Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327270 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 191 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 262537 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2295 on: October 04, 2013, 11:52:29 PM »

Checked the first episode of Kill la Kill.

Hot damn that was a fun first episode. It's pretty raunchy, but the solid action, over the top silliness, and excellent visual work just owns bones. The best part though was that it never got too frantic, I could follow everything that was going on (aside from the occasional blink and you missed them sight gags, and even those weren't that hard to catch; or concurrent dialogs since that's two lines of subs on top of what's going on screen, but that only happens once). And outside of being a framing device, the Japanese Highschool Bullshit was practically non existent.

This seriously looks like its going to be a really fun show.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2296 on: October 05, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »

Haven't watched much from the new season yet, but here are some thoughts:

Miss Monochrome: Kind of goofy and stupid, but the episodes are short so the humor doesn't have time to wear thin.  Certainly nothing ground breaking, but I found it funny enough to be a decent distraction.  One of those shows that probably works better with the short eps than it would with full-length ones.

Kanata no Kyoukai (Beyond the Boundary on CR): Not really sold on it from the first episode, to be honest.  I think it could be interesting, but that's going to depend on where they go with it.  Animation was great, of course (it's KyoAni), but the whole thing with having a girl who's ridiculously clumsy but is somehow also a super-badass when she needs to be (without any explanation as to how that works...) really irked me.  Anyway, I think there is some potential and I'll certainly watch the next episode, but I'm still skeptical at this point.

Kill la Kill: Unlike Aeolus this one didn't do much for me.  It's a bit too out there for me.  I like settings that are a little more grounded and thought-out.  This is stylized to the point of nonsense.  The visual and animation styles are certainly unique, though.

Golden Time: I'm watching this because I really liked Toradora (same author), but I already read part of the books for the same reason and I didn't like them.  So I don't know why I thought the anime might change my mind...my main beef is that Banri is an incredibly uninteresting protagonist.  One of those average-in-every-way-with-nothing-that-stands-out types.  Of course, he's got the memory loss thing (Is that a spoiler?  It's in the show description...), but all that does is make him mope around whining about how he doesn't like people comparing him to his past self (who he doesn't remember).  The supporting cast is much stronger, but so much happens from Banri's perspective and I just don't give a shit about him...
Random observation: When Banri is lost on the way to the school at the beginning there and follows those two female students, in the novel the same thing happened but they were male students.  This has absolutely no bearing on the story, but I thought it was a pretty random change.  Makes Banri look like a creepy stalker, especially with the way they depicted it...

Infinite Stratos 2: What was I thinking?  It's Infinite Stratos...again.  Gah, if Ichika could stop being a dope for 15 seconds then maybe something interesting could happen in this series, but that will never happen because Ichika being a dope is the keystone that holds this pile of tropes and mediocracy together in the first place.

I Couldn't Become a Hero so blah blah blah: Uuuuuugh.  Start with a similar premise as The Devil is a Part Timer, remove everything that was funny or interesting about it, turn the fanservice up to 11, and you get this show.  OK, the random appearance of the Enterprise was kind of funny, but that was the only thing that got so much as a chuckle out of me in the entire episode.  And it had nothing to do with anything else in the show...

Wow, I'm being pretty negative today...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2297 on: October 05, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »

^Thanks guys for talking about Kill la Kill.

I searched for more info and trailers, and after seeing that Hiroyuki Imaishi is the director I'm totally on board with this. Dude always does the kind of anime I like the most; With no bullshit. Full of style that is fun to watch from the beginning to the end.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2298 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »

Kill la Kill: Unlike Aeolus this one didn't do much for me.  It's a bit too out there for me.  I like settings that are a little more grounded and thought-out.  This is stylized to the point of nonsense.  The visual and animation styles are certainly unique, though.

I'd say give it time. I'm smelling TTGL in this, in that the initial premise is probably going to veer to the left at some point and never look back. Hell, the Homeroom teacher probably has more going on at the moment then anyone else.

Besides, its nowhere near as stylized as Dead Leaves was. Holy shit, was that an incomprehensible anime.

I Couldn't Become a Hero so blah blah blah: Uuuuuugh.  Start with a similar premise as The Devil is a Part Timer, remove everything that was funny or interesting about it, turn the fanservice up to 11, and you get this show.  OK, the random appearance of the Enterprise was kind of funny, but that was the only thing that got so much as a chuckle out of me in the entire episode.  And it had nothing to do with anything else in the show...

It was probably funnier when Pani Poni Dash did it (and promptly ran it into the ground).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2299 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »

Kanata no Kyoukai (Beyond the Boundary on CR): Not really sold on it from the first episode, to be honest.  I think it could be interesting, but that's going to depend on where they go with it.  Animation was great, of course (it's KyoAni), but the whole thing with having a girl who's ridiculously clumsy but is somehow also a super-badass when she needs to be (without any explanation as to how that works...) really irked me.  Anyway, I think there is some potential and I'll certainly watch the next episode, but I'm still skeptical at this point.

I'm pretty negative on a lot of anime (I think it's good to have standards myself; or maybe just anime has trouble impressing me, or maybe I miss the gory and 'tits galore' attitude of 90s anime).

Anyways I see what you mean.  A unique premise, an interesting looking heroine that when she isn't being badass, we see her acting like the last 5 KYO ANI girls we've seen (I didn't a lot of FREE! so I can't say I know about the red head in that show).  She's gotta be kawaaaaaii.  <3<3<3

...Also, do KyoAni know how to draw/paint anything other than high school settings?  Does nothing else happen in life beyond their walls?! x(

I'm curious about Kill la Kill.  I was [probably the only person on earth] who wasn't absolutely obsessed with Gurren Lagaan, but I liked Panty and Stocking (iirc, same crazy-ass director, right?).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:56:30 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2300 on: October 06, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »

I was [probably the only person on earth] who wasn't absolutely obsessed with Gurren Lagaan

Confirmed, Dice is a woman and a vegetarian.
;)

Still watching some stuff randomly here and there. Up to now, I haven't seen anything really awesome though (haven't watched KlK yet).

People should learn from Suisei no Gargantia or Kotora whose first episodes were completely balls.
Golden Time is the complete opposite, the first episode is a convoluted mess.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2301 on: October 06, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »

;)

You never know, maybe she's secretly one of those old cranky mech-heads who hate Gurren Lagaan because them young'uns who watch it don't appreciate my classics like Getter Robo.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2302 on: October 06, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »

I didn't really like Gurren Lagaan either...

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2303 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »

I didn't really like Gurren Lagaan either...

Thank you!

I liked it, just not enough to sit with it.  I think that actually can be said for a lot of my anime viewing.  Too rarely do I stick with the whole thing

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2304 on: October 06, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »

Gurren Lagann pretty much becomes great around the halfway point though (and then legendary at the end)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2305 on: October 06, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

I actually wasn't crazy about Gurren Lagaan either. I liked it enough. Great animation is the biggest plus for me.

But honestly it's been a long time since I've been really crazy about anything out of anime. I remember absolutely loving FMA when I first saw it, but I was a lot younger then and it was one of my earliest experiences with a more heavy story/character based anime. Off the top of my head, Planetes is really great too. I also really like .hack//SIGN.

It's been really, really long since I've had an anime really suck me in. I enjoy random mecha shows like I always have, it's just that it usually doesn't stick with me very long other than superficially. Maybe my tastes have just changed a lot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:47:14 PM by Hathen » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2306 on: October 06, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »

^ I kinda feel that too.

It's hard to explain, maybe I'm getting older, but I feel sometimes it gets too superficial.

I liked .hack//SIGN because it focused more on conversation, about life, death, within a game context, but put a lot more at stake (I liked how some of them talked about gaming escapism too).

I loved Puella Magi for turning the "magical girl" genre on its head, making it dark, strange, and with dire consequences (an idea that's nonexistent is the sailor moon shows where a round of magic attacks get the girls through the day after wasting the first 15 minutes of it)

I liked Ghost in the Shell for creating clever plots in almost a semi-realistic way, and having a cast who's average age wasn't fucking 16 (I like it for more than that, but seriously, how often is half the main cast generally "ugly"?)

I fucking LOVED The Slayers for it's fantastic blend of humor, character development, and plot.  This is a series I wish we'd see much more often then the sort of fizzle it became.

I love Love Hina (manga) for being a better version of the harem idea; our main guy actually has some presence, often trying to act cooler than he is, and the supporting cast make the show a lot of fun and, when they do, can talk about things like adults.

I love Attack on Titan (manga) because of a very deep and dark psychological aspect of it that has people facing extinction due to giant cannibals; where if the Titan's brute force wasn't enough to be scared of, the concept of being 'eaten alive' is way too frightening too bare. 

I love Azumanga Daioh because the girls were just really fucking goofy and strange (we are); I hated that about K-On, it felt like they were just trying to be cute and sweet than much else. 

I love most of Hyouka for trying something new; mysteries are highly underplayed in general, and even though I hate Chitanda (for being like too many of the other 'airy' anime heroines), I thought it was well done.

Too often I feel like anime is about style over substance.  It's not always a bad thing, since anime has never looked better... but if it can't keep me interested then what's the point?  Also, I feel like situations and certain types of conversations are just getting old and a lot of the archetypes are being rinsed and repeated.

Maybe I'm the one who's getting old, but yeah, I'm definitely still enjoying anime, but it's really the few and far between that keep me along for the ride.

I was [probably the only person on earth] who wasn't absolutely obsessed with Gurren Lagaan

;)

I'm possible with the amount of meat I eat.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2307 on: October 06, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

oooooooooo kkkkkkkkkkk
Kill la Kill is really extreme...

I was pleasantly surprised by Gingitsune. That's the one thing I'm considering watching up to now.
Strike the Blood and Outbreak Company can go either way. Time will tell.

Watch Outbreak Company and listen to the background music when they introduce the gardener.
What the hell is that ??
da dadadadadada dadadadadada da dema dam dema dada dema da da da da dema din
EDIT: oh it's also playing at the half-elf part. Whoever's making the music sure is going for non-conformity.

Maybe I'm the one who's getting old, but yeah, I'm definitely still enjoying anime, but it's really the few and far between that keep me along for the ride.

This whole forum is getting old. Somebody go make a thread about what's up with them damn kids today.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:02:25 PM by Annubis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2308 on: October 06, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

I'm surrounded by old jaded old farts. :v

However, I think much of the way you guys feels comes from consuming too much media more than being "too old for this shit" (even though being old has something to do with it at some level at least).

Read this post in a "kind of a serious tone but not really" manner. Thanks for your understanding.*

That said. Sayonara grandpas! :3

Edited.*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:45:10 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2309 on: October 06, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »

I'm surrounded by old jaded old farts. :v

However I think much of the way you guys feels comes from consuming too much media more than being "old" (even though being old has something to do with it).

Read this post in a "kind of a serious tone but not really" manner. Thanks for your understanding.*

That said, sayonara grandpas! :3

Naw that could be it.  You can't expect everything to be good.  I mean, really, with all the stuff on TV you really only hone in on a very small percent of it.

Different strokes fer different folks

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 191 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: