Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327559 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 264162 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1590 on: July 31, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »

(the premise is nearly identical, but extends to the fact *everyone* can't logout, attempts to due so kill a user playing the game, and also death in-game results in real death).

I'm picturing a show about a MMO where nobody leaves town. Ever.

It lasts 200 episodes.

The story is pretty well thought out, actually.  There are quite a few people who never leave town.  However they're also told that the only way they'll be released is if they beat the boss on the 100th floor of this tower, so there's motivation for people to do something more than just sit around.  Not to mention that spending the entire time in town is going to get old fast.  Don't underestimate the power of boredom.  Even real life carries risks, but people still go out and engage in potentially dangerous activities.

Really, I don't like comparing SOA to .hack, mainly because I love SOA but can't stand .hack.  In .hack they tried to justify the setting with a bunch of pseudo-mystical technobabble bullshit, but SOA is the way it is because it was designed that way.  It was designed that way by a psychopath who didn't exactly tell other people what he was planning, but hey.  It works.  That's just the setup, though.  The way the story develops is more Battle Royale than .hack.  It's about the people who are trapped in this death game struggling to overcome it.

Also, while SOA is only getting an anime now the first novel came out back in 2001, so you can't really claim it copied from .hack.  If anything it's the other way around.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: July 31, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

(the premise is nearly identical, but extends to the fact *everyone* can't logout, attempts to due so kill a user playing the game, and also death in-game results in real death).

I'm picturing a show about a MMO where nobody leaves town. Ever.

It lasts 200 episodes.

The story is pretty well thought out, actually.  There are quite a few people who never leave town.  However they're also told that the only way they'll be released is if they beat the boss on the 100th floor of this tower, so there's motivation for people to do something more than just sit around.  Not to mention that spending the entire time in town is going to get old fast.  Don't underestimate the power of boredom.  Even real life carries risks, but people still go out and engage in potentially dangerous activities.

Really, I don't like comparing SOA to .hack, mainly because I love SOA but can't stand .hack.  In .hack they tried to justify the setting with a bunch of pseudo-mystical technobabble bullshit, but SOA is the way it is because it was designed that way.  It was designed that way by a psychopath who didn't exactly tell other people what he was planning, but hey.  It works.  That's just the setup, though.  The way the story develops is more Battle Royale than .hack.  It's about the people who are trapped in this death game struggling to overcome it.

Also, while SOA is only getting an anime now the first novel came out back in 2001, so you can't really claim it copied from .hack.  If anything it's the other way around.
Do they ever tell in the novels how the people's actual bodies survive while their mind is stuck in the MMO?
I would think things like food,water, and atrophy of the muscles would be a major problem.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1592 on: August 01, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »

Do they ever tell in the novels how the people's actual bodies survive while their mind is stuck in the MMO?
I would think things like food,water, and atrophy of the muscles would be a major problem.

Yes, they're given a window to have their bodies transferred to hospitals.  The nervegear has its own battery so it's set to fry their brains if they try to remove it or if they're not reconnected to the game within a short period of time.  Once hospitalized they've basically treated like any other comatose patients (IVs and the like).  Obviously muscle atrophy is an issue but it's not going to affect them in the game.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1593 on: August 01, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

The nervegear has its own battery so it's set to fry their brains if they try to remove it or if they're not reconnected to the game within a short period of time.

In retrospect, an off-the-counter device that connects to people's nervous systems sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: August 02, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »

The nervegear has its own battery so it's set to fry their brains if they try to remove it or if they're not reconnected to the game within a short period of time.

In retrospect, an off-the-counter device that connects to people's nervous systems sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. =P

I giggled. xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1595 on: August 02, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

It's covered in the EULA.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »

SAO sounds like an anime I might enjoy, I'll check it out. I actually really love .hack myself for the characters and whatnot.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: August 10, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »

AnoHana is great.  Starts slow, but it's a real tear-jerker.

Cannot thank you enough for this. Five episodes in and I absolutely adore this show!

Everything's Eventual
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1598 on: August 11, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

Just ended up buying Utawarerumono (yes, I did have to look at the box to spell that). I can't remember if I watched any of this before or not (I keep confusing it with a bunch of unrelated shows), but I'm hoping it turns out well.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1599 on: August 12, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

So how many episodes did Deadman Wonderland last because if it went on for more than 13 episodes then I've got to lol at Toonami dropping the sucker for Samurai Seven (and Eureka Elrecca Seven but I'm willing to attribute that to whatever else they've decided to dump to make room for that).

If it didn't then I've got to lol at Japan's anime industry displaying some loving standards for once.

And on that note, I'm actually tempted to rewatch E7 again just for the sake of having a blast from the past, but goddamn does the prospect of having to slog through 50+ episodes of some really glacial plotting turn me off from that (I could hover around until Charles shows up then watch until the Gekko undergoes repairs which I can skip watching completely for a month or so then resume til the end).

Meanwhile it's also been years since I last watched Samurai Seven and I didn't finish it back then due to being fairly unimpressed by it so I'm none too sure I want to try again.

(Ironically, I think its been seven years since I last watched these shows :v:).

As for DW itself, the only thing surprising about it was just how hard it was for some characters to die despite the ludicrous gibs this show indulges in like a Shonen series trying to pass itself off as a Seinen series. Otherwise the arc ended with the usual MC gets owned, MC is saved by resident badass, MC undergoes a training montage, MC uses his new powers to better trash some mooks, MC still gets owned by the arc's boss, cutscenes kick in and side characters use power of friendship to briefly convert one of the bosses into a friend who strikes a minor blow against the arc's boss before getting owned (or in this case fatally wounded again), MC has an epiphany and goes Super Sayin', MC oneshots the arc's boss with an attack that he won't be able to control until the next epiphany during the next boss fight (and will be rendered completely worthless immediately afterwords), and that's all she wrote folks.

Fake Edit: On second thought, I'm probably going to skip Samurai Seven. I've seen the actual Seven Samurai movie so I already know what happens, furthermore I was pretty unimpressed by the whole mecha ascetic, plus it came from Gonzo Studio which means I can almost guarantee you the ending will suck.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »

Fake Edit: On second thought, I'm probably going to skip Samurai Seven. I've seen the actual Seven Samurai movie so I already know what happens, furthermore I was pretty unimpressed by the whole mecha ascetic, plus it came from Gonzo Studio which means I can almost guarantee you the ending will suck.

You sure about that? I've seen some trailers and AMVs of Samurai 7, and it doesn't seem to be at all like the movie...though maybe I just don't remember the movie very well...

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1601 on: August 12, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »

Planetes
is the series I'm watching right now
and it is really good
that is all
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1602 on: August 12, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »

Planetes is flat out one of the best ever, period...IMHO of course

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1603 on: August 13, 2012, 01:43:20 AM »

You sure about that? I've seen some trailers and AMVs of Samurai 7, and it doesn't seem to be at all like the movie...though maybe I just don't remember the movie very well...

Yeah, I remember it having a dystopian SciFi setting which leads to the silly conspicuous CGI giant robot bandits and they added some court based shenanigans as well but the general premise is still the same 'Japan's take of the Battle of the Alamo except replace the Mexican Army with a legion of bandits, the Alamo to a dirt poor village of dirt farmers, and the outcome from lost valiantly to held at a price of every recruited samurai save for the young one and the two old ones' except now you add giant robots and copious amounts of anime to the mix. If the ending was different from that then it was probably for the worse.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1604 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »

Muv-Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse

Per episode opinion

Episode 1 - Hmmm this could be good
Episode 2 - This rocks
Episode 3 - Wait what?
Episode 4 - Ok, still doesn't seem that bad
Episode 5 - Some guy in search of his inner Japanese with mechs... the heck?
Episode 6 - Oh wait nope... went straight to harem anime with sad excuse of mechs
Episode 7 - Yeah love comedy bla bla bla tsun tsun *drop*
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: