Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334788 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 288097 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2235 on: September 01, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

Well it took almost all summer but I'm finally at the end of my DBZ re-watch. On ep 281 currently. I'll never understand the magic of this show. After my recent viewing I can certainly say it is just plain bad. Objectively speaking I feel like I can't even make a good argument in its defense.

Yet despite all that is wrong with DBZ, I loved every minute! I don't know if it is purely an affinity for the Toriyama flavor that seasoned my youth that kept me so entertained but golly was this an enjoyable re-watch for me.

Also checked out the 2nd Berserk movie recently. More berserk. Better than the first. Terribly satisfying. Nuf' said.... Ok, not enough said. I really want to stress how well I feel they condensed the berserk story in these movies. No dull moments and I didn't catch myself once thinking on content of the manga or series that was omitted or glazed over. The pacing is great and they really managed to puncuate the more integral plot points really well IMO. I know fans have expressed a fair degree of disgust over aspects of the new films vs. the old series and manga but I just don't see it. This is a quality-movie-remake material if ever I have viewed it. In fact, as a long-time berserk fan it surprises me to say that I would actually suggest these to someone interested in the series before the manga or television eps. Can't wait for the third.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2236 on: September 01, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

Honey and Clover

I didn't mind the show although it fell down near the end. It was interesting seeing the main character being part of a love triangle but not the centre of it. Morita was awesome throughout and the few episodes he was not in were probably my least favourite.

Code:
Wasn't expecting that ending at all. One of the few shows I have seen where the main characters love interest likes someone else and doesn't fall for the MC by the end.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2237 on: September 02, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »

Well it took almost all summer but I'm finally at the end of my DBZ re-watch. On ep 281 currently. I'll never understand the magic of this show. After my recent viewing I can certainly say it is just plain bad. Objectively speaking I feel like I can't even make a good argument in its defense.

Yet despite all that is wrong with DBZ, I loved every minute! I don't know if it is purely an affinity for the Toriyama flavor that seasoned my youth that kept me so entertained but golly was this an enjoyable re-watch for me.
That is an interesting sentiment. A while back I read through the entire Dragonball manga just because, and my feelings afterwards were that it was an alright series, but nowhere near the pedestal that people put it on. Hell I felt that that the "DBZ" portion of the manga was incredibly weak. In the "DB" portion the fights were at least occasionally interesting and different with a good mix of unusual gimmicks, silly fights, and high stake matches. When the series hits DBZ, it becomes solely "who can hit harder" with basically no strategy beyond, I'm going to increase my power and hit you really hard. Further the large cast becomes pretty much pointless as basically only Goku is allowed to win minus one instance where Gohan wins and one instance where Vegeta wins. Beyond that everyone else there is just there to get beaten up and make Goku look awesome.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2238 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »

I finished reading Battle Angel Alita: Last Order omnibus 2.  Omnibus 3 comes out next year and I can't wait to read it. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2239 on: September 02, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »

That is an interesting sentiment. A while back I read through the entire Dragonball manga just because, and my feelings afterwards were that it was an alright series, but nowhere near the pedestal that people put it on. Hell I felt that that the "DBZ" portion of the manga was incredibly weak. In the "DB" portion the fights were at least occasionally interesting and different with a good mix of unusual gimmicks, silly fights, and high stake matches. When the series hits DBZ, it becomes solely "who can hit harder" with basically no strategy beyond, I'm going to increase my power and hit you really hard. Further the large cast becomes pretty much pointless as basically only Goku is allowed to win minus one instance where Gohan wins and one instance where Vegeta wins. Beyond that everyone else there is just there to get beaten up and make Goku look awesome.

I think it stems from the fact that most other Shonen series are even worse about powerlevels than DBZ.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2240 on: September 02, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »

I think it stems from the fact that most other Shonen series are even worse about powerlevels than DBZ.

For quite awhile, Naruto was off to a good start in that regard but, from what I read in reviews, somewhere along the lines they decided to make Naruto God tier and increase his power exponentially every arc.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2241 on: September 02, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »

For quite awhile, Naruto was off to a good start in that regard but, from what I read in reviews, somewhere along the lines they decided to make Naruto God tier and increase his power exponentially every arc.

That ended shortly after the first time skip which is when I dropped it. Naruto was the only character to show any sort of marked improvement over their younger selves while the rest either descended into gimmicks, were female and became even more useless than before, or was Saucekay.

At least it was better about it than Bleach ever was. Character bloat central!

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2242 on: September 02, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »

I think Bleach never even knew what it was supposed to be.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2243 on: September 02, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »

Honestly, after my rewatch of the first season of Bleach, I think Kubo at least had a vague idea of where he wanted to go with everything. Much of the later arcs were implied in the earlier parts, it's really just down to how poorly it was excecuted that's lead to its fate.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2244 on: September 02, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »

That ended shortly after the first time skip which is when I dropped it. Naruto was the only character to show any sort of marked improvement over their younger selves while the rest either descended into gimmicks, were female and became even more useless than before, or was Saucekay.

The character bloat is my biggest problem with Bleach. It's slick and stylish, but Kubo doesn't know what to do with the characters he has. Although I have to say, from what I've seen of DBZ, it sort of had a similar problem, as Ranadiel points out above.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2245 on: September 03, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »

The character bloat is my biggest problem with Bleach. It's slick and stylish, but Kubo doesn't know what to do with the characters he has. Although I have to say, from what I've seen of DBZ, it sort of had a similar problem, as Ranadiel points out above.

DBZ's problem was one of too many befriendments and everybody turning into buttmonkeys compared to Goku, a problem that a lot of long running shonen series inevitably run into. Bleach's problem stems around Kubo taking rapid fire design approach to characters and discarding none of the results. Character bloat was happening by Soul Society and just got progressively worse as time went on.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2246 on: September 03, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »

Well at least there is always One Piece, where everyone is useful (even Usop) and the battles are go beyond who can punch the other guy harder.

Honestly, after my rewatch of the first season of Bleach, I think Kubo at least had a vague idea of where he wanted to go with everything. Much of the later arcs were implied in the earlier parts, it's really just down to how poorly it was excecuted that's lead to its fate.
I don't know about that. I mean really where were Fullbringers ever implied? Or the fact that the Quincies were not in fact extinct? The....whatchamacallits that were shinigamis turned hollows may have been originally planned since their leader's design is in some early artwork for the series. But for the most part, I fall into the camp of believing Kubo just pulled the whole later chapters out of his rear.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2247 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »

Well at least there is always One Piece, where everyone is useful (even Usop) and the battles are go beyond who can punch the other guy harder.

I don't know about that. I mean really where were Fullbringers ever implied? Or the fact that the Quincies were not in fact extinct? The....whatchamacallits that were shinigamis turned hollows may have been originally planned since their leader's design is in some early artwork for the series. But for the most part, I fall into the camp of believing Kubo just pulled the whole later chapters out of his rear.

Fullbring - Chad himself. They needed to explain him somehow.
Quincies - I'm absolutely sure it's heavily implied, if not explicitly stated somewhere within episodes 43-45. They also mentioned how the glove was considered archaic, implying that the quincies had obtained powers that exceeded it.

They also implied heavily several times throughout the entire Soul Society arc about the hollow power thing.

Really, if nothing else, he most likely had the ideas down.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2248 on: September 03, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »

went through one punch man, reading the webcomic version thinking it was the manga, wondering the whole time why the art was so lulz and stick figurey. Dunno if anyone has read Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru(it's a mouthful), but really lovin that series' sense of humor, even if it's kinda wtf at times.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2249 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »

went through one punch man, reading the webcomic version thinking it was the manga, wondering the whole time why the art was so lulz and stick figurey. Dunno if anyone has read Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru(it's a mouthful), but really lovin that series' sense of humor, even if it's kinda wtf at times.

I really like one punch man. It is just really fun to read.

I also like Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. I find all the characters pretty interesting with the exception of Minoru. The guy seems way to Mar Sue to me. The fights in the manga are all pretty great though with each characters fighting style feeling different.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: