Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319209 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 243245 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2265 on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »

Reread through all of Fullmetal Alchemist over the last week or so. Perfect is a word I try not throw around to much, but I will use it to describe FMA. It is exactly what a Shonen manga should be.

It's been out since at least the 4th, online at least. Viz might be a little behind, though.
No Viz does simul-releases with the physical Shonen Jump magazine and has been since....last January (I think, not that it really matters I suppose). However, portions of the scanlation community get their scans before the actual street date of the magazine and release their chapters about half a week+ before the magazine comes out. So the scanlations that came out on the 4th are for the issue of Shonen Jump for the 9th.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2266 on: September 08, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »

So five episodes into Sora no Manimani and so far I am pleased, cute show.

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2267 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

From what I've heard, Valvrave was pretty bad but in a good way.

That said, after looking it up recently, everything about Kill La Kill looks fucking amazing. I don't know if it'll be amazingly good or amazingly awful but it will be amazing.

If by "bad in a good way", you mean like it encompasses to awe of watching a trainwreck in slowmotion, then I'd be inclined to agree...otherwise, I'd personally say it was just plain bad. I'd probably put it down there with Linebarrel and Muv-Luv as some of the worst Mecha anime I've seen...

Yeah, that.

It was Majestic Prince that I was trying to describe.

Actually, a lot from Spring ended up fizzling out after a few episodes.

Yeah, you're right, AoT asside, there wasn't much from this Spring that stayed good. (I didn't even watch Attack on Titan, either...) It was a really disappointing season, actually...that said, Majestic Prince is at least watchable, and it's not exactly boring, so I'd take it over Valvrave.

Hell, even AoT started to fall apart later on when the director probably realized that he was trying to adapt a still ongoing manga that moves at warp fucking speed into a full length anime season, and then started slowing and padding out the content. Not that I could blame the guy as the best place to have taken a break thus far was when the Female Type Titan did her best Han Solo impression.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2268 on: September 08, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »

That said, after looking it up recently, everything about Kill La Kill looks fucking amazing. I don't know if it'll be amazingly good or amazingly awful but it will be amazing.

If by "bad in a good way", you mean like it encompasses to awe of watching a trainwreck in slowmotion, then I'd be inclined to agree...otherwise, I'd personally say it was just plain bad. I'd probably put it down there with Linebarrel and Muv-Luv as some of the worst Mecha anime I've seen...

Yeah, that.

It was Majestic Prince that I was trying to describe.

Actually, a lot from Spring ended up fizzling out after a few episodes.

Yeah, you're right, AoT asside, there wasn't much from this Spring that stayed good. (I didn't even watch Attack on Titan, either...) It was a really disappointing season, actually...that said, Majestic Prince is at least watchable, and it's not exactly boring, so I'd take it over Valvrave.

Hell, even AoT started to fall apart later on when the director probably realized that he was trying to adapt a still ongoing manga that moves at warp fucking speed into a full length anime season, and then started slowing and padding out the content. Not that I could blame the guy as the best place to have taken a break thus far was when the Female Type Titan did her best Han Solo impression.

Funny, I just read an article Crunchyroll featured, which was supposed to be about something, but the author just ended up going on a rant about how disappointed he was in Attack on Titan. And the pacing (mostly how it slows down) seemed to be his biggest issue with it (well, that and the dips in animation...).

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2269 on: September 11, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »

That sounds a lot like Sukaban Deka only with swords instead of killa yo yos
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2270 on: September 11, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »

That sounds a lot like Sukaban Deka only with swords instead of killa yo yos

This is almost entirely why I'm so hyped about this. It's like a cross between that, Bubblegum Crisis, Gurren-Lagann, and with a possible hint of Utena (the almost is from the fact that since the face-shirts can transform into Gurren-Lagann style Powersuits, it might be possible to see this in an SRW somewhere down the line).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2271 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

Since Dark Horse is reprinting those rare Berserk mangas, I just preordered the 15 volumes that I'm missing,lol.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2272 on: September 14, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »

Since Dark Horse is reprinting those rare Berserk mangas, I just preordered the 15 volumes that I'm missing,lol.

What?! Sweet! I only have volumes 2-4. Might grab at least 14-21 when I can.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2273 on: September 15, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »

What?! Sweet! I only have volumes 2-4. Might grab at least 14-21 when I can.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk

Yep!  This truly made my day.  It looks like the special pre-order price has went away, but it shouldn't be too late to obtain these.  I'm assuming they will be released sometime next month.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2274 on: September 16, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

Thanks for the link!

You know, I was going to go on about how much good Victory Gundam is, which I've been watching lately and its been doing a lot of things really right, but then I saw a late-series clip that reminded me how frustrating it could be, too. To put it simply, this show gets really weird sometimes, especially in the later half. Also, Tomino seriously needs to learn how to add some subtlety to his dialogue...

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2275 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

Thanks for the link!

You know, I was going to go on about how much good Victory Gundam is, which I've been watching lately and its been doing a lot of things really right, but then I saw a late-series clip that reminded me how frustrating it could be, too. To put it simply, this show gets really weird sometimes, especially in the later half. Also, Tomino seriously needs to learn how to add some subtlety to his dialogue...
Isn't that supposed to be the most brutal and depressing of all the Gundam series?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2276 on: September 17, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »

Thanks for the link!

Isn't that supposed to be the most brutal and depressing of all the Gundam series?

It's also the second most misogynistic next to AGE.

I mean, say what you will about how blatantly awful their depictions are in the series but at least the ladies of Victory can be described as more than just "baby makers" or "so&so's girlfriend", whereas AGE could remove every female shown on screen and lose maybe an enemy suit or two at most.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2277 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »

I don't think Victory was misogynistic, it's just that the Shrike Girls are shitty Tomino Grimderp writing 101. Marbet and Müller were decent enough. I think Shakti's a good character but everyone I know hates her because she reacts like a normal person I guess. Crazy lady's one of my favorite villains.

Overall I'd say I liked Victory but there was a lot of stupid things in it too. The mecha action is top notch though, if nothing else. It also had my favorite handling of
Code:
the series end Newtype magic powers because it didn't magically make the Victory stronger (Arguably the Wings of Light became bigger but you could argue that Usso just decided to go full-out with it since the V2 just powered down right after), they just silently pointed him in the direction to go. I think that's more powerful than going "ghosts make my lightsaber/laser beam/waverider nose's kung fu bigger and stronger
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:09:23 AM by Hathen » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2278 on: September 18, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

I started watching Sword Art Online on toonami. It's pretty cool being the mmo nerd I am right now, having always desired to be my avatar in the games. It reminds me of .hack but more intriguing and less grim...given the situation of the story I could see how it's odd I say that. But yeah, I enjoy the hell out of it.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2279 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »

I started watching Sword Art Online on toonami. It's pretty cool being the mmo nerd I am right now, having always desired to be my avatar in the games. It reminds me of .hack but more intriguing and less grim...given the situation of the story I could see how it's odd I say that. But yeah, I enjoy the hell out of it.

Just skip the second half.  You'll know when...

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: