Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 11:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338718 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 297826 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1545 on: July 14, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »

There is seriously not a single redeeming quality to this show.

Not to sound like a dick or anything, but that's more or less the impression I got from reading the description on Crunchyroll...

You do pretty much sound like a dick, though, since I said that I've read the novels and liked them.  Mind you, I've never claimed they were groundbreaking or anything.  The same general description still applies, but the novels feature solid characters and interesting battles.  These things have been completely lost in the transition to anime, however...it butchers the source material.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1546 on: July 14, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that you should've known it was bad. It was just meant to be more of a comment that I'm not surprised to see it didn't live up to expectations. I guess I still have my old habit of twisting everything I say so I end up sounding like total jerk. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1547 on: July 14, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »

Re: Gundam AGE. I've been keeping up with it, but it's pretty tepid. It hasn't really done anything to specifically piss me off, it's just playing it so...safe. The animation is certainly pretty though, which is half the reason I watch anime anyway.

I liked the second and third arcs (so far) way more than the first one, if that helps.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1548 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:16 PM »

I had Campione on my list of anticipated titles this season...let's cross that one off.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the novels it's based on, but the anime is terrible.  First of all, the pacing is a complete mess.  They're clearly trying to cram too much material into the time they've been given so they just jump from one scene to another without really explaining anything.  And it's only loosely following the plot of the books in the first place.  I mean, there are parts that are clearly based on the novels but they're merging multiple story lines and doing things all out of order.  That doesn't have to be bad, but it is here.  Character development has been thrown out the window.  Erica has been reduced to a cheap whore.  But even the battles are boring.  A big part of what made the fights interesting in the novels is the fact that Godou isn't a charge-in-without-thinking kind of character.  His approach is actually quite contemplative and tactical.  But there's not even a hint of that in the anime.  I mean heck, how could there be when they don't even bother to explain to the viewer what the conditions on his powers are.

There is seriously not a single redeeming quality to this show.
A very common problem when light novels  or visual novels  are converted to anime. They are usually either horribly paced, trying to jam as much material as possible into twelve or thirteen episodes, or very loosely following the source material, then making up the rest. VNs also have the problem of being reduced to mindless, fanservice heavy, harem anime whenever they are converted.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1549 on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:12 AM »

Watched The Twelve Kingdoms which was just excellent. A bit sad that it looks like they were only able to cover about half of the source material. And when the last episode is a recap episode I assume they wanted to and suddenly got canceled.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1550 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »

Re: Gundam AGE. I've been keeping up with it, but it's pretty tepid. It hasn't really done anything to specifically piss me off, it's just playing it so...safe. The animation is certainly pretty though, which is half the reason I watch anime anyway.

I liked the second and third arcs (so far) way more than the first one, if that helps.

Yeah, safe is my general impression so far. I'll probably give it another go (the dice have been repeatedly telling me to watch it), I just gotta try to adjust my expectations some more.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1551 on: July 16, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »

It's been forever since I've watched any anime, but I still have some in my queue that pop up from time to time.
Last night I watched Perfect Blue. It was pretty interesting, but left me with a lot of questions. Not just about what actually happened, and who actually did it, but about common sense type things. Like why they would let Mima walk off on her own after a few people had been murdered? Shouldn't she have had bodyguards? Why were they even still filming the show? I'm pretty sure there would be at least a couple day shut down for one murder, let one 2 or 3. And why did Mima never go to the police with her issues? Why not talk to someone about the ultra creepiness of the website? All this stuff bothered me.
Despite my issues, I found it to be a pretty engrossing psychological thriller. Especially towards the end when you're right along with Mima, wondering what is real and what is not.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1552 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »

Watched The Twelve Kingdoms which was just excellent. A bit sad that it looks like they were only able to cover about half of the source material. And when the last episode is a recap episode I assume they wanted to and suddenly got canceled.

Twelve Kingdoms kicked major ass!! The fact that there wasn't more of it was a real tragedy as it totally stands as one of my favorite fantasy animes. Might I suggest you check out Utawarerumono (might have to double check me on the spelling of that one....) if you dug TK.... Uta. may not be AS good but its certainly nothing to scoff at, and it definately has a TK feel to the setting....

I've been really trying to find some new fantasy stuff to sink my teeth into, but so much of it proves so disapointing nowadays.... Any suggestions excluding the following, would be appreciated (those marked with a * are ones I particularly liked for one reason or another):

Lodoss*
Slayers*
Tears to Tiara*
Utawarerumono*
Murder Princess
Berserk*
Claymore
Sacred Blacksmith
Scrapped Princess*
Rayearth*
Tales of (Anime)
Bastard!
Legend of Legendary Heroes*
El Hazard*
Tower of Druaga
Rune Soldier
Twelve Kingdoms*
Saiyuki

I'm currently considering "The Familiar of Zero F", "Ragnarok the animation" or "Fairy Tail"....... so any experience with any of those three would be welcome....

In the meantime I'm watching Paranoia Agent and 3x3 Eyes.... Both are freakin' great in their own respects by the way... Paranoia Agent is such a psychologically intriguing mess that anyone who dug serial experiments lain should be able to appreciate this... 3x3 eyes is just straight up early 90's anime goodness.... I watched 3x3 when I was a kid and it is totally every bit as good as I remember it.

As an aside I gave Goldenboy and Shiki a shot (could I go more opposite ends of the spectrum?) and gave up pretty quick.... Goldenboy was definately way funny and Shiki seemed to have some originality to it but neither was really trippin' my trigger ATM..... I need my fantasy fix-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1553 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:20 AM »

I really wish I could help ya, but I haven't seen half the shows that you've seen (and am writing them down for future reference) and nearly all of the good shows I can think of you've already seen. Only one I got is that someone recently introduced me to Gokudo, which is supposed to be like Slayers and Rune Soldier.  I haven't given it a shot yet, but I figure you'd appreciate something like that more than I would anyways.

I might be able to help you with these three, though, if only just a little:
I'm currently considering "The Familiar of Zero F", "Ragnarok the animation" or "Fairy Tail"....... so any experience with any of those three would be welcome....

The only thing I know about The Familiar of Zero is that it starts out okay and then gets gradually worse as it goes on. I gave up after the first season. I recently read a review of TFoZF, actually, and it sounds like it's no different except it ends surprisingly on a high note, so if you've been watching it for 3 seasons now, it might be worth it to finish it off, if only to see that ending.

I watched 1 episode of Ragnarok, and it was...okay, I guess.  I don't remember anything standing out as exceptionally good or bad.

Fairy Tail is probably the best of the 3, but I'm not so sure it's what you're looking for. It's more shounen like Naruto or One Piece. If you don't mind that, go ahead, you'll be in for one heck of a (long) ride.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1554 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:59 AM »

Klyde, we have really similar tastes in fantasy anime.  My starred list would be practical the same as yours.

I haven't seen Ragnarok, but I don't think I would really recommend The Familiar of Zero or Fairy Tail.  The former is just...not very good.  The latter is OK for what it is, but it's very Shounen Jump (This is where somebody points out to me that it's not actually in Shounen Jump.  Fine, it's in Weekly Shounen Magazine, Jump's main competitor.  Same difference.), with long drawn-out plotlines and lots of silly over-the-top powers.  I think it's really aimed at a younger demographic.

Otherwise most of the stuff I would recommend you've already seen.  One notable exception would be Spice and Wolf, which is actually one of my all-time favorites.  As long as you don't mind some economics in your fantasy anime (personally I love that kind of stuff).  Some others would be Mushishi--which is very slow but quite interesting and has some beautiful animation--or Moribito--which is really quite conventional, maybe even old-fashioned, in structure but it's very well made.  Moribito is on Crunchyroll so you don't even need to buy anything.

By the way, how do you feel about space operas?

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1555 on: July 18, 2012, 03:30:44 AM »

@kevadu

Spice and wolf was freakin' fantastic! I loved it... i just didn't list it with my fantasy stuff because... well... i forgot... LoL.... it isn't your typical fantasy fair and just didn't come to mind....

Mushishi was also great. I love supernatural fantasy stuff.... even if it isn't that great, I'm just a sucker for it.

So although I saw those two, Moribito flew under my radar. I will totally check that out..

As for the fairy tail being shonen... yea I'm very aware... probably one of the reasons I steered clear for so long but alas I'm running out of fantasy.

Now as for space operas.... I am actually to under-exposed to say yay or nay. I'm typically not a sci-fi dude and even some sci-fantasy turns me off so I never really explored much of it. But that isn't to say there are not exceptions (not that these qualify as space opera, but they are exceptions to my typical tastes).... I loved Iria (one of my all time favs actually), Outlaw Star was decent, Evangelion was awesome (even though I HATE big robots, I liked this series enough to tattoo Rei on myself.... it is hard to tattoo yourself by the way) but as I said, to be honest, if it has guns, crazy technology or in any way reminds me of my fathers affinity for star trek and transformers I have completely evaded it.... that being said Kevadu, being that you seem to have a beat on what it is I like I would love some suggestions to point me in a good direction in this regard.

@mickeyman
Thanks for the suggestion of Gokudo. Can't say I've heard of it and as such I will be checking it out!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1556 on: July 18, 2012, 04:41:57 AM »

I mentioned space operas because a couple of my all-time favorite animes are space operas and at their core I don't think they're really that different from some of the fantasy stuff that's been mentioned.  Space operas generally aren't about the technology itself so much as they are about using some far-future setting as a stage for human drama.

To be more specific, when I get asked what my favorite anime of all time (not just 'one of') is I usually answer Legend of the Galactic Heroes.  But when I think about what makes it that way the sci-fi part doesn't even enter the equation.  It's a truly epic (and I mean that term in a way that would truly pass Maddox's standards) tale of war and politics that draws inspiration from sources like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and 19th century Prussia.  It just happens to be set in space.

It's also really long, bombards the viewer with names of people and places, and suffers from some amazingly low-budget animation, so it can be challenging to get into.  But it's my favorite for a reason and I know a lot of people share that opinion. 

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1557 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »

Lodoss*
Slayers*
Tears to Tiara*
Utawarerumono*
Murder Princess
Berserk*
Claymore
Sacred Blacksmith
Scrapped Princess*
Rayearth*
Tales of (Anime)
Bastard!
Legend of Legendary Heroes*
El Hazard*
Tower of Druaga
Rune Soldier
Twelve Kingdoms*
Saiyuki

Out of that I'd say the good ones are:
- Utawarerumono (Good story, good action. serie + specials + 3 OVA)
- Claymore (manga only - although still ongoing)
- Legend of the Legendary heroes (Enjoyable but covers only a tiny spec of the story)
- Tower of Druaga (more of a silly show; it helps if you know about the Druaga games of the 1980s)
- Twelve Kingdoms (Watch the first ~25 something episodes. You'll know when you've reached the 'end'. The show after that is just an echo of how good it was at the beginning.)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1558 on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »

I mentioned space operas because a couple of my all-time favorite animes are space operas and at their core I don't think they're really that different from some of the fantasy stuff that's been mentioned.  Space operas generally aren't about the technology itself so much as they are about using some far-future setting as a stage for human drama.

To be more specific, when I get asked what my favorite anime of all time (not just 'one of') is I usually answer Legend of the Galactic Heroes.  But when I think about what makes it that way the sci-fi part doesn't even enter the equation.  It's a truly epic (and I mean that term in a way that would truly pass Maddox's standards) tale of war and politics that draws inspiration from sources like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and 19th century Prussia.  It just happens to be set in space.

It's also really long, bombards the viewer with names of people and places, and suffers from some amazingly low-budget animation, so it can be challenging to get into.  But it's my favorite for a reason and I know a lot of people share that opinion. 

I take it that you haven't watched a low budget anime before. I'm currently watching an anime called Sci-Fi Harry that's amazingly low-budget. Go watch a couple of episodes before you start calling things low budget. LOGH's problem was that it was made during the early 90s and it shows (also that it was 110 episodes long which for an OVA is still completely unprecedented and thus might not be as good looking on average as your typical 6 episode OVA might).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1559 on: July 18, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

Er, LoGH is low-budget.  That's a fact.  It had a dedicated cult following but never exactly lit of sales charts.  Those 110 OVA episodes were released over the course of ten years (so roughly an episode a month), but that's only possible because they kept the budget in line with sales expectations.  It was truly a labor of love.

There may be worse looking titles out there but the stiffness and general lack of animation in this anime is undeniable.  And no, that's not just because of its age.  Plenty of contemporary titles were far more fluid.  Though to be fair, the quality of the animation in LoGH does improve as it goes along.

That said I still love it.  I did say it was my favorite anime of all time, after all.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: