
By the end of Fate/Zero pretty much everyone dies.  Emiya Kiritsugu and Saber win the holy grail war but somehow his wish doesn't work and it causes a huge tragedy that destroys much of the surrounding town (the only survivor being a young Shirou, F/SN's main character, who gets adopted by Kiritsugu).  Kiritsugu is also cursed after that and his body slowly weakens until he dies so he spends what time he has left raising Shirou.  Kotomine Kirei and Gilgamesh survive, the latter being somehow turned from a heroic spirit into flesh and blood by the grail.  They go on to be major antagonists in F/SN.  The daughter of Kiritsugu and Irisviel becomes the vessel for the next grail.  Though I'm not really sure why Kiritsugu decides to spend his remaining years raising Shirou but not with his own daughter...

Huh. That's all then? Sounds like most of the main story was reconciled, if I'm reading that correctly. Then I guess I didn't have much to worry about, so maybe I'll give the show a shot some time. Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:26:47 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1490 on: June 19, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

I never got familiar with the Fate stuff.... I was always under the impression it was more "Pokemon" and less "Fantasy" (not that there is a problem with that) and just sort of turned a blind eye to it..... been meaning to check it out though......

I just want to quickly say THANK YOU BYTOR ol' boy!!! A few pages of posts ago you mentioned "Now and Then, Here and There" and upon your suggestion I checked it out... EXCELLENT series so far.... I'm only a few eps in and totally hooked.....

In other news Gai Rei Zero proved surprisingly satisfying, wrapping up nicely with a few plot twists toward the end of its short little run whilst still leaving plenty of room for more if in fact more is to come.... I don't normally jump for the "bad-ass monster-slaying chick-with-a-sword" stuff either.... usually seems horribly generic to me ever since I tried watching the atrocity that was Blood C after the Last Vamp film.... One thing I must mention didn't like too much was some odd cg visuals for the demons is GRZ..... but then again I never really dig the inclusion of the CG stuff......

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1491 on: June 19, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »

I never got familiar with the Fate stuff.... I was always under the impression it was more "Pokemon" and less "Fantasy" (not that there is a problem with that) and just sort of turned a blind eye to it..... been meaning to check it out though......

I was going to respond to this earlier but I was just flabbergasted.  The Fate series is nothing like Pokemon...

Speaking of Fate stuff I just got my Unlimited Blade Works blu-ray.  Good film.  I like that route better than the one in the TV series.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1492 on: June 20, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »

In other news Gai Rei Zero proved surprisingly satisfying, wrapping up nicely with a few plot twists toward the end of its short little run whilst still leaving plenty of room for more if in fact more is to come.... I don't normally jump for the "bad-ass monster-slaying chick-with-a-sword" stuff either.... usually seems horribly generic to me ever since I tried watching the atrocity that was Blood C after the Last Vamp film.... One thing I must mention didn't like too much was some odd cg visuals for the demons is GRZ..... but then again I never really dig the inclusion of the CG stuff......

More might have come since then. In fact there may be a reason why 'Gai Rei Zero' didn't just call itself 'Gai Rei'. Perhaps that added 'Zero' was meant to indicate something.

Code:
(Hint hint....)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1493 on: June 20, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »

What the hell? :|

How did you even come up with comparing Pokémon with Fate/stay night? Please, explain.

Speaking of Fate stuff I just got my Unlimited Blade Works blu-ray.  Good film.  I like that route better than the one in the TV series.

Really? Might wanna go watch that soon then. I enjoyed the anime series a lot.

Never bothered with Fate/Zero though, maybe after the movie that changes.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1494 on: June 20, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »

More might have come since then. In fact there may be a reason why 'Gai Rei Zero' didn't just call itself 'Gai Rei'. Perhaps that added 'Zero' was meant to indicate something.

Not exactly since then, more like before then.  Ga-Rei Zero is a prequel to the Ga-Rei manga, though the latter is just a manga, hasn't been animated.

Really? Might wanna go watch that soon then. I enjoyed the anime series a lot.

Never bothered with Fate/Zero though, maybe after the movie that changes.

Definitely check out Unlimited Blade Works.  It's not exactly a rehash, remember that FSN was originally a visual novel so there are different routes through it.  The TV series covered one of them and UBW covers a different one.

And yeah, I've already said it in this thread but definitely check out Fate/Zero.  Between Fate/Zero, FSN TV, and UBW, Fate/Zero is my favorite, followed by UBW, and FSN TV is last.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1495 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »

For anyone interested...all I can say is this is one of my favorite shows ever.....

Usagi Drop

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1496 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »

The saddest thing with Usagi Drop is that everyone who watched the anime have no idea about the second half of the story.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1497 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »

I know about the second half, but that does not detract from the show for me.

Everything's Eventual
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1498 on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

I'll probably never watch Usagi Drop because of that manga ending. I make a comparison to Yotsuba in my head and think about how legitimately pissed off I'd be if it ended like that. It's best that I just don't set myself up for that.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1499 on: June 23, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Let me apologize for erroneously making any comparison between pokemon and fate/stay..... it was a retarded statement that totally mis-represented me meaning... which was that it was a false impression I discerned a long time ago that kept me away...

Anyhow, you don't have to tell me twice to check out anything of the fantasy-fare... Starting with Fate Stay/Night, orderred and on the way...

Speaking of Fantasy Anime... I decided to watch the first 3 eps of Queens Blade last night.... I don't understand the appeal of this one at all... typically I am sucker for fantasy anime but I found nothing appealing about this yet.... No cool characters, I don't like the art style and so far everyone is just a chick who gets naked... I am hoping the condition improves a few more eps in but seriously, I can't hold out much hope for a series that kicks off the first episode with a freakin' bunny demon that oozes acidic tit milk or whatever the hell that was.....

Another strike this week came by way of Dream Eater Merry.... albeit a quasi-original plot, the characters lack much of anything to get attached to for me... and might I add that Merry's jacket bothers me to no end. I know anime-attire doesn't always make sense but those coat tails are too over the top to be ignored. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.... probably because there isn't enough going on for me to over-look it.

Still loving the heck out of "Now and Then, Here and There" though. This one just keeps getting better and better.....

EDIT: Thanks Aeolus for the "hint" about Gai-Rei.... I'll be giving it a read in due time....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:19:09 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 207 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: