Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:51:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338580 Posts in 13859 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 297274 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2070 on: May 27, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

I remember the outcry of Gundam 00 when people thought one of the main pilots was a girl.
Too bad, I myself would have looked forward to that =/
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2071 on: May 27, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »

Code Geass is one of those shows I'll probably never watch again due to seeing it once and knowing exactly where that crazy train went.

It was one hell of a train though.

For all that went wrong with it, the moments when the series was good made all that mess worth it for a while (and the fanservice wasn't terrible either even if some of it was dumb in retrospective).
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2072 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »

I remember the outcry of Gundam 00 when people thought one of the main pilots was a girl.

I really hope this is something they do in a future Gundam series. It was pretty eyeroll-y in Gundam SEED when Flay was suggesting that she was gonna go pilot the Gundam and Kira's all like, "You can't do that, you're a girl!"
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2073 on: May 29, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »

I really hope this is something they do in a future Gundam series. It was pretty eyeroll-y in Gundam SEED when Flay was suggesting that she was gonna go pilot the Gundam and Kira's all like, "You can't do that, you're a girl!"

That's like expecting a game about random anime heroines to not star an original male lead. (That's not even the biggest crossover to date given a game based on Queen's Gate got made, let alone this thing.)

In short, its never going to happen. Even Turn A Gundam couldn't get away with a female lead and had to compromise with the male lead donning drag and occasionally going by the name Laura. The best thing you can hope for these days is a female to be allowed to pilot some kind of Gundam add-on accessory pack, an unarmed battleship, or for the occasional Gundam pilot to suddenly decide to be female today.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2074 on: May 29, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »

or for the occasional Gundam pilot to suddenly decide to be female today.

Space soldier Ramna?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2075 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »

the moments when the series was good

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2076 on: May 29, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »

^I never understood why Lelouch liked to make funny faces when he was evil or something.

Also, to this day I'm glad I never bothered with the 2nd season.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2077 on: May 29, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »

Been rewatching Code Geass myself. Watching the dub this time since I might as well mix it up. Been a few years but I still have the same problems I've had with the show as the first time I watched it. When it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad, it's really fucking bad.

I'm sort of curious, what are the parts that people consider to be "good" and the parts that people consider to be "bad". I've watched the series several times and I can't recall any parts that I particularly disliked beyond stuff like the giant pizza party episode. Perhaps I'm just too forgiving on series.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2078 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

That's like expecting a game about random anime heroines to not star an original male lead. (That's not even the biggest crossover to date given a game based on Queen's Gate got made, let alone this thing.)

In short, its never going to happen. Even Turn A Gundam couldn't get away with a female lead and had to compromise with the male lead donning drag and occasionally going by the name Laura. The best thing you can hope for these days is a female to be allowed to pilot some kind of Gundam add-on accessory pack, an unarmed battleship, or for the occasional Gundam pilot to suddenly decide to be female today.

You're crushing my dreams Aeolus. My dreams.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2079 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »

Tomboy heroine with strong supporting male cast?

Suisei no Gargantia again has been good.  It's been pretty far from a mecha and more an interesting slice of life sort of show (but not in the typical K-On slice of life....which is just complete dross 90% of the time)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2080 on: May 29, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »

^I never understood why Lelouch liked to make funny faces when he was evil or something.

It's actually photoshopped- it's a lot funnier when you know the original image and the context of why he was making that face. It's one of the few faces they bothered changing when they released the DVD so even they knew it was a pretty horrible face.

Also
it's
not
the
show
was
ever
subtle
about
anything.

I'm sort of curious, what are the parts that people consider to be "good" and the parts that people consider to be "bad". I've watched the series several times and I can't recall any parts that I particularly disliked beyond stuff like the giant pizza party episode. Perhaps I'm just too forgiving on series.

You're going to get highly varied responses since Code Geass is a pretty controversial show as far as that goes. Though, them exaggerating everything is possibly what made it so memorable in the first place- Zero's definitely a character I won't forget. For me, the second season was a lot worse than the first. The event that most people talk about when it comes to the first season is

Code:
The Euphinator/Euphenasia incident. There are two sides to this; some people think it makes sense if you see Code Geass as a grand tragedy and others think it's completely ridiculous. I fall into the latter.

Tonally it doesn't work at all, because nobody is going to take your grand tragedy story seriously if you stick it in between every single piece of pandering material that Code Geass had. Code Geass was pandering to basically every single fetishist out there in an attempt to get more views. I heard a metaphor that seemed apt; if you were falling from a plane and was going to be saved from hitting water instead of land thanks to TV physics, the difference between a show with proper tone and Code Geass is that a tragedy is where someone hit land just a couple feet from the edge of the water, whereas Code Geass had you hitting a 10-foot wide piece of land in the middle of the ocean that you couldn't see while you were falling.

Really, the incident was supposed to make me be horrified/cry/disgusted, but all it did for most people was make them laugh their ass off.

Plot-wise it makes little sense because it was basically a get-out-of jail free card for the writers/Lelouch. Instead of actually needing to think about how Lelouch and the Black Knights deal with the situation (There could've been any number of ways it spun out of control given the Emperor's general policy of social darwinism) it was just a way from getting from point A to point B in the plot in the fastest way possible. It's not completely impossible for the situation to occur but it's one of those situations where they stretched the viewer's suspension of disbelief really thin and it broke for a couple people. The questions people typically ask about the scene are "why would his geass go out of control that specific moment" and "why would he make such an unfunny joke to begin with aside from the sake of the plot" which is attempted to be excused by the whole "it's supposed to be tragic" thing, which doesn't for a lot of people as mentioned above.

I should say that despite that I watched the second season because while that situation was pretty ridiculous, I liked the rest of the show just fine past its tendency to go way over the top.

The second season had way more unintentionally funny scenes than the first, but I can think of three things that I found detrimental to my actual viewing of the show in R2:

Code:
The beginning of the whole entire season was apparently not intended by the director, but that doesn't really excuse what it ended up being. Given the cliffhanger of season 1 it's ridiculous to go back to more school hijinks which caused a lot of things that broke the stupid meter like making Sayako having a perfect Mission Impossible style mask that made her look like Lelouch. The idea that Charles had a Geass that implants fake memories (that's an awfully restrictive/plot-convienent power) is relate to the second point-

The whole entire story behind Geass and Charles/Marianne's intentions. First, their geass powers were created with specific plot-writing purposes in mind and were simply there for a "surprise" moment. It was pretty transparent this time in comparison to the Euphenator incident, because at least that had Mao to set the precedent of the geass going out of control. If it was what they planned all along they probably should've dropped more hints about Charles/Marianne's powers earlier in the series. I don't really tend to appreciate plot twists that are basically someone asking me to guess a number and the answer turned out to be "penis".

There's also this ridiculous shift in the focus of the show in the span of a single (or was it two?) episode(s). There's a massive infodump about what was going on the whole time as far as Charles/VV/Marianne's plans were concerned but instead of having something to do with the clash of real-life ideologies like the rest of the show had been about, it was a weird discussion of metaphysics that comes from nowhere and goes nowhere. Dropping a discussion like that into one or two episodes of a 50-episodes series doesn't work at all.

For the record this is coming from someone who liked the last two episodes of Evangelion- at least there it was apropos to talk about Shinji's insecurity and feeling of self-worth because it was present throughout the entire series. A discussion about the nature of what life is and what kind of limits we want to set on the "game" really has almost nothing to do with the rest of the show. If it was written properly maybe it would've worked, but it certainly didn't the way it was presented.

Finally the last thing that made no sense to me was the ending, or rather the entire course of the Zero Requiem. The first action Lelouch takes is geass-ing a large section of Britannia. Given how passionate he was about saying he thinks free will is a cool thing and all it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that that was the course that he ended up taking. Secondly the fact that he was just able to walk up to Britannia and take control like that is pretty ridiculous itself (If he was capable of doing something like that you think he would've done it a lot earlier). All things considered it wasn't really shown how Lelouch was in any way a worse ruler than his father, who was probably also perfectly okay with killing anybody that stood in his way.

The Zero Requiem really doesn't work in concept anyway. Many people compare it to the ending of Watchmen, but the reason the Watchmen ending worked (both the comic and the movie) was that the threat defined was something that was outside humanity, and it was a looming threat. The concept of something threatening the entirety of humanity with extinction causing people to come to compromises and work together is actually something believable (This was a genuine concern during the Manhattan Project for example). Leleouch, on the other hand, was just a typical tyrannical ruler, and the deaths of tyrannical rulers in gigantic empire usually just lead to more fractions, especially when you consider that Charles apparently had hundreds of successors.

The last thing I feel like mentioning is a lot more personal, but Nina is quite possibly the most annoying character that's ever been created and attempted to develop.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2081 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »

Been rewatching Code Geass myself. Watching the dub this time since I might as well mix it up. Been a few years but I still have the same problems I've had with the show as the first time I watched it. When it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad, it's really fucking bad.

I'm sort of curious, what are the parts that people consider to be "good"

Seriously, Lulu being the scene gobbling ham that he was is half the reason why I watched the show (the other half consisting of watching him nearly getting hoisted by his own petard before bullshitting his way out of it or failing spectacularly and watching him slink away while the fireworks fly) and what kept me watching even during the dumbass school episodes, anytime the Geass plot showed up in the second season, the China arc, and afterwords when everybody and their brother started getting midseason upgrades out the ass every episode.

In short, it's a lot like Death Note where you were watching it more for Kira's antics and crazy circuitous schemes than for anything else.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2082 on: May 29, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

You're going to get highly varied responses since Code Geass is a pretty controversial show as far as that goes. Though, them exaggerating everything is possibly what made it so memorable in the first place- Zero's definitely a character I won't forget. For me, the second season was a lot worse than the first.

I watched about 14 episodes of the season 2 and I just couldn't bear it anymore.  I just wasn't liking it anymore after LOVING the first season.

Also, I love how exaggerated things are in the series and Japanese anime/games in general.  People can overact their lines all day and I'm good with it unless it borders into the realm of stupidity without meaning to do so.  Between that and I'm half decent at the language itself, are the reasons why I watch things in Japanese.

I pretty much agree with you on the spoiler part as well.  Towards the end, I started to get annoyed at a couple of things; that being one of them.  Your line of "It's one of those situations where they stretched the viewer's suspension of disbelief really thin and it broke for a couple people," is correct (for me at least) and is one of things that killed season 2 for me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2083 on: May 29, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »

It's been so long since the Code Geass 1/2 fiasco I'm not sure if I remember it right.

************ warning, memory may be faulty ************

The original Code Geass was one season only. At some point they asked that the whole show be changed to fit a second season. Everyone got pissed, but did it because they were forced to. The director quit right after and the original ending was never disclosed.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2084 on: May 30, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

I've only heard that the beginning of the second season was significantly changed to have more of the schoollife nonsense (pressure from studio because the school stuff was popular), but I've never heard anything about there being a new director for the show at any point. The original concept was developed by Goro Taniguchi/Ichiro Okouchi (Director/Writer respectively) so the show had the same guys in the main creative roles right from the beginning.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: