Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327283 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 191 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 262576 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: July 18, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »

I actually thought LotGH was visually impressive from the few episodes I saw. I don't recall seeing tons of recycled animation, errors, and slide shows like I'm used to seeing in old anime. It has been a while since I've seen any of it, though.

Anyways, Kevuda, I think you'd really like Fang of the Sun Dougram. It's kinda like Legend of the Galactic Heroes in that it's filled with political intrigue, historical allusions, and is more focused on more human issues. While the war is much more of a focus in Dougram and battles are more frequent, they're often methodical and tactical, and the main mecha is usually just a part of grander strategy, especially as it goes on. It's definitely one of the most natural sci-fi military fictions I've encountered, and while I haven't seen it all the way through yet, I did accidently spoil the ending on me, and I have a good feeling you'd appreciate the more realistic ending more than I would. My only complaint is that its pacing is very much in line with LoGH as well...it managed to hold my attention very well, but I'll admit I started to get antsy at times. I mean it spends 7 or 8 of its 75 episodes just on the prologue. =P Oh, and the main guy was annoying at first, but he grows up pretty fast.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »

Alright I just finished to see the Fate/stay night movie.

Those were some really impressive battles. And just how I like them too, fast as hell and very fun to watch.

Though, everything in the movie was shown like the audience has seen this story a thousands times already. Not a complain or anything, it was just something that got my attention for a while but is nice to see that they didn't wasted anyone's time with so much exposition.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: July 22, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

Been watching Deadman Wonderland on Adult Swim Toonami.

It's like if Shinji Ikari was in a Saw movie if Saw was a Shonen Jump series. Every week I wonder why I keep watching this crap then I watch Captain Stupid get filleted by the token loli of Team Batshit Insane while the rest of Team Stupid blunder right into the middle of the most obvious trap imaginable where random decapitations and gratuitous gibs galore are waiting. Of course the main character obviously survives without a scratch due to ridiculous plot armor and having the most competent and intelligent person in the show wanting to glomp him 24/7. It's more amusing to watch him march with the lemmings of the week and get away with it than anything else in regards to the show.

It's so disappointing to remember that this series came from the same guy who did E7 since I can see that the protagonists are the same to start with but at least with Renton, he had room to grow and develop his character and a stable cast that similarly did the same. Here, it's just a bunch of nameless mooks who's sole purpose is to die gratuitously and get replaced by next week's set of nameless mooks, nevermind the complete lack of any sane direction for the protagonist to develop in. He's just going to be a whiny bitch until he suddenly snaps when he acquires his midseason upgrade and no amount of bullshit is going to justify it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: July 22, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »

Finished all of the Nodame Cantabile series and I wish there were more, I really enjoyed this show. I'm on episode four of Rumiko Takahashi Anthology and so far this is seriously a well written show!

Everything's Eventual
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: July 22, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »

I'm on episode four of Rumiko Takahashi Anthology and so far this is seriously a well written show!

I've never heard of this, but her doing short stories sounds intriguing given how she usually drags things out.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »

How long is Rumiko Takahashi Anthology? I saw it in a store not too long ago, but they were asking, like, $60 for it...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »

13 25 min episodes

Everything's Eventual
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: July 23, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

Caught up on about 40 chapters of Kuroko no Basket and Hajime no Ippo.  Major developments in both series, with Ippo getting weirdly heavy and tragic in Kimura and Aoki's latest fights and Kuroko finally filling out the cast of "final bosses."  Still, I wish Kuroko was paced a little better.  The author needs to take a few pages out of Slam Dunk's playbook and have matches that last for longer than 15 chapters.  Also, when it gets going, Kuroko feels less like a manga about basketball and more like a manga about teenagers with superpowers.  That's entertaining at some level but it kinda undermines the action and drama that I love about sports manga. 

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: July 24, 2012, 02:43:04 AM »

Well 4 episodes in on the Familiar of Zero (1st season) and I'm thinking this is gonna be another fantasy-let-down..... I'm hoping I'm wrong but we will see......

Given that the only other two fantasy series I have on deck at the moment are Ragnarok and Fairy Tale (as I discussed a page or two ago), I've been trying to sample some other stuff to see what other realms I could jump into.

I have Case Closed I never got to, the cowboy bebop as well... neither really looked too appealing to me though, in spite of the acclaim surrounding both series... I wanna watch Legend of Galactic heroes but I gotta wait til I can procure that one still....

soooo in the mean-time I'm sure nearly everyone has seen some case closed and cowboy bebop.... any impressions anyone cares to share with me would be appreciated :)

ohhhh and as an aside... I just re-watched the first two Evangelion Re-build flicks and just wanna say THAT IS FREAKIN' QUALITY!!! while I know some people hold a lot of disdain for Evangelion, those re-build fliks rock..... way better way to digest the series than the old episodes IMO... can't wait for the third...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: July 24, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »

Well 4 episodes in on the Familiar of Zero (1st season) and I'm thinking this is gonna be another fantasy-let-down..... I'm hoping I'm wrong but we will see......

If you think it's disappointing now, just wait until you get further in...

Given that the only other two fantasy series I have on deck at the moment are Ragnarok and Fairy Tale (as I discussed a page or two ago), I've been trying to sample some other stuff to see what other realms I could jump into.

Gokudo not turn out to be something you'd be interested in?

I wanna watch Legend of Galactic heroes but I gotta wait til I can procure that one still....

Procure? As in buy? LoGH never game came out in the west.

soooo in the mean-time I'm sure nearly everyone has seen some case closed and cowboy bebop.... any impressions anyone cares to share with me would be appreciated :)

Case Closed - I have a friend or two who love that show, but I have not watched more than an episode or two, and it didn't impress. Of course, said friends said to at least get to episode...8, I think. I couldn't convince myself to go on, though, since it's a "crime-of-the-week-with-occasional-interlinking-plots" type of show that I just have a really hard time getting into. I even gave up on Pretty Cure after about 13 episodes, because despite being thoroughly entertaining, without a plot there's very little motivation for me to go on when things get stupid (like episode 14).

Now, Cowboy Bebop, on the otherhand, is how you do episodic material right. Every episode is exciting, the little stories in each episode are well done, there's enough interlinking plot to really motivate you to go on, and you're always learning more about the world and its characters as you go. The ending is also one of the best I've ever seen in anime. Asside from that, it has some really clever action, great music, and a great sense of style, and it all comes together to make something really special.

Despite all this mountainous praise, I suggest not getting too hyped for it, since that's just asking to be disappointed, like DICE was. =P A lot of it comes down to how much you like sci-fi westerns (though it doesn't throw around a lot of sci-fi jargen, thankfully), Jazz, and the various eras of American history, such as the Old West, The Great Depression, and the 70's and 80's.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:36:58 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: July 24, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »

In chapter 6 of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Enjoying this a bit more that I would have excpected. Dunno if I'll see it until the end but so far is good stuff.

I also saw the Fist of the North Star movie (the one from 1986) and is a great, entertaining from the beginning until the end. Though, since I haven't read the manga and only watched a couple of episodes and scenes of the anime online I don't really know how this series ends. But the movie at least doesn't really ends it just stops... like, there's a big awesome battle and then Lynn (the loli of the series) comes in and say:

Stop all this killing... please? :3

And after that the movie ends with a montage of Kenshiro looking all badass walking in the desert hallucinating about Julia with nice music in the background, or something. It seems that the English dubbed version took some pretty big liberties with the script to make the movie more self-contained (not to mention the acting is kinda "blah" but it gets the work done).

But seriously, is a good movie if you are want to see some ridiculous post-apocaliptic action with muscle heads and a ton of drama.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

We all told you to avoid it, Klyde!  Why ask for advice if you're going to ignore it...

Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: July 24, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »

I do know one person who loves Familiar of Zero (and no, not me)....and she seriously loves it....on a whim I started Gosick...it's...interesting so far...

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: July 24, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »

Season 1 is ok
Season 2 is average
Season 3 is complete junk
Season 4 is bad

The biggest problem of the serie is that each episode is either hit or miss.
I still remember the staff of destruction episode and the final battle of season 2... those are the really good ones.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: July 25, 2012, 03:01:14 AM »

We all told you to avoid it, Klyde!  Why ask for advice if you're going to ignore it...
I didn't try to avoid it... I already had bought it (the familiar of zero f) had it sitting on the shelf.... I searched high and low for Legend of the Galactic Heroes only to discover I"m not gonna find it in english on account of it was never released stateside... You guys informed me of what I needed to know that A. Fairy Tail was waaaay shonen-esque and B. Ragnarok didn't leave any impression on anyone worth telling me about.... process of elimination means while waiting for Gokudo (can't find it locally, must order it, thank you BTW Mickeyman) I had to watch something and Familar was my only choice in the fantasy genre....

If I've already got something on the shelf I'm eventually gonna check it out, no matter how many people tell me it sucks-LoL.....

And let me say... it sucks enough that while waiting for Gokudo, I'm now considerring cowboy bebop, case closed and lupin the 3rd (hence my last question) while waiting for Gokudo.....

Believe me when you guys say check out something. I listen.

The best thing I saw this year was "Now and Then, Here and There" at the suggestion of bytor.... that was something I NEVER would have looked into if it were not for his guidance.

Likewise on LotGH on your part..... but I can't do fan subs.... so on that note, throw me a few other titles I can get in english Kevadu... just name some stuff you really liked, I'd love to sample it :)

I devour anime BTW.... It isn't odd for me to burn through 3-4 seasons worth of watching a week, which is why while waiting for Gokuden I need something.....

But lastly I would just like to say I humbly apologize if it seemed as though the advice fell on deaf ears... such was not the case...

EDIT: Before anyone asks how I manage to watch so much anime, I have it on all day when I work... usually the less heavy stuff... The series I really need to pay attention to I save and watch at night before bed post game session and in the morning while drinking far too much black coffee for my own good.... yes, that is correct... for the most part, I always have a game or anime on during my waking hours..... disturbing isn't it?

also....

@bytor: Awesome choice with Gosick..... I loved that one by the end.... it has a freakin' awesome soundtrack too :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:08:07 AM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 191 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: