Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334839 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 288811 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1935 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »

I don't even see your elipsis-abuse any more, Klyde. :P Got used to you.

Attack on Titan

Jesus Christ this comic is intense.  Are you reading it?  Why aren't you reading it???
The terribly grotesque nature of the story and plot features what is nothing short of psychologically frail human beings that make the plot and characters of Neon-Gen: Evangelion look like a bunch of pussies

That is a bold and enticing statement! Certainly enough to grab my attention. I will go and look into this "titans" and report back... and I'll do so with even LESS ellipses next time!! progress my friends.... progress...  :)

I won't lie, at first the frequent elipses drove me a bit nuts at first... [dot dot dot], but I got used to them, and I kinda like them.  It's like a Klyde-Trademark, a quality you just come to expect.  Nah, keep doing it.

And please give Attack on Titan a read!!  I'd love to gush with someone about it, then brag (or hate on it) here to get others interested!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1936 on: March 25, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »

yea Attack on Titan is really good.  looking forward to the anime coming up next month

only 2 episodes of Jojo left...
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1937 on: March 25, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »

Oh daaaaaaaaaaaamn, I didn't realize this, but luckily I read it in a blog.

Psycho Pass last episode:

SPOILER, text and linked image

Code:
The new inspector girl:
http://arwynl.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/psycho-pass44-ep-22.jpg

Code:
Girl who's friend got killed by Ouryou Rikako (the corpse artist):
http://arwynl.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ouryourikako09-ep-7.jpg
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1938 on: March 25, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »

I totally didn't realize that
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1939 on: March 28, 2013, 01:39:02 AM »

The Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki

= Done by the fella who did "Girl who Lept Through Time" and "Summer Wars".  Thematically somewhat similar; emphasis on family and choosing your life path and doing what makes you happy.  Overall, Summer Wars took more liberties in storytelling with Wolf Children being slightly more pedestrian (though I can't pass the former for being a "remake" of sorts of a certain Digimon movie), and less of a deep plot than GWLTT... but the story is sincere, funny, heart-warming, and very sweet.
= Leave it to Japan to tell the tale of a single parent and her ....wolf children.
= on that note... Furries will probably love the fuck out of this flick.  One scene in particular, it's not sexual, but I'm 90% certain it leads to it. 
= The film is very cute.  The kids Ame and Yuki are sweet and believable as children (they're rambunctious yet shy, curious yet reserved), and become somewhat moodier as they grow up and learn about their "social lives" and the complexities of dealing with it as half-human, half-wolf beings.
= I loved how the children go in-and-out from being wolves and the issues poor mum has to deal with in keeping their secret.  There is a bit of awkwardness with regards to making them into "anime-wolves", especially when you see a "real wolf" animated with real-wolf eyes.
= Minor beef.  Yuki's hair changes colour for no apparent reason (or I missed it?) from auburn to black.  ...I guess she dyed it.  The third act drags during a forest scene that goes on a bit longer than necessary, and the villagers kind of get dropped off from the plot altogether.  But also the ending kinda ended on a " =/ oh" note.
Code:
I think it's great Ame and Yuki decided their own lives and decided in very different ways how they would do it: Yuki decides to live as a more-human girl and Ame as a wolf of the wild; but they both leave home as mum [u]lives alone[/u].  For a movie about family (especially with how Summer Wars took the point to an 11), I would have loved just a small epilogue of them coming back home or something just a bit more for all that was put into showing them grow up...Daresay, I was sad they left the nest, even if that was part of the point of the film.... they were so young to do so.  Ame decided to piss off by the age of 10, and Yuki went to middle-school dorms by 13 I guess.  Also, I wish there was one last scene about a brother/sister bond.  Their last major scene was them fighting. 
Bonus Round!!!!
= Major points to the Old Man in this film sounding like a Japanese version of Super Dave Osborne
= Also big points to our leading lady for dressing nicer to a class lecture when she was trying to impress a boy in class.  NOIHAVENTDONETHAT.... but actually...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:19:20 AM by Dice » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1940 on: March 30, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »

@Dice - Thank you for your thoughts on Wolf Children. I can't wait for that to hit DVD in the U.S. My yearly roullette of favorite animals seems to have landed on wolves this year, so I was ecstatic when I heard about this film. It looks cute and fun, and your words seem to confirm that it'll be something I'd enjoy.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1941 on: March 30, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »

In the words of Monty Python...."and now for something completely different"....I started Hakaba Kitarou today, and that is certainly something completely different, at least for me! Still LOVING Chihayafuru and almost done with Hourou Musuko (which I still cannot quite explain why I am so enthralled with it).

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1942 on: March 30, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »

May as well suggest a manga I've been liking a lot. "Centaur no Nayami" is by far the best serie I've ever seen about racism. I also like how deep and imaginative the author's world is.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1943 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »

So I just caught up on the last two episodes of Magi....and all I have to say from having watched it is....what? I don't know if anyone else on the site either reads the manga or watch the show, so my following rant may make no sense to anyone, but I need to vent so enjoy anyways. >.>

Code:
So we are currently in the middle of the Zagan arc which is one of my favorite arcs in the manga, and the anime is just comepletely messing this whole thing up. I realize that things have to change in the conversion from manga to anime. They have had some changes earlier in the series that I didn't mind (even if I thought it worked better in the original). The changes in this arc however have just completely destroyed it. I guess I did get an alright fight in one of the episodes I watched today, but everything else....ugh. By placing the "mentor battes" where they did they got rid of the emotional ties that those fights had in the manga. Having Ren lose his arm in the dungeon removes all of the guilt that he feels following the dungeon for nearly killing both Sinbad and Alibaba. And then there is Alibaba.....having Alibaba fall just misses the point of his character. He had already been in that exact situation once before, only with much stronger emotional ties to what was going on and rather than fall into depravity he saught a better solution for everyone. That is why he is Alladin's king choice. Having him fall into depraviy in this situation just misses the point of his character so badly. And the previews had Morgiana fighting fallen Alibaba next episode, which makes perfect sense considering she is supposed to be in near death conditions right now. Yeah I'm sure Zagan healed her but....ugh. I'm getting two potential vibes from this episode. Either a. this is the start of a FMA style split in the story from the source material(which would be a wonderful excuse for me to stop watching) or b. someone on the production staff has a hard on for Ren Hakuryuu and is altering the storyline to make Ren 100x more awesome in this arc since the person thought Red got a raw deal in this arc (which is sort of missing the point of both the arc and Ren). Potentially both. *sigh*

Ok rant over, you all can get back to talking about whatever else is on right now.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1944 on: March 31, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »

^ It's completely valid, nothing hurts when you love the source material only to hve things changed for the worse in, daresay, a more "exciting medium" like in the full sound and action of a TV production.

Kinda reminds me of an interesting take on my manga haps -- where the anime actually one-upped the manga source material:

Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden finale:
Code:
So, little known secret to those who read the original Suzaku series, and since the Genbu Saga is a PREQUEL, we know the heroine will die.  And she does -- quite tragically I might add.  Interestingly enough, the series finishes on the same note that the Byakko priestess met hers: she may have been separated from her one true love, but they "meet again in Heaven".  What's interesting is that the anime actually added that in, and Yuu Watase was pretty upset she didn't think of the same thing (where the couple were separated and simply lived out their lives).  So it's kind of funny that she chose to end the Genbu Saga the same way the anime wrapped up one of its other characters.  Essentially, she copied the idea from the anime based on an addition in her source material. o_O

Not that it's a bad thing, at least it provides some sort of "hope" to the readers and some end to not make it so tragic (and it fits in the "Watase-line of thinking").  Made a bitter-sweet ending a bit sweeter -- but I will say that knowing the ending beforehand made the manga a bit off-putting. =/

Dunno if anyone else reads Fushigi Yugi, but just a random aside:
I like the Suzaku Seven better... but Takiko is a better lead than Miaka.  Goddammit, ya just can't win.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1945 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »

I tried to read Fushugi Yuugi once...couldn't stand it.  The main girl (sorry, it's been a while, I don't remember their names...) spends all her time endlessly worring about whether or not some guy likes her (and doing stupid shit because of it) while the fate of the world is at stake.  Learn to prioritize, girl!

I'm actually more tolerant of shoujo stuff when it's pure romance for this reason.  Girls worrying about stupid shit is way less irritating when they're just boring high school students who don't have anything better to worry about.  That's just being human.  But when the shit starts going down you have to realize that it isn't actually that important.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1946 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »

Well folks normally I don't dig comedy (with some exceptions such as "The idiot adventures of Photon Earth") but after breaking my aversion to subtitles in recent weeks I decided to go back and watch "Humanity Has Declined" on CR.

Wow, I can't say enough good about the series. Highly entertaining. Albeit short, each episode was thoroughly enjoyable with the exception of one brief (but necessary) lull toward the end. It goes from funny, to charming, to clever, to damn-near brilliant very swiftly. It becomes confusing in a whacky sort of willy-wonka fashion but doesn't leave you in the dark long enough to feel lost, hasty to make sense of the insanity your bearing witness to. And the icing on the cake? The fairies in the series may very well be the cutest thing I have ever beheld in animation... seriously I want one of those little f****rs tattooed on me I liked em' so much.

And I have one more review...

Bear with me here... this could get longwinded...

Persona Trinity Souls... my official verdict... absolutely freakin' sucked... with a capital "SUCK"... worst thing I have watched in at least a year... take note of my ellipsis-relapse in trying to convey my disgust...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1947 on: April 01, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »

I watched Little Witch Academia, which is the result of a project meant to train new animators. It's generic if harmless, but everyone should watch it because damn, it's pretty.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1948 on: April 01, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »

I like the Suzaku Seven better... but Takiko is a better lead than Miaka.  Goddammit, ya just can't win.

I never finished Genbu Kaidan, but I agree with the Takiko vs. Miaka thing. From the few volumes I read, Takiko was leaps and bounds more compelling and capable than Miaka ever was. Of course, Miaka is one of my least favorite characters in any anime or manga, so I may be a little biased.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1949 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »

I liked Miaka enough, when she wasn't "pining".  She is a sweet and sincere girl, and I adore her eating habits, she was pretty humourous too.  But often she blew up problems in her head like... the worst type of women.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: