Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 265962 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

Well I did suggest Moribito, which you don't even have to buy, it's on Crunchyroll.

In a similar vein of LoGH, but a little more character-focused (rather that galactic politics...) there's Crest of the Stars (and its sequel series Banner of the Stars).  But it's also a little more tech-heavy so I'm not sure how you feel about that.  It's a great show, though.  And it is actually available.

BTW, I normally steer clear of fansubs, and I'm actually in the process of trying to legally purchase anything I had ever watched in fansub form in the past.  But for something like LoGH, well...it's been around a while, it's kind of obscure, and it's pretty likely that it's never going to get picked up at this point, ever.  But it's just too good of a show to ignore...

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: July 26, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »

Well I did suggest Moribito, which you don't even have to buy, it's on Crunchyroll.

In a similar vein of LoGH, but a little more character-focused (rather that galactic politics...) there's Crest of the Stars (and its sequel series Banner of the Stars).  But it's also a little more tech-heavy so I'm not sure how you feel about that.  It's a great show, though.  And it is actually available.

BTW, I normally steer clear of fansubs, and I'm actually in the process of trying to legally purchase anything I had ever watched in fansub form in the past.  But for something like LoGH, well...it's been around a while, it's kind of obscure, and it's pretty likely that it's never going to get picked up at this point, ever.  But it's just too good of a show to ignore...

Actually I totally did forget about Moribito.... I will check that out without a doubt (looks like something I'll really enjoy!!) I just gotta get the dub... no matter how bad a dub, I'll always take it over the subs.... I can't put it on while I'm drawing otherwise.... well I can, I just don't know when to look up and check out what is happening-LoL

I sample a lot on crunchyroll though.... Plus its great for the ones I can't get dubbed (obviously) but still want to see.

As far as fansubs go, I've no problem with them beyond the fact that they are subs not dubs. I don't even think its illegal to download stuff that isn't licensed in your region.... to be honest I don't know really... the legality of downloading is not something I'm particularly versed about. Either way though, I say get your anime however you can..... the downloading just scares me personally because I've been in a lot of trouble in my life... I don't even j-walk these days-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: July 27, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

Watched until chapter 7 so far of Sankarea, pretty unique and strange series.

This might be the only anime I've seen until now with a main character obessioned so much with zombies that the idea of having a "zombie girlfriend" sound incredibly appealing to him, he knows that is not normal thing but he never really acts like an insane person. Weird fetishes aside he pretty much is your normal high school anime boy with a very peculiar hairstyle to say the least.

Then you have Dan'ichiro Sanka, the overprotective father of Rea Sanka that loves his daughter to the point of being creppy and ignoring his totally hot wife, Aria Sanka.

And the start of the show Rea Sanka, daughter of Dan'ichiro and Aria Sanka. Her life is pretty miserable thanks to her father, her mother seems to deeply hate her because of her she can't never find happiness in her life with his husband that is practically in love with his own daughter.

I haven't mentioned all the characters. Is not a huge cast really but everyone is well-developed enough to make them either interesting or likeable even if they are "broken characters" with issues.

That said, Babu is probably the most adorable cat I've ever seen.

There's a ton of fanservice and drama to keep everyone entertained but I don't see this series being for everyone, but if you're curious to give the series a chance watch at least until chapter 5 I say. After all, the anime is just 12 episodes long and there's also a OVA so there's no much commitment if you wanna watch the entire series.

After this maybe I see "Kazo no Kanojo X", a series that it seems to be about saliva and scissors... but I'm having seconds thoughts. How is this series that some call AnoHana by the way?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:57:12 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: July 27, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »

I liked Sankarea for pretty much the same reasons you said.  There are a lot of incredibly disfunctional people, but not in the usual anime trope kind of way.  The premise is really weird...but interesting.  It does end quite abruptly, though, but it pretty much had to.  The manga it's based on is only at like 30 chapters so the anime was rapidly catching up to it.  Honestly, when I first heard the anime announcement my immediate reaction was, "so soon?"  It's far from over and there aren't really distinct story arcs or anything, so the only other alternative for the anime would have been to make up their own ending.  And I hate it when they do that.

AnoHana is great.  Starts slow, but it's a real tear-jerker.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:26 PM »

I always try to evade tear-jerked animes. But I'm going to make an exception this time, I don't even know the premise of the series so better watch the entire thing like that after I finish Sankarea.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: July 28, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »

I gotta rewind a few posts here.... I made a boo-boo (as I am so prone, to so often do....)... I must change my stance on the whole Fate/Stay Night deal... I gave another few episodes a shot and made it to 10.... I can't really put my finger on what escalated and gripped me but I'm enticed enough to keep watching... Its proving faaaaar better then my initial impression....

I also have been indulging Panty Stocking and Garterbelt.... and I don't know why, as I feel like this may rot my brain faster then american televsion and it is NOT in ANY sense typical of my taste....  For anyone into racy "mind in the gutter" slapstick type of stuff though, this is the ticket....

Lastly Lupin the 3rd.... once again nothing like anything I've ever really appreciated (i hate comedy)... but this series freakin' rocks for a quick no brainer ep of something you don't really need to pay attention to in order to enjoy. This series oozes early 90's goodness... I wish more of it was in english though...

That is all for now.... still on deck is Moribito and Gokudo... plus I'm thinking I'm gonna check out the Tales of Vesperia flick it the not so distant future as well...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »

Klyde...good call on Gosick, @half way through and so far I am really enjoying this, it's a fun romp. Just started Demon King Daimao and after 2 episodes I am not a big fan of the fanservice but so far it is somewhat amusing, we'll see....

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1582 on: July 29, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

Goddamn Deadman Wonderland is both fucking retarded and predictable as all hell.

Continuing from the charge of the dumb brigade from last episode, it wasn't the fact that the huge steel door to the conveniently placed furnace nearly got blasted off its hinges that clued them into the fact that they were set up the bomb, it wasn't the fact that the treacherous snake that set them up the bomb literally barged into their Happy Tree Friends clubhouse and demanded to know which idiot managed to put 2 and 2 together (hint: none of them did), it took a show of force to spell it out to team chucklefuck that something was amiss. I'm honestly surprised that the traitor didn't need to whip up a powerpoint presentation to describe what a bomb is and why its bad for you (I would've forgiven the show right then and there if he had since you'd know that it was only being ironically stupid instead of it being literally so). And of course the MC was the very last horse to cross the finish line which means that next episode will be him unburning some bridges between himself and the only competent character in the show thus far (ahahahaha no, he caught a glimpse of an ensuing midseason upgrade that naturally invalidated the villains latest means of invalidating the main character's powers so he'll be too busy pursuing that rather than owning up to his incompetence, his stupidity, or even his immaturity).

Oh, and Captain Stupid is still alive and currently being turned to the darkside (figured that he was going to survive somehow the moment he lost his arm) since he apparently has the same powerlevel as the guy who demonstrated the midseason upgrade (despite the fact that he might have wanted to use said power last episode when it might of saved a few of his porkchops instead of forgetting even how to dodge for most of it), which is great for the dumb brigade since they can't function without him beyond carrying on with the exact same plan as before (though with slightly less bomb and traitor this time) even though all signs still point to massive conspiracy that the authorities are a part of and running to them isn't going to accomplish a thing aside from raising the body count. :downs:

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1583 on: July 29, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »

So why do you keep watching it, Aeolus?

I had a pretty low impression of Deadman Wonderland from the start and gave up after one episode.  I guess it's nice to have you confirming all my fears but I have to wonder why you're still putting up with it.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1584 on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »

So why do you keep watching it, Aeolus?

I had a pretty low impression of Deadman Wonderland from the start and gave up after one episode.  I guess it's nice to have you confirming all my fears but I have to wonder why you're still putting up with it.

Because I spent the episode laughing my ass off. The show at least called the dumb brigade out on their stupidity and it really is about watching the protagonists suffer from their terminal cases of stupidity while living (and dying) in a world literally out to piss in their cereal. Also because it's amusing to watch the MC be both king stupid and almost completely get away with it scot-free due to the sheer power of his protagonism.

Plus I've been somewhat on a terrible anime kick lately with shows like this and Sci Fi Harry which looks like The Boondocks but on a shoestring budget that was almost entirely blown on the OP and is unironically or comically about psychic Japanese people trying and failing miserably to pass as American instead of the ironic/comic look at the African American role in today's society in the US.

Now all I need right now is a trashy Harem series to complete the unholy trinity of awful anime (bonus points if its a Harem Fighter).

(But seriously, you're a better man than I for ditching this show as soon as you did. It is in no way good unless you're in it to see how ludicrously over the top it goes in ludicrous gibs.)

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:38 AM »

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita   1-3 weird....  it is like an acid trip that progressively gets weirder and weirder

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1586 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »

Sword Art Online -- EP01

AKA: .hack// with more fighting (the premise is nearly identical, but extends to the fact *everyone* can't logout, attempts to due so kill a user playing the game, and also death in-game results in real death).

I do like how it tells it like it is; half the girls in the game are actually dudes (I'm sure that won't stop our lead hero from getting a harem of his own anyways).

I hate the art style, but it's good to see a concept as cool as .hack// was but a bit more about the "game" aspect for an online MMO.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon S2 broke some kind of record by having the main protagonist stay naked for an entire 3 episodes.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1588 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

(the premise is nearly identical, but extends to the fact *everyone* can't logout, attempts to due so kill a user playing the game, and also death in-game results in real death).

I'm picturing a show about a MMO where nobody leaves town. Ever.

It lasts 200 episodes.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1589 on: July 31, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »

Sword Art Online -- EP01

AKA: .hack// with more fighting (the premise is nearly identical, but extends to the fact *everyone* can't logout, attempts to due so kill a user playing the game, and also death in-game results in real death).

This give the word "permadeath" a whole new meaning!
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: