Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319164 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 242994 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2160 on: July 11, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

Klyde, if you enjoy the bizarre style of Penguindrum then you need to see Utena (assuming you haven't already).  I liked Penguindrum, but it still doesn't come close to matching Utena in my opinion.

Actually, I've been slowly rewatching Utena over the last couple of months and I still enjoy it.  I feel like it's one of the very few shows I will never tire of rewatching...the layers of meaning are so thick and numerous I feel like I learn something new every single time.

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2161 on: July 11, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

So a few years ago, my wife and I watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime in it's entirety. I didn't know any details of the source manga (I never do), so I had no original material to compare it to. Anyway, we enjoyed it. Solid series. Absolutely hated the ending, though.

So now we are watching Brotherhood, which I understand follows the manga much more closely. Now we are going to be starting part/chapter 4 (of 5 total).
Whoa. Wayyyy better, IMO. Better story and art/animation. I can do without so much of the goofy slapstick stuff being peppered throughout, but I guess that's also part of adhering to the original manga. So yeah, the plot is way better. Much more political and intriguing in nature than some of the sappier plot lines from the original anime. Lots of good twists and WTF moments. It kinda feels like the pacing is a bit more scattered, but perhaps that's due to a compression of the manga. I can't believe how some of the most interesting and important characters in Brotherhood were left out of the first anime....
I don't want to get into any specifics, cuz I don't wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Let's just say, I think it's a vast improvement. Two thumbs up, n' all that.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2162 on: July 11, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »

Sorry I'm late. I blame my catching up everything I missed while no Internet =P

THE CHART:
http://anichart.net/summer

Stuff I'm looking forward to:

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya
From a very very good manga which is at its 3rd iteration at this point (potential of 3 seasons I guess).
This is a Type-moon show about Fate Stay Night's Ilya being a magical girl.
If anything, this is really close to Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's because the characters are very well fleshed out and extremely likeable. It avoids a lot of the problems usually associated to the magical girl type of shows and has a pretty good sense of humour.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G
I adored the first season because of it's realistic approach and humility. It was overly obvious that the first season had an extremely low budget but they managed to produce a very good serie still. Part of the fun was their focus on humour which I would describe as 'meta'. I say meta because a good amount of the jokes were inside jokes, seiyu jokes and cameo jokes (Bruce Lee, Street Fighter).

An example of their humility and humour would be one scene in the early episodes where 2 characters were walking down a corridor. The animation was so bad (really, it was), they received letters about it. The company apologized and said they would fix it in the DVDs. Now, where they turn this fiasco into a joke is that EVERY time two characters were walking down a corridor, they made sure to make them look as goofy as possible (well animated this time though).

This time they have a much better budget and I'm hoping that it helps them make an ever better show.

The World God Only Knows III
Season 1 was incredible.
Season 2 was incredible.
*insert hype*
This show is like a fine wine.
If anything like the prior seasons, try and look at the backgrounds. They clearly put great effort there and the usage of light/shadow & colors is incredible.

Genshiken Nidaime
While the 3rd manga isn't as good as the 1st or 2nd, it's still pretty good. Madarame saves the show by being completely awesome as always.

Gin no Saji
If they keep the humour of the manga, this show should require diapers as to not piss yourself laughing.
Same author as Full Metal Alchemist (but it's a slice of life / comedy)

Rozen Maiden
There is nothing wrong about watching this as a guy. I used to think this show would never be for me, but then a friend convinced me to watch it.
As surprised as I was, this is a very good show and I ended up watching season 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:06:21 PM by Annubis » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2163 on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »

The World God Only Knows III
Season 1 was incredible.
Season 2 was incredible.
*insert hype*
This show is like a fine wine.
If anything like the prior seasons, try and look at the backgrounds. They clearly put great effort there and the usage of light/shadow & colors is incredible.

For the love that is almighty thank you.  Been waiting for season 3 for awhile!  And an episode is already out to boot!

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2164 on: July 12, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »

Holy crap. Silver Spoon anime. Yes!

Wait, a new Science Ninja Team Gatchaman Battle of the Planets G-Force? Wot?

And a new Ghibli film and a Future Diary OVA are coming eventually.

Also a bunch of magical girl anime that may or may not be interesting.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2165 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:04 AM »

Klyde, if you enjoy the bizarre style of Penguindrum then you need to see Utena (assuming you haven't already).  I liked Penguindrum, but it still doesn't come close to matching Utena in my opinion.
This.

So now we are watching Brotherhood, which I understand follows the manga much more closely. Now we are going to be starting part/chapter 4 (of 5 total).
Whoa. Wayyyy better, IMO. Better story and art/animation.
This.

Holy crap. Silver Spoon anime. Yes!
And this.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2166 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »

So a few years ago, my wife and I watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime in it's entirety. I didn't know any details of the source manga (I never do), so I had no original material to compare it to. Anyway, we enjoyed it. Solid series. Absolutely hated the ending, though.

Whoa. Wayyyy better, IMO. Better story and art/animation. I can do without so much of the goofy slapstick stuff being peppered throughout, but I guess that's also part of adhering to the original manga. So yeah, the plot is way better. Much more political and intriguing in nature than some of the sappier plot lines from the original anime. Lots of good twists and WTF moments. It kinda feels like the pacing is a bit more scattered, but perhaps that's due to a compression of the manga. I can't believe how some of the most interesting and important characters in Brotherhood were left out of the first anime....
I don't want to get into any specifics, cuz I don't wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Let's just say, I think it's a vast improvement. Two thumbs up, n' all that.
To be fair, the original anime was being aired in the middle of manga run, so a lot of the most awesome parts of the manga had yet to be written yet. So that is why it went off in a completely different. Hell if I remember correctly the manga didn't actually wrap up until the month(?) before Brotherhood finished. It was very close and I remember wondering whether Brotherhood would actually manage to have the same ending as the manga or not when it was originally airing. As for pacing, yeah that is because they compress certain parts more than others, especially at the beginning of the series. I don't think they cut anything other than a couple of one shot stories from the beginning of the series (train story and mine town story in the first anime were originally from the manga).

Anyways my opinion is that Brotherhood is a superior version. Biggest complaint I have is that the Homunculus from the first anime just don't fit with the rest of the series as they are mystical rather than pseudo-scientific.

Code:
Also there is the whole WW2 thing in the first anime. Wtf.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2167 on: July 12, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »

To be fair, the original anime was being aired in the middle of manga run, so a lot of the most awesome parts of the manga had yet to be written yet. So that is why it went off in a completely different. Hell if I remember correctly the manga didn't actually wrap up until the month(?) before Brotherhood finished. It was very close and I remember wondering whether Brotherhood would actually manage to have the same ending as the manga or not when it was originally airing. As for pacing, yeah that is because they compress certain parts more than others, especially at the beginning of the series. I don't think they cut anything other than a couple of one shot stories from the beginning of the series (train story and mine town story in the first anime were originally from the manga).

Anyways my opinion is that Brotherhood is a superior version. Biggest complaint I have is that the Homunculus from the first anime just don't fit with the rest of the series as they are mystical rather than pseudo-scientific.

Code:

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Code:
I hear ya about the WW2 thing. In retrospect, Lust's whole love story nonsense was... meh as well.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2168 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

Let me know what you think of Sorcerer Hunters and we can talk about it and stuff.  One aspect I definitely like about Sorcerer Hunters is the music.  And even though the dub is nowhere near as good as the subtitles, that's where some of the best one-liners emerge.  I'm reading the Sorcerer Hunters manga right now (I just finished vol. 7 out of 13) and it's great.  The manga is a LOT better than the anime.  The TV series is fun (even if it kinda strays from the manga and doesn't have the most comprehensive ending), but the OVAs are priceless because they stay truer to the manga. 

I recently marathoned Cowboy Bebop (series plus movie) and realized why I fell in love with that series in the first place.  Heck, I named my car Faye Valentine the day I bought it.  (I got a 2010 Honda Fit 3 years ago with a blackberry pearl finish.  I saw the anime-eye headlights and the color and instantly thought to myself, "Faye Valentine" and I have a picture of Faye hanging off my mirror.  My bandmates always comment on the Faye picture whenever I'm driving, so maybe one day I'll get 'em to watch Cowboy Bebop too. 

I might have to re-watch Outlaw Star once I get my hands on that series (be it rental or keeper) since I've been thinking about it as well lately.  It seems the artist for that was also the artist for Thousand Arms and I didn't realize that. 

Dincrest you never steer me wrong buddy. I just watched the first 2 eps of Sorcerer Hunters online and had to order the complete collection DVD to enjoy in higher quality! LoL!!

I am going to hold off on watching more til it arrives but I really want to dig into this series. What I gem a totally missed out on here. While it is obviously too early to tell how much I will enjoy it, it has such a Slayers meets El-Hazard "feeling" to it coupled with a very "sega cd/working designs rpg-flavor" I can't imagine not being totally in love with this. Straight out of the era that got me into anime in the first place, this box set TOTALLY deserves a spot on display in my living room. Thank goodness the amazon seller offered expedited shipping....

And on the note of outlaw star. While it may not be the most stellar series ever I loved it for the characters. Particularly Aysha Clan-Clan (sp?). The cast alone was enough to make that prove pretty memorable for me.

Actually, I've been slowly rewatching Utena over the last couple of months and I still enjoy it.  I feel like it's one of the very few shows I will never tire of rewatching...the layers of meaning are so thick and numerous I feel like I learn something new every single time.

Grande-Gratitude for your suggestion Kevadu! You know my tastes pretty well so I'm confidant I will enjoy it. Utena will be on deck post Sorcerer Hunters.

I craft myself anime watching schedules which can only accomadate one new series at a time... strange I know, however more then one new series at a time and I run the risk of short circuiting my simple brain with over-stimulation.

As far what I am rewatching... up to episode 250 of Dragon Ball Z. Its incredible how good something this bad can seem to me.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2169 on: July 12, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

Code:

They finished within a week of each other actually.

Either way though, both animes and the manga each have something the others don't. For the original, it did the early story bits fairly well and even covered some of the light novels, up until the second season and the first encounter with Greed where the plot bumps into Dante's shack and suddenly goes off the rails (after that, the only redeeming thing the anime did was introduce Archer and eventually The Archinator as well as make Maria Ross into a total and complete badass). Brotherhood abridges the early material since it was covered more thoroughly in the original anime and it's pacing is a little whack, especially in regards to the humor scenes, but you get to see the endgame animated and that alone is justification for checking Brotherhood out. And the manga doesn't get any animation or anime music and only a few pages of color overall, but the pacing is better and nothing's been cut (obviously) including stuff that both animes failed to capture (the most notable of which was the throwdown in Central where half the fight in the manga was essentially cut from Brotherhood and ditched entirely from the original anime; which is unfortunate for Linn as she actually got to kick some ass on Envy before Wrath sneaks up on her and wrecks her arm versus just getting chumped by Wrath).

That said, both movies suck ass (since the biggest strength of the series was its well thought out plotline and fleshed out characters; a goddamn rarity in manga/anime in general; and movies in general do not have the time for that kind of luxury unless you're making a trilogy or something).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2170 on: July 14, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »

Got my bf to watch Azumanga Daioh! He ended up really liking it, even going so far as to watch it when I was at work, which he normally doesn't do. I'm glad, since it's my fav anime and means a lot to me, and it seems it had a similar effect on him. Now we're shopping around for some new anime to watch and he keeps comparing the ones we see to AzuDai. I feel accomplished! :)

We also started Attack on Titan and it's pretty good! Some slick animation, and whoever is doing the subtitles for Crunchyroll made them larger than the average subtitles, which is a big thumbs-up in my book.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2171 on: July 21, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »

Been watching Hunter X Hunter (2011). I'm up to episode 33. This arc has been extremely interesting, and I think this whole Nen thing is blowing my mind. The fights are also getting pretty good, especially that last one with Hisoka. It took long enough, but this is finally feeling like a shounen anime.

Oh, and did the narrator just spoil something interesting about Hisoka at the end of ep. 32 that probably would've been an interesting surprise?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2172 on: July 22, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »

Out of shits and giggles I decided to check out the finale of IGPX, and goddamn this is still a terrible show. Its not just the fact that the whole thing is one of the most derivative things imaginable but its that goddamn announcer that pretty much ruins every race without fail and without that, all the show has is the useless character drama which pretty much came from a character drama mad lib. Thank god this is getting dumped for Sword Art Online next week.

Meanwhile, SciFi Harry is getting close to its conclusion and what a lemon it is. When I first watch the show, I was thinking it would be about this nerdy nobody getting psychic powers and abusing them in an effort to improve his quality of life only to have his efforts backfire on him completely. Instead, I got Government Conspiracy: The Anime made from the school of Hanna Barbera cartoon design. I'm enjoying seeing the bad animation, excessive use of animation shortcuts, and the number of conversations that simply amount to somebody saying someone else's name and nothing else, but in the end its just a terrible show and one that will quickly be left behind.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2173 on: July 22, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »

Watched the second half of Gundam Zeta over the weekend while I was working on my Perfect Grade Zeta Gundam. It was enjoyable, although portions of the ending were very out of place.....and the ending was somewhat depressing. Need to get the movies so that I can see the happy variant of the ending.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2174 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »

Genshiken Nidaime

So... apparently I was right about Madarame saving the show.
Episode 2 and 3 are completely Madarame centric and they skipped a lot of prior stuff in the manga to get to those.

Seems that they're changing the target audience to male in the anime as opposed to the manga.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: