Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327920 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 192 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 265534 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2595 on: March 06, 2014, 05:09:28 PM »

Mushishi is awesome, I love the color use, the stories are well told and meaningful and it is perfect to relax to if that makes any sense.

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2596 on: March 08, 2014, 02:05:51 AM »

Kill la Kill: Episode 21. You know, I actually enjoyed the jab the show took at the 'action girl dilemma' that virtually every non-fanservicey anime action girl has been faced with at one point or another, ranging from the legitimate question of "What happens after the fighting stops?", to the ever annoying "You have to choose between being a woman or being relevant. No alternatives, compromises, or exceptions allowed." with the question and the circumstances being heavily loaded in the former choice's favor, by straight up presenting it as a form of mind control (especially after coming off of the revelations from two episodes ago).

Also: Sunday Best == Shining Finger.

Also also: Last Week's Space Dandy ==

(And it was coherent too. I was in complete awe at points.)

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2597 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »

Oh shit Mushishi has another season? I was thinking about that today, and wishing it had more than just one season.

I watched the original season this summer and *loved* it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2598 on: March 09, 2014, 05:28:53 AM »

Yeah that episode of Space Dandy was great. Caught it on Adult Swim the other day, it was the first episode I've seen of the show and it was just fantastic. It also fueled a bit of my nostalgia to watch a new episode on an actual channel. Didn't hurt that it was Toonami of all things. Brings me back.

Probably should watch the other episodes online, haven't found an Anime to watch since Samurai Champloo. Might be fun.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:09:17 PM by siveon » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2599 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »

After years of hearing nothing but praise, I've finally started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Seen two episodes, and I have a very good impression so far. It has the theatrical storytelling I come to anime for, without also having the awful melodrama speculative fiction anime is often known for. Only thing is that the animation is quite poor so far (although I really like the art), but I've watched enough 80's series for that to not bother me too much.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:13:49 AM by Hathen » Logged
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2600 on: March 09, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »

Nisekoi can go on forever if Shaft can keep up the quality. Very fun show to relax to. Also have one more episode of Kuuchuu Buranko left. Episode 10 was fantastic, and easily the best of the series. Hoping the last episode is just decent to end the show. Kill la Kill is typical over the top fun. And to round it all off, Hidamari Sketch x365 is just heart warmingly awesome. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2601 on: March 09, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »

Watched the third episode of Blue Exorcist, and yep. Dropped like a marinara covered meatball. Three episodes in and its still a total sausage fest with an annoying, unlikable protagonist, ham-fisted melodrama around every corner (with all the 'everybody's in on it but me' conspiracies to match), an abundant amount of flashbacks to shit that happened in the previous two episodes, a requisite Japanese Hogwarts highschool setting (with an even more requisite super secret class/club post-class class), and a bunch of forced humor to try to cover for the faults, among other issues I have with the show.

Unfortunately, Adult Swim will most likely keep this directly between One Piece and Black Lagoon just to force people to watch it.

Space Dandy:  OH SHIT! Somebody dug up the fuckin' Ideon and slapped a Brave's Lion chest piece on the chest. THE UNIVERSE IS DOOOOOOMMMMED!!! (again).

Meanwhile on Space Backwater Japanese Prefecture.
Meow: "Hey. I was able to predict when that event that happened was going to happen."
Dandy: "Yeah. So was I."
QT: "Hey. Maybe we're psychic or something."
The Crew Altogether: "We must have superpowers!"
The Narrator: "NO YOU MORONS! YOU'RE STUCK IN A TIME LOOP!!!"

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2602 on: March 10, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »

Wanted to watch a sports anime since I am enjoying Kuroko sooo much, watched 2 episodes of Prince of Tennis....and then realized it's 178 episodes!!! WTF!!!

Everything's Eventual
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2603 on: March 10, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »

Wanted to watch a sports anime since I am enjoying Kuroko sooo much, watched 2 episodes of Prince of Tennis....and then realized it's 178 episodes!!! WTF!!!
If you haven't seen Slam Dunk yet then I don't even know, man.

BTW, the Kuroko manga is really good, but I'm worried it's about to end.  The only suitable opponent after the current game is probably... America. 

Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2604 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »

Slam Dunk is on my list of "to watch", unfortunately that damn list keeps getting larger and larger and larger, lol

Everything's Eventual
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2605 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »

If you think you might be interested in checking out a sports anime that's a little more realistic and down-to-earth then I highly recommend Baby Steps which starts next season (just a few weeks to go!).

Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2606 on: March 10, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »

A realistic view on tennis, sounds interesting...I was actually kinda a tennis prodigy (beat everyone on my HS team when i was 14), unfortunately I never got better after the age of 16 so this could be interesting

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2607 on: March 10, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »

Slam Dunk is on my list of "to watch", unfortunately that damn list keeps getting larger and larger and larger, lol

May be faster to pursue the manga instead.  Where a chapters takes like 5 minutes... :/

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2608 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »

May be faster to pursue the manga instead.  Where a chapters takes like 5 minutes... :/

It's always faster to read the manga, but particularly so for anything with action in it.  That's one reason I mostly read manga and then only watch animes that I really like.

...or so I say, but then I end up watching crap like Magical Warfare for some reason.  I guess there are times when you actually just want to kill time...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2609 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:26 AM »

So I just watched something called Choujikuu Seiki Orguss.

I had no idea what the serie was at all. I basically found links to the episodes and clicked one just for the heck of it.
You have no idea how glad I am that I did.

Choujikuu Seiki Orguss is a 1983 mecha anime. The main character, Kei Katsuragi, is an army pilot and due to a certain event, he is sent to a world he doesn't recognize after activating a dimensional weapon as part of an operation.

The serie is made mostly by the same key figures that made most of the old Macross.

Personally, I'm a big fan of mecha AND of 'lost in a weird world' anime (Zero no Tsukaima, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, etc.) and this is a really good combination of both style.

Now onto a deeper analysis of why I recommend this show and you should totally watch it.

WARNING: I WILL PUT SPOILERS IN CODE THINGIES. DON'T READ THEM IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE SERIE. IF YOU WATCH IT, YOU MAY BOOKMARK THIS POST AND COME BACK TO IT AFTER.

====
STORY
====

The story is good enough and mixes in small stories to keep it entertaining as the main story advances. Those small stories are actually very captivating and do well to keep it interesting as the main story is very long and slow to progress. That said, the last few episodes are just about the main story and the pace is much better.

The only thing I didn't like is related to a certain character. If you watch it, you'll know exactly what episode I'm talking about as that was complete bullshit and a waste of a well-made character.

While watching the last episode, I was scared that the ending might suck.
Then I saw it and I went fuuuuuuuuuuck it does suck.
Then I thought about something they repeated since about halfway in the serie and understood the ending.
The abrupt ending makes sense here.

Since the differential points need to die to correct the situation, past/present Kei and Olson basically kill each other, avoiding this whole mess as the differential points no longer exist.
The images after the gunshots are basically 'feel good' image as a compensation for understanding that the main characters died and won't ever come back to the ones waiting. Even worst, all the worlds were separated again too.

========
CHARACTERS
========

If anything, watch this serie for the characters. The characters are so good, it made me sad. Sad that anything nowadays is simply based on tropes and that women condition surprisingly DECREASED since the 1980s in anime.

Let me explain that last one. None of the women in this show are eye candy. None of them are 'the sexy girls' (then again, as far as the main guy is concerned, any girl is the sexy girl). While modern anime tend to show empowered women, this show made me realize how much of an excuse that is. It's basically a shield they use to hide all the pandering. The women here are normal. Painfully normal. It seems in 3 decades, we've slowly forgotten that; women can be normal.

The only 'sexy' thing in the whole show is a very well hidden Easter egg (NSFW (breasts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw_i10kYrHA - yes, that is the chick from Macross). Frankly, I didn't even see it when I was watching the episodes. I just read about it in a review after. This kind of secret thing does feel very 1980s.

Another thing you won't ever see nowadays is
the main character having sex with a girl (non graphical or erotic but plainly obvious what is happening), and getting her pregnant.
We live in the age of illusion where creepy otaku fucks demand that their waifu remain pure and as such there won't ever be any real relationship development.
Rest at ease, Orguss is ancient and they don't give a flying fuck about that crap.

Another thing you won't see is a women ship captain who gave up her women self (but not in a cool androgynous, nor still secretly sexy way). Shaiya is by far my favorite character. She's plain, completely overwhelmed by everything and yet still cool in some moments.

====
MECHA
====

I simply love the thought process of the mecha. One side has mecha with arms and the other has mecha with legs. The main characters have mecha with arms and legs. It's a very subtle yet evident indication that the main character have the better mechs but without going all-out and giving them completely superior machines (i.e. most gundams).

========
CONCLUSION
========

We often speak of rose tinted glasses and nostalgia, but this anime made a serious case about how there are hidden gems from the past.
If anything, I feel like trying to hunt some other 1980s gem that I may have missed.

If you want to watch it, go here:
Code:
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Choujikuu-Seiki-Orguss

Given that the anime is 31 years old and that it never left Japan, I don't think anyone here should feel bad about streaming it.

Also, this serie was featured in the recent PS3 game "Another Century's Episode: R" . The game looks great but apparently it plays awful =/ That too bad because it looks good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPtCDmtMNg)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:13:19 AM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 192 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: