Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:07:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332773 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 280553 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2445 on: December 24, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »

I'm not familiar enough with One Piece to make predictions on most of those, but I will predict that between Robin and Usop getting toy-ified, my money's on Robin. Last I knew, she's the more powerful and thus the more likely to suffer the Worf Effect.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2446 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

I'm not familiar enough with One Piece to make predictions on most of those, but I will predict that between Robin and Usop getting toy-ified, my money's on Robin. Last I knew, she's the more powerful and thus the more likely to suffer the Worf Effect.
I don't think there is a need for the Worf Effect in this case since:

Code:
Sugar has managed to turn a freaking army into a horde of harmless toys. She might of had help, but she still has an extremely OP power. Besides I think Robin v Sugar is more interesting than Usop v Sugar because Robin is a horrible match up against Sugar's power while Usop is probably the one of the members of the crew most suited for fighting her since he uses exclusively ranged attacks.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2447 on: January 01, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »

This is starting to get to me: Can rotating a beam of plasma actually have any effect on the beam's penetration? Because that was a sticking point I had with Gundam AGE (well, one of many) - that they had a beam weapon where its big thing was that it rotated the beam of plasma, thus making the beams more effective in penetrating the bad guy's armor. And I wasn't convinced they didn't pull that out of their butt, but then I found this: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=6490006

I can't quite understand what its talking about, but the title sounds kind of like what Gundam AGE was talking about...

So is this really possible? Because it sounds like it shouldn't be. I know its Gundam and its science shouldn't be taken seriously, but even past Gundams tended to use ideas that were thought of by the scientific community and had some semblence of thought and realism to them. From what I saw of Gundam AGE, though, I'd be very surprised to find any kind of thought put into making its science and world even remotely believable.

I know this isn't a science forum (or even a thread for science...), but I thought there were a few people here who visit this thread who understood this kind of stuff better than I do.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2448 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »

This is starting to get to me: Can rotating a beam of plasma actually have any effect on the beam's penetration? Because that was a sticking point I had with Gundam AGE (well, one of many) - that they had a beam weapon where its big thing was that it rotated the beam of plasma, thus making the beams more effective in penetrating the bad guy's armor. And I wasn't convinced they didn't pull that out of their butt, but then I found this: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=6490006

I can't quite understand what its talking about, but the title sounds kind of like what Gundam AGE was talking about...

So is this really possible? Because it sounds like it shouldn't be. I know its Gundam and its science shouldn't be taken seriously, but even past Gundams tended to use ideas that were thought of by the scientific community and had some semblence of thought and realism to them. From what I saw of Gundam AGE, though, I'd be very surprised to find any kind of thought put into making its science and world even remotely believable.

I know this isn't a science forum (or even a thread for science...), but I thought there were a few people here who visit this thread who understood this kind of stuff better than I do.

Spin != rotation.  They're talking about quantum mechanical spin there, which is very different.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2449 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

Okay. Just read up on Quantum Mechanical Spin...and my head is now killing me. But you seem to be right, it doesn't have anything to do with what I thought it did in that light.

I'm going to go back to assuming everything in Gundam AGE is stupid before I get an aneurysm @~@.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2450 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »

Okay. Just read up on Quantum Mechanical Spin...and my head is now killing me. But you seem to be right, it doesn't have anything to do with what I thought it did in that light.

I'm going to go back to assuming everything in Gundam AGE is stupid before I get an aneurysm @~@.

Well, to be fair, you are not the first to make a mistake along those lines.
Spin was discovered as an intrinsic angular momentum of atoms that couldn't be explained by the more familiar orbital angular momentum. The name specifically originates from the fact that it was visualized by the classical physics analogy of planets orbiting their own axis in a clockwise/counter-clockwise manner. This we now know to be an inaccurate way of describing the phenomena, but the name has stuck, despite it's misleading tenedencies.
I haven't watched any of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the use of spin in Gundam-AGE is total nonsense, though. Sci-Fi anime seems quite happy to randomly apply scientific termonology with little regard for the believability of the concepts in the contexts they apply them to.

I recently finished Gankutsuou, which I really enjoyed. The ending was a bit weak, but overall the story was great. The style was really interesting throughout; ranging from astonishingly beautiful to awkward and garish, but never once dull. I really could do with more adaptations of classical works along these lines.
But, god... Albert was insufferable.

Other than that, still making my way through old classic anime I missed in past years. Currently watching Kino no tabi, 12 kingdoms and last exile.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2451 on: January 01, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »

...old classic anime...[lists anime that are barely 10 years old]

I'm sorry, but that always makes me chuckle, considering how many 70's, 80's, and 90's Anime I tend to watch. :P

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2452 on: January 01, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »

I'm sorry, but that always makes me chuckle, considering how many 70's, 80's, and 90's Anime I tend to watch. :P

Heh, Perhaps old is an exaggeration. I am trying to get up to date (more or less) on series I feel I might like, and had to find somewhere to start. Most of these were released long before I started watching any anime so they feel "old" to me :P
The artstyle and animation of anime before 2000-ish tends to turn me off, even if that is a kind of shallow sentiment. ;)

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2453 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »

For those who keep up with the latest anime, what are you looking forward to this season?

Personally, I'm not looking forward to much:

Space Dandy looks like it'd be silly fun, though I'm not sending my epectations to the moon just because of its pedigree. It could still quite easily crash and burn. That said, I'll still be keeping up with it as often as I can, whether it's on Toonami or Adult Swim's Website.

Then there's Sailor Moon, which could either be really good, or just as disappointing as its predecessor. To be quite honest, the Magical Girl genre has been going pretty strong thanks to Pretty Cure, and IMO, it's gonna be tough for the new 'Moon to compete.

Speaking of which, there's a new Pretty Cure anime coming out, which I'll probably be scrambling through the dark depths of the internet to find just one translated episode of, and then I'll give up and forget about it until it becomes easier to find 3 years later. That is unless Pretty Cure gets picked up on Daisuke or Crunchyroll (which they won't. If they get one, then they'll suddenly be pressured to get the whole franchise out, and there's a lot of Pretty Cure...).

Hozuki no Reitetsu looks like it might be a genuinely clever comedy, perhaps the best recent one since Senyu and Cuticle Detective Inabi this time last year. This is the one I'm looking forward to the most after Space Dandy.

Wooser is also getting a season 2, which is nice. It'll probably be the only show I watch consistantly until it ends, since its a series of shorts and won't take up too much of my time. :P

That's all I'm looking forward to, though there also a few shows I'm holding out some vain hope that they'll be good:

Hamatero looks like it could be this year's Unlimited...if The Unlimited had a premise that was cliche and as dumb as a rock.

Nobunaga the Fool sounds genuinely interesting, and it's a mecha show on top of that, but the trailers so far have told me nothing, and I'm not sure how well its gonna be able to pull off its interesting premise.

Magical Warfare sounds kinda cliche and it looks like another battle-anime-in-a-high-school-setting, but the trailers thus far have shown that the battles might be genuinely interesting.

Buddy Complex is another Sunrise Mecha Anime. Sunrise has not had a very good track record lately. Still, I'm holding out hope that it'll at least be better than Valvrave and Gundam Builders. But only a little hope...

The Pilot's Love Song could be good, but the last few Alternate History anime revolving around fighter pilots were really really bad. Hopefully this is more Area 88 and less Last Exile, but the chances seem kinda slim judging from the trailer. Still, I'll give it a chance just because I'd love for something like this to actually work...

Noragami looks cool, but a lot of people are comparing it to Gintama, and that's an extremely high bar to pass. I doubt it'll be that good - it doesn't look much like Gintama after watching the trailer - but it'll probably entertain me. Only problem is it was picked up by Funimation. I'll need more than that to get me to commit to watching something on their players.

Lastly, there's Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil, which seems interesting from the trailers, and judging from Galileo Donna, the director has improved greatly since Kite and Mezzo Forte...which isn't saying much, since he was only narrowly above your average hentai/Grindhouse director before. :$

Oh, and I was looking forward to World Conquerers until I saw that it includes lolis in extremely revealing outfits. Yeah, no thank you...

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2454 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »

I haven't followed new anime for a while, but Space Dandy caught my eye because it looks like the exact kind of anime I like, the kind that embraces the craziness anime can have and runs with it, like Excel Saga or Slayers.

One of the problems I have with a lot of shows is that they take themselves too seriously when the world they create and the art style they use don't match at all. Death Note- took itself [way too] seriously, had the art to match, that works for me. This is on top of the fact that a lot of them sound too generic to be instantly appealing to me.

Nobunaga the Fool sounds like something I would be really interested in in concept, just the really blatant historical-ish names irk me when they could've called them just about anything. I'm nitpicky about stuff like that, but I'll check it out.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2455 on: January 01, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »

Well, to be fair, you are not the first to make a mistake along those lines.
Spin was discovered as an intrinsic angular momentum of atoms that couldn't be explained by the more familiar orbital angular momentum. The name specifically originates from the fact that it was visualized by the classical physics analogy of planets orbiting their own axis in a clockwise/counter-clockwise manner. This we now know to be an inaccurate way of describing the phenomena, but the name has stuck, despite it's misleading tenedencies.
I haven't watched any of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the use of spin in Gundam-AGE is total nonsense, though. Sci-Fi anime seems quite happy to randomly apply scientific termonology with little regard for the believability of the concepts in the contexts they apply them to.

You're not wrong, given that the Vegans ultimate motivation throughout the show is to get revenge for being left parked right next to Mars where its deadly magnetic field irradiates the Vegans causing them to die from anime sickness (note: Mars cannot support an atmosphere entirely due to the planet's lack of a magnetic field; the Vegans would have a better chance of dropping dead from being vegans or background cosmic radiation than from anything from Mars (not to mention that they could at any time decide to simply take off the brakes and drive away to some random meteorite or moon instead)).

Heh, Perhaps old is an exaggeration. I am trying to get up to date (more or less) on series I feel I might like, and had to find somewhere to start. Most of these were released long before I started watching any anime so they feel "old" to me :P
The artstyle and animation of anime before 2000-ish tends to turn me off, even if that is a kind of shallow sentiment. ;)

To be fair, given the massive amount of anime that's been cranked out of Japan, I'm not surprised that even early aughts anime feels like classics.

Anyways, finished Majestic Prince last week. Pretty much everyone was right. Serviceable, but only the humor and a few fights really keeps this boat afloat, everything else is as by the book as Pacific Rim was (without the benefit of live actors). I'll watch the inevitable season 2 unless impressions turn out to be really awful.

Also caught Trigun: Badlands Rumble last Saturday on Adult Swim. At least it confirms my theory as to why people like Trigun even though Trinity Blood sucked ass despite the two shows running on similar setups (the key difference is that Vash IS a complete goofball that almost nobody takes seriously instead of merely trying to pretend to be one like TB's Abel did; the other key difference is of course TB's supporting cast being so awful that even one of them getting horribly murdered would've improved the show tenfold).

As for what I'm watching next season, I'll probably check Space Dandy and continue on with Kill la Kill (I know a lot of people on this board have been turned off by now but to hell with you) along with whatever is in my backlog (currently Princess Tutu and Utena). After that, I'll need to recheck the schedule to remind myself of what's actually on.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2456 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »

It's mot like Gundam AGE's crappy science (which probably consisted of people going "what looks cool/fun to animate" which isn't unique to AGE anyway) was definitely not the problem that show had. You can even hand wave all the stupid "why not just move away from the fucking planet" stuff in the show if you really had to like you can with all scifi and fantasy, the show just failed from a fundamental storytelling/structure viewpoint.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2457 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »

Fun fact: As I'm sure most of you already know, Japanese doesn't have an "er" sound.  As a result the way they pronounce "Wizard Barristers" sounds more like "Wizard Baristas".

I really want somebody to make an anime about wizard baristas...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2458 on: January 01, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

I really want somebody to make an anime about wizard baristas...

Why not wizard bar mitzvahs ?
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2459 on: January 02, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »

It's mot like Gundam AGE's crappy science (which probably consisted of people going "what looks cool/fun to animate" which isn't unique to AGE anyway) was definitely not the problem that show had. You can even hand wave all the stupid "why not just move away from the fucking planet" stuff in the show if you really had to like you can with all scifi and fantasy, the show just failed from a fundamental storytelling/structure viewpoint.
It also failed on a character level in that the third main character is one of the most annoying characters to ever exist. Gen 2 was actually decent imo and Gen 1 was.....meh. Gen 3 though? Oh god shoot me.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: