Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334833 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 288775 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2100 on: June 07, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »

The last 15 episodes of Destiny destroys all of the material they built up in the first 35 episodes. They essentially pushed aside the whole cast and just made it another Kira/Athrun show, which made me mad.

When it comes to Gundam, just stick to UC Gundams, Gundam X and Turn A Gundam.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2101 on: June 07, 2013, 07:19:30 AM »

The last 15 episodes of Destiny destroys all of the material they built up in the first 35 episodes. They essentially pushed aside the whole cast and just made it another Kira/Athrun show, which made me mad.

Most would argue that it saved the show though =/
Seriously, Shinn is a terrible main character.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2102 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »

Shinn was a bad main character because of bad planning. It's no-one's fault but the writer's that he basically became
Code:
Durandal's barking dog
by the end of the show. The first half of the show or so was going pretty good but it was pretty obvious by the end they were turning in scripts late and such given how much time they were wasting with pointless episodes and numerous clip shows right before the climax.

They basically just made Kira the main character again because he was popular in polls. I wouldn't have minded that much if he didn't remain completely static throughout the show because he was so powerful he doesn't really have to struggle with anything.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2103 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »

The latter part of Destiny was little more than glorified Kira fanfiction.

Shinn's problem was that they were trying to do Kamille mkII, in their effort to make Destiny a Zeta mkII, to go with Seed being OYW mkII and then got bored and decided to derail the plot to allow for more Jesus Yamato and his holy beam spam.

There's a reason why Seed and Seed Destiny are usually SRW's whipping boys when it comes to integrating the series with a whole bunch of giant robot pilots that run on hot blood.

That said, go check out Astray. Lowe is a much better character than Kira, Shinn, and Athrun put together.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2104 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »

I wouldn't really say they're bad characters. I liked Kira in that he was an introverted character that's done pretty close to what an emotional introvert would be like in real life (As opposed to a total robot like they're usually done, see: Rei etc). The problem is that all that gets derailed with his aforementioned god-mode beamspam. When SEED was about Fllay manipulating Kira to serve her ends, Sai getting insecure and them nearly getting at each others' throats- that was the most interesting part of the show for me. Sai gets pushed way into the background later in the show though, and Fllay loses basically most of her relevance. After a certain point I stopped being able to relate to Kira's plight as much. Then when DESTINY came along he just went from place to place basically doing the same thing over and over.

Destiny seemed to enjoy having the plot go absolutely nowhere. I could expand on it a bit more but it's basically all spoiler material.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2105 on: June 08, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »

I have a fun tale to regale you all with. I've been playing Dynasty Warrior Gundam 3 recently and just like Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 it made me want to watch Zeta Gundam. So I finally decided to get the DVDs.....only to discover the DVDs are extremely expensive. Confused as they were not that old, I checked other Gundam series only to discover that other than 00 they were all expensive. And then after a couple of days of occasional searching, I discovered that Bandai stopped making DVDs so everything they licensed is now out of print. How am I only learning about this now?! >.> So many series to pick up before their prices get even more ridiculous. Luckily I have a few of them all ready. But yeah, I'm going to be having a lot of Bandai licensed anime to watch very soon. Still need to decide if I want G Gundam or the original Gundam series though.

Shinn was a bad main character because of bad planning. It's no-one's fault but the writer's that he basically became
Code:
Durandal's barking dog
by the end of the show. The first half of the show or so was going pretty good but it was pretty obvious by the end they were turning in scripts late and such given how much time they were wasting with pointless episodes and numerous clip shows right before the climax.

They basically just made Kira the main character again because he was popular in polls. I wouldn't have minded that much if he didn't remain completely static throughout the show because he was so powerful he doesn't really have to struggle with anything.
I don't know, I found Shinn to be all kinds of annoying from the get go of Destiny. He started to get slightly more tolerable at the mid point, but it really just did not last for too long. I realize that the writers were originally probably going for a jerk who becomes more likable as time goes on, but they went too slowly on his character growth so it was just unbearable at some points to watch him. Kira becoming the main character was a mercy as far as I am concerned.

Code:
Shinn really worked much better when he was clearly the antagonist. Frankly I'm not completely convinced that this wasn't the writer's intention originally.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2106 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

I discovered that Bandai stopped making DVDs so everything they licensed is now out of print. How am I only learning about this now?! >.>

What the??? Really? I'm sure some series would still sell descent amount =/
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2107 on: June 08, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »

I have a fun tale to regale you all with. I've been playing Dynasty Warrior Gundam 3 recently and just like Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 it made me want to watch Zeta Gundam. So I finally decided to get the DVDs.....only to discover the DVDs are extremely expensive. Confused as they were not that old, I checked other Gundam series only to discover that other than 00 they were all expensive. And then after a couple of days of occasional searching, I discovered that Bandai stopped making DVDs so everything they licensed is now out of print. How am I only learning about this now?! >.> So many series to pick up before their prices get even more ridiculous. Luckily I have a few of them all ready. But yeah, I'm going to be having a lot of Bandai licensed anime to watch very soon. Still need to decide if I want G Gundam or the original Gundam series though.

G Gundam. OYW Gundam is only pretty good and you can get the movie compilation instead, plus it doesn't have Master Asia or Windmill Gundam.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2108 on: June 08, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »

and I'd tell you SEED is great and Destiny definitively starts slow and takes many episode to pick itself up.
One thing is, instead of watching the last episode of Destiny, you'll want to watch the superior movie version "Gundam Seed Destiny - Final Plus - The Chosen Future".
The last episode was really good, but the movie version is incredible.

I actually agree with this, though I suppose I'd downgrade SEED to Good, since it did have its fair share of problems, but I still highly enjoyed it in the end.

That said...
That said, go check out Astray. Lowe is a much better character than Kira, Shinn, and Athrun put together.

I also wholeheartedly agree with this. Astray is the best thing to happen to SEED ever.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:22:51 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2109 on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

I discovered that Bandai stopped making DVDs so everything they licensed is now out of print. How am I only learning about this now?! >.>

What the??? Really? I'm sure some series would still sell descent amount =/

Not only that, but Bandai stuff that was on places like Crunchyroll are gone (at least off CR).  Pretty much left to "other" means now.

Might have to grab Escaflowne off their sometime as I wouldn't mind watching it again.  It's been like 12 years since I last watched it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:34:45 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2110 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »

I'm not surprised that Gundam stuff is out of print considering how poorly Gundam was handled in the US in the 90s, specifically SEED and how they kept screwing with its time schedule, among other things. Gundam Wing and possibly G Gundam are the only ones that are known by a lot more people in the US.

Code:
Frankly I'm not completely convinced that this wasn't the writer's intention originally.

Code:
Fukuda has outright stated that Shinn was the main character the whole time. He's not the writer exactly, but I think I'll take his word for it. Or not, since he's contradicted himself in interviews over and over. I don't think they had any clue what they were doing past the first couple dozen episodes. I don't really mind Shinn being unlikable because I've never really needed characters to be likable for me to find them interesting. I only find it distracting when characters are purposefully made irritating (See: Nina from Code Geass).
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2111 on: June 09, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »

Oh good I'm not the only one who is just now learning of Bandai's anime going kapoot. That makes me feel better (sadly does nothing to help my wallet).

G Gundam. OYW Gundam is only pretty good and you can get the movie compilation instead, plus it doesn't have Master Asia or Windmill Gundam.

Oops worded that poorly. I meant I need to decide if I want to get the original Gundam and whether I want to get G Gundam. I didn't intend that as an exclusive or proposition.

I'm not surprised that Gundam stuff is out of print considering how poorly Gundam was handled in the US in the 90s, specifically SEED and how they kept screwing with its time schedule, among other things. Gundam Wing and possibly G Gundam are the only ones that are known by a lot more people in the US.

Code:
Fukuda has outright stated that Shinn was the main character the whole time. He's not the writer exactly, but I think I'll take his word for it. Or not, since he's contradicted himself in interviews over and over. I don't think they had any clue what they were doing past the first couple dozen episodes. I don't really mind Shinn being unlikable because I've never really needed characters to be likable for me to find them interesting. I only find it distracting when characters are purposefully made irritating (See: Nina from Code Geass).

Oh geez, yeah I remember the SEED fiasco. At some point around the middle of the series it just sort of stopped. Some time later, I somehow discovered that it was being shown at midnight and started recording. I think I only missed a handful of episodes, but yeah totally mishandled.

Code:
I sort of felt like Shinn was intentionally made irritating. Shinn was certainly interesting.....as an antagonist. He worked really well for me when he was going border psychotic because I totally could see how he fell off the path. He just did not work for me though when he was supposed to be the second coming of Kira though. He just wasn't that likable.

Side note, the one time Shinn did not work for me as an antagonist was during the invasion of ORB. That should have been one of the high points for him, but it fell so freaking flat for me. Because Shinn was getting pissy at ORB for having taken a side during the conflict despite the fact that he was getting pissy and high and mighty at them earlier in the series for the fact that they didn't just roll over to the Earth Federation during the previous war. In the end he becomes the exact same thing that killed his parents (probably in the exact same spot), but he just doesn't have enough self awareness to realize that is happening. So what could have been an extremely interesting self reflection of his role in the world and what he has become instead was instead just him getting angry and whining. And thus I hated him more.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2112 on: June 18, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »

Little Lady and I finished Kotoura-san last night, I liked it a lot, she loved it. We then started Tari Tari which had a really nice start. I finished Say I Love You which was cute and started You and Me, which I like a lot so far. Kaiba is still good but I can only watch an episode at a time, kinda depresses me a bit.

Everything's Eventual
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2113 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »

Just finished Steins;Gate, late to the party I know, but damn was that show good.

I have never watched any Gundam. Where should I start? Or should I start?

Also is Eureka 7 any good?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2114 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Also is Eureka 7 any good?

It's good, but it's definitely a slooooww moving series.  I ultimately gave up on it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: