Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329845 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 196 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 272133 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2490 on: January 25, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »

Welp. I've mastered the tankery that is World of Tanks: The Anime (i.e. Girls und Panzer). I gotta say, for something that sounds like Japan just took something at random, slathered it in moÚ, and called it an anime, its surprisingly watchable. There was a surprising lack of death for a show featuring the crappiest tin cans ever put on treads getting the crap blown out of them. If I had to name one joke as the best though, it would be having the Italian team getting rumbled off screen with little more than a brief mention of them.

And while I'm here....Kill la Kill: Episode 15. Alternate title "Giant Enemy Crab. Attack its weak point for massive damage.". Welp, now I know where the show's paltry budget's been getting funneled into these last couple of episodes. Also, I'm willing to go out on a limb and suspect that the Nudist Beach mecha were a homage to Macross's Valkyries in Gerwalk mode (not that they were useful as anything but canon fodder given their hilariously flawed design). Goddamn, this show's gonna have an amazing SRW entry (especially if it gets in for Z3-2).

Log Horizon: Episode 6. And at this point does the show finally step out of SAO's shadow and becomes its own beast (well episode 5 but episode 6 is where it picks a direction; and it starts with MMO╔conomics).

Princess Tutu: Episode 22.
Code:
And finally Drosselmire is revealed to be the true big bad. One more week and I'll be done with this.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Episode 12. So done with an arc that episode 13 is a recap episode.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2491 on: January 25, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »

I just finished watching AnoHana. ...I am a bit emotional right now. I watched 6 episodes last night and the other 5 tonight. I cried... a lot. :P I then made sure to purchase the series on DVD because it is worth every cent. I enjoyed it so much. The characters were fantastic and the pacing and everything was just right. There's a couple of really minor things I would have liked to have seen fleshed out more, but overall, brilliant.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2492 on: January 25, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »

Yeah yeah yeah... I think I will.  The comic is weird the first few pages in though...
Time to see what all the fuss is about anyways.  Is it going to wind down anytime soon though?  Not too crazy about starting stuff 3+ years befors it possible end-date (sorry Naruto, you were fun the first five volumes).
Oh hey I just figured out that when you said in the 70s you were talking about the video you linked to and not that you were in chapter 70-79 of Magi. x_x

And yeah the first chapter is a little weird, but it starts to find itself during the first dungeon arc. And then it really starts to pick up during the next major arc. I don't get the feeling it is near its final arc at the moment. I mean we have gotten to the point where most if not all of the major players in the world have been introduced, and one of the main characters has managed to fully master his power (which was a lot faster than I was expecting), but in terms of the overall arc I'd guesstimate that it is around the halfway mark. There are probably at least two or three more major arcs left before the final arc begins.

And hey you should pick up Naruto again! It has been in the (presumed) final arc for two+ years now. It has to be getting close to ending by now. And Bleach has been in its final arc for a year or so now (I think), so you should pick that up also.....well unless you want to read good stuff. Then stick with Magi and One Piece instead (actually throw World Trigger on the good pile also).
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2493 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

Started Z/X: Ignition, gonna be interesting to see where this goes.

Everything's Eventual
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2494 on: January 27, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »

Hamatora is really good!  I knew nothing of the source material and went into it without any real expectations but ended up thoroughly enjoying it.  Definitely not the most original thing out there, it draws cues from plenty of old school action/adventure/comedy type shows like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Get Backers, etc.  But it doesn't have the long, drawn-out sequences of Jump-type shows nor is it another friggin harem.  It's just solid fun.  I mean, when is the last time we even got a show like this?

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2495 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »

I just finished watching AnoHana. ...I am a bit emotional right now. I watched 6 episodes last night and the other 5 tonight. I cried... a lot. :P I then made sure to purchase the series on DVD because it is worth every cent. I enjoyed it so much. The characters were fantastic and the pacing and everything was just right. There's a couple of really minor things I would have liked to have seen fleshed out more, but overall, brilliant.

Brilliant is the operative word!

Everything's Eventual
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2496 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »

Been watching season 1 and 2 of The World Only God Knows. Very good adaptation of the manga. At the moment I am in the middle of the student teacher arc of season 2. I have the forgotten the order of conquests from the manga, but I am really hoping that after this arc is Tenri as I don't want to have to wait for season 3 to see her arc. >.>

Side note, I really wish the manga would get translated, but I know it would probably be incredibly niche so that isn't likely. :( Still surprised that the anime got a US release.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2497 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »

Do you guys subscribe to a channel or something?  Or crunchyroll?  I feel like it's a pain to track latest releases or old releases the way you all seem to.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2498 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:37 PM »

You should use MyAnimeList to track what you've watched.

(says the guy who hasn't updated his in over a year...)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2499 on: January 29, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »

Do you guys subscribe to a channel or something?  Or crunchyroll?  I feel like it's a pain to track latest releases or old releases the way you all seem to.

Crunchyroll lets you add shows to your queue and stuff, but honestly I don't even use that.  All I do is click on shows and then order by most recently updated.  And since most shows are on a weekly release schedule that also tells you when the next episode will be (if it's been 6 days since the last release it's probably soon...).

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2500 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »

All I've been doing is watching on Hulu and whatever comes out on Adult Swim. Given that, up until recently I haven't been following anime too closely due to earlier burn out, I know that there's a ton of recent anime I haven't checked out yet.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2501 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »

How does one Manga.

Is there any must-reads?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2502 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »

How does one Manga.

Is there any must-reads?

WHY MUST YOU DROP THIS BOMBSHELL ON ME NOW !

(I will need to ponder long and hard on this before I give you a list)

EDIT #1: Mahou Sensei Negima. The beginning is pretty rough, but Ken Akamatsu really grew while working on this manga and at the midway point, it takes on an incredible turn that while keep you hooked until the end.
EDIT #2: Mx0. The best manga ever made to be cut short and forced to have a lame ending. There's 2 version of it: the 1 chapter pitch and the actual publication (read both)
EDIT #3: Shigurui. Not for everyone, but still an incredible manga. It's about samurai, honor and rivalry. This is akin to seeing someone fall into the tiger pen at the zoo and get mauled. It's terrible but for some reason, you can't look away.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:08:14 PM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2503 on: January 29, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »

Really, Negima is your first recommendation?  I actually agree with you that it gets really good from the midpoint on, but the beginning is more than "a little rough".  It was bad.  I actually dropped it multiple times thinking "what is this crap?" and only eventually slogged my way through to the good part because a friend of mine kept insisting that no, it gets great etc. etc.  But I can't imagine telling somebody new to manga to start with Negima...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2504 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

Everything so far either has a shit beginning or a shit ending. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 196 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: