Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:35:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319070 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 242652 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: December 18, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

You went into Princess Tutu expecting Madoka Magica? WTF!?

I don't know where you got the impression that the two series were anything alike, but beyond the idea of subverting typical magical girl anime cliches they're nothing alike.

That's like going into Nanoha expecting a copy of either Madoka or Tutu instead of Super Magical Girls Wars, or going into DBZ expecting angsting teenaged ninja douchebags or an endless parade of "Now it is I who is behind you!" fighting of Naurto and Bleach respectfully instead of endlessly powering up and 'veet' fighting.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »

Thanks for the update, Klyde. I was mostly in it for the odd themes and, oddly enough, the dancing (wanted to see how that was worked into the action). Personally I wasn't disappointed in those areas, but I don't remember the characters being that good either. I remember liking the story, but that have been more do to the themes than anything else. Hope you find the second half more enjoyable, at least.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »

You went into Princess Tutu expecting Madoka Magica? WTF!?

I don't know where you got the impression that the two series were anything alike, but beyond the idea of subverting typical magical girl anime cliches they're nothing alike.

That's like going into Nanoha expecting a copy of either Madoka or Tutu instead of Super Magical Girls Wars, or going into DBZ expecting angsting teenaged ninja douchebags or an endless parade of "Now it is I who is behind you!" fighting of Naurto and Bleach respectfully instead of endlessly powering up and 'veet' fighting.

Its not my fault! I was taken with misleading user reviews like this.....

"Morwen

When Madoka Magica was first coming out, someone referred to it as the "next Princess Tutu." I scoffed a bit at the time--Tutu is my favorite anime and while I knew Madoka was good, I didn't think it'd be able to match up.

I was wrong! Both of these series take the typical Magical Girl formula that's been in place since Sailor Moon and create unique, often dark tales of fighting fate, and holding on to hope in the greatest depths of despair. They feature creative visuals and top-notch soundtracks to boot. While there's definitely some differences between the two--Madoka is a bit darker and violent than Tutu, and doesn't share Tutu's focus on classic fairytales, music and ballet--the overall feel of these series are very similar.

If you're a fan of either of these shows and haven't seen the other, go watch them right away. You'll love the other one. If you're a magical girl fan and haven't seen either, go see BOTH of these. I can't recommend these series enough.
" -Source: Anime Planet/ If you like suggestions...http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/princess-tutu

I'm striking out BAD most recently.... it seems like the only anime I've thoroughly enjoyed in quite some time are like 15 years old and just happen to be something I didn't catch yet (with the exception of a few)..... and the newest stuff I really enjoyed the most is all re-booted material (Berserk flik, hellsing OVA's most recently).... I know its me, not the anime.... I'm just making baaaad choices.....

Tutu happens to rank as the "2nd biggest media-mistake Klyde made in 2012"...... What warrants the number 1 spot you ask? Trying Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast for the the PS3 *shudder*

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: December 21, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »

Finished Hatenkou Yuugi earlier today, was a fun romp but I almost felt it didn't reach it's potential until the last couple of episodes.Decided to do Legend of Black Heaven next, hopefully not a bad choice, lol.

Everything's Eventual
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »

I liked Legend of Black Heaven, though it's not to everyone's tastes. Hope you enjoy it, though, Bytor.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: December 24, 2012, 01:33:42 AM »

So I just finished season 2 of Sword Art Online (SAO) and god did it suck.
A full 12 episode of suck.

Complete cardboard villain and magical god interventions plot powered bullshit stupid non-blood related sis-con NTR story.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: December 24, 2012, 01:42:25 AM »

Complete cardboard villain and magical god interventions plot powered bullshit stupid non-blood related sis-con NTR story.

I agree with everything you said except the NTR part.  Where the heck was there any NTR?

Honestly, when they first announced a SAO anime I had just assumed they were only going to do the Aincrad story.  There was plenty of material, lots of stuff they skipped or glossed over.  The Alfheim arc (which is easily the worst part of the whole series) was bad enough when I read it in book form, but somehow comes across even worse as an anime.  Just...why...

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: December 24, 2012, 01:59:04 AM »

True, it's not really NTR, rape is the better term for episode 24.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »

Glad I decided to skip it.  Honestly, I never even finished the first season.  Meh. 

Watched the first episodes of Accel World and Chihayafuru.  Accel World seems alright, but Chihayafuru definitely could be something interesting.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »

Mickeymac92, Legend of Black Heaven was fun, I LOVED the song at the end, would have loved to have heard that one more, lol. Now...let's see how Master Keaton is!

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: December 27, 2012, 01:48:01 AM »

I heard the Fairy world was the weakest of all of the SOA plots, but it's uphill from there.  The concept of the show is great, but seems to be dulled by really dumb plot decisions.  ...am I the only one to find the pretty hardcore relationship between Kirito and Asuna rather refreshing?  I kinda got sick of the romances that take 25 episodes to chronicle a first kiss (or worst case: a fucking hug). 

On that note:
I've been reading the Fushigi Yuugi manga.  I loved it when I was a kid and new into the world of anime that wasn't the stuff aired on North American cable.  Unfortunately, it's long, and dub VHS wasn't easy to find, so I dropped it.  I picked it up again for old time's sake and remembered everything I loved the first time.  It can get pretty hammy, but at least the series knows what it is and doesn't try to document how a couple took several volumes to fall in love.  Yuu Watase still manages to shock readers with the drama, and the action is great and the plot twists consistent.  The characters are widely enjoyable (I like how the main Suzaku warriors look charming and heroic while the villainous Seiryu warriors happen to just look so creepy/evil -- that's just *so* unfair; clearly being born into the bad guy territory makes you grow up to look like hell).  Definitely hitting up the Genbu series after (it's almost done too... so yaaay I won't have to wait for the next volume). 

I got the FMA manga.  I loved the anime (again, didn't finish), but -- as usual -- I hear the manga is better.  Drawn by a female....that kinda surprised me given the content (and honestly, I hate the shoujo manga style sometimes -- their eyes are like half of their fucking skull and with swollen lips.

On that note.  I skimmed through friends collection of Fruit's Basket manga... is it just me or does the art get WORSE as the series goes on??  It becomes really flat later on. =/

FINALLY
Watching Darker than Black.  It's really good, but edging on the last 5-6 episodes, I have a feeling a lot will go unexplained and many of its characters inexplicably missing if not dead (there's just too many characters for a 24 ep series).  I feel like it's really, really good, but a few key moments and plot points shy of being "legendary" or whatever.  I do like how they invest 2 episodes into a plot from what would otherwise be a single episode, makes it less rushed and gives you time to really get comfortable and familiar with everyone on screen.  The concept otherwise is fantastic; but the series seems to bite at more than what it can chew.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: December 27, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »

I got the FMA manga.  I loved the anime (again, didn't finish), but -- as usual -- I hear the manga is better.  Drawn by a female....that kinda surprised me given the content (and honestly, I hate the shoujo manga style sometimes -- their eyes are like half of their fucking skull and with swollen lips.

Oh something I can actually comment on!

I am of the firm opinion that the manga is the best version of FMA that exists. The second best being the FMA: Brotherhood anime. That opinion isn't universal though as there are people who prefer the original anime over the manga. I just find the big bad in the manga to be superior to Dante. Also I find the explanation for the seven deadly sins in the anime to not work within the world as it is established. The way to kill them being the worst part of the original anime's treatment of them. Also Hoenheim is awesome in the manga(don't recall him doing anything interesting in the anime).
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »

Oh something I can actually comment on!

I am of the firm opinion that the manga is the best version of FMA that exists. The second best being the FMA: Brotherhood anime. That opinion isn't universal though as there are people who prefer the original anime over the manga. I just find the big bad in the manga to be superior to Dante. Also I find the explanation for the seven deadly sins in the anime to not work within the world as it is established. The way to kill them being the worst part of the original anime's treatment of them. Also Hoenheim is awesome in the manga(don't recall him doing anything interesting in the anime).

He shows up at his wife's grave to pay his respects, gets punched out by Ed, he shows up at Dante's place to tell her as her former accomplice/lover the jig is up, gets tossed into a parallel dimension (WW1 Brittan), he plot dumps to Ed when he gets tossed into a parallel dimension including mentioning that Envy is his son and the Brothers' half brother, then he moves to Germany to join a cult, and finally dies like a chump in the movie by getting fed to Dragon Envy before both gets sacrificed to open a gateway to another dimension.

That said, the Manga is definitely worth reading since even FMA:B abridged a few things here and there, especially during the earlier chapters.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »

Why the fuck there are videos in YouTube of people watching Boku no Pico?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »

Why the fuck there are videos in YouTube of people watching Boku no Pico?

Because one guy did it and got semi-popular for it, so now everyone's trying to copy him to capitalize on his semi-success.

I mean yeah, it was funny once, at least. The rest, not so much.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: