Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 191 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 263257 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2550 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »

Actually Aeolus, if you're talking about Adult Swim's lineup, I think blue exorcist is replacing Soul Eater.

TASTY!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2551 on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »

Actually Aeolus, if you're talking about Adult Swim's lineup, I think blue exorcist is replacing Soul Eater.

Unless Soul Eater finished two days ago, I doubt it, since Blue Exorcist is lined up to premier next week. Actually, I believe it will be Black Lagoon (heavily edited) that's going to be replacing Soul Eater in a month from now.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2552 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

Shit, I just checked the lineup and you're right,soul eater got shoved forward to the 2am slot, and SAO got pulled. They just finished it saturday, I kind of expected a repeat of the series at least, considering FMA is now on what, a third repeat of the series, as is Ghost in the Shell. Fucking weak, Soul Eater sucks so much.

TASTY!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2553 on: February 17, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »

Shit, I just checked the lineup and you're right,soul eater got shoved forward to the 2am slot, and SAO got pulled. They just finished it saturday, I kind of expected a repeat of the series at least, considering FMA is now on what, a third repeat of the series, as is Ghost in the Shell. Fucking weak, Soul Eater sucks so much.

At least its short compared to the other shonen stuff they've been showing. (Seriously!? Did we really need TWO Naruto shows running concurrently?) And as throughly uninteresting as Blue Exorcist appears to be, at least its something new for AS.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2554 on: February 17, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

Finished Steins:Gate. Coolest anime I've seen in a while. I loved the time machine theme to the series. The Legend of Legendary Heroes is next on tap for me.

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2555 on: February 17, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »

Currently watching Golden Time and just started Walkure Romanze. Not sure how I feel about the gratuitous fan service 2 episodes into WR, but the premise of the anime seems kinda awesome, as I love me some jousting.

I see this anime on Netflix, not sure if it's worth watching. Anyone have any ideas about Chevalier d'Eon ?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2556 on: February 17, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »

Currently watching Golden Time and just started Walkure Romanze. Not sure how I feel about the gratuitous fan service 2 episodes into WR, but the premise of the anime seems kinda awesome, as I love me some jousting.

Keep watching WR.

Biggest Surprise:
Walkure Romanze
Considering that the source material is an eroge, everyone thought this would be a T&A anime a la Queen's Blade. It turned out to be a really good anime with less ecchi than most of the other shows.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2557 on: February 17, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »

Finished Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus 3.  A lot of this was about the past and the involved backstory of one side character could easily be extracted and be sold as a manga series of its own.  So good.  And, like I said, the non-Battle Angel Kishiro manga included in these collections are a hoot to read. 

I can't wait till Omnibus 4 comes out. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2558 on: February 17, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

I see this anime on Netflix, not sure if it's worth watching. Anyone have any ideas about Chevalier d'Eon ?
I really liked it, but my tastes are a bit atypical. I've gotten flak for being one of the few people who loves Ergo Proxy. :(

If you're into historical fiction that blends occult, conspiracy and political intrigue, you'll love Le Chevalier D'Eon.
If you dislike transvestites, you'll hate it.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2559 on: February 18, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »

So Monday's Shonen Jump, World Trigger was great. The writer has definitely thought out the implications of his setting on the combat strategies that would be appropriate in this world. And that makes the series really stand out to me. I'm very curious as to the invading forces goal now. Part of me seems to think they are after Chika, but that is way too small. I'm sure the new unit will play some role soon.

I'm torn on Bleach this week. On one hand it makes last week less stupid. On the other hand, Rukia once again fails to be useful which is triggering my gender sociology senses. On my foot however, anything that wraps Bleach up faster is good, so getting opportunities to reveal w/e stupid stuff Kubo wants is a good thing as it hopefully means he won't drag the series out later to include it later. So I guess I liked the chapter?

All you need is kill was interesting. Nothing else really worth mentioning in this week's issue.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2560 on: February 18, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »

As at least one of you guys recommended, I tried two more episodes of Sword Art Online. I watched all the #3, bored to tears as they tried to make me have an emotional attachment to bland, generic characters. Oh, they died? Oh well. By episode #4, I was getting a harem vibe, which is not something I enjoy in an anime. I think I'm done.

In other news, I finished watching Kokoro Connnect. Not the best storytelling, but I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:45:19 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2561 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »

Shinsekai Yori was a refreshing change of pace, especially considering what modern anime has degenerated into. While I really liked the intelligent story and dark ambience, I was held back from loving it by a few annoying flaws.
Like the fact I didn't give a damn about the characters. 
Dividing a story into arcs weakens it, and while it was a unique approach to actually view a story unfolding across several periods, the brevity of those periods detached me from the underdeveloped characters. A brief fling isn't enough to establish a connection. They could have made it feel like I was watching Saki grow up, rather than just dropping in at major events like some distant relative I don't actually care about.

And lay-over narration is a lazy approach to cutting scenes and development. I got so goddamn sick of listening to this bitch's older self talk about what was happening like the fucking Wonder Years. If you're going to clog a well written story with detached faceless reminiscing, at least have Bob Saget deliver it. (I now picture Squeeler in a suit after that reference. Adorable.)

Also, the last stretch was not paced consistently with the rest of the series. It turned into some kind of half-assed actiony adventure quest thing, and was needlessly drawn out. There simply wasn't enough suspense to warrant the length of the latter half of the last arc, and it felt like a weak genre-swap until the climax, and then the last episode remembered it was a mystery/drama.

But all those gripes aside, it was still an impressive series, and the writing was easily on par with Dai Sato. The twists, especially, were surprising and well delivered, and given the writing and overall quality, it was really a tough call to score it at merely an 8.
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2562 on: February 22, 2014, 04:45:14 PM »

I've been slowly going through a trippy anime called Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko). It's really out there. Also watching Kill la Kill, Kanon (2006), Hidamari Sketchx365, Nisekoi, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kill la Kill is mindless fun (Trigger is not saving anime), but Nisekoi is freaking hilarious (Shaft always does great shows imo)

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2563 on: February 22, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »

Kuroko's Basketball was awesome this week and Z/X Ignition was much, much better as well! Nice week for shows with Nagi no Asukara being stellar as well!

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2564 on: February 22, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »

I've been slowly going through a trippy anime called Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko). It's really out there. Also watching Kill la Kill, Kanon (2006), Hidamari Sketchx365, Nisekoi, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Tonari no Seki-kun.

Kill la Kill is mindless fun (Trigger is not saving anime), but Nisekoi is freaking hilarious (Shaft always does great shows imo)

Kill la Kill, IMO, would be infinitely better if they actually toned it down a bit.  I think 'clever action' could score them way more points that over-the-top action.  But yeah, it's been fun.  The animation always gives you something to look at.

I liked Nisekoi (the manga) till it felt kinda repetitive. I'm gonna wait on it for a bit to get some more chapters.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 191 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: