Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 198 Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 280796 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2850 on: July 16, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »

I can't tell if this is a joke or if it's actually serious, but I find the fact that it even exists at all to be completely hilarious.  It's a fan-made audiobook version of the Mahouka novels.

The guy's voice is so soothing...

oo nice. Mahouka was easily my favorite series of last season, so i'll check that out.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2851 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »

Whee, rewatching Gundam 00 for like the fourth time. Still love it.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2852 on: July 16, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »

Let's be clear: Mangahere doesn't translate anything.  Legit or otherwise.  All they do is host other people's translations.  On top of that they (as well as Mangafox and many similar sites) are for profit, making money off of ads.  And to be sure, 0% of that money goes to the original creators or even to the fan translators, it's all for the people running the website.

If that wasn't enough then also note that they frequently lower the image quality from what the original scanlators put out to reduce bandwidth costs (and maximize their profits), and they've even cut credit pages so you can't tell who actually did the translation.  Basically, they're total scum.  Believe me, I've actually done scanlation stuff before and everyone in that community absolutely hates Mangafox, Mangahere, and their ilk.

If you're going to go with scanlations (and of course I would always suggest legitimate sources when they're available) then batoto.net is a much better choice.  Or even better just go to the scanlators' sites directly.

Not to mention that mangafox and so on are malware havens. Even with good antivirus software, you're still playing Russian Roulette with your computer.

This is why I stopped reading scanlations. I was reading a manga on Mangafox back in 2012 and got a virus so bad that I had to take it in for a professional to get rid of the virus. Granted I didn't have Adblock back then, but I still don't trust those sites, so I have yet to ever go back to them.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2853 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »

I'm at vol. 9 of Yowamushi Pedal on batoto.  Loving the series and badly want legit English releases of both the manga and anime.  Sports anime and manga are curious, aren't they?  Normally, I'm not into them at all, but I'm into this one because it's about a sport I enjoy and I relate to the main character big time. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2854 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »

I'm at vol. 9 of Yowamushi Pedal on batoto.  Loving the series and badly want legit English releases of both the manga and anime.  Sports anime and manga are curious, aren't they?  Normally, I'm not into them at all, but I'm into this one because it's about a sport I enjoy and I relate to the main character big time. 
If you like bike sports anime, might want to give Overdrive a try. It is one of my favorite sports anime.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2855 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »

I've heard good things about Overdrive.  I'll stick with YP, though, mainly because I see so much of myself in Onoda that it's uncanny.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2856 on: July 18, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »

OK, so it seems that the Persona 4 Golden anime is just a big omake or something.  It obviously is not intended for people who aren't already familiar with the story, either from the games or the original anime season.  Episode 2 just jumps around to scenes the producers liked without even paying lip service to the main plot.  Kanji just shows up without even being introduced.  Instead they focus entirely on extra side content from Golden.

In a way this is probably a good thing.  I like P4's story, but we've seen it enough already.  This isn't even trying to tell that story, it's just fan service.  No, not that kind of fan service...though it looks like next week will be a beach episode...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2857 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »

Argevollen may be average at best but Aldnoah Zero is where it's at.
The first 3 episodes were just incredible.

I love the timing of when the episodes end. Just enough to feel satiated but still waiting more.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2858 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »

Still loving the hell out of Yowamushi Pedal.  It's now transcended being just a manga to being an experience.  I used some of the tips in Yowamushi Pedal in my own cycling and it's helping me become a stronger cyclist.  Just today, I did my usual training slope faster than I ever have and with higher gearing.  Boss! 

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2859 on: July 23, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »

Techniques include 5 minutes of inner monologue on top of the hill and screaming really loud while pedaling.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2860 on: July 23, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »

Techniques include 5 minutes of inner monologue on top of the hill and [singing anime songs] really loud while pedaling.

Fixed.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2861 on: July 25, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »

Finally gave in and started reading One-Punch Man. Naturally it was as good as I anticipated. So funny, yet still pretty Badass.

Also started reading The Music of Marie, since it's short (only 16 chapters). Not sure what to make of it after 4 chapters, though...the society kinda seems too idealic to me. I think it's supposed to be a tragedy, though, so we'll see...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2862 on: July 25, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »

I've only read the manga of that. Let me just say that, assuming the anime follows the manga completely, that series is going to get messed up...well that implies it was at some point not messed up. It will get more messed up in the future.

Sir, you were NOT lying. This series gets more twisted the further it goes for sure. I'm only 14 eps in but I sure hope it keeps up this pace. AWESOME series thus far.
All I am going to say is look forward to episode 24 (just skimmed through the episode list) that is when the most iconic scene of the series should occur. Also do not watch the OVA, it has the last chapter of the series in it, but the series works fine without that.

Not quite sure what you mean since every episode seems to have a scene/bend/twist that blows my mind, but if you are in fact referring to the return of my FAVORITE participant in "the game" then yea your right...... that was totally freakin' awesome :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2863 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

I've been looking harder than most, tbh. I hated Eureka Seven (despite doing a lot of things I normally praise with Mecha, it doesn't do them in a way I enjoy and does a lot of other things I don't like, too), and had a lot of problems with Code Geass and Gundam 00 as they're pretty much the poster boys for everything wrong with the genre right now. Gurren Lagann is full-on Super Robot and doesn't count towards what I'm talking about. Gundam Build Fighters is a myth.

Only ones I got left to check that might be promising are Macross Frontier and Overman King Gainer, but I've heard a lot of complaints about them, so I can't say I'm in any rush to watch them.
Okay, I have to ask what is everything that is wrong with the genre right now? Because I love both Gundam 00 and Code Geass (just rewatched all of Code Geass two weekends ago) and I am curious as to what makes you grumpy about both.

To put it plain and simple: They lack any sense of believeability. I know most mecha aren't exactly hard science fiction, but fuck at least they used to try, and some of them got damn close. Now it's like I'm watching super robot shows, where everything's just about how rediculous the escalation can get. One of the things I liked with Argevollen at least is that it feels like it's going back to basics, and I can't help but feel like that's the best way to go.

There's a lot more I could bang on about, but honestly I've banged on about this on every other site I go to pretty hard...I'm kinda tired of doing it. :/

EDIT: I should mention I feel like this is a problem with Sci-Fi anime as a whole, but it goes double for Mecha.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:40:39 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2864 on: July 26, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »

Wow two quotes of me in a row from more than a week ago. I feel like I should feel honored or something.

Not quite sure what you mean since every episode seems to have a scene/bend/twist that blows my mind, but if you are in fact referring to the return of my FAVORITE participant in "the game" then yea your right...... that was totally freakin' awesome :)
No that's not what I was referring to. What I was referring to was the flashback...
Code:
where the female lead confronts her past self (who is in a rabbit suit) with an axe. That is basically the defining moment of the series for me for batshit insanity and general wtf.

To put it plain and simple: They lack any sense of believeability. I know most mecha aren't exactly hard science fiction, but fuck at least they used to try, and some of them got damn close. Now it's like I'm watching super robot shows, where everything's just about how rediculous the escalation can get. One of the things I liked with Argevollen at least is that it feels like it's going back to basics, and I can't help but feel like that's the best way to go.

There's a lot more I could bang on about, but honestly I've banged on about this on every other site I go to pretty hard...I'm kinda tired of doing it. :/

EDIT: I should mention I feel like this is a problem with Sci-Fi anime as a whole, but it goes double for Mecha.
I feel like 00 is bad choice for gripping on this point. Other than the stuff that the twin drive pulls out, the series is basically using Minosky (sp) particles from the original Gundam series. So it is about as classic in terms of mecha science quality as you can get (other than the twin drive, but that can get thrown into the same category as newtypes, biosensors, psychoframes, and whatever the f Amuro did at the end of Char's Counterattack).

Not going to defend Code Geass because on this point (despite the fact that I love the series).
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 198 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: