Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 287612 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2655 on: April 05, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone: Watch the first half and the stop ;)

Man I hope I am of a different opinion, because so far I absolutely love this show!!!

That's probably because you're still in the first half...

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2656 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »

Indeed I am, damn, does it really get that bad?

Everything's Eventual
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2657 on: April 05, 2014, 08:32:48 PM »

You know, even after seeing it confirmed elsewhere, I STILL cannot believe that Bandai would let Tomino within a country mile of their Gundam franchise. I guess they must be really (and I mean REALLY) desperate to make Gundam anime relevant again after the fiasco that is Gundam AGE.

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard Build Fighters is dumb fun (without the grating pacing G Gundam had a lot of the time). I mean honestly Tomino has always (claimed) to have a hatred of sequels which is why we got lots of clusterfuck in Victory Gundam, so I'm not really sure him being absent from the franchise is a one-sided thing. It's been a long while since a "serious" Gundam TV series though (hard to believe its already been 5 years since 00's TV run ended) so I guess getting Tomino now would be as good a time as any other.

As for me, I've finished LOGH. I'm not even sure what to say about it, really. It was good.

I decided to watch some Pokemon XY since why not. Haven't watched it for like 10 years now, and I'm actually enjoying it a lot. The best part is that now when pokemon attack they don't have that dumb speedline/photoshop background thing and instead just have the actual backgrounds. The proportions on the characters bothers the hell out of me though.
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2658 on: April 05, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »

First episode of Mushishi s2 came out and I didn't even know it was a thing that was happening. With Jojo also out should be a good weekend.

thank you, thank you, thank you, I had forgotten about that, be back in a bit, lol, time to crank up Crunchyroll

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2659 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »

Will keep that in mind, and honestly reason i just "discovered " it is I seldom , at least until lately , watch anything simulcast or new at all. I despise having to wait on episodes, I wanna watch it at my pace.

I prefer to watch at my own pace, too, but for the past few years I've been trying to keep up with shows every season...and failing miserably every time. This time I'm just going to stick to two or three shows and see if I can stick to them (Captain Earth, Broken Blade, and Knights of Sidonia if I can find it). I don't know why I even bother, though, since I'm more of a retro anime fan to begin with. I guess it's just because then there's more to talk about. I know most of the places I go to people will hardly ever talk about anime that's more than 5 years old...even Gurren Lagann is starting to fade from peoples' consciousness now that Kill La Kill exists...

...I do wish I could talk more about old anime, though. Heck, just yesterday I was tempted to start watching Full Metal Panic just because I haven't finished it yet and Aeolus was watching it, so I thought maybe we could start a conversation about it. Then I remembered that I don't even really care for it and I only ever watch it as a pallet clenser (I've made multiple attempts and never get very far before I move on to something else), which I don't need right now, so I crossed it off my list and decided it was finally time to watch Kill La Kill and Log Horizon...only to wind up continuing Legend of the Galactic Heroes since I discovered that I still had the tab open since December (...yeah...). Now I'm up to episode 13 in that. Episode 12 leads into another battle so that should be cool. Didn't seem like episode 11 accomplished much of anything, though.

To be fair, if I hadn't already watched LoGH, I'd probably make that choice too. And yeah, when its not the comedy stylings of Sousuke Sagara, FMP is really mediocre (Tessa is really awful when she's not trolling Sousuke).

Aside from the fact that Keito is a lame protagonist to begin with, SAO at least has other things to distract you from that like the visuals, Asuna not being lame, or some kind of MMO-ish plot of the day. Unfortunately the second half replaces all of that with Keito inadvertently seducing his cousin and white knighting SAO (and Asuna) from the evil clutches of a serial rapist.

You know, even after seeing it confirmed elsewhere, I STILL cannot believe that Bandai would let Tomino within a country mile of their Gundam franchise. I guess they must be really (and I mean REALLY) desperate to make Gundam anime relevant again after the fiasco that is Gundam AGE.

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard Build Fighters is dumb fun (without the grating pacing G Gundam had a lot of the time). I mean honestly Tomino has always (claimed) to have a hatred of sequels which is why we got lots of clusterfuck in Victory Gundam, so I'm not really sure him being absent from the franchise is a one-sided thing. It's been a long while since a "serious" Gundam TV series though (hard to believe its already been 5 years since 00's TV run ended) so I guess getting Tomino now would be as good a time as any other.

What I've heard about Build Fighters is that it takes the best of the best part of Gundam (i.e. endgame level hot robot on robot action), and dispenses with the usual melodrama/second cour rewrites that usually drags these things down. The fact that they're not actually piloting said Gundams means that the fights can afford to get all knock down and dragged out without having to worry about minor inconsistencies like taking a Beam Saber through the cockpit or something.

Also Ramba "That's no Zaku boy. No Zaku." Ral.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2660 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:57 AM »

Epic fail on my part, but I watched My Neighbor Totoro for the first time this weekend. I know it has been out for years, and I love most of Miyazaki's other movies, I just hadn't gotten around to it until now.

Anyway, I really loved it. Funny, cute, and heartfelt. What more could you ask for after a rough week? Should be getting Kiki's Delivery Service next, and the Porco Rosso after that. Then my "Miyazaki directs" movie viewings will be complete.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2661 on: April 06, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

Aside from the fact that Keito is a lame protagonist to begin with, SAO at least has other things to distract you from that like the visuals, Asuna not being lame, or some kind of MMO-ish plot of the day. Unfortunately the second half replaces all of that with Keito inadvertently seducing his cousin and white knighting SAO (and Asuna) from the evil clutches of a serial rapist.

Other than the name being kirito... yup.
The rape scenes on Asuna are fucking disturbing.
Bytor

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2662 on: April 06, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »

Damn, I hate to hear that because after seven episodes I seriously like this show

Everything's Eventual
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2663 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »

A new season is upon us.  Some quick first impressions:

Blade and Soul: Killing, fanservice, fanservice, fanservice, killing, killing, fanservice...plot?  What plot?  Why did I start off with this anyway, I don't know...

The Irregular at Magic High School: Is it everything I hoped for?  Not really.  But it isn't bad, and honestly what I hoped for is probably impossible.  One of my favorite thing about the novels is just how much detail the other puts into his descriptions of the magic.  When somebody uses magic he can spend several paragraphs describing how every molecule is affected and how it all comes together.  Now how would you even portray that in anime?  You can't really, and the producers of this show seem to have decided to not even try.  The result is something that feels a lot more action-y, though there are more than a few subtle nods to all the stuff that's explained in the novels, you just don't stand a chance of catching them if you haven't already read the novels...otherwise, though, I think they did a pretty good job with how the setting feels.  We'll see how they manage from there.

The World is Still Beautiful: I knew nothing about this going in but ended up liking it way more than I expected.  It's based on a shoujo manga but really didn't feel that shoujo.  In fact if anything it reminded me of Moribito a little bit.  But I went a looked into it a little bit afterwards and apparently the first episode was almost entirely anime-original.  Didn't really follow the manga until the very end.  I liked the first episode a lot more than what I've seen of the manga, but I have a feeling that this was just for the introduction and they're going to switch to following the manga afterwards.  It's a weird feeling, hoping that they don't follow the manga...

The Kawai Complex Guide...: One big pile of cliches and tropes.  The execution is pretty good, actually.  The animation is solid, I like what they did with the colors and stuff, the characters are typical but they work.  My big problem is that I just don't sense one ounce of originality here.  Everything in this show has been done already.  Every character feels like I've seen them before.

Baby Steps: This is a long manga and the first episode of the anime does little more than get your feet wet.  But hey, the temperature seems about right...

One Week Friends: Characters with memory issues in anime have officially become cliche.  I'm honestly getting a little sick of it.  But this one ups the bar by having a character with the most contrived and specific memory problem yet: She only forgets people close to her (so I guess she can remember school stuff or else there wouldn't be much point in her going...oh, and her family is excluded for some reason) and she always completely forgets them every Monday.  Yes, her medical issue follows our arbitrary calendar system for some reason.  It's like this problem was invented specifically so that somebody could write a story about a kind-hearted boy trying to get close to a girl with this problem...no way, it's not 'like' that at all.  That's the only reason such a contrived medical issue could possibly exist.  OK, if you can get past that then I guess the show seems fine...but I guess I can't get past it.

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2664 on: April 07, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »

Damn, I hate to hear that because after seven episodes I seriously like this show

Friend watched it. Loved the first half and wouldn't shut up about it. Suddenly he quit talking about it. Asked him why, he said it turned into one of the worst anime he's seen.

In other news, Extending Cut of the final episode of Gatchaman Crowds (aka the best anime of last year) got subbed. :D

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2665 on: April 08, 2014, 07:16:28 AM »

Weekly Shonen Jump impressions before the scanlators release next Monday's issue.

One Piece
Code:
God damn it, I really wish that I had people to discuss One Piece with because this chapter was amazing. Dressrosa is in chaos, Donflamingo's plans are up in smoke, and Sabo is making his move. Oh and Kyrios beheaded Donflamingo. I don't actually think he is dead (either the body that was just beheaded is actually a puppet or he can use his strong power to reconnect lost limbs), but it was a great follow up scene where basically the events exactly duplicated what happened ten years ago with the set up.

World Trigger
Great chapter, more world building and some entertaining fights.

Naruto
Goddamn this arc is boring, can we just finish this series up already?

All You Need is Kill
Great chapter very emotional chapter, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Dragonball One Shot
Really? This is something that needed to happen? *sigh* The TV special for Burdock was much more entertaining and this was way too Supermanny for my tastes.

Stealth Symphony
Most of the chapter was kind of meh, but I did greatly enjoy the exchange with Troma towards the end.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2666 on: April 08, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »

Hey, I resent that.  I've been reading One Piece for over a decade (I think they were in Jaya when I started reading it, but I'm not 100% sure) - I used to post on the arlongpark.net forums but they devolved into a disgusting mess shortly after I arrived.  Hmm, wonder what brought that about....  Well, anyhow One Piece is one of all-time favorite manga; it's definitely my favorite shounen manga other than Slam Dunk. 

I just barely post in this topic because I don't really watch anime anymore other than standalone films.  I read a bunch of manga chapters each week because, well, reading a chapter takes maybe 2 minutes vs. 23 minutes, plus I enjoy the graphic novel format a great deal.  Hell, I'm like one of the six people that posted in the western comics thread.  Favorite weekly manga nowadays are probably One Piece, Kuroko no Basket, KSKM, and The Breaker: New Waves.  Yeah, I like shounen, sports, and martial arts. 

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2667 on: April 08, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »

I'm flying through Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (by my standards anyway. 3 episodes a night is a lot for me). It's such a fun show to watch. Between it and Bodacious Space Pirates, I'm not sure which I find more entertaining. Yamato is much much more serious and has a really cool setting (in terms of the universe) but Bodacious Space Pirates has Marika, so it's kind of a draw.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2668 on: April 09, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

I'm flying through Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (by my standards anyway. 3 episodes a night is a lot for me). It's such a fun show to watch. Between it and Bodacious Space Pirates, I'm not sure which I find more entertaining. Yamato is much much more serious and has a really cool setting (in terms of the universe) but Bodacious Space Pirates has Marika, so it's kind of a draw.

I'm actually only a couple episodes away from finishing Yamato 2199, I just keep forgetting to finish it off. It's a great show, though, I agree. I really love the universe (to the point where my only complaint is that the Gamilan aren't given as much of a focus as I would like). I also like the characters, who grew on me much more than I expected. The detailed and well-thought-out battle scenes were the stars in my eyes, though. They really impressed me. The story itself was a bit predictable, but I still think it was well excecuted and there were some surprising turns here and there, too.

I never could get myself to watch Bodacious Space Pirates. It seems too fluffy for a space adventure from what I can tell...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2669 on: April 10, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »

I'm actually only a couple episodes away from finishing Yamato 2199, I just keep forgetting to finish it off. It's a great show, though, I agree. I really love the universe (to the point where my only complaint is that the Gamilan aren't given as much of a focus as I would like). I also like the characters, who grew on me much more than I expected. The detailed and well-thought-out battle scenes were the stars in my eyes, though. They really impressed me. The story itself was a bit predictable, but I still think it was well excecuted and there were some surprising turns here and there, too.

I never could get myself to watch Bodacious Space Pirates. It seems too fluffy for a space adventure from what I can tell...

I enjoyed Bodacious Space Pirates because it was fluff. Also Marika. But mostly fluff.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: