Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 04:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338067 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 204 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 295935 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2400 on: December 04, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »

Shouldn't it be hard to eat a sensu bean with a hole in your chest? How does that work?
I dunno magic. It isn't like Sensu beans wait to be digested before healing you. *shrug* Alternatively just use Dende to heal.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2401 on: December 04, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »

Well, i kinda figured they had to at least hit the stomach, but if you have a hole in your esophagus, shouldn't it just pop out? Actually, I'm not sure they ever explained sensu beans. I guess if all they need to do is chew it, I guess that's fine. Would've been nice if it was ever explained anywhere, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2402 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

Oh wow, I actually found a valid answer as to why Saiyans don't abuse senzu beans.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Senzu_Bean

During the Perfect Cell Saga, Vegeta states that he hates eating Senzu Beans, which is most likely due to his Saiyan pride.

It's all about pride, yo!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2403 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

Crunchyroll has some weird policies.

They were having a "Black Friday" membership sale (that went all weekend...) and I decided to grab an All-Access membership for a year and try out this manga thing.  I had the anime-only membership already that renewed every month but with the sale this was actually cheaper per month.

My current anime membership wasn't set to expire until late December, but in all honesty I was fine with just losing it.  It works out to just a few bucks and I was still saving money overall.  But I've been going back and forth with CR's support people because apparently that isn't even an option.  Currently my All-Access membership is set to kick in when my anime membership expires...and no sooner.  If I want to try out CR's manga there's nothing I can do but wait (well, or pay more money to upgrade my current membership status directly, but that seems silly...).

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2404 on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

Huh vaguely wish you had mentioned the Black Friday sale while it was ongoing, but I am noticing that that the simul-cast manga can be read for free with ads. So I don't really regret missing that. Besides the only one I am interested in is Fairy Tail.....because I hate myself or something, so getting a full membership would probably have been a poor choice economically.

Edit: Oh okay, seems I can only access the most recent chapter.....meh can live with that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:24:07 AM by Ranadiel » Logged
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2405 on: December 07, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

I'm now caught up on the Berserk manga and I watched the part 3 of the Golden Age Arc.  It was freakin' brutal!

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2406 on: December 07, 2013, 11:16:16 PM »

BTW, I started Space Brothers, just to try it. I was heavily moved by just the first episode, and it wasn't even really trying. I guess it's mostly because I can easily relate to the Main character on a waaay too deep to be a coincidence level, but still, I have a very good feeling I'll be in for one helluva show...once I finally decide to spend more with it. Until then, I'll be watching more Yamato 2199.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2407 on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »

Finished The Slayers: NEXT. Entertaining for the most part, despite the occasional filler episode and the last arc having like three episodes to resolve and forcing Sylphel and Zangalus (or whatever the other swordsman's name is) into the party at the last second for maximum dramabombing and being a Gourry substitute/Martina's boob prize love interest respectfully. And speaking of, Martina was pretty hilarious even if she kinda got too Team Rocket-y as the show wore on. Meanwhile, Xellos was definitely a better addition as Lina and Co.'s straight man. Anyways, up next is Princess Tutu Akira.

And speaking of....Akira. I don't know if this was progenitor of the whole "Forcing evolution is generally a bad idea/humanity's next stage of evolution is to turn into giant baby fetus blobs." plot craze in anime/videogames of the 90s/00s but it definitely has that in spades. That said, this is still a damn beautiful movie. Absolutely gorgeous in detail. Anyways, up next is Summer Wars.

And while I'm here, Kill la Kill episode 10. I will be absolutely surprised to not see this in an SRW game in the near future (maybe not Z3 but probably the next big one after that). It just keeps getting better and better.

Majestic Prince episode supplemental. Two named baddies dead and the plot continues to remain on its rails as Super Robot series of the week. Fortunately its still humorous when it doesn't take itself seriously. The sixth ranger isn't really adding anything him/herself but at least s/he's giving the rest of the cast some new material.

Revolutionary Girl Utena episode 5. Still no sign of the overall plot beyond everybody wants somebody to love/bone and blah blah World Revolution blah blah. So far, not-Prince Marth Miccy is the incestuous one.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2408 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »

Genshiken Nidaime:
So the Madarame harem is a thing. Place your bets people.

Hato
I don't see how this could happen. Madarame doesn't seem to have any homosexual tendencies and hasn't really shown any special affection for Hato.

Angela
This too I don't see happening. If anything, Madarame is scared shitless of her since she's on the offensive.

Sue
I'd say this one could happen. Sue has that fantasy maiden's first love towards him and Madarame wouldn't have any objection to her lolita figure. The biggest problem would be the lack of communication.

Keiko
This one is interesting. It's the 'opposites attract'. Personally, this is the one I'm rooting for. Realistically, I'd say the odds of it are about as good as Sue. A tie into the Sasahara family would make it pretty cool too.

Nobody
If the author wants to show a disparity between dream/otaku culture and reality, it will be this one.

Full on harem
The least likely of all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:40:08 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2409 on: December 09, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »

Aeo:  With the faults and everything, I love the hell out of the Slayers.  I may get killed for saying this, but I actually preferred Lisa Ortiza to Megumi Hayashibara; that girl really made Lina into some unique creature for the series, and her charisma for the character is telling.  I'd love to see the show keep making comebacks the way Evangelion has also had trouble staying "dead" after its initial run.

ANYWAYS.
My theatre got the print that seems to be rolling around the country for the new Puella Madoka Magica movie.  The third one!  REBELLION!!! (which I like to just say: "Reberrion!") I liked the series so I went (and how often does anime show on the big screen?).

Some of the "witch" visuals can be impressive (continuing the trend of using mixed-media and "arts & crafts" motifs to show it off), but some of it is also extremely distracting to the point I really had no idea what was happening and thought this was some sort of "method design" where team putting it together was tripping on some serious acid.  There were also some frame-rate issues or just characters pulling "derp" faces that made it kind of wonky as well (and surprising for a feature-length animation).

The beginning is also kinda hard to understand.  I think they literally at one point show the girls doing a "paddycake exorcism".  Another part involved a bus ride to go "figure things out"... but it's treated by disturbing visuals that aren't seemingly the point of the scene at ALL and aren't treated as anything important (creating it awkward for the viewer?)....

Code:
Of course, one reason for that is probably because it's a world in Homura's witch nightmare, but till that reveal happens it's played much too obscurely and strangely than cleverly.

Oh, on that note, I adore them bringing back the witch that killed Mami to have some role, and I love that Sayaka plays in that as well since both girls are these sort-of "witches back from the dead".  Sayaka's final scene was also well-played

Anyways, the film basically goes to tell that if Madoka has become a god, then Homura has decided to become Lucifer in some way.  Besides some of the clusterfucks for how that works (it'd probably take me a rewatch of the film and series to really get it), the end seemed to have made sense in some way.  I think it's fantastic that they brought back the idea that Homura's Magical Girl wish was never really fulfilled if it means Madoka's gone.  And I think that even though it's about one kiss shy of Madoka and Homura becoming full-lesbians, you get the idea that Homura's absolute love for Madoka is like a scar: It's ugly, and it's permanent... even if they may one day become enemies of each other.

I really liked Kyubey's existence in this film and end-goal.  I actually thought this aspect was pretty clever and a great addition to a generally fucked-up plot.

Nevertheless, the music, the visuals, and the action were extremely striking even if not always coherent (a few mind-fuck moments with Homura's character were very "abstract" but still very effectively done).  There was one moment in the film's...um, "opening" (goddamit Japan) that was particularly haunting yet well placed given the otherwise cheery melody.

It also clearly paves the way for another movie.

...I'm also surprised they don't have animated shampoo commercials in Japan.  Homura should be in one; they show her blowing or unraveling or elegantly flowing in almost every goddamn scene she's in.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:07:38 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2410 on: December 10, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

Watched the first two episodes of Samurai Champloo last night. Never seen it before. So far, I'm down. The premise is interesting, and I like the 3 main characters. The hip-hop vibe reminds me of Afro Samurai, which I enjoyed.
However, the English dub dialogue is hit or miss with me. Some of the lines people spout are corny at best (enemy guards saying things like "Why, I oughta!!!" when being insulted, for instance). ~Side note: I know many would cry foul on watching animes with English dubs, but honestly, I don't want to be bothered with reading shit while trying to watch something.~
In some instances, it seems the plot is compressed to fit the show's running time, but I can deal with that.

Aside from the above nicks, I do like the show. Nice and gory. The sword fights are actually pretty realistic compared to a lot of animes, that have people jumping 30 feet in the air and such. We'll see how it plays out.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2411 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »

Not necessarily anime, but somewhat relevant to it:

Live Action Kiki's Delivery Service Trailer!
http://youtu.be/20rhuaIK7jQ

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2412 on: December 12, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »

Wasn't the original movie basically a slice-of-life about a witch/magical girl's apprentice, with essentially nothing happening?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2413 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »

well, stuff happened....not a lot but it was told wonderfully imo.

Everything's Eventual
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2414 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:22 AM »

Only quoting you because Hyomin [the girl in the gif] is such a qt3.14.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 204 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: