Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338195 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 296436 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1530 on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »

I have been on a nostalgia kick and have been trying to acquire DVDs of the original Tenchi Muyo OVA series.  While Tenchi might seem a bit tired today, that's because so much of what has come since has tried to copy that formula.  It's an important piece of anime history.  But let me tell you something: it's friggin hard to find.  There have been lots of spin-offs and reboots of Tenchi but I don't care about them, I just want the original series.  Unfortunately this is where things get horribly confusing...

There are 20 episodes of Tenchi OVAs but they were not all released at the same time.  They're actually split into three subseries.  The first two OVA series were licensed by the now-defunct Geneon and nobody else picked them up so they're completely out of print.  That's the first 13 episodes and they were split across 4 discs, and it was released just under the name "Tenchi Muyo".  In Japan the entirety of the OVAs are known as Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-ohki, but Geneon dropped the Ryo-ohki subtitle.  Funimation picked up the third OVA series and decided to release it with the Ryo-ohki subtitle.  And then, just to make things more confusing, they put out something called the "Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-ohki Complete Collection".  But it's not complete at all!  It's just the third OVA series.  Since Funimation is still around, that much is still in print and easy to get.

Following so far?  So the problem is getting the 4 discs that make up the first two OVA series.  Oddly enough, the first disc and just the first disc is actually pretty easy to find.  I don't really understand why.  I guess they must have printed more of them or something.  So I need to find OVA 1 disc 2 and OVA 2 discs 1 and 2 (or is that OVA discs 2, 3, and 4...).  Part of the problem is that there are so many Tenchi series that if you try to just search for "Tenchi Muyo disc 2" or something on ebay you get a lot of irrelevant results.  But you can't stick in "Ryo-ohki" since it's likely that they're not listed with that name.  Anyway I have found some stuff on ebay, but Jesus Christ is it expensive.  I found people selling the complete set of Geneon OVAs (that's a whopping 4 discs with 13 episodes) for $250!!  Used.  That's like $20 an episode.  So yeah, that's a rip-off, especially since the first disc can be found relatively cheaply.  If you're willing to shop around and get each disc from a different seller then I've seen discs 2-4 go for around $40-50 each (again, used).  That's still pretty darn pricey.  But there really aren't very many listings for them at all (at leas that I've found, see search problems).  You kind of have to jump when there's a chance.

So yeah, it's a complete friggin mess.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1531 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

I remember when I first watched the last part of the Tenchi movie and being utterly confused as to what was going on in this cartoon(?) on late night SciFi. The important thing to note was that this predated Toonami or any other convenient source for cable anime (that wasn't horribly mangled in order to hide the Japanese serial numbers at least).

It didn't help things by the movie taking itself as seriously as it did since I knew of the series's humor.

Also fuck Tenchi Muyo for popularizing the harem genre, which led to the arms race of promiscuity which has since resulted in the creation of moe.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1532 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »

Is the recent release of Hunter x Hunter any good?  Is it the same thing as the old Hunter x Hunter?  I was always kind of curious about it, but never saw it.

I have been on a nostalgia kick and have been trying to acquire DVDs of the original Tenchi Muyo OVA series.  While Tenchi might seem a bit tired today, that's because so much of what has come since has tried to copy that formula.  It's an important piece of anime history.  But let me tell you something: it's friggin hard to find...

I hear that.  Awhile back I was looking to find Yoroiden Samurai Troopers on DVD.  Not a particularly good show, but I liked it for what it was (anime from the late 80s-90s had great music).  They eventually released it on dvd back in '02 and I bought them and watched most of them, but then sold them on RPGFan for like $15 bucks a pop.  I wouldn't mind watching it again, but they're damn expensive these days.

Oh, and I have that DVD set that you're looking for =P.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's currently on Amazon used for $65 bucks.  The whole tenchi muyo timeline is indeed confusing.  Was going to watch the later oav episodes that explained some things, but I was never sure what was what so I just said fuck it and never watched it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1533 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

a lot of the Tenchi Muyo lore isn't in the actual anime, but various side materials which makes following the series kinda confusing especially during the gap  between the 2nd and 3rd OVA. The original Tench 2: movie dvd had an amazing  encyclopedia  as an extra that had a ton of information about the characters, places, and important items within the Tenchi universe.  It also helps somewhat if you watch Tenchi gxp. Tenchi Gxp isnt that great as whole but it does fill in the background about some Juraian and space lore.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:26:02 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1534 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

Oh, and I have that DVD set that you're looking for =P.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's currently on Amazon used for $65 bucks.  The whole tenchi muyo timeline is indeed confusing.  Was going to watch the later oav episodes that explained some things, but I was never sure what was what so I just said fuck it and never watched it.

Thank you, that does look like what I was looking for!  I didn't think to check used stuff on Amazon, and I've got to say I'm surprised it's so much cheaper than ebay prices.  Even so, the condition of the $65 sounds pretty iffy but there's one at $70 that sounds like it's in a lot better condition.

Also fuck Tenchi Muyo for popularizing the harem genre, which led to the arms race of promiscuity which has since resulted in the creation of moe.

Tenchi has nothing to do with moe.  That's a peculiar statement.  It did help popularize the harem genre (though I think Love Hina had a bigger impact), but harems and moe have little to do with each other.  It's true that most (though not all) modern harem shows have moe characters, that's simply because moe characters are popular and they're in everything.  Besides which, the actual origins of moe predate Tenchi.  It's not really a new thing.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1535 on: July 12, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »

For those still wondering what to watch, Binbougami Ga! is really good.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1536 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »

I've taken a break from Dougram (which has been consistantly awesome for 25 eisodes) since I read a major spoiler that I now need to forget. Now I'm watching Pretty Cure, and so far it's been ...impressively tame for a magical girl show. Very little fanservice and the girls aren't overly cute or anything, and their tastes in boys are a little closer to their age. I really like the characters so far, though I wish the purple haired girl got some more development, but I guess that'll be the next episode. With that said, the action scenes so far have been horrible in virtually every way possible. It's like their from a low budget tokusatsu film or something. The first episode was especially terrible. Also, it doesn't look like it'll have much of a story. I'll keep watching, but don't be surprised if I get bored of it halfway through...

EDIT: Episode 4 of Pretty Cure was surprisingly awesome - even the action was good! Seriously, only problem is they solved the one mystery this show had, and it was kinda disappointing. The next one also looks like it could be interesting. Could this mean the show is actually picking up and could turn out better than I thought? Either way, I'm now going in with renewed enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:01:23 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1537 on: July 12, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »

Just finished Mermaid Forest...wow...a few of the episodes were seriously good...a few pretty good..and the rest I still enjoyed. Only issue is the ones that were awesome really made the others seem mediocre. Also started Nodame Cantabile Paris, I really enjoyed the first season so hopefully this is as good.

Everything's Eventual
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1538 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »

While it's probably unfair to blame moe on one show, if we're going to do that I'm pointing at Azumanga Daoih.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1539 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »

While it's probably unfair to blame moe on one show, if we're going to do that I'm pointing at Azumanga Daoih.

That makes no sense =/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_%28slang%29#Origins

Also, considering Card Captor Sakura was playing alongside Azumanga, I'd point at Card Captor instead:
http://www.animesaimoe.org/2002index.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:41:07 PM by Annubis » Logged
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: July 14, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »

Watched the first episode of Sword Arts Online.  Was alright.  Probably will check out the other episodes as they come.

Is the recent release of Hunter x Hunter any good?  Is it the same thing as the old Hunter x Hunter?  I was always kind of curious about it, but never saw it.

Anyone know?

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »

Watched the first episode of Sword Arts Online.  Was alright.  Probably will check out the other episodes as they come.

Anyone know?

I stopped watching around episode 19, but that's because I've been waiting for it to get sufficiently ahead so I can marathon it the next time I get the urge to watch it. So far...it's been good, but don't expect a lot of action. I haven't seen the original anime, but it's supposed to be even slower paced than the new one, which has already had as few as 3 fight scenes for nearly 20 episodes. It spend a lot of time developing its characters and world, which I find very interesting. It also has a lot of creative solutions to problems, and doesn't settle everything with violence. For a shonen show, I find it highly commendable, provided you keep your expectations in check.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1542 on: July 14, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

I find it highly commendable, provided you keep your expectations in check.

Thanks, shouldn't be a problem as I don't really have any expectations/knowledge other than the old show had a following back in the day.

Also dsfjorjklrgnlkrg want. want.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

I had Campione on my list of anticipated titles this season...let's cross that one off.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the novels it's based on, but the anime is terrible.  First of all, the pacing is a complete mess.  They're clearly trying to cram too much material into the time they've been given so they just jump from one scene to another without really explaining anything.  And it's only loosely following the plot of the books in the first place.  I mean, there are parts that are clearly based on the novels but they're merging multiple story lines and doing things all out of order.  That doesn't have to be bad, but it is here.  Character development has been thrown out the window.  Erica has been reduced to a cheap whore.  But even the battles are boring.  A big part of what made the fights interesting in the novels is the fact that Godou isn't a charge-in-without-thinking kind of character.  His approach is actually quite contemplative and tactical.  But there's not even a hint of that in the anime.  I mean heck, how could there be when they don't even bother to explain to the viewer what the conditions on his powers are.

There is seriously not a single redeeming quality to this show.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »

There is seriously not a single redeeming quality to this show.

Not to sound like a dick or anything, but that's more or less the impression I got from reading the description on Crunchyroll...

Anyways, I'm starting to get board of Pretty Cure - Monster of the Week shows can only hold my attention for so long - so I decided to go back to Gundam AGE...but I don't think I'll be continuing it after all. I finished the first arc, and it's still pretty disappointing. I'll probably just end up going back to Pretty Cure tomorrow. I'm only 11 episodes in. Might want to watch some more before I call it quits.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: