Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:39:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332936 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 281090 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

Muv-Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse

Per episode opinion

Episode 1 - Hmmm this could be good
Episode 2 - This rocks
Episode 3 - Wait what?
Episode 4 - Ok, still doesn't seem that bad
Episode 5 - Some guy in search of his inner Japanese with mechs... the heck?
Episode 6 - Oh wait nope... went straight to harem anime with sad excuse of mechs
Episode 7 - Yeah love comedy bla bla bla tsun tsun *drop*

Yikes? xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: August 25, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »

Yeah, Muv-Luv looked very promising for a while, but I ended up dropping it. Hoping it ends better than its looking, but I'll live if it doesn't. Just wish there were more good modern Mecha. Guess I'll just have to wait for more Code Geass OVAs and Gundam UC. Just one more month until Gundam Age ends, hoping Gundam Origins starts soon after.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »

Finished Crest of the Stars a couple of days ago. It was good but I didn't think it was as good as some reviews I have read to be honest, but maybe after AnoHana I was simply underwhelmed, because I found it to be simply incredible to say the least!

Everything's Eventual
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »

I always heard Banner of the Stars was better than Crest, at least from fans. I kinda stopped reading anime reviews a long time ago. I almost never agree with any of the ones I find (except for that one Gundam X review on Nihon Reviews).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34:07 AM »

Depends what you like, I guess.  Crest is smaller scale and very character-focused.  It's pretty much just setting the stage for the events that follow.  Banner goes larger scale, more politicy, and is much more of a war story.  Personally I love that sort of stuff, but I also know people who hate Banner because they claim it's all people staring at radar screens and counting backwards from 10 (admittedly there's a lot of that).

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

I prefer larger scale stuff when it comes to Sci-fi, I think. I'd probably like Banners more.

It's hard to tell how good L-Gaim might be, when the only ones who have seen the show in its entirety are the guys on /m/Subs, the ones who are translating the show, and they can't stop insulting every show they do a release of. (Granted, it is 4Chan. I went back to /m/ for the first time in over a year, and I was ready to cry in about 5 seconds flat, no exaggeration)

Oh well, at least now they're almost done with both Braigar and L-Gaim, and once those are done, hopefully they can focus on Layzner, which has finally passed the 2/3 mark - only 11 more episodes left to go. Once that's fully subbed, all 4 of Ryosuke Takahashi's old school mecha anime will be in English, and I can watch them all at my leisure (Read: marathon them all at break-neck speed).

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »

Started Level E. Finally, an anime that doesn't totally suck shit these days.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: August 27, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

I've talked bad about modern anime before, but as far as I can tell, there's still plenty of good shows out there, it's just, well, tougher to make out which ones those are when you don't have the luxury of retrospect. I watch anime from modern, all the way though to the early '80s, so that gives me about 30 years to sort through. It sure seems like a lot, but when I break it down by year, albeit just out of what I've seen, it's actually only 3-6 good shows per year on average, with a few really good years thrown in here and there (1997 was a good year, for instance).

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: August 28, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

I've talked bad about modern anime before, but as far as I can tell, there's still plenty of good shows out there, it's just, well, tougher to make out which ones those are when you don't have the luxury of retrospect. I watch anime from modern, all the way though to the early '80s, so that gives me about 30 years to sort through. It sure seems like a lot, but when I break it down by year, albeit just out of what I've seen, it's actually only 3-6 good shows per year on average, with a few really good years thrown in here and there (1997 was a good year, for instance).

Although it doesn't really help your case that it was originally written and nearly became an anime back in the mid-late 90s.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Although it doesn't really help your case that it was originally written and nearly became an anime back in the mid-late 90s.

You obviously missed my point, which was that there are about as many good shows back then as there are now. Level E is but one example of that. Off the top of my head, since 2010 there have been SKET Dance, Tiger X Bunny, Hunter X Hunter, Madoka Magica, Gundam UC, Fate-Zero, Saint Seiya Omega, Angel Beats, AnoHana, Star Driver, Kids on the Slope, Ano Natsu...and that's just from what little I've seen, and going by my somewhat limited tastes. Plus Level E, that already averages out to about 4 a year, and I haven't watched much from this year yet.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »

Yeah, there are still good anime out there, but the early 2000s was really the end of there constantly being quite a few good anime out every season. In the past five years, instead of "hey, what was good in the fall or spring?" I have to ask "hey, is there any anime from 20xx worth a fuck?" The anime industry has been catering to the otaku too much. Most otaku have the same taste in anime that they had when they were younger, but at 22 years old, I don't want to see an anime full of fanservice where the girls look like they're 12.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »

If you want something good then watch the True End of the Persona 4 anime.

Watching it made me ponder something though; why does Igor want to summon THE WORLD so much and so many?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: August 29, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »

Yeah, there are still good anime out there, but the early 2000s was really the end of there constantly being quite a few good anime out every season. In the past five years, instead of "hey, what was good in the fall or spring?" I have to ask "hey, is there any anime from 20xx worth a fuck?" The anime industry has been catering to the otaku too much. Most otaku have the same taste in anime that they had when they were younger, but at 22 years old, I don't want to see an anime full of fanservice where the girls look like they're 12.

You are deluding yourself either with nostalgia or the fact that in the early 2000s most people weren't directly following the release seasons in Japan (it was the anime boom when lots of companies were going back to license old works so releases were covering many years at once).  As Mickeymac said there are lot's of good shows today and there really weren't any more good shows in the past.  Don't forget Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is crap.  But there's still that other 10%.

If you want to know what's good in a particular season you do have to actually put some effort in, but that's always been true.  Here are some examples:

Current Season: I would recommend Kokoro Connect and Sword Art Online, though it has admittedly been a weak season.
Spring 2012:  Fate/Zero, Kids on the Slope, and Nyaruko-san were all great (and all very different).
Winter 2012:  Natsume Yuujinchou Shi, Another, Ano Natsu de Matteru
Fall 2011: Fate/Zero (first half), Bakuman S2, Chihayafuru

Need I go on?  I've also been watching Sket Dance this whole time (it's the only long show I follow anymore, being a pure comedy avoids the ridiculously-drawn-out-fight problem).  Not a single show I listed is particularly fanservicey, and the only one that's really fits the otaku stereotype is Nyaruko, but it's a comedy that's not afraid to poke some fun at it's own audience. 

I seriously have to wonder if people claiming that there's no anime worth watching have actually looked...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: August 29, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »

I seriously have to wonder if people claiming that there's no anime worth watching have actually looked...

Or they could have very limited tastes, but then that's their problem.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: August 29, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »

Chihayafuru

I know you listed it, but I'll ask anyway - is this good?  It's on my to watch list as it seems interesting, but the premise didn't exactly sound mindblowing.

Lately, been watching the BR of Shakugan no Shana.  Enjoying it for the most part.  Don't like the fanservice, but it has been really minor so far.  Curious to see how it goes.  BR price wasn't bad so I'm content. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: