Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 03:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335193 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 290984 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2220 on: August 22, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »

So I finally decided to break down and read (re:marathoned) Attack on Titan.

Code:
:tviv:....

...what?

Its a smiley tag used over at Something Awful. Specifically the one with the words "Oh No! Holy Fuck!" shooting out of a television screen and knocking over the smiley, couch and all. My guess is that it originated in The TV IV forum specifically (given that they share the same name, plus I think the IV stands for Intravenous as in those pouches that drip fluids into you at the hospital; and TV should be self explanatory).

The long belated point was that I wanted something to better express my feelings with so I made due with this place's lack of smileys by substituting for another. Really, they should've sent a poet, for I have no words (and I don't want to risk posting spoilers).

Edit:
I will say this though, I love how this series doesn't bother giving you any obvious buildup to its big reveals but instead slaps you across the face with them before you can realize where all the subtle clues are leading you to, and only then does it proceed to explain the logic behind the conclusion immediately afterwards. It's a complete inverse of how such reveals are usually handled, especially in manga and anime.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:20:57 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2221 on: August 23, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »

Last night I watched the Baoh OVA for the first time in almost 20 years... I forgot how gratifyingly gory it is. Fun stuff! It's what made me love it as a teen.

The voice acting is pretty stale and hollow, just as I remembered it. Seriously, I don't know how some voice actors get the jobs they do... I know the recommended remedy to that is to watch with Japanese audio and English subs, but I honestly don't like reading shit while trying to watch a movie, and this particular version (the one I linked to above) of Boah does not have that option, anyway.

I actually like how the "movie" starts in the full swing of things, and explanations/origin stories are made throughout the rest of the "film". I don't like how short it is overall, as pacing suffers a bit. I know that's just how these types of productions are, though. Straight up campy 80s OVA fun.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2222 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »

Casshern Sins....is AWESOME

Everything's Eventual
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2223 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »

Surprised you're liking that one. It seems to be love or Meh for a lot of people. I was kinda meh just because I couldn't withstand the slow pacing and depressing atmosphere. How far in it are you?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2224 on: August 25, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

Cashern Sins could have been abridged in half the number of episodes and still feel lengthy.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2225 on: August 25, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »

Cashern Sins could have been abridged in half the number of episodes and still feel lengthy.

Half the number of episodes? I don't know about that, but some episodes did need to be cut entirely.

Still, if you can handle or are in the mood for the depressing tone of Casshern Sins then you are going to enjoy the series for what it is. I mean honestly is hardly a bad series considering that the story is compelling ignoring the slow pace of everything (even the flashy battles are presented in a methodical way). I would say that is not a series I would see anyone recommend but if can get into it and see the entire thing then good for you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:57:20 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2226 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

To

Surprised you're liking that one. It seems to be love or Meh for a lot of people. I was kinda meh just because I couldn't withstand the slow pacing and depressing atmosphere. How far in it are you?

On episode 9. And I admit, I cannot marathon episodes, it's a disturbing show but I love the look and feel, hopefully it will keep me enthralled throughout.

Everything's Eventual
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2227 on: August 25, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »

Finished Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus 1 and it's pretty epic.  I didn't think my all time favorite manga could get better, but it is. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2228 on: August 26, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »

Recently watched the Gundam 00 movie. It was alright. I was sort of meh on the new mechs, especially the 00Quan. The plot was fine although it seemed sort of scattershot in some points. Sort of a let down from the main series, but it wasn't horrible. Best part really was the "recap" at the beginning because it was hilarious.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2229 on: August 26, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »

Best part really was the "recap" at the beginning because it was hilarious.

Why, what happens?
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2230 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

Why, what happens?

Isn't that the short with the chibli Meisters are describing what to expect from the second season while playing up their idiosyncrasies (i.e. Setsuna dons a Gundam mask and "becomes a 'Gundam'", Teiria swaps genders for a bit before becoming a ghost in the machine, and other stuff)?

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2231 on: August 27, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »

Why, what happens?
It is a climax from an in-universe movie (presumably written by Celestial Being) that one of the characters is watching. The movie is basically a super sentai version of Gundam where the villain from season 1 is behind everything in a full blown evil overlord space suit and the "Gundam Meisters" are about as cheesy as imaginable.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2232 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

Why, what happens?
It is a climax from an in-universe movie (presumably written by Celestial Being) that one of the characters is watching. The movie is basically a super sentai version of Gundam where the villain from season 1 is behind everything in a full blown evil overlord space suit and the "Gundam Meisters" are about as cheesy as imaginable.

Oh right, that thing. I had completely forgot about that. I was thinking about the season 2 'preview' where it was entirely goofy and entirely accurate to what actually happens across season 2 and the movie.

Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2233 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »

So, I watched Gunbuster and, no hyperbole, it was pretty good. I've meant to watch it for a long time since it is referenced so often visually and has an important place in Mecha cannon, but I hadn't got around to it until now. I like how it had a number of Anno's tendencies in an unpolished format. If I had to praise it for one thing it would be that it has one of the best, if not the best finale I've ever seen on television.

Now to watch Diebuster.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2234 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

I watched Eden of the East and the two movies the past couple of weeks. Before I say anything else, this was a beautiful, beautiful show. Fantastic animation and gorgeous backgrounds. The characters were incredibly likable and the the story was overall pretty exciting and maintained a steady air of mystery up until the end. I only have two problems: the first is that the resolution was pretty rushed and didn't have the dramatic oomph that the last episode of the series had. The second is that while Akira is very endearing, he's kind of two dimensional. It just doesn't feel like he experiences any kind of real growth across the series. But overall I really, really liked it.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: