Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338022 Posts in 13840 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 295813 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2370 on: November 07, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »

Just about finished with Scrapped Princess and I must admit it's been an enjoyable little romp. Little Lady and I are about halfway through Fantastic Children and I am with holding judgement for now. I had a little down time yesterday so I watched Kakurenbo, which was OK, wasn't as good as i had been led to believe but wasn't a waste of time by any means.

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2371 on: November 07, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »

Just about finished with Scrapped Princess and I must admit it's been an enjoyable little romp. Little Lady and I are about halfway through Fantastic Children and I am with holding judgement for now. I had a little down time yesterday so I watched Kakurenbo, which was OK, wasn't as good as i had been led to believe but wasn't a waste of time by any means.

I loved Pacifica's design.
I did find the mid 00's anime as being...kinda ugly though, I remember the art got kind of wonky later on.
But the story was certainly more than meets the eye.  It was slow but pretty good.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2372 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »

There's a fan translation of Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Mickeymac.  Probably not supposed to link to that sort of thing here but if you just google the title I'm sure you can find it.  In fact I think it's the first hit...

Hah, it's even the site that guy uses all the time. Maybe he's already heard of it? Anyways, thanks. And thanks for giving us the heads up on the anime version, I don't recall hearing about it from my usual sources.

EDIT: Wow, he apparently posted about it just yesterday. XD He loves it, even the fanservice scenes. In fact, he said they're some of his favorite fanservice scenes, referencing the bath scenes specifically. :P Just thought I'd mention that. Guess its got two solid recommendations now, so now I'm really looking forward to it.

Wait. This is worth something? WTF!?!

Not sure I understand what you're asking...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2373 on: November 09, 2013, 03:45:10 AM »

There's a fan translation of Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Mickeymac.  Probably not supposed to link to that sort of thing here but if you just google the title I'm sure you can find it.  In fact I think it's the first hit...

Hah, it's even the site that guy uses all the time. Maybe he's already heard of it? Anyways, thanks. And thanks for giving us the heads up on the anime version, I don't recall hearing about it from my usual sources.

EDIT: Wow, he apparently posted about it just yesterday. XD He loves it, even the fanservice scenes. In fact, he said they're some of his favorite fanservice scenes, referencing the bath scenes specifically. :P Just thought I'd mention that. Guess its got two solid recommendations now, so now I'm really looking forward to it.

Wait. This is worth something? WTF!?!

Not sure I understand what you're asking...

I was kinda referring to both his post and yours with the my post. Probably should have thrown in a quote with your name in the author tag and something indicating words to help clarify that.

Basically, from your description and the LoGH namedrop I imagined something closer to Twelve Kingdoms than what I got from seeing it go by before (which was a cover adorned by a moeblob and a short blurb as to why readers should keep an eye on this) which lead me to believe it would be something along the lines of Tears to Tiara or The Sacred Blacksmith (or at worst, Time and Eternity).

Anyways, that said, there are two things you should know about Kill la Kill. One is that it is awesome, and two is that it somehow manages to walk the line between faithfully following the tropes and hallmarks of the genres its in and being ridiculous.

Meanwhile, up to episode 10 of Majestic Prince and the plot remains bland and generic and some of the characters' eccentricities are kinda grating (especially from the two straight men pilots) but the rest of the silliness really helps break up the monotony and the fights aren't too bad either. It also helps that I'm watching two episodes at a time since it seems the show loves throwing cliffhangers at the end of odd numbered episodes.

Also since Hulu finally got around to adding it last week, I've finally gotten around to checking out Revolutionary Girl Utena (I had been meaning to for a while now). Only up to the first episode so far (since my plate currently has Kill la Kill, Majestic Prince, Slayers Next, Sword Art Online (season 2 :v), Soul Eater, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (because I keep seeing it go by and why not, I kept seeing it go by and it's not the worst thing on Adult Swim)), so no spoilers dammit!

And speaking of, got to the end of SAO season 1. Decent show all in all. I will admit, I did lol at calling the final reveal ahead of time (take that Perfect Blue and your perfectly timed reveal).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2374 on: November 09, 2013, 04:26:05 AM »

Yeah, Aeolus, it surprised me too.  You really can't judge a book by it's cover...literally here.  Though I still don't really care for the art style...but it's a novel.  It's not like there are that many illustrations in the first place.

Some random impressions from mid-season:

I think I'm just about fed up with Nagi no Asukara.  It's not really a bad show.  It certainly looks gorgeous, has an original premise, and the writing is decent if a tad melodramatic.  But god damn it, I can't stand a single character in this show.  They're all annoying, though for different reasons.  Yet there isn't a single one I can actually root for...it just makes the show difficult to watch.

Anyone watching Kyousougiga?  It's certainly different...I'm still not quite sure what to think about it, though I'm a bit behind (it started being streamed late but I'm still only watching like an ep a week so I haven't caught up...).

I'm surprised by how much I've been enjoying Strike the Blood, even though I'll freely admit that it's really quite generic.  There honestly isn't a single aspect that stands out or hasn't been done before somewhere else...but somehow it's assembled into a surprisingly fun package.  If anything it has a slightly old school feel to it, and just kind of scratches an itch that's been neglected elsewhere.  It's my comfort food show of the season.

Beyond the Boundary, on the other hand, has thoroughly disappointed me.  It doesn't feel like this show even knows what it wants to do.  It's trying to be everything to everyone.  The last episode was just bad.  The kind of filler junk you might expect from a long series that's catching up to its source material, but this isn't a long series.  And when they haven't established any semblance of an overall direction why are they bothering with filler junk?  Ugh, there was a time when if a show was made by KyoAni that was enough for me to know I would enjoy it, but now it's been three strikes in a row for me...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2375 on: November 09, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »

Yes, finally someone's seen Strike the Blood. That was the only one I still needed impressions of. Now I guess I'll get to watching some of these series. I think I'll start with Nagi no Asukara, just to get it over with. I only wanted to see one or two episodes of it, anyways.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2376 on: November 09, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »

Personally, I'm watching:

Outbreak Company
Great show. The synopsis and the first episode makes it look like some moe otaku pandering show, but so far it's managed to stay serious enough. The main theme is, believe it or not, racism and social class separation. Right now, that show is my MVP, and I would never have foreseen that.

Strike the Blood
Descent mix of school life, action, supernatural and ecchi. Nothing stands out too much but the balance of the prior elements is well done. Overall a strong show.

Non Non Biyori
It's cute. it's moe. it's schoolgirls. It's the Lucky Star formula with a twist.

Log Hoziron
SAO /.Hack clone. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really right either. It's watchable and entertaining.

Walkure Romanze
This one was a surprise. I went in expecting a tits & ass show (which it isn't). The story is OK and the characters are interesting enough. There's some ecchi of course, but about as much as Strike the Blood. The fact that the theme of the anime is jousting makes it unique enough to keep the attention. The hero's dilemma is entertaining to follow. Depending on his choice, the anime could go 2 very different ways.

Unbreakable Machine Doll
Copy paste "Descent mix of school life, action, supernatural and ecchi". Although, the setting and story are less interesting than Strike the Blood. Yaya is a doll.

Gingitsune
Descent show, but I really don't like the character they just added. He's lame. Even more wishy washy than 90% of the harem protagonists out there.

Kill la Kill
I don't find the show that great actually... I'm hoping it goes TTGL at some point.

Sequels/continuations: Magi 2 (more magi is good magi), Space Brothers (still winning 'best mature anime') & Infinite Stratos 2 (watched season 1 because there was no other mech show; watching season 2 because there's no other mech show again - I disbelieve the existence of the latest Gundam)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:00:21 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2377 on: November 10, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »

^ I got turned off Magi by the first episode when I saw an <8 year old fondling breasts like old men wish they could (that, and I heard it's going to likely be one of those 500 episode shows where my bandwidth and patience said "no").  Did it get better and less perverted?  Should I check the manga?

I was reading on spoilers for the third Puella Magi film.... it sounds like it takes a very "Gen Urobuchian" route and people will love it or hate it.... womp womp.  I wonder who hurt this guy as a kid?  I'm actually excited about the twist, personally.

The first film is going to be doing a round in my city -- I'm thinking of dragging the boyfriend or a friend to go see it!! :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:02:01 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2378 on: November 10, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »

You can read the manga to see if you like it.

Aladdin is indeed perverted but those moments are few and spread apart.
With the latest arc, Aladdin finally got his balls to drop and now looks like an actual hero (same with Alibaba actually)

This thing will probably be a very long serie as any typical popular shounen.
Up to now, most of the story arcs were good. The anime does change a couple of things which I didn't like much though (like season 1 last episode... wtf was that?)

Finally, Morgiana is an incredible character and she alone makes following this serie worthwhile.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2379 on: November 10, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »

Totally forgot about FLCL in my previous write up (which is only noteworthy in the fact that watching alongside Kill la Kill and seeing the parallels between the two; and the dated references, hoo boy, who here remembers who Anna Nicole Smith was or the days when the GBA was brand new).

Also started on SAO season 2 i.e. "Sorry Keito, but your waifu is in another game.", also known as dot//Harem featuring the now damselfied female lead, the sister who's totally not related to you by blood so is totally okay to bang, the creepy arraigned marriage suitor who's almost assuredly the big bad of the season, and some yet to be introduced blonde chick who's probably another returning character that Keito didn't get to bang last season.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2380 on: November 10, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

the sister who's totally not related to you by blood so is totally okay to bang

Nah man, she's his cousin.

...because that makes it OK, apparently...

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2381 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »

the sister who's totally not related to you by blood so is totally okay to bang

Nah man, she's his cousin.

...because that makes it OK, apparently...

Oh. So they are related by blood. Totally still okay to tap that poon then.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2382 on: November 11, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »

^ I got turned off Magi by the first episode when I saw an <8 year old fondling breasts like old men wish they could (that, and I heard it's going to likely be one of those 500 episode shows where my bandwidth and patience said "no").  Did it get better and less perverted?  Should I check the manga?
Yes check out the manga. I mean be warned that the "<8 year old fondling breasts like old men wish they could" is sort of the series sense of humor. It basically does a few light chapters between each major arc, and they frequently include at least one chapter that has a scene like that. Those chapters however are a minority of the series as a whole.

The anime does change a couple of things which I didn't like much though (like season 1 last episode... wtf was that?)

Finally, Morgiana is an incredible character and she alone makes following this serie worthwhile.
I don't even want to think about how bad the last episode of season 1 must have been. I saw the second to last episode of season 1 and my response was basically, "I love me some Magi, I will support it anyway I can to ensure more of it gets over, but this is not Magi. Not at all. I'm out. Damn them for screwing up a major character probably because they want to make the Sasuke clone more important or some nonsense like that. Grumble grumble gumble.

However yes, Morgiana is awesome.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2383 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

Watched the first five episodes of Vision of Escalflowne because I never got into the hype train when it was actually airing.

So far it can be summarized with Hitomi going:

"Oh no... VAAAAAN LOOK BEHIND YOU... WAAUUUGH"

I never finished Escaflowne but I remember loving the ending theme. Good god is that a gorgeous song.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2384 on: November 13, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »

The opening's great stuff, too. I seriously can't think the word Escaflowne without the song playing in my head. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: