Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332888 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 280999 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2025 on: April 30, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »

Speaking of Attack on Titan.
http://youtu.be/PDHCLjuOzXY
I think I'd rather THIS be the opening visual for the song instead. xD

I posted that like two weeks ago in the Youtube thread, Dice.  Get with the program! ;)

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2026 on: April 30, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »

Speaking of Attack on Titan.
http://youtu.be/PDHCLjuOzXY
I think I'd rather THIS be the opening visual for the song instead. xD

I posted that like two weeks ago in the Youtube thread, Dice.  Get with the program! ;)

Yknow, i had the vague impression i saw it twice... just know I *DO* appreciate you as a man and digital online person.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2027 on: May 05, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »

So here's my thoughts on what I've been watching this season, not counting continuing series...wait, Chihayafuru is the only continuing series I'm watching.  It's Chihayafuru...there you go.

Attack on Titan - It's awesome, but I've probably talked enough about it already.

Gargantia on Verdurous Planet - I almost suffered mecha cliche overdose during the first episode, but thankfully that ended soon enough and I found out that this isn't really a mecha show.  Well, they're still there but it's more about the contact between people with massive technological and cultural differences and how they work them out.  It's pretty interesting.

The Devil is a Part-Timer - Though I'm still not sure exactly how far they can push this premise, but I've enjoyed it thus far.  Still, I have a nagging suspicion that it's going to get old...

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru - (Also know as, "I refuse to use Crunchyroll's mangling of the title because it sucks") I guess I should say that this was the biggest surprise for me this season, though I had actually heard good things about the light novels.  I just never read them myself.  I'm really enjoying the anime, though.  It's hard to really express what I like about it, just good characters and good writing I guess.  The lead character is definitely a change of pace.  He's smart and capable, just blatantly anti-social.  So surly and cynical...I love it ;)  It's also refreshing to see a romantic (Maybe?  Hasn't really been much of that yet...) comedy type show based on a light novel that's actually *gasp* not a harem.  In fact, amazingly enough there actually seem to be as many male characters as female characters!  (A lot of harem crap falls into the trap where the author simply doesn't write any male characters, and then I guess all the girls have to fall in love with the protagonist by default since he might as well be the only guy in the universe...)  Anyway, this is actually turning out to be one of my favorite shows this season.  Not as good as Attack on Titan, probably....but the genres are so different it's kind of hard to compare...

Muromi-san - I didn't expect much going into this, but surprisingly found it pretty damn funny.  In a totally bonkers, plot-less way, anyway.  If you're looking for a story or any kind of seriousness then go elsewhere.  This is one show I appreciate having half length episodes for because I don't think I could endure the craziness for a full half hour...

Hennoko - I'm still watching it, but this is probably the one on this list that I'm least enthusiastic about this season.  I don't know, the premise is interesting but the characters seem kind of flat.  It's not bad...but it doesn't really stand out to me either.

Sequel series:

Railgun 2 - It's more Railgun!

OreImo 2 - It's more OreImo!

Nyarko 2 - It's more Nyarko!

OK, that was pointless.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2028 on: May 05, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

After two episodes I think I remember why I gave zero fucks about IGPX back when it first came out on CN over a decade ago. There's very little Giant Robot NASCAR that happens in this show that's all about Giant Robot NASCAR and instead I got two episodes of this Takashii being a fuckwit teenager, and I'm sorry Optimus Prime, but you're just not enough to carry this entire show about characters with as much depth and nuance past their cliched archetypes as a single sheet of paper bisected in half horizontally and the occasional Giant Robot NASCAR.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2029 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:39 AM »

Currently watching Steins;Gate. Series is interesting. I think I made a mistake though in looking the game up on Wikipedia to see if I could find a summary of the alternate endings. I think I spoiled what the last half of the series is going to be like unfortunately. There is one thing that is bugging me about the series though.

Code:
So I just got to the episode where the part-time warrior went back in time successfully. What is bugging me is the way they went about doing it. The better solution (in my mind at least) would have been to send back, to shortly after she arrived, a text saying "Taru=dad, go to 1975 by (insert date)". She gets to know what she wants and is able to complete her mission. I realize it occurs this way because that is how it happened in the game, but it still bugs me because it shouldn't of had to have happened like that in the game either.

After two episodes I think I remember why I gave zero fucks about IGPX back when it first came out on CN over a decade ago. There's very little Giant Robot NASCAR that happens in this show that's all about Giant Robot NASCAR and instead I got two episodes of this Takashii being a fuckwit teenager, and I'm sorry Optimus Prime, but you're just not enough to carry this entire show about characters with as much depth and nuance past their cliched archetypes as a single sheet of paper bisected in half horizontally and the occasional Giant Robot NASCAR.

Oh IGPX.....the original version was so much more awesome. Why did they not keep that when they went for the full series? Giant robot melee between a scrappy bunch of underdogs and heavily over equipped veterans was so much better. Plus I enjoyed the fights, unlike the races. So much wasted potential. -_-
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2030 on: May 06, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »

You might want to read this when you are a bit later in the serie

It doesn't matter because the world line is a self-healing mechanism. No matter what they do, they will either never get the computer or lose it to SERN shortly after acquiring it.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2031 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »

You might want to read this when you are a bit later in the serie

spoilerz

Why did you post this? This has less to do with what he's talking about and more about spoilering things for the sake of it.

Anyway, to address what he's saying,

Code:
I'd say its a little of column: The Universe dicking Okabe over for the sake of it and a little of column: Okabe is an idiot savant. Even if it did ever occur to him to try to send a follow up update he'd run into yet another problem to cockblock his attempts at obtaining an IBM 5100. Besides, what kind of device can his Microwave O-Phone(temp) actually contact in that era, let alone Working Warrior having such a device and not A) breaking it, B) losing it, C) forgetting about it, D) getting some kind of random interference at the precise moment of message's target time, or E) keeling over before she acts upon the contents of the message?

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2032 on: May 06, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

It's a valid answer to his hypothetical question where I included a warning that he should wait until he his later in the serie to read as to not spoil it. I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

(are you using a color palette for the forum where you can read it without selecting the text??? Because as far as I know it's black text on a black background)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:12:07 PM by Annubis » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2033 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04:41 AM »

Why did you post this? This has less to do with what he's talking about and more about spoilering things for the sake of it.

Anyway, to address what he's saying,

Code:
I'd say its a little of column: The Universe dicking Okabe over for the sake of it and a little of column: Okabe is an idiot savant. Even if it did ever occur to him to try to send a follow up update he'd run into yet another problem to cockblock his attempts at obtaining an IBM 5100. Besides, what kind of device can his Microwave O-Phone(temp) actually contact in that era, let alone Working Warrior having such a device and not A) breaking it, B) losing it, C) forgetting about it, D) getting some kind of random interference at the precise moment of message's target time, or E) keeling over before she acts upon the contents of the message?
Code:
That era? I might of communicated what I meant a little bit wrong. I meant to send a text to her shortly after her arrival (and acquiring of a cell phone) in 2010, not 1975. So that she could spend some more time with him, know who her dad was, and still make it back in time. I can buy Okabe just never thinking of it I suppose.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2034 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

Suisei no Gargantia -- it's not really moving along, but the atmosphere is good and I feel relaxed watching.  I suppose the attitudes of the people is catching.  I expect a series like this to get all mecha/magical or something soon.  ...Well, I can't predict it, but I'll follow along.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2035 on: May 10, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »

Finished Steins;Gate in. I did like it overall, but some bits of it really bugged me.

Code:
My biggest problem is that I don't get how deleting that text was supposed to solve anything. I mean how many freaking D-mails did they send? None of those are even slightly suspicious to SERN? Why the heck is that specific one so "obvious" that it is a time travel text? And a better question, how does deleting it prevent anything? I thought SERN had already handed over complete control of their systems as a way to perfect the time travel....so SERN already knows who they are, so why does the email being deleted do anything? Shouldn't it just be a minor annoyance?

I also have to wonder why Kurisu(sp?) was so adamant against Time Travel in the alpha line but not in the beta line(and those names really should of been reversed). I assume part of it has to do with Part Time Warrior's U.S. postings in 2000 giving her father a better base line.....in which case the only reason WW3 happened in the first place was because she travelled back in time in the beta line.

Final rant, I really disliked the restore portion of the show because the main character was extremely conflicted about undoing most of the changes because that was hurting his friends. Yet he never tried to restore the IBN timeline without undoing their changes. I could understand if the timeline refused to be manipulated that subtly, but it bugged me that he was conflicted and didn't even make a token attempt to change things like texting,  "If you can't afford the ransom, then donate your IBN to shrine with instructions to take care of it until 2010..." or for the trap, "Let's hang out on New Year's Eve." (or whenever she broke.....which by the way was the lamest reason for needing to restore the timeline since there should be no connection between gender and all that). Actually this reminds me, why th heck did they need to pick up the IBN after he finished undoing everything? Shouldn't it have just been in the lab already....maybe I misunderstood that scene. *Shrug*

Actually one more thing, I found it really stupid when he said that he didn't have any special ability (with regard to his Reading Steiner) because clearly he was the only one who remembered this stuff and other people only remembered the alternate timelines after interacting with him....with one exception but that was through dreams.

Btw regarding the after credits preview scenes for the last episode, what was that for? A sequel show or something?
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2036 on: May 10, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

Watching Kaiba in what little free time I have, so far....I'm not sure whether to be blown away or blown to sleep...but I think the former...very interesting start.

Everything's Eventual
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2037 on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

I watched Evangelion 3.33 you can not redo this week.... what the hell man...

In typical Evangelion fashion, it makes little to no sense. That is OK... I expected that... what I DID NOT expect was a near-complete abandoning/departure from the plots cliffhanger at the end the 2nd film. The third film neither picks up where the last left off nor does it do a good job of really filling in any blanks for you. Forget the preview they gave at the end of film 2 post the credits, the creators clearly abandoned that altogether.

This film also "feels" far different. It embraces a waaay more grim and mature tone for better or worse.

I'm not saying it is entirely bad or without merit though. Visually the film is freakin' gorgeous. And I do like the plot direction that I was able to comprehend and correlate in connection to what has been laid down thus far. What I am saying however is that the 3rd Eva flick could not have been further from what I was expecting (or hoping) to see... I feel like it would have worked better as the start of an entirely new Eva story arc or series.

Poor Evangelion.... forever destined to fall apart and unravel in its final stages... no matter how many times writers and creators do in fact attempt a "re-do"

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2038 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »

Finished my three episode test of IGPX and yep, this show sucks. Dropped for hopefully more than a decade this time.

Finished Tenchi Muyo GPX and found that if it anything but the show itself took anything seriously for more than 5 minutes than the show would've sucked harder than a bad shonen (much like the first movie did).

Finished up the first season of the new Thundercats and feel that this show somehow got locked in suspended animation twenty years ago. It really feels like its up there with Pirates of Dark Water or SatAM Sonic in terms of plotting and writing quality. I just hope it doesn't end up like those two did.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2039 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

@Klyde Chroma: Expecting something from Evangelion is the dumbest thing anyone could do.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: