Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:14:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330065 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 196 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 273213 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1695 on: October 11, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »

I posted that psycho pass gif in the Random Pics topic, so here's a fun follow up
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-10-11/psycho-pass-chief-director/word-moe-is-banned-among-staff

Curious about this show.  I'm a sucker for cyber punk in a phase that didn't leave me when we left the 90s.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1696 on: October 12, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »

I don't know much about Motohiro, but Gen Urobuchi is reason enough to watch the show as far as I'm concerned.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1697 on: October 13, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »

Psycho-Pass sound like those kind of series that end up drowning in their own ambition. I'll see if I give it a try anyway but I'm really not feeling this series.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1698 on: October 13, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »

Psycho-Pass sound like those kind of series that end up drowning in their own ambition. I'll see if I give it a try anyway but I'm really not feeling this series.

Yeah...  I watched the first episode, and while a pretty cool and unique concept, it's got flaws that may likely drown it before it's even over.  Something about the Minority Report vibe ain't doing it for me when it's easy to see the flaws of the system from the get-go.  Is it to be assumed that a victim can turn hostile that quickly and had to be taken in and/or killed for it?  Hmm, "pretty crazy" works however you wanna think it --- it's a cool idea, but clearly flawed and may dumb down the show.  But given that little snippet at the beginning of things to come, maybe we'll be treading other territory.
The main chick looks stupid too. >=(
Nitpick.

I finished Hyouka.  It would have had the BEST ending for an anime series, but decided not to go that route and put our hero's words left in his head, because Japanese people can't speak their true feelings, and when they do, it takes 25 episodes for them to do it (Hyouka being only 22).

New ep of Shinsekai Yori (From the New World). 
Surprisingly good series, I love the world they've built up even if it is just pure fiction, and I really look forward to what they're building up towards.  Clearly all things aren't good in their Eden, and there is a shitty history behind it all.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1699 on: October 13, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012): Dio is a motherfucker.

That's the summary of the 1st episode of JoJo's, I'm not kidding. Every single minute is used the best that it can and it succeed in getting you into the story, which is pretty impressive after seeing other series that have way too much exposition and not enough action to back it up.

This almost caught me off guard because I didn't expected to be so good since I got so bored with the OVAs of JoJo's that I checked (and dropped) by curiosity previously.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1700 on: October 13, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »

I never bothered looking at the Jojo OVAs, they didn't look very good to me.

The manga is fantasic though, and this new anime is pretty awesome so far
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1701 on: October 13, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

I just found out that Armored Trooper Votoms has been in America since 2006. I thought that was released here before. The first 3 sets are very cheap, but the last set seems to be impossible to get ahold of.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1702 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

This time last year when I was feeling a little "halloweenie" I picked up the "Soul Eater" series.... a few eps in I gave up..... At the suggestion of a client of mine I decided to give it another go.... Now 24 episodes in I feel so obligated to finish yet I gotta say... This series is really bugging me.... I've found a few characters to have some real personality which is a plus (I really get a kick out of Kid's symetry obsession as I suffer a similar complex with my artwork-LoL) but not redeeming enough for me to give this one a thumbs up.... maybe something cool will happen in the 2nd half of the series...? Like, the characters possibly stop narrating their battle strategies in between cheesy one-liners and special-move-battle-cries.... That would be freakin' awesome....

On the other hand I'm also watching Requiem from the Darkness. I usually don't dig the episodic stuff as much, but some of these are pretty twisted!! I really don't like the art direction though-big drawback for me.....

Last, and certainly least, I checked out Ghost Stories in my search for more seasonally appropriate viewing..... This was so bad I don't even know what to say...From what I understand there was a re-release called Ghost School (or something like that) with a far better dub.... As for Ghost Stories, I have nothing at all good to say about it.... period.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1703 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:42 AM »

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), Episode 2: As good as the first episode. Think I'll be following this series for a while.

Code Geass — Nunnally in Wonderland: Is kind of a waste of time even if you are into Code Geass. Is a short story in where everyone just has fun being random, and there also a good bunch of fanservice.

That's it really.

Casshern Sins: Now Casshern... I never finished watching this when it was first by aired in Japan and dropped the series after the 4th episode. I got the entire series to watch now and I'm in the 9th episode and, is funny, but I swear that almost every anime series I find interesting ends up being this depressing story where characters talk about death or something to that effect.

Here in Casshern the drama is so strong in each episode that it really becomes unbearable after while. What boggles my mind though is that this series is 24 episodes long while it could easily be shorter without losing anything in the process. I get why they are showing the lives of other robots and show how they deal with "The Ruin" but after seeing 9 episodes I think I'm gonna drop this... I read the summary of the other episodes in Wikipedia and the ending of this series seems to be one of those in where: "Well guess what, everyone dies. Deal with it." ...to not spoil much not everyone dies, but either way, I personally had enough of that depressing crap with anime so I'll just move on and ignore Casshern Sins completely.

TL;DR: Casshern Sins really is a good show with good battles, style and tons drama but this drama becomes unbearable after while.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1704 on: October 19, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »

What boggles my mind though is that this series is 24 episodes long while it could easily be shorter without losing anything in the process.

This seems to be the biggest complaint I hear about Casshern Sins. I really find it hard to watch a show that's stretched so much.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1705 on: October 19, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »

I made the mistake of watching the casshern live action flick before ever familiarizing myself with anything else casshern..... I never looked in that direction again..... maybe some people dig it, I really don't know.... but that movie certainly was not my cup of tea... no sir, not at all.....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1706 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

Last, and certainly least, I checked out Ghost Stories in my search for more seasonally appropriate viewing..... This was so bad I don't even know what to say...From what I understand there was a re-release called Ghost School (or something like that) with a far better dub.... As for Ghost Stories, I have nothing at all good to say about it.... period.

Far better dub in this sense means a total re-write. The people writing the dub were aware how bland and boring the original material was, so basically they threw the safety net of good taste out the window and came up with a script designed to make as much fun out of the show as possible. The humor is hit or miss, but I personally found it hilarious.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1707 on: October 20, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

Far better dub in this sense means a total re-write. The people writing the dub were aware how bland and boring the original material was, so basically they threw the safety net of good taste out the window and came up with a script designed to make as much fun out of the show as possible. The humor is hit or miss, but I personally found it hilarious.

Oops... then I made a boo-boo.... I guess the re-write/dub is what I saw and not the original.... in either case what I viewed was definately the humorous script.... I can see how someone could really dig this if it were in fact aligned with their taste... As for myself, I'm not a comedy fan to begin with.... This made me feel like I was watching some terrible western slapstick/toilet humor-cartoon..... Precisely the type of stuff that turns me off to western televsion and comedy in fact...

I'm not trying to cast stones at anyones particular taste.... People like what they like.... I will, however, hurl boulders at this show for baiting me with a "Ghost Story" and then hitting me with a tasteless wal-mart pop culture reference followed quickly (and possibly also preceded by) a fart joke.....

I watch anime to forget and avoid western media because I hate alot more of it then I like.... While watching this (brief as it was that I indulged it) I forgot how much I liked anime-LoL...... Even when I watch anime of genres that I really care nothing for, I can usually appreciate something by way of the aesthetics.... Not the case here....
----------
On a completely unrelated note, the latter half of soul eater has grown on me a bit.... I actually really began to like Death the Kid, Franken-Stein and Crona.... and almost even began to not completely want to shut the show off every time Black Star or Maka openned their mouths-LoL

I also just watched the 4 episode OVA of "Pet Shop of Horrors"... another oldy I never got to see.... wow... now this I really liked... I didn't think I could really get into anything in 4 eps, but this was freakin' cool.... The pet shop owner totally ranks as one of the most memorable creepo-characters I've seen to date. Loved it.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1708 on: October 20, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »

As for myself, I'm not a comedy fan to begin with....

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that. Half the appeal of Soul Eater, for instance, is its comedy, which is top-notch, IMO. Personally, I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to comedy, but I do look for it where I can and appreciate it when its done right.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1709 on: October 22, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »

You're Being Summoned, Azazel-san: Finished this one recently. I don't think this series has been officially brought over to America right? I ask because in the last episode God makes his debut in way that can be very offensive to a religious person... still, the way he was portrayed was interesting to say the least.

Either way I recommend this series even if is not for everyone but at least give it a try, is mainly comedy that at times makes fun of the Otaku and NEET culture and also has a tiny bit of drama. Only 13 episodes which are also very short too so that's a plus.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 196 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: