Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:49:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 202 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 288316 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2835 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

boyz in robutts

Early trailers had shown a girl pilot and people thought that it would be the first main cast female gundam pilot.
I still remember the giant wave of deception that spanned the fandom when they presented the all boy main cast (as in, status quo).

Technically speaking, one of them was a girl (if he wanted to be, which he never did but had to for that one time in S2). Also there was totally that other girl who also rode in a Gundam (shaped backpack) who's name I can't quite recall (maybe if somebody did nothing but shout her name at any given opportunity, I'd might have remembered better).

The keyword is main cast. In 00 there was indeed Nena and Louise, but they weren't part of the main cast. Heck, both are pretty much treated as villains. There's also Soma who switches teams later on, but that's much farther than season 1.

There are a good number of supporting/secondary women in Gundam, but never has one been a Gundam pilot and part of the main cast.
(exception: quatra lololol)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:10:21 PM by Annubis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2836 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »

boyz in robutts

Early trailers had shown a girl pilot and people thought that it would be the first main cast female gundam pilot.
I still remember the giant wave of deception that spanned the fandom when they presented the all boy main cast (as in, status quo).

Technically speaking, one of them was a girl (if he wanted to be, which he never did but had to for that one time in S2). Also there was totally that other girl who also rode in a Gundam (shaped backpack) who's name I can't quite recall (maybe if somebody did nothing but shout her name at any given opportunity, I'd might have remembered better).

The keyword is main cast. In 00 there was indeed Nena and Louise, but they weren't part of the main cast. Heck, both are pretty much treated as villains. There's also Soma who switches teams later on, but that's much farther than season 1.

There are a good number of supporting/secondary women in Gundam, but never has one been a Gundam pilot and part of the main cast.
(exception: quatra lololol)

If Emma isn't considered part of Zeta Gundam's main cast, then I don't know what to tell you. -_-

Also Allenby was totally a part of the Shuffle Alliance (though yes she was totally sideliner material at best, but she still had her own Gundam, even if it was literally giant robot Sailor Scout).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2837 on: July 11, 2014, 04:34:36 AM »

I feel like Glassip is just Nagi no Asakura again without the weird fish people.  Seriously, I swear there's a one-to-one and onto mapping between all the character relationships in the two series.  The problem is the weird fish people were the only interesting part of Nagi no Asakura.  Take that away and the only thing left is teenage angst and melodrama.

It's only been two eps and I'm seriously about to drop this series.

Persona 4 Golden:
Why the heck did they make another P4 anime?  Well, I wasn't a big fan of the first one but I figured I should at least give it a shot.  And they seem to be going in a surprising direction: It's newgame+!  Literally.  They have Yu say things that are only available in newgame+ (like the "who are you calling a fugitive" line), and on top of that he seems to have stats that are too high for that point in the game given how to effortlessly crushes all the enemies.  Plus he's just got this sort of arrogant swagger to him like he's done all this shit before.  It's certainly a little different.

It's also very rushed even compared to the first anime (which itself was rushed compared to the game).  It's only supposed to be like 12 eps so I wonder how they're going to make all this work...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:13:07 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2838 on: July 11, 2014, 07:12:52 AM »

If Emma isn't considered part of Zeta Gundam's main cast, then I don't know what to tell you. -_-

Also Allenby was totally a part of the Shuffle Alliance (though yes she was totally sideliner material at best, but she still had her own Gundam, even if it was literally giant robot Sailor Scout).
There is also Roux who piloted the Zeta in Double Zeta (and I think she piloted the Double Zeta on occasion when Judau needed the Zeta for whatever reason).
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2839 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »

I feel like Glassip is just Nagi no Asakura again without the weird fish people.  Seriously, I swear there's a one-to-one and onto mapping between all the character relationships in the two series.  The problem is the weird fish people were the only interesting part of Nagi no Asakura.  Take that away and the only thing left is teenage angst and melodrama.

It's only been two eps and I'm seriously about to drop this series.

I'm thinking exactly the same after episode 2.
The love... hexagone? just seems so ridiculous and full of drama I won't give a shit about...
The obviously lesbian girl also feels like a total bitch.

Sword Art Online - GGO
While episode 1 was good, episode 2 felt like an elongated filler.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:42:41 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2840 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »

Just started reading Yowamushi Pedal and I think I have a new favorite manga (and possibly anime when I get around to watching it).  I relate to Onoda.  I'm obviously a dorknerdgeek, definitely not as smooth as I let on in social situations, gym class joke, etc.  And I've gotten flak from skinny-tire riders a lot about my "heavy bike" with "fat tires" (I ride a hybrid).  But then, I smoke 'em going up the hills.  Skinny tire riders who'd wipe me on the straights, I'd nail them on the hills, because I've become a half-decent climber.  Kid sorta looks like me too.  

Methinks it's a sign.  

EDIT: Cut the sentimental fat.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:40:22 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2841 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

Please don't ever use mangahere, Dincrest :(

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2842 on: July 15, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »

Is there a better fan translation out there?  Right now, there isn't any legit English language publications of the manga or anime.  When there is, I sure as hell will plunk my money down because the series speaks to me. 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2843 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »

Is there a better fan translation out there?  Right now, there isn't any legit English language publications of the manga or anime.  When there is, I sure as hell will plunk my money down because the series speaks to me. 

The anime is on Crunchyroll if you're in the US. But yeah, I'm not sure what's wrong with Mangahere for a non-licensed manga...? Unless there's a better translation, but usually everyone just uses the same scans...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:09:55 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2844 on: July 15, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »

Let's be clear: Mangahere doesn't translate anything.  Legit or otherwise.  All they do is host other people's translations.  On top of that they (as well as Mangafox and many similar sites) are for profit, making money off of ads.  And to be sure, 0% of that money goes to the original creators or even to the fan translators, it's all for the people running the website.

If that wasn't enough then also note that they frequently lower the image quality from what the original scanlators put out to reduce bandwidth costs (and maximize their profits), and they've even cut credit pages so you can't tell who actually did the translation.  Basically, they're total scum.  Believe me, I've actually done scanlation stuff before and everyone in that community absolutely hates Mangafox, Mangahere, and their ilk.

If you're going to go with scanlations (and of course I would always suggest legitimate sources when they're available) then batoto.net is a much better choice.  Or even better just go to the scanlators' sites directly.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2845 on: July 15, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »

Hm, never used that site before. Their layout doesn't seem obnoxious, the reader is nice and clean, selection seems nice...I could get used to this. Only problem is its search - it needs titles to be typed in the right order, despite it supposedly looking for titles with those words in it...but that shouldn't be too difficult to deal with. Thanks, Kevuda.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2846 on: July 15, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »

You can use mangaupdates to track series and translators.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2847 on: July 15, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »

So batoto and Crunchyroll it is for Yowamushi Pedal... until I can buy the books and blu-rays in English.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2848 on: July 16, 2014, 04:35:37 AM »

Let's be clear: Mangahere doesn't translate anything.  Legit or otherwise.  All they do is host other people's translations.  On top of that they (as well as Mangafox and many similar sites) are for profit, making money off of ads.  And to be sure, 0% of that money goes to the original creators or even to the fan translators, it's all for the people running the website.

If that wasn't enough then also note that they frequently lower the image quality from what the original scanlators put out to reduce bandwidth costs (and maximize their profits), and they've even cut credit pages so you can't tell who actually did the translation.  Basically, they're total scum.  Believe me, I've actually done scanlation stuff before and everyone in that community absolutely hates Mangafox, Mangahere, and their ilk.

If you're going to go with scanlations (and of course I would always suggest legitimate sources when they're available) then batoto.net is a much better choice.  Or even better just go to the scanlators' sites directly.

Not to mention that mangafox and so on are malware havens. Even with good antivirus software, you're still playing Russian Roulette with your computer.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2849 on: July 16, 2014, 04:53:03 AM »

I can't tell if this is a joke or if it's actually serious, but I find the fact that it even exists at all to be completely hilarious.  It's a fan-made audiobook version of the Mahouka novels.

The guy's voice is so soothing...

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 202 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: